Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bolt Action is totally balanced for speculative scenarios like that. You could play a German civil war, US Army vs UK in a second Revolutionary War, or the French invasion of Australia.

e: I'd say that most historical miniatures games are this way, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

moths posted:

Bolt Action is totally balanced for speculative scenarios like that. You could play a German civil war, US Army vs UK in a second Revolutionary War, or the French invasion of Australia.

Time to get out my wallet then. Thanks!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, Flames of War have divided the war into three periods (early, mid, late), because tanks and big guns evolved so immensely that an decent 1940 tank would not have a chance against the stuff used in 44-45. But games that are more geared towards infantry platoon skirmishes (Bolt Action, Chain of Command) are usually less restricted by this, and the point systems should even things out unless you are a dick and want to field a Tiger II tank against someone's early war Polish or whatever.

So in general, the time period is a bigger deciding factor than which theater of war you pick your army from. But even then, you'll get by as long as you are reasonable in your support options.

And yes, you could easily end up playing the same nation against itself, depending on how you game (at a club, pick-up games at a shop, at home with friends etc.). If you want to explain it in a realistic way, just call it combat training!

There are several tournaments for Bolt Action. Some of them are posted on the BA forums:

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Commissar Kip posted:

Ok, this might be a terribly dumb question. But if I get a Bolt Action USMC army will it be possible to fight against the other nations? Not just the Japanese?

I want to play an alternate history USMC army landing in Normandy or something.

Are there any people playing similar nations against each other? Is there tournament level play? I am sorry for so many questions.

The way my group plays the game is basically a historical free for all, and i hear that other groups do play it that way as well. And you shouldn't play with people who are so anal retentive that they can't set aside history for a bit.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I am a volunteer for Warlord and I love the game so I am basically collecting and painting enough forces for axis and allies in every theater. Pretty insane but I don't buy GW poo poo anymore so I have a lot of cash

Edit: plus I can use them for other stuff

muggins fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 26, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
So uh historical image pron

I picked up an Empress MATV for Skirmish Sangin, it is goddamn beautiful. It is a Lil large at 1/50 but it is such a nice sculpt that I can deal

The paint is not mine, just inspiration

muggins fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 27, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is super pretty. I want it.

Except in 1/72.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I assembled a viking ship model, got it painted up and finished, but I'm at a loss as to what to do about the sail. The sail it came with is a lovely piece of plastic and I'd like to rig up something nice looking but nothing that will take hours and hours. Any ideas?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd use a thin but rigid plastic like they use in blister packs. Cut it appropriately, then gently heat it over a candle or with a very hot blow drier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Two appropriate looking cloths with thin wires or maybe foil sandwiched between for shaping?

I've heard of people using aluminium foil sandwiched under printed material for flags.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I got decent results with thin, white pillowcase or handkerchief cloth cut to size then stiffened with PVA glue

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'd skip the sail, ship oars, and make it look beached, then just play Saga. ;)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'd skip the sail, ship oars, and make it look beached, then just play Saga. ;)

Make a second ship, fill the sail with arrows, recreate Viking naval battles with Saga. :black101:

(actually in this picture they don't use sails, so that's an alternative as well)

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

muggins posted:

So uh historical image pron

I picked up an Empress MATV for Skirmish Sangin, it is goddamn beautiful. It is a Lil large at 1/50 but it is such a nice sculpt that I can deal

The paint is not mine, just inspiration

This is almost sexual.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I picked up some books on Italy in ww2. Loved the idea of this map

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I need to buy that book. Italians are my preferred army in WWII. Also, loving that map, especially the stars.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm pretty sure it's self published, lol. It says it was printed Aug 23 2015.

muggins fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 28, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"No really, we were totally relevant too guys!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Cross posting from the oath thread!

Grey Hunter posted:

[b]OATH COMPLETE![b]

A whole 15mm company of German Grenadiers!

1st Platoon!

2nd Platoon!

3rd Platoon!

The Evil Overlords - I mean company HQ unit.

Next month is their enemies, the British Paras! (again, a whole company, as I'm a masochist!)

After that, I can try some Bolt Action or Chain of Command - I've also got some 15mm MKIV's that I can use as tank support, I just need to pick up some Churchill's to balance things up on the British side.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm going to pick up a box of Perry Desert Rats in a few days. Once I'm back in my home country I'll have to give the Oath thread a go, I think.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I'm going to pick up a box of Perry Desert Rats in a few days. Once I'm back in my home country I'll have to give the Oath thread a go, I think.

I'm currently paining up the Perry DAK box. So far I like it a lot, and strangely enough the body proportions and poses are better than Warlord Game IMHO, but I find their rifles to be too bulky and not as good as the WG rifles. Also I prefer Warlord's webbing, as they have a ton of different versions on the sprue, while PM just has identical copies. But overall I'm very happy about them, though they work even better if you have some other sprues of equipment to mix and match with.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
If, hypothetically, I had agreed to start a Cold War project some time in the near future, which rulesets are the best? I'm looking for something that plays well, but still approximates Cold War era tactics. Is Cold War Commander the preferred game ITT? Also, which micro scale miniature makers are the best? We're in Europe so we'd need a UK or EU based supplier because customs prohibit importing from the US.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
http://www.wargamesemporium.com/new/oscommerce-2.2rc2a/catalog/index.php?osCsid=e49466da046e04f7f0f8af60cb255142

They do GHQ and CinC. Good service and lovely models

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cold War Commander and GHQ is what I think our club did for their huge cold war tank battles. It was before I joined, but they still have the minis in a cupboard (and a 8 meter wide battlefield cloth somewhere).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Good stuff. The GHQ models in particular look great! Are they 6mm? I read Serotonin's writeup about CWC rules, and they seem to be what I'm looking for, but how are GHQ's rules for micro armour compared to CWC?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

Good stuff. The GHQ models in particular look great! Are they 6mm? I read Serotonin's writeup about CWC rules, and they seem to be what I'm looking for, but how are GHQ's rules for micro armour compared to CWC?

GHQ is 1/285, so more or less 6mm. We're going to use our old CWC terrain when we get started with 6mm Nappys.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Throbbing blob posted:

Go with Cold War Commander. You will not regret it.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
Oh wow those models are tiny as hell.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Oh wow those models are tiny as hell.

6mm is God's own scale. Bonus points if your period requires heraldry.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

lilljonas posted:

6mm is God's own scale. Bonus points if your period requires heraldry.

Why are you tempting me!? I now want all these miniature guys!

What systems use 6mm? And what eras would be best for 6mm?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
6mm is awesome for spectacle. I've wanted to do 6mm armoured warfare for a long old time but I'd be in the state of buying both armies, as usual.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Why are you tempting me!? I now want all these miniature guys!

What systems use 6mm? And what eras would be best for 6mm?

Almost any system can be used for 6mm. You're better of with systems that don't have individual model removals, though. So anything from Kings of War to Black Powder and Impetus, for "unit" games, to Field of Glory, Lasalle and DBA, for "base" games. Just that instead of putting 3-4 minis on each base, you can have 14. Often you can simply take a game and change distances from "inches" to "cm", and it'll feel good.

It's also the best option for games with many tanks. Smaller tank battles gets way too crowded in 15mm, even on large tables. So it's very popular for WW2 tank-centered games, cold war and modern games where you're not recreating irregular warfare.

6mm works best when you want a spectacle, large armies that actually look like armies. I have a fondness for Ancient and Napoleonic Wars in 6mm, it looks great. I've also seen some really cool stuff done in 6mm, like a Towton with 18 000 miniatures. Generally stuff where you can paint a lot of minis in cool uniforms, and if you want huge armies that you can still paint in a reasonable time span and won't take up a huge amount of storage space.

Towton at close to 2/3 of the way to have 1 mini for each actual soldier. They finally ended up with 18 000 minis.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 31, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

You guys Empress makes such sexy models

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The other cold-war era game I hear about is Fistful of TOWs; not sure how good it is, but I've seen it does list company arrangements in exhaustive detail.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

The other cold-war era game I hear about is Fistful of TOWs; not sure how good it is, but I've seen it does list company arrangements in exhaustive detail.

That can both be a good thing and a bad thing

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Throbbing blob posted:

That can both be a good thing and a bad thing

Yeah, not sure how playable it is but I know some people swear by it. I liked the armour mechanic I read though (subtract armour from firepower, roll that many d6, 4s and 5s are damages and 6 is destroyed).

If you try it I'd be interested in hearing about it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
FFT is surprisingly light and fast? It's a giant book because it has stats for a whole bunch of tanks from WW2 to modern, including variants, and force organisation notes for a lot of stuff. It also has quite a lot of optional rules that you really don't need, like tactical nuclear weapons and gas, but even those are designed to be pretty quick. The force organisations are a handy reference if you want to know what's in, for example, an 80s Danish tank battalion, and what sort of attached extra companies you might want.

This guy has a bunch of battle reports with great (3mm) eye-candy - the default scaling in 6mm would have a single vehicle on those bases representing the platoon, but there are optional rules in the book for one base representing one vehicle rather than 3-5.

I haven't played it in a year or so, though, and don't remember much.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2015

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

Throbbing blob posted:

Word of warning: GHQ models come from the US. I'm EU based and got hit by some pretty hefty customs charges for WW2 ships from GHQ.

I don't know if it's been linked here yet, but breathrough assault released some previews of the upcoming Team Yankee ruleset from BG. Yesterday it was tanks and AA:
http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Neferreth posted:

Word of warning: GHQ models come from the US. I'm EU based and got hit by some pretty hefty customs charges for WW2 ships from GHQ.

I don't know if it's been linked here yet, but breathrough assault released some previews of the upcoming Team Yankee ruleset from BG. Yesterday it was tanks and AA:
http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/

The vendor Serotonin linked earlier was based in the UK, so customs shouldn't be an issue from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Note to self: never take pictures up close:

This is the first Gebirgsjäger squad that I converted from Perry DAK minis. I'm having a hard time to get the shallower (compared to Warlord) details of Perrys plastic work in this case, especially the faces.

The main conversion was to cut around the ankles to make puttees out of green stuff, and then to add the arm and cap edelweiss patches. The caps where simply the M43 caps that comes with the DAK minis, but with a tiny sliver of the brim shaved off.