Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm having some problems restoring my phone, specifically the verifying my identity part. After it asks for my iCloud password it asks me for a verification code which it's supposed to send to my iPad but I'm not getting it.

If I choose skipping the verification and signing in through the settings app, I get the code just fine but then it doesn't restore any of my apps. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I just logged in on the website and turned off 2 step verification and that did the trick.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Eight Is Legend posted:

iOS 9 Beta users: Do videos from either Facebook or YouTube sometime show the status bar, even in landscape mode?

Yep, I've seen that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The screen replacement I got last weekend for a misaligned FaceTime camera had a dead pixel/dis rinse the screen, so I took it back to get re-replaced today. Apparently, they would have just given me a refurb :dance: but they were out of my ATT gray 64gb. :negative:

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Regarding this whole misaligned front camera thing that I keep seeing people post about, does it even have an effect on the functionality of the camera? I have a 6 and I can easily see there is a crescent shaped spot on the upper right of mine but it has no effect on the camera.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 30, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Regarding this whole misaligned front camera thing that I keep seeing people post about, does it even have an effect on the functionality of the camera? I have a 6 and I can easily see there is a crescent shaped spot on the upper right of mine but it has no effect on the camera.

No

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to get back into running before the summer is over. I typically try to jog after work, but my 6's battery is at like 30-40% when I get home so the thought of going out with GPS, music, and cadence counting for another hour is honestly not that appealing.

There's obviously the solution that I just keep it on a charger at work. That's fine and it may come to that, but I don't like the idea that it's something I might forget to do.

The other option is to throw my 6 into a battery pack but I hate keeping my phone in my pocket while I'm running. Are there any decent battery + armbad combos?

Honestly I think I may just get myself an iPod Touch off Craigslist and run with that, though I'd prefer to keep my phone on me.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Martytoof posted:

I'm trying to get back into running before the summer is over. I typically try to jog after work, but my 6's battery is at like 30-40% when I get home so the thought of going out with GPS, music, and cadence counting for another hour is honestly not that appealing.

There's obviously the solution that I just keep it on a charger at work. That's fine and it may come to that, but I don't like the idea that it's something I might forget to do.

The other option is to throw my 6 into a battery pack but I hate keeping my phone in my pocket while I'm running. Are there any decent battery + armbad combos?

Honestly I think I may just get myself an iPod Touch off Craigslist and run with that, though I'd prefer to keep my phone on me.

What running app are you planning on using? Strava should easily let you go for an extra hour with the screen off while tracking your ride/run.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Spend $12 on a cable, the habit will form. If not a better experiment then the other options.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Martytoof posted:

There's no GPS on an iPod Touch so that won't get you very far anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I realized that as soon as I left the house after posting it.

Looks like I'll just try to form the habit.

I'm using iSmoothRun. Let me configure my C25K runs and lets me use my Wahoo heart rate thing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Your issue is the GPS tracking; motion tracking and playing music will last several hours from 30-40%
I don't have any data on it, but I suspect the values from the M8 are on-par or better than GPS tracking anyway, which is always janky as gently caress at low speeds, under variable cover, with changes of direction.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

duffmensch posted:

Is there a way to have Bluetooth enabled (car stereo if it matters) and use Siri through the phone's mic instead of the one connected to the stereo?

If your car stereo phone integration has an old-school "voice tag" feature you should be able to use that to get to Siri.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
For anyone who had AT&T Next on the last iPhone upgrade - how did preordering work with your upgrade scheme? Are you able to preorder if doing a Next upgrade?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

spongeworthy posted:

For anyone who had AT&T Next on the last iPhone upgrade - how did preordering work with your upgrade scheme? Are you able to preorder if doing a Next upgrade?

This indeed. I think I'm going to go via online instead of dealing with the local ATT store. I'm upgrade eligible and did Next with my 5s, should I be ready to preorder at midnight PST in a couple weeks?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have no idea what's going to happen. I want to upgrade with Next using the "pay off phone, keep it" option on another line on my family plan. That way they can keep their phone and all, but I dunno what Apple will charge me or what AT&T will do once the new phone comes in. I could, alternatively, pay off that phone and pay the ETF which is only around $200 now (1 year into the contract) and then just start paying on Verizon or T-Mobile or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What should I be prepared to do if I want the 6s on or very soon after launch day? Be as obtuse as you like about this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Stay up until at least 4AM EST trying to order one. It'll be easier to order on an iOS device using the Apple Store app than by a computer (unless they fixed it up a lot with the site redesign). They'll probably go live for preorders at 12AMPST/3EST on the 11th with deliveries aiming for the 18th of September.

If you miss the preorder online, be prepared to wait in line at a store on launch day for a few hours. If you miss that, be prepared to wait a month.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I feel like Apple has really got the supply chain thing locked down for the 6S and also are way overestimating on demand to be safe. I would be shocked if it were sold out for more than a week or so.

How long did the 6 (which was supply constrained) last for preorders? I got one on launch day and I don't remember staying up late or running into any kind of hassle.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I feel like Apple has really got the supply chain thing locked down for the 6S and also are way overestimating on demand to be safe. I would be shocked if it were sold out for more than a week or so.

How long did the 6 (which was supply constrained) last for preorders? I got one on launch day and I don't remember staying up late or running into any kind of hassle.

My 64gb gold 6+ was ordered launch day because of the timing of my contract ending, did not receive until mid-October.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Anyone ever preorder at the same time you're switching service? I'm currently on a t-mobile prepaid plan with an android phone that seems to have one foot in the grave, but with this year's mediocre lineup of android phones I'm thinking I might give an iphone a try. I'd probably be going to AT&T and getting a 6s, I'm just curious how the timing would work out if I preordered the iphone and said I wanted to port my number to at&t at the same time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You are a total dick for starting shipping times chat before the phone is even announced.

A hilarious total dick.

Personal anecdote: At pre-order launch there were traffic issues that led to over an hour of hitting refresh on both att and apple’s portals until a preorder could be made that still took 3 weeks to arrive.

If you are willing to try the store everyday at open you’ll almost assuredly get a phone in the first week or two (due to returns and how Apple manages their inventory in the first place) but those without such luxury were waiting until mid-November for certain models and colors. if you find that you picked the one that has the longest wait and decide to switch, you’re back at the end of the queue so it’s still not so simple.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So if I want a 6S plus on the first day they are available for sale, should I try to preorder one, or just go to the nearest apple store when it opens?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

So if I want a 6S plus on the first day they are available for sale, should I try to preorder one, or just go to the nearest apple store when it opens?

Preorder.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thwomp posted:

Preorder.

do you then pick it up in store on launch day?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Preorder at the exact time preorders open and be home* the day it is delivered.

EDIT: No, they do not do preorders for store pickup last I checked.

*Alternatively, have the UPS/FedEx redirect service and get it sent to the nearest location convenient for you, and pick up there. This is actually the better option since iPhone delivery day is horrible for delivery people and they like to not even bother knocking if it even remotely looks like no one is home.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

spongeworthy posted:

When you order via the Apple site you will provide details about your AT&T account and the line that has the upgrade you wish to use. You'll be prompted to enter either a 2 year or NEXT plan and then the ordering is the same from there. You may not get the 2 year option but it was kinda random for me.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

When you order via the Apple site you will provide details about your AT&T account and the line that has the upgrade you wish to use. You'll be prompted to enter either a 2 year or NEXT plan and then the ordering is the same from there. You may not get the 2 year option but it was kinda random for me.

Great, thanks. Was hoping to bypass the local ATT store.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Google released an Android Wear app for iOS, it seems it largely will interact with Hangouts, Inbox, and the other Google ecosystem apps.

It only works for now on the LG Urbane, which is $350; so it's actually more expensive than an Apple Watch for less function.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

Google released an Android Wear app for iOS, it seems it largely will interact with Hangouts, Inbox, and the other Google ecosystem apps.

It only works for now on the LG Urbane, which is $350; so it's actually more expensive than an Apple Watch for less function.

Oh great, I guess this is why Google has thus far refused to work with the apple watch other than just the regular message delivery.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Isn't the minimum price for an Apple Watch the same $350?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, and the LG Urbane is surprisingly decent looking, unlike the Apple Watch.

And considering how little actual function the Apple Watch has, it's kind of a wash.

Don't buy smart watches.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, and the LG Urbane is surprisingly decent looking, unlike the Apple Watch.

And considering how little actual function the Apple Watch has, it's kind of a wash.

Don't buy smart watches.

Or not be surprised at the limited functionality of a first gen component. I think people still expect way too much from v1.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Android Wear app for iOS at least pairs just fine with a Moto 360.

It also is extremely limited, especially in that the watch has zero means of finding out if you acknowledged a notification on your phone. So every notification gets echoed onto the watch, and then you have to manually swipe it away.

I surmise the Pebble probably works in the same manner because of the same limitations in ANCS, but I've never tried one.

Music controls seem to work, and that's about all I've otherwise tried.

In a one word summary, "meh."

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Or not be surprised at the limited functionality of a first gen component. I think people still expect way too much from v1.

Yeah for sure. People seem to forget that the original iPhone didn't do much either. I think the main reason it took off is that it had a reliable browser that was easy to use and could load almost any webpage. That and it didn't constantly crash like every other smart phone at the time.

I see the same thing with the Apple watch. It doesn't do everything yet but it sure does a lot more than a dumb watch just as the original iPhone did a lot more than a dumb phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Haggins posted:

Yeah for sure. People seem to forget that the original iPhone didn't do much either. I think the main reason it took off is that it had a reliable browser that was easy to use and could load almost any webpage. That and it didn't constantly crash like every other smart phone at the time.

I see the same thing with the Apple watch. It doesn't do everything yet but it sure does a lot more than a dumb watch just as the original iPhone did a lot more than a dumb phone.

Partly, yes. I think it's biggest accomplishment was treating the phone experience as its own unique thing instead of trying to make it a small computer like WinMo and Palm had been doing, likely just as an extension of the PDA philosophy of being a "productivity" device first and entertainment/leisure device second.

Edit: To be clear, anyone trying to argue that Android Wear on iOS is anywhere close to the functionality of the Apple Watch on iOS is bonkers. Google will always be limited in how functional Wear can be on iOS, but it's nice to see them at least try.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I'd never consider a non apple watch. Good to have competition though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haggins posted:

Except that a bad phone in 2007 was vastly more necessary to living in modern society than a bad watch* is in 2015 (or even a good watch).

*It's accurate, but its faces are either smaller than a $15 Timex that will be more accurate than is necessary for day-to-day use, or ugly and cheap looking

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Except that a bad phone in 2007 was vastly more necessary to living in modern society than a bad watch* is in 2015 (or even a good watch).

*It's accurate, but its faces are either smaller than a $15 Timex that will be more accurate than is necessary for day-to-day use, or ugly and cheap looking

Great, so you don't find a use for it. That doesn't mean the folks who own one (such as me) find it to be useless. Honestly if you want to discuss watches take it over to the correct thread and crap it up, this threat aint about no watches.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The original iPhone didn't do much? Maybe it didn't in terms of a bloated windows phone piece of poo poo but it felt like god drat voodoo magic and the web browser was a very big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I agree with that, and I don't think watches are going to become a necessity like smart phones have. Though I'm sure it'll be a cool gadget for the people who use it.

I haven't got one yet (other priorities keep popping up) but I do plan to get one. Before it was announced/rumored I was planning on spending around $300 on a nice dumb watch. I don't mind stretching my budget by $100 just for notifications, apple pay, and seeing the weather on my wrist.