Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Gaj posted:

Would it be immoral or unethical to suggest to train or semi-domesticate Erasmus? Im not suggesting making him a full in house bird, but would it be neat to teach him the basics of stepping up and some simple behaviors? We dont have wild cows, and no one cries about that.

i'm trying but i don't know how, they hate being touched and they won't land on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I imagine it will just take time, given that here in Perth there are a few parks where wild corellas and galahs will hop up and sit on your arms to eat seed out of your hands.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dreggon posted:

i'm trying but i don't know how, they hate being touched and they won't land on me

Have you tried holding a branch in front of them when they are on your railing, with some food, so that they have to stand on the branch to eat?

Aug 24, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Have you tried holding a branch in front of them when they are on your railing, with some food, so that they have to stand on the branch to eat?

no i use my arm as the branch and they support themselves with on one foot on the railing and one on my arm to reach over and eat

or they just bite me

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Has anyone here had experience with a bird winding up to laying an egg? Pookie hasn't as yet, but I've been keeping an eye on her weight since last monday, when her diet was changed a good bit, I wanted to be sure that she wasn't getting all thin and sad. Anyway she was 454g last monday, which has been her noprmal weight for years, 462g yesterday and she's up to 465g today so either my curry is pretty fattening (it isn't) or her ovary is up to something. All the weigh-ins happened after her morning poop and before breakfast, so it's not due to her having just eaten a big meal.

I'm going to call the vet again in the morning to get her opinion, but in the meantime any advice? I'm not massively worried; she gets lots of calcium and has a pretty good diet so if she does pop out an egg she should be ok. Most birds manage to lay eggs pretty regularly without too much trouble, don't they?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 30, 2015

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Same. So many people dislike the ibises that run rampant around Southbank and the Gardens Point campus, but I love them. It is great watching them sneak up behind people, pop their long beaks over their shoulder, and steal chips from their hands. Plus watching them eating hot chips is funny. They also sometimes chase small children.

That's beyond delightful! I love when birds chase people. And I love idiots who don't realize that swans and geese will beat and bite the poo poo out of them, and then proceed to mess with said birds with hilarious results.

Speaking of swans and birds chasing people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZaUc1xhLGA

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Something of a touchy subject, but what are people's views of wing clipping?

Context: We have no issue with our GCC flying around the house, making messes, whatever, but it is extremely hard to catch him if we need to move him places. He has taken to trying to get in the kitchen while we are cooking and one time almost landed on a pot of boiling water (we live in an apt so it is all one big room). Getting him in his cage is a long and messy process of chasing him around the house and trying to hold him on the finger til he goes in the cage.

Now normally that isn't that big of a deal, but we had a situation where a neighbor downstairs had a small fire and we had to bring the pets outside. It took -forever- to get him into his small travel cage, to the point where I realized that if there was a real fire we would basically be screwed because it takes a solid few minutes to get him in his cage

I hate to clip his wings because a bird is supposed to fly, yo, but I am seriously concerned for his safety

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Maybe lightly clip 1 or 2 feathers at a time, slow him down a bit. Maybe try rewarding the hell out of him when he does come to you, with bigger rewards for being quicker?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Maybe lightly clip 1 or 2 feathers at a time, slow him down a bit. Maybe try rewarding the hell out of him when he does come to you, with bigger rewards for being quicker?

I can typically get him on my finger fine, but he spends most of the day outside his cage so he has a huge aversion to going back into it in the middle of the day. I can attempt to hold him as I move him but it is difficult, he usually just takes off

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is sounding more like a discipline / training issue at its core with safety risks as one of the symptoms.

Stopgap the symptoms with a very light clipping such that you can quickly resolve safety problems like the responsible owner you need to be, and work on behavior in the long term.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah just start training him to come on command, and even once he's learnt that keep praising him for it and even give him a treat now and then so 1) He doesn't see it as a bad thing (coming = cage time oh no run away) and 2) he'll be more likely to come even when he doesn't really want to because there might be a treat in it for him

Also maybe treats for going in his cage/travel cage when told too

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pookah posted:

Has anyone here had experience with a bird winding up to laying an egg? Pookie hasn't as yet, but I've been keeping an eye on her weight since last monday, when her diet was changed a good bit, I wanted to be sure that she wasn't getting all thin and sad. Anyway she was 454g last monday, which has been her noprmal weight for years, 462g yesterday and she's up to 465g today so either my curry is pretty fattening (it isn't) or her ovary is up to something. All the weigh-ins happened after her morning poop and before breakfast, so it's not due to her having just eaten a big meal.

I'm going to call the vet again in the morning to get her opinion, but in the meantime any advice? I'm not massively worried; she gets lots of calcium and has a pretty good diet so if she does pop out an egg she should be ok. Most birds manage to lay eggs pretty regularly without too much trouble, don't they?

She just got the implant, right? Isn't it more likely that forced hormonal changes could cause that? I know with humans and birth control it definitely does.

And yeah, it should not be a big deal if she does. Maybe you can also ask the vet whether you should leave the egg if there does turn out to be one? I know most of the time you're supposed to leave it to dissuade them from laying more, but that might be different considering she's getting treatment.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

greypearl posted:

She just got the implant, right? Isn't it more likely that forced hormonal changes could cause that? I know with humans and birth control it definitely does.

And yeah, it should not be a big deal if she does. Maybe you can also ask the vet whether you should leave the egg if there does turn out to be one? I know most of the time you're supposed to leave it to dissuade them from laying more, but that might be different considering she's getting treatment.

You're probably right about it being the hormone implant :doh: I'll ring up tomorrow and check in with the vet. I suppose I was just trying to cover all the possibilities and not just be all "OH GO OH GOD A EGG! WHAT DO I DOOOO!?!?"

On a more cheerful note, i've discovered something that Pookie is completely crazy about to replace nuts and seeds in her foraging toys; broken rice cakes - unflavored, unsalted, no added anything rice cakes. She'll happily spend half an hour fishing them out and crumbling them up :3:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 30, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Anyone have some links to good UK sites for bird toys? Even better if with free shipping.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
So Boggle finally made it to his new home in Canada

Boggle has quite the play room

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

So Boggle finally made it to his new home in Canada

The king of Canada :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

The king of Canada :kimchi:

Fort Boggle :3:

What was the moving process like, in the end?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nightmarish! I'll write it up sometime. I figure some people here might need to know the complications that can come up transporting a little birb from Europe to North America (mainly from jerk bureaucrats)

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Something of a touchy subject, but what are people's views of wing clipping?

Context: We have no issue with our GCC flying around the house, making messes, whatever, but it is extremely hard to catch him if we need to move him places. He has taken to trying to get in the kitchen while we are cooking and one time almost landed on a pot of boiling water (we live in an apt so it is all one big room). Getting him in his cage is a long and messy process of chasing him around the house and trying to hold him on the finger til he goes in the cage.

Now normally that isn't that big of a deal, but we had a situation where a neighbor downstairs had a small fire and we had to bring the pets outside. It took -forever- to get him into his small travel cage, to the point where I realized that if there was a real fire we would basically be screwed because it takes a solid few minutes to get him in his cage

I hate to clip his wings because a bird is supposed to fly, yo, but I am seriously concerned for his safety

Non-aggressive clips to the 2-3 exterior flight primaries are pretty okay for the bird. They can still fly linearly ~20 feet without issue (and fall properly, which is the main concern), but will struggle to gain more than a few feet of altitude in one go, which forces the bird to move around a bit more carefully and makes it easier to catch. They can still go from floor to the top of the TV in a single flapping session, but it will take a lot out of them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Same. So many people dislike the ibises that run rampant around Southbank and the Gardens Point campus, but I love them.

I once found an injured noisy miner that a child was chasing next to the pools at Southbank. I took it to the UQ St Lucia vet hospital, and I now remember that I never checked up and found out what happened to it. :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Commiserating with my Dad over the fact that we are not allowed to buy every cute bird on Gumtree ever :negative:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tsaedje posted:

Boggle has quite the play room

That playroom looks amazing! I can't wait until we have an actual house so that our birds can be just as spoiled (ie, more spoiled than they already are, the little gremlin brats).

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Also, I've some exciting news concerning the three gremlins (well, two of them):

Pazuzu is starting to develop a personality beyond eating everything and being A-okay just kind of existing as long as Gunter's in the room with him (we're pretty sure he was a stoner in a past life). He's begun to play with the toys more, and he's started to take baths and chase the other birds around. He's also begun to chatter to himself when he sits in the cage and has picked up some phrases, mainly "come here" from jade and "I love you" from Simon. :toot:

and the most exciting news:

Gunter, the bitch bird who will happily rend the flesh of anyone who isn't jade and who has seemed to have it out for me for a while now (like the time she tried to murder my arm because I walked by where she was perched, how dare I), seems to be warming up to me. She's started flying over to sit on my shoulders/head--which was initially terrifying, because at first I had been pretty sure she was just getting bolder with her aggression, but the only time she ever drew blood was when she landed on me and couldn't get a good grip with her feet, so my flesh became a convenient beak-hold--and she tolerates me having my hand near her and quickly touching her from time to time before she realizes what I'm up to. Yesterday, she even sat in my hair and groomed me; it was painful, because Gunter's idea of grooming is to grab an individual strand of hair and pull on it hard enough that it feels like she's ripping it out, but I didn't care because, Yay! The murder bird is acting like I'm her friend! :allears:

Most importantly, she let me scritch her the other day. Yes, this was an exercise in trust where jade started scritching her first and then I joined in, and he then backed off and left me to it, so it was possible that Gunter never knew it was actually me at the end, but the important thing was that she's gotten to the point that my presence doesn't set her paranoia to DEFCON 1, kill everything.

She still bit up my hand yesterday when she got spooked and accidentally landed on it, but she didn't draw blood.

Hooray! We're making progress! :dance:

Aug 24, 2011

the true sign of bird love is when they stop tearing off chunks and just draw blood

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just put an order in with Scarlett's Parrot Essentials; Inko needed food anyway so why not grab some toys while in UK, and though their shipping costs suck they seem to have to best selection/price on toys. Birds are getting a few long lasting toys, including a buffet ball and one of those Hol ee Roller things. They'd better like them (they'll get ignored now) :saddowns:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

schnickety scribe posted:

:words:
Hooray! We're making progress! :dance:
That really is excellent news. It's wonderful watching our little dinosaurs develop their personalities and really become comfortable in and for their environment. :)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My partner went home on Saturday and birbs were meant to be picked up yesterday, but this time VanMan and various rental places called weren't able to help, nor today, so they're still at the vet. Got a text just now saying "Called the vet, they're fine, just Ohtori is angry at them as they were too busy today to let him out much" :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Battle Pigeon posted:

Extended vet stay

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Request for thoughts.

Ok we have 5 burbs. Luke male eclectus, Orestes (aka O) male eclectus, Coozie female tag, Ginger female disabled tag, and Fred make disabled tag.

Here's the issue. O is a foster. We wanted a buddy for Luke after Lolita died and they are good friends already. We also specifically asked to foster a bird without health issues. O has health issues, he came with a bacterial and fungal infection, that he's mostly over, but they also sent him with liver medication "just in case ". We've been working with him for the last 4 months and he's improving at being a bird, perching better, stepping up better (right hand only), and getting around his cage better. We haven't been able to get him to gain much weight though, 370g ish, he's big and should be 450, you can still feel his bones. He eats a lot at least. :/

Here's the question, he's not all that friendly to me or Katie, she works the most with him. He will try to chew your hand while he's on it, abet slowly. Not really a bite as we know them. He also only rarely will willingly step down.

In other words, Luke may be attached to him but Katie and I aren't really. I don't feel good about giving him up either though I think he'd do better as a second bird for someone rather than the fourth bird with us. O and Coozie get along ok, Luke and Coozie do not. Luke and O are buddies and are generally out together. We are being asked to either adopt him or open his availability to others.

Thoughts?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Potato Salad posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

They went there a few days later than intended, so it balances out. Converted it's about $8 a day for all of them, I think? Apparently also going to ask for a discount because of the bullshit before

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Wow. At my vet, when I was quoted a 3 day boarding fee for 2 budgies in the same cage, I was told $25/day!!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

You guys, I'm so excited/nervous. I'm adopting another bird (Nanday conure) from a friend of a friend. Her name is Kiwi, she's ~7, and they want to give her to a good home.

I just got off the phone discussing the time I can expect them, and we discussed the background details. I guess they used to let her out all the time and she was a really good, sweet bird but when their old dog and cat passed away and they got new ones, they wanted to attack Kiwi. So then she had to stay in her cage, made worse by the youngest daughter being scared of her. So I'm sure she's going to have hang ups, but I'm prepared to work to make her comfortable and hopefully she can be sweet and loving again.

I really hope this goes well :ohdear:

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
There is a silly birb on my shoulder

I moved his cage out into the main loungeroom of the house, so that when I have him out in my study room hanging out like this he wouldn't constantly try to fly to his cage. Seems to be working.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ahh, now I understand what "angry eyebrows" mean.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't take angry tiels seriously. Whenever Archer tries to get all aggro I just laugh at him.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jack Forge posted:

Request for thoughts.

Ok we have 5 burbs. Luke male eclectus, Orestes (aka O) male eclectus, Coozie female tag, Ginger female disabled tag, and Fred make disabled tag.

Here's the issue. O is a foster. We wanted a buddy for Luke after Lolita died and they are good friends already. We also specifically asked to foster a bird without health issues. O has health issues, he came with a bacterial and fungal infection, that he's mostly over, but they also sent him with liver medication "just in case ". We've been working with him for the last 4 months and he's improving at being a bird, perching better, stepping up better (right hand only), and getting around his cage better. We haven't been able to get him to gain much weight though, 370g ish, he's big and should be 450, you can still feel his bones. He eats a lot at least. :/

Here's the question, he's not all that friendly to me or Katie, she works the most with him. He will try to chew your hand while he's on it, abet slowly. Not really a bite as we know them. He also only rarely will willingly step down.

In other words, Luke may be attached to him but Katie and I aren't really. I don't feel good about giving him up either though I think he'd do better as a second bird for someone rather than the fourth bird with us. O and Coozie get along ok, Luke and Coozie do not. Luke and O are buddies and are generally out together. We are being asked to either adopt him or open his availability to others.

Thoughts?

Could he be preening you? Still learning acceptable touching? He might just like the feel of your fingers?

He sounds like a lot of work though and i don't think anyone would blame you if you gave him to a better home, between your jobs and 3 other birds, its a lot of effort.

Aug 24, 2011

gaston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fIe-Zz04go

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jack Forge posted:

Thoughts?

Problem one is that you're taking advice from someone who has never successfully gotten a bird out of a house once it has been brought in. Just saying. But putting that aside, you've been "asked" -- does this mean you've been given an ultimatum, or does the group you're fostering for have some room for leeway? Because it sounds like if someone came up to you and said "hey, I'm in the mood for an ornery underweight eclectus add-on and if he bites me sometimes I'll just love on him even more" you both would jump on it, or at least agree it's best for O. It's the uncertainty of a good fit and stability that is holding you back, with an additional downside of disruption to Luke/your flock. If so, maybe communicating that you want to keep fostering unless there's a good home with a high chance of success-- and describe what you think it would look like? I think communicating why it's a bad idea to shop him around would be a good start.

The other choice is to flip a coin on the decision. If you want to do best two out of three (or not!), you know where your heart lies.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

So how much of your face did he ultimately take off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

"Hey... ... ... ... HEY! :stare: ... .. ...

gently caress OFF! :byodood:!"