Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Roy still think it's Durkon, but an eviler version. He doesn't realize there's been a switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm betting that soon we'll see Durkon's spirit talking to the HPoL inside his head, because this seems like something Durkon should be reacting to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Roy still think it's Durkon, but an eviler version. He doesn't realize there's been a switch.

Roy's probably noticed Durkon's dropped all semblances of an accent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Roy's probably noticed Durkon's dropped all semblances of an accent.

He commented on it in the previous strip.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Roy said Belkar was right all along, and what Belkar's been saying all along is that that vampire is not Durkon. The previous strip was just Roy adding up the evidence.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Interesting that they have a rule against changing votes when a vote can be nullified just by having the representing cleric leave the room.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Sefer posted:

Interesting that they have a rule against changing votes when a vote can be nullified just by having the representing cleric leave the room.

Usually the 'no-kill' clause prevents this, but it seems a proxy's presence is required for a vote to count. As the other dude said though, the rules don't take into account Roy doing a really, really bad job at being a bodyguard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Heimdall's cleric could nullify his yes vote by just leaving the room, making it a tie no longer. Rich might not have thought that plothole through.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Was the "cleric cannot leave the room" rule stated at any point? Because Balder's priest was totally about to leave the room.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

Was the "cleric cannot leave the room" rule stated at any point? Because Balder's priest was totally about to leave the room.

Yeah, I have a feeling that "leaving the room" and "your proxy being dead" is an important distinction. As for why the rules are so convoluted and byzantine? Their gods, that's their whole schtick.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Also if whoever is dming the game is halfway decent he's probably feeding Roy mondo circumstantial bonuses for will saves

Yeah, I would expect "fighting for literally the lives of everyone on the planet plus the souls of millions of dwarves plus the freedom of everyone on the next planet that may exist" to give a few bonuses.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I would expect "fighting for literally the lives of everyone on the planet plus the souls of millions of dwarves plus the freedom of everyone on the next planet that may exist" to give a few bonuses.

So should fighting to dominate millions, if that's your alignment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I meant more that Roy, a character that has shown to have tremendous resolve and will power (in the traditional sense), who has taken on huge responsibility over the wellbeing of the world, has willingly and consciously decided to fight his best friend, who is quickly showing himself to not be so, and is actually a creature of evil masquerading as a kind, loyal man.
Those are bonuses out the rear end I think.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sir Kodiak posted:

So should fighting to dominate millions, if that's your alignment.

Yes, but that's only if that's a real prospect.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The easy Durkon tempted Roy might have been one of the best character centered jokes of the entire comic.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that "leaving the room" and "your proxy being dead" is an important distinction.

So yeah, the cleric of Heimdall could be ordered to "Leave the room" by Heimdall. Via a dagger to their own throat. There are so many high level clerics around ready for a res that that wouldn't even be an unreasonable ask.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
It's pretty clear that Hel has thought the political details of this plan through. Every gambit to foil Hel's plan that depends on details that Hel would have known in advance is not going to work, because of reasons. We're not being told these reasons, and that's fine with me - I'm not so sure I want this to be resolved via us finding out that gee, Hel forgot to take into account subsection 3.0.0.0.C of the Godsmoot rules, which we just now found out about and resolve everything neatly. Nor do I care for prolonged speeches explaining how she did take subsection 3.0.0.0.C into account after all.

The setup here is that if it weren't for Roy and Belkar, Hel's plan would have worked perfectly - and it's up to Roy and Belkar to change that outcome somehow. I don't know how that's going to happen, but it's certainly not going to happen in a way that would have been possible if they weren't there in the first place.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure it's going to be Elan, official proxy of Banjo, who saves the day, and the only difference this little fight will make by itself is that Durkula needs to die at some point, and right after Roy realizes the truth is as good a time as ever. Roy thinking Durkola's destruction would alter the vote's outcome is just a flawed assumption based on a vague understanding of the rules.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 1, 2015

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Well, fair enough, I would file Elan and Banjo under "details that Hel would not have known in advance".

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Honestly it'd be funnier if Elan showed up being all "I've got this, Roy!" and then Banjo voted yes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suaimhneas posted:

Honestly it'd be funnier if Elan showed up being all "I've got this, Roy!" and then Banjo voted yes

Banjo is a capricious god.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I like the theory someone here stated, that the gods actually are going to be unable to destroy the world regardless.

And also: the world was created partly as a prison for the Snarl, and if we go by the interpretation of events given by Hinjo (which might or might not be inaccurate) then the prison only worked because the gods sprung it as a trap on the Snarl. Is that same trick gonna work twice?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that "leaving the room" and "your proxy being dead" is an important distinction. As for why the rules are so convoluted and byzantine? Their gods, that's their whole schtick.

Even if they wanted to, they may not be able to bring themselves to change their vote.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

wall monitor posted:

I like the theory someone here stated, that the gods actually are going to be unable to destroy the world regardless.

And also: the world was created partly as a prison for the Snarl, and if we go by the interpretation of events given by Hinjo (which might or might not be inaccurate) then the prison only worked because the gods sprung it as a trap on the Snarl. Is that same trick gonna work twice?

Assuming Hinjo was correct, the Snarl isn't capable of seeing the prison being built. Or at least wasn't the first time, so it might not be able to the second time either.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not sure my heart can handle such blazing comic update speed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, why didn't she just send one of her regular priests to vote?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

trucutru posted:

Due to an agreement (a lost bet?) with Thor, Hel doesn't get priests.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

trucutru posted:

She doesn't have priests. There's a strip where she or Yurkon agonizes that every time she grants clerichood to a promising wight or whatever, it ends up slain by adventurers. Durkula is not only her high priest, he's her only priest.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I get Durkula, I get Nokrud, but where does "Yurkon" come from?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Like Durkon mashed up with a Yeerk.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Misandu posted:

Yeerkon?

I read animorphs. I'm that guy. Hork-Bajir. Andaalite. What.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Misandu posted:

This is more apt than it should be.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The first time we see the evil spirit who interacts with Durkon, he says says "yarf" instead of 'barf," so he's always been a Yurkon to me. The yeerk thing was only pointed out to me later, but it's a more reasonable explanation.

Durkula is the vampire body that interacts with Roy and co., while Yurkon is the spirit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

She doesn't have priests. There's a strip where she or Yurkon agonizes that every time she grants clerichood to a promising wight or whatever, it ends up slain by adventurers. Durkula is not only her high priest, he's her only priest.
Seems like the other gods are keeping her down the same way they do Redcloak. Speaking of him, doesn't look like he will show up, but boy if he ever finds out he could have, and by rights should have, been the tiebreaker and wouldn't have needed to bother with Xykon, he will be so angry.

I still have a vague feeling like this might end up with the tie unable to be resolved and someone needing to find Redcloak because the Dark One is the only god left, but it doesn't quite seem to fit.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Seems like the other gods are keeping her down the same way they do Redcloak. Speaking of him, doesn't look like he will show up, but boy if he ever finds out he could have, and by rights should have, been the tiebreaker and wouldn't have needed to bother with Xykon, he will be so angry.

I still have a vague feeling like this might end up with the tie unable to be resolved and someone needing to find Redcloak because the Dark One is the only god left, but it doesn't quite seem to fit.

I'm pretty sure the Dark One isn't allowed to vote seeing as he was never allowed in the gods' secret club.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My bullshit theory: Belkar comes in, realizes the situation, and murder-shanks one of the yea proxies, rendering it no longer a tie, knowing full well that he'll be killed for violating the rules. He goes out on a heroic (yet still kind of evil) note!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure the Dark One isn't allowed to vote seeing as he was never allowed in the gods' secret club.

Wouldn't he be considered a demigod at bare minimum? Which means that he's entitled to join the tiebreaker vote with the rest of the demigods.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zonekeeper posted:

Wouldn't he be considered a demigod at bare minimum? Which means that he's entitled to join the tiebreaker vote with the rest of the demigods.

Ehhhh. for one thing, the whole thing is the direct result of his plan. For another, he's a second-class citizen at best among the gods.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

seaborgium posted:

Assuming Hinjo was correct, the Snarl isn't capable of seeing the prison being built. Or at least wasn't the first time, so it might not be able to the second time either.

Not quite; according to Hinjo's version of events, the Snarl could see the gods weaving the strings together again, but since it was a creature of pure chaos, it couldn't understand the pattern to what they were weaving until it was too late. He also said that it just lashed out at the gods randomly, for no reason other than being a manifestation of godly rage and irritation given form.

Personally, I've really started to doubt that. I'm guessing that the reason it originally attacked the gods was because they kept yanking and pulling at the stuff making up its form, which was causing it pain. It lashed out in self-defense. When they wove its prison around it, it didn't react because it wasn't in pain and it didn't think they were attacking it. As others have pointed out, in the comic, it only seems to lash out at people who are tampering with the rifts or what's on the other side of them. When the Order was staring at the ocean, nothing happened; but when the Empire of Sweat started trying to drain it, it provoked the biggest reaction we've seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

but when the Empire of Sweat started trying to drain it, it provoked the biggest reaction we've seen yet.

The Empire wasn't up to the draining yet; it was just reacting to Laurin scrying through the rift.