Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Just started playing on Blue. Any good leveling guilds recommended, with or without a heavy goon presence? I have a char in Unknown Guild so far and I seem to usually be one of the only 2-3 people on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Dirt posted:

Sidenote: I am super bored with P1999. I hit 50 like a week ago, and haven't played much since then. I joined some "raid guild" but they seem like weirdos. I think I might take a break for awhile. I just camped my Mage outside Unrest, I might login once in awhile to see if I can grab that Priest of Najena for that stupid cloak quest, but other than that I think I need a break.

Oh hey I just got that item and I'm questing the cloak right now! I'd be easier with a porter but I love travelling and visiting places I've skipped on live, and it's a welcome change of pace to the Unrest group I had going last night.

Edit: hahaha, I found the cells in Najena, dealt with the Tentacle Terror and Moosh yet barely survived, and then was relieved to see the High Elf NPC I needed in the next cell... So I rushed up to her only to get punched in the face: forgot I had illusion Dark Elf up. EVERQUEST!

retpocileh posted:

Just started playing on Blue. Any good leveling guilds recommended, with or without a heavy goon presence? I have a char in Unknown Guild so far and I seem to usually be one of the only 2-3 people on.

I joined Homeland Security. There's always a bunch of them on and they're pretty helpful. I probably should look for a European guild though but at level 21, I'm not that bothered, I just like to have someone to chat with.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 29, 2015

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
My lower level char is in college of adventure. Always many sub fifties and groups going on. Pretty good for a levelling guild despite the name.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

i joined "anonymous".

I don't recommend them.

My 51 rogue is in Asgard. If you want a raiding guild that tracks dkp they are good. Certainly more geared towards 60 than low 50s though. Haven't been able to join them lately since I am camped in plane of hate for my epic waiting for a window when spawns are low.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

Bro are you playing blue again? And what's your toons name?
Afraid not, not really feeling it. Been busy the last couple of months with moving to a new house, so haven't really had the time. I'll probably start playing Live EQ again soon.

I reached level 50 with my lizard Monk Zliz on P1999, got him decked out with good buyable weapons and jboots + other clickies, and that's good enough for now. I guess I made it a bit boring for myself near the end by solo grinding Oggok guards from level 45-50 - drat that got boring near the end! But the plat was good and I couldn't find better solo XP spots.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Dirt posted:

i joined "anonymous".

I don't recommend them.

If the 60 monk is anything to go by who is clearing out Soldunga while we've got a group trying to find anything to xp there who asked us to "stop whining" when we asked if he could stop killing everything, yeah, they're goddamn dicks.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 29, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Guaranteed he's power leveling someone, but yes, still a dick.

Hoppy Goodness
Nov 26, 2007
Purchased two Wolf's Eye Golden Bracelets today, which at level 48 replaced my last two cloth armor pieces, haha.

If anyone's around on red and wants to party hit up Minamata.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

New rules updates!

quote:

RMT (Real Money Trade) Sales
The involvement of any currency, items, or services external to any Project 1999 Server (Including but not limited to: real money (USD, Euro, Etc), regulated or otherwise (Bitcoins), Food/Delivery, Virtual currency of any other game (Platinum on Live or other EQEmulator Servers, Beta Keys for the latest new game, etc)) for any of that Project 1999 server's virtual items or service (Including by not limited to: Items, Platinum, Powerlevelling, Accounts/Characters) is strictly forbidden.
This change was done specifically to disallow the transfer of items or currency between Project 1999 servers. For example (but not limited to), you may no longer transfer Blue Platinum for Red Platinum, and vice versa.

Sooo that's the end of that. Probably going to piss some people off.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
Yeah the end of cross xfer plat is gonna hit a lot of people hard. but it will cut down on the red people funneling to blue to RMT it off essemtially. Looking forward to these red players up and disappearing or ending up banned once they rmt one last time for their gear/accounts. I know some of the TMO and empire folks got caught with various amounts they didnt get to transfer back, anywhere from 50k to 500k+ and tons of items.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
ahahhaha gently caress those bitches. red to blue or blue to red was scammy as gently caress anyway.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Thanks for posting that Dirt. Good for staff for realizing it wasn't worth the headache.

Let red fester and rot. I financed a ton of gear for my blue characters doing red->blue plat transfers.

FYGM

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
I tried red and leveled a druid up to 30 but ended up rerolling my druid on blue. It just felt empty and a e-peen contest plus there was no PvP outside of deleveled twinks griefing players in Crushbone, Unrest and MM. Blegh. The XP bonus was nice but not entirely worth sticking around.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I managed to grind my way to 7 in Nek Forest but am now stuck with mobs that barely give any xp and mobs that are so strong they require HT to even have a shot of soloing. Back in 1999, I smuggled myself out to Crushbone for these levels with my SK not realising just how many damned warrior faction DEs there are scattered around Neriak. The pyramid and monoliths in nek forest spawn way too many mummies, and fighting the zombies is like 20% chance of victory with HT and even if I win disease increases downtime by around 5x or so it seems. Guess I have to look into those guilds you all been mentioning to level up

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kalaxus posted:

I managed to grind my way to 7 in Nek Forest but am now stuck with mobs that barely give any xp and mobs that are so strong they require HT to even have a shot of soloing. Back in 1999, I smuggled myself out to Crushbone for these levels with my SK not realising just how many damned warrior faction DEs there are scattered around Neriak. The pyramid and monoliths in nek forest spawn way too many mummies, and fighting the zombies is like 20% chance of victory with HT and even if I win disease increases downtime by around 5x or so it seems. Guess I have to look into those guilds you all been mentioning to level up

If you're in nektulos- in the northeast corner is a group of three higher level undead on 6 minute spawn timers that can carry you to 10.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
There's also Orc (different type that doesn't affect Neriak faction if I recall correctly) camps in East Commonlands that people group up at.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

How soon are they supposed to (in theory) remove the -40% exp penalty from Hybrids? One person told me a month, another said "a few months". That alone should make a colossal difference to someone levelling up a babby SK.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Lakedaimon posted:

How soon are they supposed to (in theory) remove the -40% exp penalty from Hybrids? One person told me a month, another said "a few months". That alone should make a colossal difference to someone levelling up a babby SK.

They are following "the official timeline" so its like 3 months into Velious that it gets removed.

I find it really dumb that they are so anal about timelines for poo poo like that, a basic quality of life change. I mean, a 4 year gap between expansions isn't classic, so whatever, just take it out already.

This server is run by weirdos.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dirt posted:

They are following "the official timeline" so its like 3 months into Velious that it gets removed.

I find it really dumb that they are so anal about timelines for poo poo like that, a basic quality of life change. I mean, a 4 year gap between expansions isn't classic, so whatever, just take it out already.

This server is run by weirdos.

Eh, they run it true to the spirit of Verant/SoE! If it's a QOL improvement, stick to the timeline to the last possible moment before implementing (or even later). If it's a QOL detriment, or an item nerf, do it ahead of schedule.

Them running the server in a way that shows how much they hate their playerbase is the most classic thing there is!

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Eh, they run it true to the spirit of Verant/SoE! If it's a QOL improvement, stick to the timeline to the last possible moment before implementing (or even later). If it's a QOL detriment, or an item nerf, do it ahead of schedule.

Them running the server in a way that shows how much they hate their playerbase is the most classic thing there is!

Only thing missing would be for a dev to post on the forms about how such and such does not align with "THE VISION".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ramulack posted:

Only thing missing would be for a dev to post on the forms about how such and such does not align with "THE VISION".

Am I crazy or did they deny for the longest loving time the very existence of hell levels?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Verant/SOE did yes. Hell levels weren't intentionally implemented so the devs just assumed for a long time that it was another case of players whining about something they didn't understand.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kalaxus posted:

Just go to EC. EC and WC can take you to level 20 easily, and you're in a handy area for getting newbie buffs from tunnel campers. Just beware of human guards of course.

As soon as you can (you'll need a magic weapon - try if you can mooch something cheap off a tunnel seller), start killing every will-o-wisp you see. Save all Lighstone and Greater Lightstone, bank them if needed, and go turn them into the dark elf in south ro (http://wiki.project1999.com/Evil_Research). Good XP in the teens.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Thunderdome on red.

It's not a bad guild. Believe me, I rather be on their side. But drat, I wish it was a strict goon guild like the good ol' days.

For peats sake, the same people we are recruiting and helping level, are the same assholes who wait for us to report where we are leveling so they can log on to an alt _not_ in the guild so they can pk us. It's a vicious cycle!! If we have a problem with spies in the guild -- stop recruiting spies?? Right??? When mysterious people are on at 2am in the morning, shouting in ooc, "HAY IS THERE ANY OFFICERS ON THUNDERDOME" and they get in, who is the idiot recruiting them????

fe: On a side note, I just got up to banded armor in blacksmith. If anyone wants a deal on banded, send 'Lahara' a tell and say "GOONY GOON" for a special goon discount! I love you assholes!

MageMage fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 31, 2015

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Got 3 pieces of Skyshrine poo poo. BP, Gloves, Bracer. The WS gloves are better because 10 MR, but fashion quest.

I want legs more than anything though. I'm closing in on my Circlet of the Falinken as well, need to finally snag my chipped fang.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hit 29 over the weekend and got my teleport spells, already made a few hundred plat easy just running around meeting up with people and teleporting them to different places.

Now I gotta grind to 34 so I get even more spells :downs:

Kalaxus posted:

If you see me online and need some help send me a tell and I'll come powerlevel you for a few levels. Especially at night if I'm drunk sometimes I'd rather just run around power leveling some newbie rather than get my rear end killed trying to level anyhow. But yeah I'd head to EC at that point rather than try to grind in Nektulos forever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Started a human SK — some very interesting faction problems with that combination. You start out with all factions of Qeynos on the cusp of hating you. Already walked into a few buildings and had some random NPC beat my face in. Pretty sure I can't do the Gnoll Fang quest until I'm ready to leave the area as I'm already dubious with every guard and I'll be threatening with corrupts after just a few turn ins.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Summit posted:

Started a human SK — some very interesting faction problems with that combination. You start out with all factions of Qeynos on the cusp of hating you. Already walked into a few buildings and had some random NPC beat my face in. Pretty sure I can't do the Gnoll Fang quest until I'm ready to leave the area as I'm already dubious with every guard and I'll be threatening with corrupts after just a few turn ins.

I know your pain. Feign death will be something to look forward to, and there are a million Circlets of Shadow on the server, so no worries about that item going anywhere anytime soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Summit posted:

Yeah, in some ways it'd be easier to be a dark elf or troll or ogre SK instead, at least then your faction would be more obvious. But human SK has its advantages too.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Summit posted:

Human SK isn't a bad combo but Ogre or Iksar are much better choices. Ogre gets you stun immunity and excellent base melee stats, Iksar gives you regen and a significant AC bonus. Troll is also a viable option but if you're gonna be huge, you may as well go Ogre. Also, Iksars have the best starting area in the game and basically no faction issues in their home town.

If you want to do Human, I'd recommend starting in Freeport. If you start in Freeport, you can pick up buffs from people sitting in the EC tunnel and it'll make the initial levels extremely easy.

All up to you, of course.. just offering some unsolicited advice =P

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Ogre or Iksar would be the best choice but I went with Human to see a different side of things. I was curious about the challenge of being a 'good' race but a bad class. I've also never seen much of the Qeynos side of the continent. Freeport would be more ideal leveling for sure and I'll probably head over there eventually, but it was not an option (probably because I went with Bertox as a religion). So far I'm not regretting the choice, even if it's slower. It's very immersive to be concerned about faction. I'm checking around corners constantly and of course I have to go into the sewers to train/sell for max value. Feels like being a real evil dude rather than just another Ogre in Ogretown. So far I've run into two NPCs that were KOS, one in a sewing shop who must have been upstairs from the entrance. The other was a Barbarian in the bar near the docks. Not sure what faction they are on since I am able to walk around freely past the guards and merchants otherwise.

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with? On live my main was a human ranger. Not many people were really aware that was an option so I would commonly get comments about thinking I was a Rogue until I cast a spell. Wasn't much different beyond that though. You start in Surefall Glade which is a neat little out of the way zone for human druids and rangers. It's opposite Qeynos. I made my way over to elf lands pretty quickly though, having always been more familiar with those zones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Summit posted:

Ogre or Iksar would be the best choice but I went with Human to see a different side of things. I was curious about the challenge of being a 'good' race but a bad class. I've also never seen much of the Qeynos side of the continent. Freeport would be more ideal leveling for sure and I'll probably head over there eventually, but it was not an option (probably because I went with Bertox as a religion). So far I'm not regretting the choice, even if it's slower. It's very immersive to be concerned about faction. I'm checking around corners constantly and of course I have to go into the sewers to train/sell for max value. Feels like being a real evil dude rather than just another Ogre in Ogretown. So far I've run into two NPCs that were KOS, one in a sewing shop who must have been upstairs from the entrance. The other was a Barbarian in the bar near the docks. Not sure what faction they are on since I am able to walk around freely past the guards and merchants otherwise.

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with? On live my main was a human ranger. Not many people were really aware that was an option so I would commonly get comments about thinking I was a Rogue until I cast a spell. Wasn't much different beyond that though. You start in Surefall Glade which is a neat little out of the way zone for human druids and rangers. It's opposite Qeynos. I made my way over to elf lands pretty quickly though, having always been more familiar with those zones.

Yeah as long as you know what you're getting into that could be a fun twist. I've been thinking about making an erudite necro or something like that myself, since I've seen so little of that side of things. Paineel has to be the least traveled city in the game.

Back in live I played a dark elf enchanter, it was fun because as long as you're agnostic you can illusion yourself and cast alliance and get past most of the downside of being an evil race, but then you could go home to Neriak and chill with the other evil elves. Course if you're a good enchanter you can just cast illusion dark elf :shrug:

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Anyone got experience leveling a wizard? Just hit 27 and feeling the exp wall start to creep in. Is it worth the effort?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone got experience leveling a wizard? Just hit 27 and feeling the exp wall start to creep in. Is it worth the effort?

I'd say no, wizard isn't the most fun. You're real close to group teleport spells though, might wanna grind those out and join Dial for awhile, make some easy plat, and then twink another char.

Or stick with the wizard, I don't know. Ymmv.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Erudite necromancer is the best necromancer.

Paineel is awesome too because you can level from about 20 to the mid 40s just on the undead guards. And they drop about 12pp worth of stuff per kill, with no faction hits. When I played my necro I made like 5k going from 20 to 24 there. It's pretty boring though.

Whenever I get around to playing again I think I'm gonna roll an Erudite SK.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Wizards will always have a tough time grouping for experience. If you don't have regular buddies you group with and prefer to not solo all time then it is probably not for you. That being said, there is always demand for wizards in raiding - just not group exp grinding.

But getting those few levels to port for 'donations' may be worth trying out just the same as mentioned above.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Dirt posted:

Erudite necromancer is the best necromancer.

Paineel is awesome too because you can level from about 20 to the mid 40s just on the undead guards. And they drop about 12pp worth of stuff per kill, with no faction hits. When I played my necro I made like 5k going from 20 to 24 there. It's pretty boring though.

Whenever I get around to playing again I think I'm gonna roll an Erudite SK.

I wouldn't. My erudite SK just dinged 51, and it's been a struggle due to low STR and STA. The added mana is nice when you solo and fear kite stuff, but you'll really start to notice the hp difference between an Erudite and a troll or ogre. You will automatically win fashionquest though.

Any good places to ghetto fear kite my way up to 55ish? I was thinking high elf guards like a necro, but I don't have the cc that necros get. Looking for steady pulls similar to OT/DL.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You can probably fear kite in city of mist. I duoed with a SK there a bit (I'm a mage) and we would just fear kite stuff. Temple and arena (need to fd split there) were decent. Stuff should still be blue at 51.
Easy to hop into a group there too.

Could also do Seafurys . Would be slow (tons of hp) but you would make some decent money.

I figured I'd just get a crustacean shell armor set for an Erudite SK. Full set is like +89 stamina and +45 str or somewhere around there. Plus it looks super cool.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Summit posted:

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with?

Erudite Cleric following Cazic Thule is pretty awesome. You get a slew of clickies to use, and a really decent shield:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Disciple_Symbol_of_Cazic_Thule (Panic Animal, 2 second cast)
http://wiki.project1999.com/Initiate_Symbol_of_Cazic_Thule (Spook the Dead, 2 second cast)
http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask (Fear, 6 second cast)
http://wiki.project1999.com/Dread_Forged_Shield

The awesome part about the necklaces is the short cast time, which is identical to the actual spell in both cases. Iksar and Troll Shamans can also use the necklaces.
The mask and shield aren't deity restricted and can also be used by Human clerics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

More new rules! :

quote:

With the next patch, all epics will have a level 46 requirement.

There is inconsistent research regarding which epics required level requirements to obtain. Several couldn't be completed until 46 or higher due to level checks on quests or certain steps involving planar zones. It has been noted by the original developers that epic items were intended only for those of higher levels. Additionally, we feel that acquiring an epic weapon should only be possible when a player has become powerful enough to cross interplanar portals. Therefore, we are adding a level requirement of 46 to equip all epic items.

No more Rogue/Shaman twinks with epic I guess.

MQ's will probably still sell for a decent amount though.