Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My Netherlands game came to a grinding halt when my colonial nation declared war on the Cree and got facerolled by the alliances there. Don't send a stack of 4 infantry against 25k natives, you imbeciles.

I was confused as to why I wasn't called in the war when I had 12k troops in that very same colony. So I wanted to help them out, but hadn't revealed Cree yet and couldn't declare war on them, which is silly. So I declared war on one of their allies and got that gut-sinking "Badunn" sound of taking a stability hit. Yeah, I have no idea what caused that. I don't remember having any sort of ongoing truces there. But it doesn't matter, I'll never recover from sitting at -3 stab with no admin power saved up. :negative:

This is the third time I make this exact same mistake and ruin an ironman game. There really ought to be an option to just make it impossible for me to declare war when I'm about to take a stab hit. There's virtually no reason to ever break a truce, so the whole thing is just schmuck bait for people like me who can't be arsed to read the whole declaration of war window before starting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How do you guys usually go about actually trying to install a PU over someone (I mean in terms of strategy, not mechanics)? I realized the other day that in like ~700 hours with this game I don't think I've ever gotten a PU that wasn't with a historic partner or based on an event. Is there a strategy to it other than just getting a RM and praying?

And speaking of PUs, for Austria's 3 PU achievement do you still eventually get a CB for it against Burgundy like you do with Bohemia and Hungary? Or does the Burgundian Inheritance screw that up now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They should just scrap the "negative prestige = break union" mechanic. If you still wanted prestige to matter, very low levels could have increasing relations penalties, and make the junior partner more rebellious. Especially if the junior partner itself is a major power.

I think they actually might have and I missed in the patch notes? Playing my first 1.13 game, Burgundy is at negative prestige, but didn't lose it's unions.

quote:

Realistically, the very existence of such a personal union would probably justify a coalition, even without a single aggressive move by Spain.

Exactly. The coalition system could definitely use some work. I think trying to build a system that encouraged smaller nations to contain larger ones makes way more sense than Victory Cards.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

How do you guys usually go about actually trying to install a PU over someone (I mean in terms of strategy, not mechanics)? I realized the other day that in like ~700 hours with this game I don't think I've ever gotten a PU that wasn't with a historic partner or based on an event. Is there a strategy to it other than just getting a RM and praying?

And speaking of PUs, for Austria's 3 PU achievement do you still eventually get a CB for it against Burgundy like you do with Bohemia and Hungary? Or does the Burgundian Inheritance screw that up now?

It's mostly luck and Royal Marriages, yeah. I believe Prestige is also relevant, you need more prestige so your dynasty succeeds to the throne rather than a local noble.

There used to be an Austrian mission to PU Burgundy if it was past the year 1500, but I just checked the file and don't see it anymore. It may have been removed when they changed the Burgundian Inheritance.

So you'll need Bohemia, Hungary, and to engineer a third PU somehow. Poland might be a good target as you can reliably get Habsburgs on the elective throne for bonus points and then when they lose Elective after 1600 you should be able to secure a Habsburg PLC. Once you have a Habsburg on the throne it becomes a lot easier to PU.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

I never got a PU mission for Burgundy. You get two for Bohemia and Hungary like you said, so I think you need to get third PU the old fashioned way. Spread that von Hapsburg seed. Get Diplomacy and Influence for as many relations and diplomatic reputation as possible. As far as I know, it's pure luck. Some people say it depends on your prestige and legitimacy, but really its a mystery to me.

Well, if you have the largest development in Europe or the area, you may be able to be the one that can contest a succession and start a succession war that way to get a PU.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

In general gameplay just marry the old heirless kings, then if dynasty switched to yours force them into union.
Some unique opportunities around the start of the game:
- Bohemia, starts in interregnum, make a royal marriage with them and if you're the biggest one to marry them they get your dynasty in 2 or so years, when interregnum ends. However you don't have much time, there is an event installing Podebrad dynasty, so if your dynasty go th throne attack and put them into PU immediately. Doesn't work with Hungary or Poland although they too start in interregnums.
- Denmark, loses PU with Sweden because they start independence war, usually gets beaten to under 100% total warscore when Sweden retakes their cores. But they get restoration of the union CB on Sweden for 10 years after union breaks. Quickly vassalizing them through war(declare while they're fighing Sweden) allows you to use their union CB. The best part it puts Sweden in union with you, not with Denmark. Same deal with Norway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pyromancer posted:

The best part it puts Sweden in union with you, not with Denmark. Same deal with Norway.

Wow so in theory I can just do that and get the Bohemian PU with Austria for the pen is mightier achievement. Might have to try it and see if a no CB war against Denmark for the Union CB is worth it/doable.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Realistically, the very existence of such a personal union would probably justify a coalition, even without a single aggressive move by Spain.

Hmm, I wonder what would have happened in such a situation in real life ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Spanish_Succession

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Wow so in theory I can just do that and get the Bohemian PU with Austria for the pen is mightier achievement. Might have to try it and see if a no CB war against Denmark for the Union CB is worth it/doable.

Denmark will annex Holstein pretty quickly, I'm not sure how the timing would line up with snaking PUs from Denmark, but you might be able to pass the first reform and use the Imperial Ban CB against them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is an escape to India still the best way to go for The Re-Reconquista? Escaping to Africa sounds easier, but their lands are lovely, and all the Berbers have increased coring cost.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

What the hell happened there? Did he hand all of that to AI Georgia in a 100% reverse peace deal?

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up a complaint I have with the game: Personal Unions really need some work. As Denmark, I actually had a lot of fun trying to keep a handle on Sweden, but the AI absolutely cannot handle it. Sweden winds up declaring war on Day 2 all the time, and then Denmark has to contend with typically Lithuania and England committing their entire army to Scandinavia. And when Sweden eventually wins, all the lost 10k vs. 1k battles means Denmark has negative prestige, and loses it's union over Norway too. The same issue shows up with Burgundy, where losing one war means all the lowland unions break, while by 1444 the administration of those territories had already been reasonably centralized.

In my same Denmark game, Spain got a PU over France; France and Spain were each their full grown selves, but France just spent the entire time as a loyal subject, which is kind of ridiculous. There's no way major powers should be content to live under a PU like that.

I really hope Paradox eventually looks at how to make the AI a little smarter about committing its entire army to some distant war it really shouldn't give a poo poo about. Perhaps increase the likelyhood of nations giving war subsidies to allies or being able to 'loan' them a certain amount of manpower.

Going hand in hand with this, I'd like to see projecting power and large armies across the globe made much more difficult. Vastly increase maintenance maybe, for units the further they are from home, with this penalty shrinking and reducing as you increase your tech levels towards the late game. Make you depend on colonial militia (direct command if under 50% liberty desire?) and native mercenaries in your far flung holdings.

The new Fort system is great and amazing, but far too many wars still feel a bit too WW2ish for me. Whelp, it's 1489 and England has launched 40,000 men in an amphibious invasion of Finland/Archangel to defend Novgorod... :sigh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It really is nuts. As England I declared war on France, using the colonial war CB in North America. France's ally Naples - who possessed zero provinces outside of Europe - shipped 35k men, 90% of there army, to New England.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a handy list anywhere of what Ideas AI countries take? Or at least a way to look that stuff up in some buried file somewhere? Would be nice to know if a potential vassal takes Religious or not early in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

.\Europa Universalis IV\common\countries\...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there any way to declare war on a free city without the emperor joining, or am I going to have to wait for religious leagues or something to grab motherfucking Friesland out from under giga-Austria's nose while they park sixty thousand men right next to my border?

Their only ally is also a free city

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

Is there any way to declare war on a free city without the emperor joining, or am I going to have to wait for religious leagues or something to grab motherfucking Friesland out from under giga-Austria's nose while they park sixty thousand men right next to my border?

free cities are under the protection of the emperor no matter what, you could try declaring war on one of their allies and annexing them, assuming they join the war

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

It really is nuts. As England I declared war on France, using the colonial war CB in North America. France's ally Naples - who possessed zero provinces outside of Europe - shipped 35k men, 90% of there army, to New England.
Naples is pretty crazy. In a Japan game Naples shipped over like 20k troops to the Japanese mainland. Took me by surprise as I was expecting them to be a non-contender in the war and it was annoying since I had to ship an army back home to deal with them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
-75% supply limit after all other modifiers in areas outside your colonial range until dip tech 22, or whenever ships become immune to supply range attrition, would be awesome

You'd still be able to ship troops around and mess people up but you wouldn't see really annoying stuff like France shipping 100k troops to gently caress up some random Dutch colony in Asia when their closest port is in North America

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What happens when AI england is attacked by more than one fleet at a time?

AI really needs to learn that you don't need to use a big fleet to blockade a strait

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Mechanics check: Noble republics are allowed to switch/upgrade their government types to other republics, right? It's only merchant ones that are "stuck" unless they force a switch?

I want to see what effect the change to colony natives has (great change, btw. the lower development cost was doing literally nothing 99.9% of the time) and am thinking about doing a gimmick Russia game where I stay under 20 provinces (vassals don't count so i can still feed them) and switch to a noble republic through the decision, eventually becoming an administrative rep and then a rep dictatorship.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 31, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

I really hope Paradox eventually looks at how to make the AI a little smarter about committing its entire army to some distant war it really shouldn't give a poo poo about. Perhaps increase the likelyhood of nations giving war subsidies to allies or being able to 'loan' them a certain amount of manpower.

Going hand in hand with this, I'd like to see projecting power and large armies across the globe made much more difficult. Vastly increase maintenance maybe, for units the further they are from home, with this penalty shrinking and reducing as you increase your tech levels towards the late game. Make you depend on colonial militia (direct command if under 50% liberty desire?) and native mercenaries in your far flung holdings.

The new Fort system is great and amazing, but far too many wars still feel a bit too WW2ish for me. Whelp, it's 1489 and England has launched 40,000 men in an amphibious invasion of Finland/Archangel to defend Novgorod... :sigh:

in a recent game, I declared war on russia, attacking from the east, and got my ally gb to come in from the west. I expected them to be useless, but they actually are very helpful in this patch. they tossed their entire army at russia! and lost every man before I managed to siege my way through the urals. would've been in a bit of a tight spot if anyone attacked them, or rebelled, or...

pretty funny flip on the traditional Paradox GB (which was useless as an ally for land wars), but like people are saying, yeah, maybe needs some tweaking.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

Mechanics check: Noble republics are allowed to switch/upgrade their government types to other republics, right? It's only merchant ones that are "stuck" unless they force a switch?

I want to see what effect the change to colony natives has (great change, btw. the lower development cost was doing literally nothing 99.9% of the time) and am thinking about doing a gimmick Russia game where I stay under 20 provinces (vassals don't count so i can still feed them) and switch to a noble republic through the decision, eventually becoming an administrative rep and then a rep dictatorship.

You can freely switch from aristocratic and plutocratic republic types, unless you are one of the special republics (including merchant republic type)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Is an escape to India still the best way to go for The Re-Reconquista? Escaping to Africa sounds easier, but their lands are lovely, and all the Berbers have increased coring cost.

Anybody that has done this achievement able to comment on this?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

skasion posted:

Free cities lose their government form if they have more than one province. It's kinda situational, but if you somehow manage to sell them a province or sucker them into annexing a neighbour/give them land in a peace deal by transferring control of the province to them, they lose the Emperor's protection. That's how I managed to snag Friesland.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Node posted:

I've been trying to crack this nut for a while now and while I haven't pulled it off yet, however I can pretty confidently state that blobbing up North Africa and then wheeling around to restore Al Andalus is not the correct answer. Portugal is obscenely aggressive in North Africa this patch and has the money, manpower, and allies to absolutely clown on you. Tunis also has a roughly 100% chance of allying the Ottomans so good luck getting that land anyway. Snagging Tlemeclen to buy yourself some more time is a good idea, though. You can usually get Tunis and Morocco to both ally you and do most of the heavy lifting whether or not they rival each other.

I forgot where I read it, but I remember a suggestion of escaping over to the Caribbean. Which, while I'm skeptical on how useful it would be, would at least make for an interesting game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Escaping to the Carribean used to be a solid plan because it had like 250 base tax or something like that in that region but it's gotten worse every patch to the point where it's insanity now. You should escape to Brazil or Eastern America instead, because they are worth more in the long run. Carribean will be more valuable as a CN most likely.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Node posted:

Anybody that has done this achievement able to comment on this?

Is it even possible to escape to India since the change where you can't demand provinces you can't core?

Maybe if you vassalize a neighbouring nation? India is still rich as gently caress and with your technological advantage conquering it should be doable in a reasonable time, so if you can pull it off it's a solid plan. That's how I did it many patches ago.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chickpea Roar posted:

Is it even possible to escape to India since the change where you can't demand provinces you can't core?

Maybe if you vassalize a neighbouring nation? India is still rich as gently caress and with your technological advantage conquering it should be doable in a reasonable time, so if you can pull it off it's a solid plan. That's how I did it many patches ago.

You always had to steal a province or two in Africa first.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Larry Parrish posted:

You always had to steal a province or two in Africa first.

Why is that? I'm pretty sure I didn't do that in my run.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Do you get the same amount of cash from a trade node by using a merchant to collect trade vs having your main trade node collect on its own without having a merchant collecting there. Trying to figure out if there's a difference between having my main trade node in Genoa/Venice as Italy if i'm planning to collect from the other one anyway.

Edit: V-Awesome, thank you!

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 31, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Back To 99 posted:

Do you get the same amount of cash from a trade node by using a merchant to collect trade vs having your main trade node collect on its own without having a merchant collecting there. Trying to figure out if there's a difference between having my main trade node in Genoa/Venice as Italy if i'm planning to collect from the other one anyway.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding:

Some of the trade stats got tweaked in the last few patches to make for simpler math. Trade Income modifiers don't exist anymore, Trade Efficiency only affects income (basically it's the new Trade Income) and not power.

-Collecting ONLY in your home node (with or without a merchant) gives you +10% Trade Power in your home node for each merchant you have steering. This is nice early on when you may not be dominating your home node yet, but once you've secured it the extra trade power is not all that useful.

-Collecting outside your home node has two downsides: you lose the +10% Power for each merchant steering toward your home node, and collecting in foreign nodes comes at a large trade power penalty (I thought it was -50% but I just checked in a game and it's -65.5% so it must be calculated off something).

-Sending a merchant to Collect (in your home node or otherwise) also grants +10% Trade Efficiency (income, not power) in that node. It's probably not often worthwhile to have a merchant in your home node, but it'll give you a modest income boost.

I would say it is almost always a good option to collect in a foreign node or two once you've got a dominant trade power share in your home node. The trade power bonus for having merchants steering toward your home node (and only collecting there) is not of much use once you control most of your home node, and if you have a significant share in valuable foreign nodes you can't steer home, collect there.

In your example, I would probably move my home node to Genoa and have a merchant collect in Venice. Genoa is IMO a better end-node, and taking the trade power penalty in Venice will hurt a lot less.

Edit: or another way to think about it, the only "feeder" node of Venice that can't also be steered to Genoa is Wien, Genoa simply has a better location. Also, as Italy it will be easy to be the only nation collecting in Venice, or at least have a near-100% share, so the trade power penalty collecting from it as a foreign node is irrelevant. Genoa you'll have a lot more competition, so you don't want the power penalty.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 31, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
1.13.1 has some awesome changes.

quote:

- Added proper acceptance logic for Demand Unlawful Territory, instead of AI always saying no.
- Added console command 'bearhaslanded'.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I assume that "bearhaslanded" is not a Red Alert 3 reference?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Poil posted:

I assume that "bearhaslanded" is not a Red Alert 3 reference?

It's the silly "Jan Mayen" invasion thing.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Not the first, Not the second, not even the third, but the fourth time I've managed to lose my entire fleet of transports and galleons to coastal attrition. :negative:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

These AE changes are kind of nuts though. AIs are blobbing all over the place in the HRE with nary a trace of coalitions.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

PittTheElder posted:

These AE changes are kind of nuts though. AIs are blobbing all over the place in the HRE with nary a trace of coalitions.

I'm seeing the same thing. Swung a bit too hard in the right direction by upping the threshold to 50.

e: Also, Poland eating into the HRE without repercussions.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, haha... I started a France game going for the two newest achievements. Bohemia became emperor and so I figured it would be easy for me to become protestant and whoop down the empire...but now Bohemia owns all of Brandenburg, half of Poland, Saxony, etc etc.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I finally finished my first Paradox game, despite having played since EU2. The last fifty years were a huge slog, since there weren't any other non-colonial nations in the world. Here are a few highlights, in case anyone is curious what it looks like to own everything.

I just wish I could have gotten my dip tech to 32, I was a year or two behind that, unfortunately. I decided to drop an idea group and pick up Exploration around 1800, just for the colonists, since nothing else mattered at that point.

Of note is my manpower, which the game couldn't handle, I guess, so it gave me a negative value. Also, note the lack of scroll bar, woo!

I managed to convert every single one of my provinces, and everything but colonies being cored or developed was cored.

Here's my income at nearly the end. I built manufacturies in every province that I could build one at around 1810, and I build every counting house I could. Apparently, if you own every province, Genoa is the best end node, even if I weren't collecting automatically in Constantinople. Although I might have been able to steer some of that to the English Channel.

I'd complained a bit in an earlier post that I couldn't get out of the Revolutionary Empire government type, but I was wrong. Once my tradition was 0 and my monarch died, I became an Enlightened Despot, and all my cultures were accepted with the other bonuses. I'm not sure why there's that red blob; those are the Germanic cultures that I got accepted for being the Holy Roman Empire, so they were green in the province view.

I didn't get a screen shot, but colonies get expensive, fast. With that income, I went -900 at around 20 colonies. I wanted to grab every single non-colonial nation province and I managed that, though a few were still developing at the end.

And so ends my Protestant Ottomans Revolutionary Holy Roman Empire one-tag world conquest. It was definitely a lot of fun, and really was tedious only at the end and a couple of road bumps here or there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of 1.13 AE:

quote:

1.13 has been updated with a small hotfix to fix a math error that was resulting in unintentionally low levels of AE generation,

• Locked thread