Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

So I get home at 930pm PST. Should this be unlocked by then? I forget Steams unlocking schedule.

According to Steam, it unlocks in nine hours. So with a little luck, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

So I get home at 930pm PST. Should this be unlocked by then? I forget Steams unlocking schedule.

Steam says it will unlock in approximately 4 hours, for what it's worth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

I really have a soft spot in my heart for Mad Max 1 and I don't know why. I think its because it really isn't that post apocalyptic.

It's because it's an amazing movie. :) It is definitely the most realistic post apocalyptic movie though in that you see society gradually break down throughout it. Something Miller does that's really cool is that every time Max enters the police station there's less people in it, and when he goes to get the interceptor at the end he's the only person there and instead of seeing him get into it and start it you just see him fade away as he walks into darkness and then the interceptor speeds out into the camera, it's a cool thing in a movie with many many many cool things.

Each movie in the series is different enough that they can be interestingly hard to compare to each other despite sharing the same main character and setting. Like Mad Max was always my favorite series (trilogy before Fury Road) but my favorite one is which ever one I've seen most recently.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

ovenboy posted:

Steam says it will unlock in approximately 4 hours, for what it's worth.

Whelp, time to set up the VPN. Where's it unlocking in four?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Tehan posted:

Whelp, time to set up the VPN. Where's it unlocking in four?

Sweden. Perhaps you'll have some luck with even more eastern zones as well.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Neo Rasa posted:

It's because it's an amazing movie. :) It is definitely the most realistic post apocalyptic movie though in that you see society gradually break down throughout it. Something Miller does that's really cool is that every time Max enters the police station there's less people in it, and when he goes to get the interceptor at the end he's the only person there and instead of seeing him get into it and start it you just see him fade away as he walks into darkness and then the interceptor speeds out into the camera, it's a cool thing in a movie with many many many cool things.

It's also funny that one of the few institutions left standing are defense lawyers getting bad guys out of jail.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

ovenboy posted:

Why is it unlocking earlier in Sweden than in Australia :psyduck:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

ovenboy posted:

Weird. My VPN that dumps out in Amsterdam still shows 9 hours.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

Each movie in the series is different enough that they can be interestingly hard to compare to each other despite sharing the same main character and setting. Like Mad Max was always my favorite series (trilogy before Fury Road) but my favorite one is which ever one I've seen most recently.

I am kind of wondering what happened with Beyond Thunderdome. Those are 2 very different movies crammed into the same one. I probably should rewatch it now that I know that it curves sharply and maybe I will find some different meaning to it.

Maybe it has the Prometheus effect where it gets better the more you watch it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I am kind of wondering what happened with Beyond Thunderdome. Those are 2 very different movies crammed into the same one. I probably should rewatch it now that I know that it curves sharply and maybe I will find some different meaning to it.

Didn't his co-creator die during or shortly before Beyond Thunderdrome so it just kinda made him eh to work on it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

George Miller lost interest in the project is what happened to Beyond Thunderdome. A long-time friend and Producer on the film died in a helicopter crash while location scouting, kind of broke his spirit from the sounds of things. Which was a shame since Bartertown was a really awesome location.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love Thunderdome. Sometimes I feel like the only one. I have this thing where I like it when creators do different poo poo with their properties. I think it's rather unfair to expect Miller to have just done Mad Max 3: The Road Warrior 2 at that point. It's a lovely movie that's really inventive and it brings Max's character full circle (at the time, anyway). The entire sequence in the Crack in the Earth isn't nearly as long as people remember and the Lost Kid's mythology and way of speaking and all that awesome jazz really added a lot of weight to the world. That final monologue from Savannah Nix always makes me a little teary eyed. :unsmith:

Also, in some alternate universe, this game is called "George Miller's Mad Max: The Official Game of the Movie"

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Weird. My VPN that dumps out in Amsterdam still shows 9 hours.

Same with Frankfurt, btw.

fake edit: actually, do I need to do some to Steam to refresh the location, aside from reconnecting entirely? It still shows USD instead of EUR, which might indicate something isn't refreshing.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"This game will unlock in approximately 4 hours". This better be true or I'll end staying up the whole night waiting for it to unlock. :argh:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I'm an unapologetic fan of Thunderdome, warts and all. Yes, it's a massive tonal outlier, and yeah, the kiddie stuff dilutes the traditional last-act murderthon. But I love all the weird characters, I love the cargo-cult aspect of the tribe, and that heroic musical sting when Max pulls out in front of the plane at the end gets me every time. And yeah, Aunty's closing monologue is great.

I don't know if I could really rank the movies, personally, because they're all so very different and there's specific reasons I love each one. Fury Road is definitely a masterpiece, though.

And yeah, Miller's partner Byron Kennedy was killed in a helicopter crash scouting locations for Thunderdome.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love Thunderdome. Sometimes I feel like the only one. I have this thing where I like it when creators do different poo poo with their properties. I think it's rather unfair to expect Miller to have just done Mad Max 3: The Road Warrior 2 at that point. It's a lovely movie that's really inventive and it brings Max's character full circle (at the time, anyway). The entire sequence in the Crack in the Earth isn't nearly as long as people remember and the Lost Kid's mythology and way of speaking and all that awesome jazz really added a lot of weight to the world. That final monologue from Savannah Nix always makes me a little teary eyed. :unsmith:

Also, in some alternate universe, this game is called "George Miller's Mad Max: The Official Game of the Movie"

I thought it was a solid ending, but then again, I am one of the people who thinks Waterworld was a good and fun film to watch.

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't his co-creator die during or shortly before Beyond Thunderdrome so it just kinda made him eh to work on it?

This explains a lot. I didn't really watch any of the Mad Max films until much much later.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Same with Frankfurt, btw.

fake edit: actually, do I need to do some to Steam to refresh the location, aside from reconnecting entirely? It still shows USD instead of EUR, which might indicate something isn't refreshing.

FYI, I had to change my store location to Germany in my account settings for it to show the price/unlock time change.

edit: and in case anyone is wondering, Japan shows 22 hours, so Europe is the best we're going to get, I think.

Barracuda Bang! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 31, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
my copy along with mgs5 arrives tommarrow, unfortunately i have classes all day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The cargo cult kid tribe in Thunderdome is amazing, and you can see a similar take on that in Immortan Joe's warboys. But it's just sooooo dull. Not because it's too long, but because it's like five different scenes of the kids believing he's Captain Walker followed by him saying he's not in increasingly absurd ways. The concept in general is great.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how the sequel game will work now that Fury Road was successful enough to make Mad Max: The Wasteland happen. Will it try to incorporate Furosa into the game's world or make the game's world more like the new films?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Crabtree posted:

I wonder how the sequel game will work now that Fury Road was successful enough to make Mad Max: The Wasteland happen. Will it try to incorporate Furosa into the game's world or make the game's world more like the new films?

If they're smart, they'll do none of this, considering how the Mad Max franchise is blatantly set outside of any sort of timeline. Personally I feel like they did the right thing by doing their own thing, but the fact that it's got a son of Immortan Joe and Gastown makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Crappy Jack posted:

If they're smart, they'll do none of this, considering how the Mad Max franchise is blatantly set outside of any sort of timeline. Personally I feel like they did the right thing by doing their own thing, but the fact that it's got a son of Immortan Joe and Gastown makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Just because there's no timeline doesn't mean Mad Max doesn't have recursive elements, particularly if they're popular enough. And just because that's how it works for the movies shouldn't mean that the games have to work exactly the same way. You yourself said you'd pay "a disgusting amount of money for Furosa".

I'm not asking for a retelling or specific canon between the two, I'm just wondering if they'll try to bring more of the popular elements in future games, and particularly just Furosa herself depending on how the next movie goes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, in case you don't poke through the Fury Road thread in CineD once in a while, here is some more behind the scenes stuff from the movie:

All about the cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs

General behind the scenes stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAHGwCyamc

It's a real shame the vehicle names don't show up the movie, because they are metal as hell. You can't even give them their own title intros because there's so many of them!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure Gastown's mentioned in at least one of the other movies.

What they should do is make sure any appearance of mentioned locations DIFFERS from the movie or previous game version.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crabtree posted:

Just because there's no timeline doesn't mean Mad Max doesn't have recursive elements, particularly if they're popular enough. And just because that's how it works for the movies shouldn't mean that the games have to work exactly the same way. You yourself said you'd pay "a disgusting amount of money for Furosa".

I'm not asking for a retelling or specific canon between the two, I'm just wondering if they'll try to bring more of the popular elements in future games, and particularly just Furosa herself depending on how the next movie goes.

The developers have stated, multiple times, that nothing like this will be in the game- with the exception of the main villain and where the game takes place. This comes up like seriously every 3 pages in this thread. In future games, who knows.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

The developers have stated, multiple times, that nothing like this will be in the game- with the exception of the main villain and where the game takes place. This comes up like seriously every 3 pages in this thread. In future games, who knows.

Yeah, all I'm asking is how this could play out in the future now that George Miller is ecstatic that people like Fury Road and that Avalanche aren't just working in conjunction with a very good film, but everyone has seen it several times. I know this MAD MAX game will only have familiar locations and some third son of Joe. But any sequel video game, which will likely occur even if Mad Max forever sits in the shadow of Phantom Pain, is gonna have people hungry for what was cool in Fury Road as well as new things. I'm afraid Fury Road will be a victim of its own success when people will probably want even more of possibly the only successful female character in apocalyptic fiction that isn't someone's arm candy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, other Max titles can always include a different "Warrior Woman". There was one in Road Warrior, afterall.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sure, but can any of us really remember her name or what she did? Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end because I saw the movie again and I'm 7 hours away from playing Mad Max on PC, but I think we have a Red Sonja situation here where even if the title still says Conan the Barbarian, you've created a character strong enough to have her own stories, film or video game.

Maybe I'm just overestimating how popular Furosa really is in by next year.

EDIT:

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure she was credited as "Warrior Woman".

So she wasn't really a character and just someone that stood around, growled at Max and then died on the convoy?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I'm pretty sure she was credited as "Warrior Woman".

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Like 2 people in the Road Warrior had names so that really doesn't say much

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

I want the next game to have playable baddies vying for territory. Also multiplayer so I can crush my frends' dreams.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The next game needs gyrocopters and flamethrower tankers(if those aren't already in this one)

Are there any multiplayer games that are set in a Mad Max-esque setting? Car combat and makeshift weapons are a must.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A few reviews from no name sites that broke embargo are out, decidedly :mediocre: at 6.5 and 7.5, tl;dr the driving is boring, missions repetitive, and the scenery gets old, but it has a good atmosphere and decent customization options for the car.

The reviews are poo poo and not really worth linking since the embargo will be up shortly, but I'd definitely expect similar results across the board from the bigger publications.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Hakkesshu posted:

A few reviews from noname sites that broke embargo are out, decidedly :mediocre: at 6.5 and 7.5, tl;dr the driving is boring, missions repetitive, and the scenery gets old, but it has a good atmosphere and decent customization options for the car.

I watched the 1-hour gameplay video earlier today and that's what it looked like from the footage.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hakkesshu posted:

A few reviews from no name sites that broke embargo are out, decidedly :mediocre: at 6.5 and 7.5, tl;dr the driving is boring, missions repetitive, and the scenery gets old, but it has a good atmosphere and decent customization options for the car.

The reviews are poo poo and not really worth linking since the embargo will be up shortly, but I'd definitely expect similar results across the board from the bigger publications.

Yep, that's about what I expected, glad my gut wasn't wrong for once.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

the driving is boring
lol. Not saying that this won't be the case eventually, but that's a weird statement to make.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's really going to be whatever you want it to be. There's fast travel if you don't like driving around, and if you don't like wrecking nerds, then clearly this isn't the game for you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

The next game needs gyrocopters and flamethrower tankers(if those aren't already in this one)

Are there any multiplayer games that are set in a Mad Max-esque setting? Car combat and makeshift weapons are a must.

There was a game a couple years ago called Ravaged that was basically Mad Max Battlefield 2. It was bad and died quicker than almost any indie MP title I've ever seen unfortunately.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Why can none of you on this page spell Furiosa right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mad Max: Furry Road

• Locked thread