Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The IGN review claims almost the exact opposite of everything Polygon says. Either way I'm going to buy it because I WANT TO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's definitely a very "love it or hate it" game going by those two reviews (and the polygon streamers.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mokinokaro posted:

Polygon's review is mostly whining about archetypical and sexist characters. It's like they don't get Mad Max at all.

Yeah, had to check, they say the chick in the game is there to make the bad guy seem more evil and to be a love interest. Oh no, stop the presses, a trope someone doesn't like is being used.

gently caress em, the games about beating up thugs and rad as gently caress car chases.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn it Steam, why do you always do this to me. It's getting late and I want to try it out before going to sleep.
:negative:

I can totally understand that the game is probably nothing special if you're not a huge Mad Max fan. Luckily I happen to be one, so I'll probably get way more mileage out of this than someone who isn't.

EDIT: OK it just unlocked for me. :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dogstile posted:

Yeah, had to check, they say the chick in the game is there to make the bad guy seem more evil and to be a love interest. Oh no, stop the presses, a trope someone doesn't like is being used.

I'm still picking up the game first thing tomorrow morning but that IS dumb as dogshit considering the movie it's being released in the same summer as.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Unpacking now, didn't need to have the Store location set as UK.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still picking up the game first thing tomorrow morning but that IS dumb as dogshit considering the movie it's being released in the same summer as.

It was spoiled a bit by one of the official streamers She's not really much more of a love interest than Furiosa. She gets captured and enslaved, but it's actually HER who comes to Max's help later on instead of him doing the rescue, apparently.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
A lot of open world games get really mixed reviews because some reviewers just want to finish the game so they can write their review, and at that point dozens of hours of gameplay becomes a chore instead of a selling point.

Edit: I shut down Steam, VPN'd to the UK, booted up Steam, and the game started unpacking straight away :toot:

Tehan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 1, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

Unpacking now, didn't need to have the Store location set as UK.

You using a VPN or are you in the proper time zone? I'm EST and dang I just wanna rip around the desert :f5:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mokinokaro posted:

Polygon's review is mostly whining about archetypical and sexist characters. It's like they don't get Mad Max at all.

Wait, I can't believe I'm potentially taking Polygon's side on this, but when was Mad Max about sexist characters?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

VPN.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How will you know if its unpacking or not?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Love it or hate it is totally fine with me. Most of the time it's just fun-haters that end up populating the latter anyway.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
It's not out until September 7th here. God damnit Japanese steam store.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, I can play MGSV now no worries.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Crabtree posted:

How will you know if its unpacking or not?

It says so in the downloads screen.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Frozenfries posted:

It's not out until September 7th here. God damnit Japanese steam store.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, I can play MGSV now no worries.

You might want to check the Steam countdown. When I was testing VPNs like six hours ago, Tokyo said 22 hours left.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Neo Rasa posted:

Nah, I didn't expect the game to be the same as the film.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I read the Polygon review, and the thing about the sexist trope is literally one paragraph in a sidebar. My guess is he would have mentioned it even if the game was good. Looks like he actually reviewed the game based on how he enjoyed it and what he felt it did wrong when it came to being a game. Crazy, I know.

Still getting it though because personally, I think it looks fun.

Okay that's my hot take, bye.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Goddammit, I just know I'm gonna wake up at like, 5 am tommorrow and go completely insane waiting for 10 to come around.

fake edit: oh joy now the tv is gonna rub it in by playing the commercials over and over :smithicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Logged into a Germany VPN, started Steam, started download, unplugged the VPN, downloading at my own speed. :frogc00l:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is it kosher to ask someone to walk me through using a VPN? Never done it before and I'm an impatient dork.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Is it kosher to ask someone to walk me through using a VPN? Never done it before and I'm an impatient dork.

Turn off Steam. Then go here, download the topmost zip. Unpack that, install the client, start the program. If it asks you to create a network adapter let it do so, if not there'll be an option to do so. Once it's created, open the VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers option, accept the two windows and select one of the Germany servers. If one won't connect use the other. Once connected, restart Steam, go to Mad Max and decrypt it. From there until the game launches wherever you are you'll need to be connected to the VPN in order to see Play instead of Preload, but you can play to your hearts content.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial

Download the client use the password and account name on that page connect to the UK. Disconnect with Steam before using the VPN.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Sounds like this is Shadow Of Mordor without the Nemesis system.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gamesradar was super positive about the game.
http://www.gamesradar.com/mad-max-r...6066a1b5f249e2d

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Orv posted:

Turn off Steam. Then go here, download the topmost zip. Unpack that, install the client, start the program. If it asks you to create a network adapter let it do so, if not there'll be an option to do so. Once it's created, open the VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers option, accept the two windows and select one of the Germany servers. If one won't connect use the other. Once connected, restart Steam, go to Mad Max and decrypt it. From there until the game launches wherever you are you'll need to be connected to the VPN in order to see Play instead of Preload, but you can play to your hearts content.

Unlocking now, enjoy your free ticket to Valhalla :toot:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Won't let you launch the game even after it's unlocked if you're not in the right region though.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am honestly surprised they gave MGS5 a good review. I assume its too big of a game to poo poo on and get away with.

It's like how the crybaby Chris Plante spent half the GTA V review complaining about sexism and violence but still gave it a 9 because god knows if Polygon is still around when GTA VI drops, they can't rock that boat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whenever I launch the game the colors on my pc get like ten kinds of hosed up until I restart. This is not off to a good start for me.

edit: Switching to borderless windowed and restarting the game fixed it. Yeah sure why not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bloodysabbath posted:

It's like how the crybaby Chris Plante spent half the GTA V review complaining about sexism and violence but still gave it a 9 because god knows if Polygon is still around when GTA VI drops, they can't rock that boat.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6881161/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-torture-terrorism
he wrote this and other stupid poo poo. i am honestly not surprised.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Orv posted:

Is there a step missing? I did all that and Steam still won't decrypt.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Of course my motherboard decides to forget my SSD exists halfway through the decryption and chew up four gig worth of files. What other possible time could it decide to do that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quick quality update: Past that weird color error that I had, it's fantastic. Loads of graphics options, runs very smoothly, looks beautiful. Also it has native xbone/ps4 controller support which is surprising given that PC games usually don't.

edit: Also, the screenshot mode is UNBELIEVABLY extensive and it has a complete free-cam mode which is pretty mind boggling to me for some reason. I don't know if it was covered in the pre-release stuff or not but drat, you can zoom pretty far out with it. Lots of fun instagram filters too :v:

This is gonna be a lot of fun to mess around with in fights and on pretty vistas and such.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 1, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Nope, seems like some people are having problems with it this time around, no discernible reason.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Check that your IP is actually hitting that location?
http://www.ipchicken.com/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a color option to make it as vibrant as Fury Road?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Orv posted:

Nope, seems like some people are having problems with it this time around, no discernible reason.

Croccers posted:

Check that your IP is actually hitting that location?
http://www.ipchicken.com/

Yup, IPchicken reports the same as VPN gate. Hell, Google is reporting results in German, too. Maybe a PC reboot will help.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Yup, IPchicken reports the same as VPN gate. Hell, Google is reporting results in German, too. Maybe a PC reboot will help.

Friend fixed it by changing his password so that Steam on his phone couldn't log in, because the mobile app keeps reporting even with the phone off.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Lots of excuses and review bashing from people who haven't even played the game in this thread. The game has a 71 on Metacritic, which means "average-good, but no great". Did you really expect anything else? Every video shown so far made it look like a typical open world game with fun but shallow gameplay, and copy and pasted content out the wazoo. Given that those types of games are a dime a dozen do you really think this game deserves an 80-90 just because it's Mad Max themed?

It's probably a perfectly average open world game with a neat theme and gimmick (focus on cars) that is getting the scores it deserves. And for 20 dollars new that's a steal considering things like Assassins' Creed & Shadow of Moror were $60 at launch for essentially the same product with different gimmicks and theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Megasabin posted:

Lots of excuses and review bashing from people who haven't even played the game in this thread.

More because of the sites doing the reviewing than anything though.

• Locked thread