Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, not really. Do you think Tony would've opened up about any of this to Annie? Or that Tony's remorse makes his years of neglect totally justified from Annie's perspective?

Donny is a good friend but he knows Tony hosed up.

Donny also has a wife and a daughter. He could be thinking, "What if this happened to Kat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, not really. Do you think Tony would've opened up about any of this to Annie? Or that Tony's remorse makes his years of neglect totally justified from Annie's perspective?

Donny is a good friend but he knows Tony hosed up.

It's not about him opening up to Annie or not, it's about him opening up about things that are clearly painful and traumatic to him. Even if you think Tony's in the wrong in more ways than he admits a friend would try to show some support. The only reason for not doing so to me would be Donny not wanting to do so while he knows Annie's watching.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

YF-23 posted:

It's not about him opening up to Annie or not, it's about him opening up about things that are clearly painful and traumatic to him. Even if you think Tony's in the wrong in more ways than he admits a friend would try to show some support. The only reason for not doing so to me would be Donny not wanting to do so while he knows Annie's watching.

It's possible Tony needed someone to listen more than he needed support. He's an emotionally difficult person.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Tony makes it kinda hard to be his friend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tenebrais posted:

Tony seems like the kind of person who would get really freaked out if someone touched him when he was asleep.

Actually, Tony seems like the kind of person who was touched exactly once by his mother. I looked at every panel of the last three chapters again, and he doesn't have any physical contact with anyone. (The ether stuff does not count.) Presumably he touched Surma at some point, but I am starting to doubt that as well. Maybe he was also born in a vat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Actually, Tony seems like the kind of person who was touched exactly once by his mother. I looked at every panel of the last three chapters again, and he doesn't have any physical contact with anyone. (The ether stuff does not count.) Presumably he touched Surma at some point, but I am starting to doubt that as well. Maybe he was also born in a vat.

Tony is a forest animal that turned human.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Air is lava! posted:

There's a picture of his arm around Surma and hers around him, but other than that I don't think there's anything.

Maybe his mother touched him too much.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rei_ posted:

looking forward to Donny turning out to be Diego's brain uploaded into a clone body

This is more likely than Renard killing Tony.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I want the next panel to be Tony teaching class the next morning, unshaven, hungover as gently caress and stinking of booze.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YF-23 posted:

i think the showing of support that tony wants and get here is donny continuing to hang out with him even though he is a maximum spaz

he's not exactly a hug it out kinda guy

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Tony definitely had contact with Surma, both emotional and physical.

That one panel really says a lot about the two of them. Especially keeping in mind that it's followed by this page:

It's not just that he hides from everyone but Donnie and Surma, it's that Annie in particular is hard for him to deal with. We got some hints about why in this chapter and in the Brinnie chapters; he thinks she blames him for her death, he's terrible at dealing with emotional intimacy, and basically the dude is a huge mess.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pistol_Pete posted:

I want the next panel to be Tony teaching class the next morning, unshaven, hungover as gently caress and stinking of booze.
He'll have cleaned himself up pristinely, the dark rings around his eyes will be the only indicator this ever happened.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

idonotlikepeas posted:

That one panel really says a lot about the two of them. Especially keeping in mind that it's followed by this page:

It's not just that he hides from everyone but Donnie and Surma, it's that Annie in particular is hard for him to deal with. We got some hints about why in this chapter and in the Brinnie chapters; he thinks she blames him for her death, he's terrible at dealing with emotional intimacy, and basically the dude is a huge mess.

Don't forget that he seems to, on some level, actively resent his daughter "taking" his wife's soul, a thing he can't seem to let go of. This is why I think tony is still a bad guy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

UndyingShadow posted:

Don't forget that he seems to, on some level, actively resent his daughter "taking" his wife's soul, a thing he can't seem to let go of. This is why I think tony is still a bad guy.

There's absolutely nothing to indicate he resents Annie for this, other than old speculation about what his feelings towards her might be (which just got resolved in this chapter).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

UndyingShadow posted:

No, I don't agree. That was the assumption readers had but this entire last chapter has been disproving that notion.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

UndyingShadow posted:

Please catch up with the comic. Spoilers Tony mostly blames himself and knows he is a lovely dad to Annie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that skull the same as the one in the cave?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

that is a coyote skull (it's Coyote)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't think he explicitly said that he thinks she blames him. It's left vague, but the one thing he explicitly says is that he blames himself for it; and from that stem a lot of emotions that confuse his position. Instead of thinking that Annie hates him for failing to save Surma, he more likely believes himself to be unworthy to stand by her as a father due to his failure. The two are not mutually exclusive, but I think the second is more explicit than the first.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YF-23 posted:

I don't think he explicitly said that he thinks she blames him. It's left vague, but the one thing he explicitly says is that he blames himself for it; and from that stem a lot of emotions that confuse his position. Instead of thinking that Annie hates him for failing to save Surma, he more likely believes himself to be unworthy to stand by her as a father due to his failure. The two are not mutually exclusive, but I think the second is more explicit than the first.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1549

i mean i guess it's a little bit open to interpretation, but that's the straightforward one

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Before we can begin...Katerina. Go to the nearest Jack-in-the-Box and get me a dozen bacon cheeseburgers. The class will sit in silence until you return."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

The Coyote skull is Coyote saying "nice dream you got there, mind if I visit?" because next page he's talking to Annie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

UndyingShadow posted:

Regarding this page:

This is a man who has just that moment been told that his wife is dying and he can't do anything to prevent it. People take time to process poo poo like this.

If he truly blamed Annie for taking Surma's soul he wouldn't have been glad Zimmy stopped his soul-extraction surgery (which he started without knowing it would harm Annie).

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Entire arc will have been worth it if Renard draws on Tony's face in the bonus page.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Entire arc will have been worth it if Renard draws on Tony's face in the bonus page.
Yes this yes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Young Annie looks like she's got Kat's face pasted on her.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Tony is far more sinister than Diego

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

He literally cannot help it, though. The prosthetic technology isn't there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

karmicknight posted:

He literally cannot help it, though. The prosthetic technology isn't there.

ha this just reminded me, what are the odds kat's wierd biomech limb poo poo comes into play

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tony isn't loving looking at annie like YOU LITTLE poo poo YOU MONSTER YOU KILLED MY WIFE hes looking at her going "oh my god she will hate me forever because i killed her mother and I can never explain to her what happened because eithershe will hate me or it will break her little heart and shell be a broken human"

So he shoves her out of his heart because he thinks thats the best thing to do because he is actually a broken person who needs help learning how to cope with dealing with emotions and also other people.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's looking at her like ERROR ERROR INTERPERSONAL CONTACT WARNING, SHUTTING DOWN

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Demiurge4 posted:

Reynard is going to tell Tony he's a Bad Dad and now he's gonna do better. Jumps into Tony, kills Donny.

The thing about it is that reynard could probably get away with it for a time because annie doesn't know her dad. Unless of course he gets the demon face to go with it.
Annie can see Rey's ether-self, where Tony is just a gray lump

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fried Chicken posted:

This is wrong and you should feel bad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

UndyingShadow posted:

It's complicated.

TMI ZONE

My grandmother died in childbirth with my father almost exactly nine months after my grandfather returned from WWII, which had separated him from his beloved wife not long after they were married. He was in the Army, endured heavy fighting in the jungle of Indonesia, spent years away at war, and the first thing that happened when he got home was his wife choked to death on her own vomit because she insisted on eating before going to the hospital and the hospital gave her anaesthesia despite being told not to.

So here was my grandfather, a newly-minted widower just back from the bloodiest conflict in human history, with a squalling baby on his hands. He was alone, heartbroken, and shattered by his experiences during the war. And just when he thought he would finally enjoy some peace and happiness, he finds himself alone in his grief and saddled with a small creature that does nothing but take and demand from a man who has nothing left to give. He's already lost almost everything, and now the baby whose birth cost the life of his wife needs love, but he's so tired and so sad that there is nothing left. And how do we feel about people who demand things from us when we don't have them to give? We resent them. We can't help it. It's just how we're wired. This is the same psychological mechanism that drives people to rise up in rebellion against oppression, twisted around and perverted by misfortune and circumstance to focus on an innocent and helpless child.

My grandfather was a hard man. "Emotionally unavailable" doesn't even begin to cover it. Worse, he physically abused my father frequently. He never spoke about my grandmother until his mind began to go as he died of Parkinsons in his 90s. My father had never even been to his mother's grave. He didn't even know where it was - my grandfather refused to tell him. My ex-wife, who is a superb researcher, tracked it down for him, and we finally brought him to that cold graveside just last year. My father's in his late 60s now, and that was the first time he'd ever been to his mother's grave.

I think that had he not just come back from the war, or perhaps if he had had a less direct role in combat, my grandfather might have had the strength to internalize the fact that the last person he should take his anger and grief out on is his child. Save it for the doctors at the hospital, or himself for buying his wife the loving burger that killed her. But he didn't have that strength. He'd endured and lost too much.

And neither does Tony, who was clearly an emotionally stunted person to begin with. I don't condone it; I'm not trying to say that Tony is right to be resentful. But I can understand it, having seen this very circumstance play out in my own family, and I can feel sympathy for the poor sad bastard.

All I can say is bravo to Tea-San for portraying the situation as sensitively and, in my opinion, realistically, as possible.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ElMaligno posted:

This is wrong and you should feel bad.

You are wrong and you should field bad. Diego may not have been alright, but he was more right than Tony.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Tony hasn't murdered someone in cold blood I'm pretty sure

that's worse than being out of your depth as a dad and husband

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

GlyphGryph posted:

You are wrong and you should field bad. Diego may not have been alright, but he was more right than Tony.

*feel

Diego actually conspired to killa forest dezien, by his actions created a murder ghost our of the person he "loved" and his actions erased this bit of history from the court.

Tony actions include being an asperger fucker who cannot deal with his emotions and almost killing his daughter in a misguided attempt to see his wife again.

Tony, truly terrible.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Guys, it's a loving Latin joke, chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, there's absolutely no contradiction between "Tony loves Annie" and "Tony resents Annie."

Both statements are true.