Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Does Torgal also hold the guns gangsta-style?

Yep. You'll see so next update.

Zurai posted:

You mis-spelled Snievan as Sneivan through most of that post, for the record. I before E except after C applies even to random made up fantasy names, I guess!

Huh. I'm positive that I did a find-and-replace to fix those before I posted. Thanks, fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A pair of spears becoming a quad of guns to unleash a bulletstorm on an enemy is certainly an interesting take on Brionac this time around.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't think too hard! Let's just hit stuff!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And this is why earlier on I said we should let Caedmon be a leader while he can. While we try not to use the Remnant arts to build more regular arts, he becomes a must-bring leader. The fact Torgal is really strong normally helps.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, I kind of like Remnants taking forms appropriate to the variant body plans instead of just being The Human Show.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Update coming later today. Sooner rather than later, in fact.

I have also updated the Arcana's bonus post to include brief videos of the five we've learned in action.

I've also recorded the next update. I had to do it a couple times. The first time I was trying to get a new Remnant Art - Zeal's Virtue to trigger, but I failed to do so, so I changed my party back to a more standard configuration and recorded it again. The first time, the boss's special move didn't trigger, so I had to record it a third time, and that produced a take which I'm satisfied with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Scary, here is too scary!

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

We’ve conquered the first base, so here we are at Ghor.

Wait, why are we at Ghor? Oh, right. In one of the bigger dick moves of the game, you have to talk to the Duke of Ghor after your first, third and fifth base battles (you can do the bases in any order, by the way). If you don’t do this, than you miss out on a quest and can kiss your full quest completion goodbye. This got me the first time I played.

Xbox users got an even bigger dick move here because Ghor’s text bubble didn’t have the red outline so you wouldn’t know that he had anything new to say.

Wait, what do you know?!
My emissaries have told me of your stance in our current situation.
Oh, okay.
They have also informed me of something troubling.
What is it?
The Third Committee was thought to have disbanded after the incident at Nagapur, but apparently some stragglers are trying to pick up where they left off. As if I have the time to deal with this sort of trouble now.

learned Lugh’s Revenge!

Torgal claimed the Brionac from Snievan, which grants him the Remnant weapon art Lugh’s Revenge, which is exactly like Snievan’s version of that. There are no special conditions, and if he’s the leader of a union, he can trigger it as soon as his morale meter is maxed out. So that’s triggering another party rearrangement.

Two shifts of note: Torgal replaces Emmy as the head of that union, and Emmy joins Irina’s union. This fulfills two goals: Putting Torgal in position to try out his new toy, and giving Irina a possible opportunity to learn the Rejuvenating Water Arcana, greatly improving her utility. (If you’ve forgotten the conditions, there need to be 4 Remedies users in a union.) By an odd coincidence, that leaves Rush and Torgal’s unions with exactly the same HP.

I also disabled all of Kate’s arts except Dispirit, to encourage her to use that as much as possible.

- Battlefield Video: Base 2

Okay, now we can continue with the assault on Koeningsdorf. I’ll be hitting the bases in numerical order, because that’s the obvious thing to do. Some people might recommend another order, but I’m pretending that I don’t know the reason why. :v:

Music: Clash of Opposites

Mission: Defeat the command squad and assault their base!

We start out right next to some enemies, but there are others farther back which we’d have to march to. By the way, this video has some lag at times. That was present during recording – I forgot to shut off all extraneous applications for the first video, and I didn’t want to re-record. It’s fixed in the second video.

Darian dispatches one enemy squad…

…but their buddies come by to put the hurt on us.

That would have finished the union if one unit hadn’t dodged.

Boom!

How do you like that?!
Yay!

Better than I expected from you.

Gabriel and Torgal team up to finish this union off.

Yeah, this is our big chance!

Irina heals her union, Emmy finally learns Acala’s Wrath, and then uses it to good effect to finish off the last of the enemies in this wave.

Looks like they’re inviting us in to play!
Set ‘em up, I’ll knock ‘em down!

We spend Turn 4 closing in on the enemy in the inner courtyard.

Sure, I’ll show that off.

That’s the third union finisher Darien’s delivered this fight.

The enemy gets some mid-turn reinforcements.

Remnant! Obey my command!

And Torgal can pretty much do that ANY TIME his Morale gets maxed. I won’t, because it lowers art XP for everyone else… but I COULD. This makes Torgal a pretty good leader.

Lord David would like to inform you that he is in fact, still a member of the party.

See, these fights do have the potential to hurt me…

It’s just less likely to do so, given how well I’ve learned the game’s systems. I almost reflexively ensure that I have a union ready to heal. Finally, Irina has learned Rejuvenating Water II. Now that I’ve forced her to learn it with the “Four Remedies Users” method, she has the potential to cast it as a Battle Command with only two casters in her union. Not two Remedies casters. Casters as in “knows any mystic art”. Not even “has a mystic art enabled”. Two more units who are mystic-capable.

There’s still more of these guys?!

Not for long… :black101:

I didn’t mean to hit that dodge trigger, it was instinct.

And so was that one.

The boss unit, the Tactics Squad makes their way to the battlefield.

The qsiti dodged the first hit from Violet’s Dragon Crush combo, but not the second one.

Okay, now THIS time I’ll try an Omnistrike.

This wasn’t enough to one-shot the boss, though.

Ha ha, sweet!

But that’ll do it.

learned Rejuvenating Water II!
learned Acala’s Wrath!
learned:
  • Nimble Twin Gimlet!
  • Nimble Twin Gimlet II!

- Boss Video: Zuido the Fleshrender

Music: Slipping Through your Fingers

Me is… Z-Zuido! Helper to Mr. Conqueror! Me is gonna k-kill you!

Gaah! Scary! Here is too scary! You guys is scary!

You… you…

Raaaahhhh!

Youse alls gonna bite it right here! They don’t call me the Fleshrender for nothin’!

Get it, bro?

I ain’t scared of nothin’! Yeah! ‘Cause wese all goin’ to the same place anyhow!

The other side ain’t so bad, I hear.

How’s about we all find out?!

Music: Press to Victory

Mission: Defeat Zuido!

We’re facing off against Zuido and his accompanying unions (all Yama). As you might expect, Zuido is all about dealing out major physical damage, and he can take a big pounding as well. His minimum HP is about double what Snievan’s MAX HP can reach.

Come on, let’s do this!

Yama are pretty tough, and coming in groups makes them much tougher.

Seriously, look how huge Zuido is.

This isn’t even worth my time!

The hell are you doing?!

What kind of damage is that? I mean yeah it’s a normal attack, but seriously?

Very nice!

And here comes Zuido’s special move, Giant Press.

Don’t die, or anything...

It’s simple, but effective.

I’ll win this and show you what winning really looks like!
Niiice, this one looks loaded!

Only one group of henchmen left, but this fight is far from over.

Jager misses his attack and his union takes some punishment in return.

Zuido uses a lot of power grip combat arts, even ones for a different weapon type than what he uses.

Are you okay?
That wasn’t necessary.

This fight isn’t complicated, you just have to whittle Zuido’s health down while keeping your own up, because his attacks hurt you a lot more than you can hurt him. Rush and Jager will keep their HP up, Irina’s union will break off to finish off the last enemy union deadlocked with Jager, and Torgal and Kate will do full attacks.

Get a load of this!

No chance!

There’s the Katana power grip art. Caedmon’s Silencer won’t do any good obviously, but less obviously, Zuido is also immune or unaffected by paralysis.

Good thing I sent Irina to help out.

Cyclone is a high level Axe-specific power art. The axe is thrown and returns like a boomerang. Torgal dodges this one.

They’re weak over here!

Here I go!

I think this is power grip: Mace.

Zuido sure can take a pounding.

Victory Sweep is a V-shaped attack for the Sword.

Having someone always ordered to heal helps a great deal.

That left Rush with 110 HP. If Zuido had hit just a bit harder, he’d have killed him. Oh, and this is Power Grip: Katana again, but a higher level. The longer the fight goes, the higher level arts he will use.

This is another Axe art. It’s three attacks, one to the left, one to the right, and one straight down.

Interesting…

Okay damage for a low-level item art.

There were even more strikes I omitted, but you get the picture. That was the highest-level mace power grip art. Now he’ll cycle back around to the low-level ones.

Finally, Zuido gets knocked down into critical.

But he retaliates.

Now that Irina has learned Rejuvenating Water, she can call it down at full-morale. I made a minor mistake here and forgot to order anyone to bring Torgal’s Squad back.

The usual buff bosses use when they get in trouble.

It’s a pity I forgot to revive the dead union, but I can’t say that I don’t need this Arcana right now.

Alright, back in action!

Get up, we gotta win this!

You losers aren’t even a challenge!

I can take you!

This is happening because I ordered ALL unions to revive Torgal’s, and since there’s no one left to revive, that forced a reassessment and triggered the arcana.

It was good timing, though. Zuido will use Giant Press at the end of every turn now that he’s in critical health.

So, I’d better finish him off ASAP. Full attacks for everyone!

Arrrrrggghh… Huh? What’s the deal? This… this ain’t fun at all! It’s cold! Cold cold cold… damnit colds colds cold… somebody do somethin’…

Too… cold…

Gaou claims Zuido’s weapon, the Obsidian (pictured here). It’s a Huge sword, and thus Yama-specific. It does have a weapon art attached, but it’s a lot harder to trigger than Lugh’s Revenge the Gae Bolg. I’ll make an attempt, but no guarantees.

That’s two bases down. I’ll hit the towns to make sure I’m topped up on supplies, then head for the next one.

New Arts Summary

learned Lugh’s Revenge!
learned:
  • Rejuvenating Water II!
  • Cascade Strike!
learned Acala’s Wrath!
learned:
  • Nimble Twin Gimlet!
  • Nimble Twin Gimlet II!
  • Land Mine III!
learned Silencer II!

Battlefield Video: Base 2
Boss Video: Zuido the Fleshrender

In theory, with the Obsidian, Gaou can perform the Remnant Weapon Art Zeal’s Virtue, but the requirements are pretty brutal:
  • 90 AP
  • Gaou is union leader
  • Must be out of deadlock
  • High or Low union Morale
  • More enemy unions than friendly

It’s that last one which is hard (and must be out of deadlock does not help). It is nigh-impossible to have both high union morale AND more enemy unions than friendly AND be out of deadlock. I have tried to get it to trigger, but I just cannot. So gently caress it.

You’ll see it in the montage of unique arts (that someone else made) after the LP is over.

Discussion: Who’s next?

Next Time: You seem to enjoy the cries of the weak.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 11, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Young or Milton from that quote. That's my guess. I don't think the insane general will be up.

Could be Hannah and Hinnah though.

And yes, the Duke of Ghor requirements is a massive dick move since the game never even hints you should do it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why do developers add these arcane requirements to super moves? If the amount of effort to execute one is greater than the effort it would take to just attack normally, something is wrong. I'm okay with David's super moves being based on locations, but poo poo like this just reminds me of the esper limit break reqs in FFXII. It's not even a question of effort, I'm pretty sure setting up all those checks requires way more effort than just "activate when morale = 100". The mind boggles.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Fun Poll!: Guess how many waves of "Calvary Call" reinforcements that appear in the next boss fight! Go on, guess. :justpost:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

6, I'm feeling lucky.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Lucky number 7.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'll go with 9.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

12! Twelve waves! For all to mow down!

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
101 waves.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

First double digit prime number (11)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
151. Gotta kill 'em all!

So each of the Seven has the chance to drop both those Heart materials AND a special weapon? My inner item completionist screams in agony.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are the Seven all so, uh, uniquely mental? Is this supposed to be an effect of whatever they're doing for the Conqueror, a necessary precondition for joining, or just a way to make them all instantly distinct?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Verant posted:

151. Gotta kill 'em all!

So each of the Seven has the chance to drop both those Heart materials AND a special weapon? My inner item completionist screams in agony.

No chance, guaranteed. TLR isn't THAT evil.

Glazius posted:

So are the Seven all so, uh, uniquely mental? Is this supposed to be an effect of whatever they're doing for the Conqueror, a necessary precondition for joining, or just a way to make them all instantly distinct?

I always took it as more that they were the kind of people he attracted. He is almost like a god with his power, and his personality is one of being above life, almost all of them seem to be attracted to power, and really, he's the strongest man in the world from my perspective.

In short, he's charismatic defining charisma as the force of personality. But yes, we encountered them in quests

Sovani obsessed with the smell of blood and perfection.
Qisti who lost his men in war and lost his bloody mind trying to revive them.
Milton, who was out for a sword that literally tore to shreds anyone who tried to touch it
Young, who made a game out of killing Rush and basically only didn't because "The Old Man" said it wasn't time yet.
a Yama with a split personality
Hannah and Hinnah, a pair of assassins, one who is of the femme fatal type and the other who is just in it for the bloody murder.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 6, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry this has been taking so long. It's been a really busy week for me, and these battle updates are tough, because I've got to try to find interesting shots and some kind of interesting commentary, and I'm all outa gum. I'm making progress still, but it probably won't be ready tomorrow.

And yes, special drops from bosses are guaranteed, thankfully.

Some one-time rare monsters might have special drops only if you split them, but generally, in those cases, you always capture the monster and have the option to split it. The Rule of Thumb is to split the monster if it's a component you have 1 or very little of (and it seems uncommon). If splitting only gives uninteresting generic materials, sell it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 10, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Perhaps a bit more discussion on each of the seven and what would have made them follow the Conqueror. I'd like to see some story analysis. Always neat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

Perhaps a bit more discussion on each of the seven and what would have made them follow the Conqueror. I'd like to see some story analysis. Always neat.

It'd have to be guesswork on my part, because I don't think there's really a lot the game says about them other than their sidequests and pre-fight monologues. I might try, but I'm not sure it'll work.

EDIT: Actually, I think the update might be ready tomorrow after all. I got all the screenshots and writing done, and I think I can get the encoding and uploading done tomorrow as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

You seem to enjoy the cries of the weak

Two shifts of note: Adding Emmy to the fourth union worked out so well to train Irina to learn Rejuvenating Water that I’m going to repeat that for other units! So Emmy gets switched to the leader spot. I also swap Allan out for Roberto.

- Battlefield Video: Base 3

Now, to Base 3!

We’re facing groups lead by qsiti, it seems.

The first thing these groups do is cast some buff spells on their fellow soldiers, already a different approach to well, pretty much all other battles so far.

Got you!

Don’t underestimate your foes!

We’ve closed in pretty well and are almost at the base. We’re in decent shape, but I’ll have to watch Rush and Torgal’s HP.

That probably would have killed Rush’s Troop if not for that dodge.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

That should be the last of this wave.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

For you to hang back and heal? I couldn’t agree more. There won’t be any fighting this turn.

Torgal’s squad takes down the first wave, but Reinforcements arrive immediately.

It turns out that obelisk at the front of the base has a bunker at its base.

Hey, Caustic Blast managed to hit a second union for once!

Scumbags!

The new groups have some Hex casters, and those are no jokes.

Good timing on the heal, because I think trouble’s about to hit.

Well, that would have hurt a lot more if not for the healing.

I think some caution is in order. I’m ordering a round of healing and ailment-clearing.

Another wave of immediate reinforcements. This one is coming from behind us.

It took a while, but Violet is finally becoming the fighter I remember her as from my first run.

Are you all right?

There’s still more of these guys?!

There are, but we can’t engage them, because only union I is close enough for any unions to even march to. That’s bad news for Emmy’s group, which is still Silenced, and therefore completely screwed.

Get up, we gotta win this!

…Well, that’s one way to clear pesky status effects.

We got a few whacks in, but not enough to finish them off this turn. But the other two enemy unions march into range, so we don’t have to waste a turn doing that ourselves.

Come, opportunity knocks!

Psionics is a Good Art.

Come on, finish them off!

That does 2096 damage, but that’s still not a lot. It’s only about a quarter of this union’s HP.

It’s easily bested by the other units.

Too many deaths…

It seems like we’ve got to waste another turn, because the other baddies won’t come out to play until we wipe out this one. I’m not bothering with Lugh’s Revenge here.

Hex users are pretty pesky opponents even when the status’s don’t land.

Watch and learn!

I’ll win this and show you what winning really looks like!

The number of enemy unions in these Base battles is steadily increasing. With Base 1, there were only 9. Base 2 had 14. Now we’re up to 18.

I was getting tired of this fight anyway. I reach BR 47 from it.

learned Nimble Double Strike III!
learned Hartshorn II!
learned Addle III!
learned Mighty Quadrille!
class changed to Master Bard!

- BOSS Video: Ludope the Vengeful

I… hear them…

Crying out to me… I have borne many accusations...

But you, you are far more cruel. Just look at the destruction you’ve wrought!

Graaarrr! How can you ignore their cries?

The voices of my precious subordinates that you so brutally slaughtered!

You seem to enjoy the cries of the weak. I, Ludope the Vengeful, shall have you make your own, as you WRITHE IN AGONY!

Raaaaahhh!!!

Mission: Defeat Ludope!

We’re up against Ludope the Vengeful and his Qsiti bodyguards. Unlike the previous fights, the extra units aren’t just speedbumps to slow us down, they’re pretty tricky to deal with. So I need all the help I can get here.

Cyclops!

Uh-oh. It’s never good when a boss’s art is listed as “???”.

I’ll make you wish you’d never been born!!

Galaxy is Ludope’s special attack, and it’s a doozy.

Don’t be fooled by the low “Total Damage” number – that’s due to Cyclops’s damage resistance. This spell basically halved the HP of every union.

These enemy unions can heal themselves, although fortunately it’s not that effective.

Galaxy did a pretty good number on us.

It’ll take us a little while to recover from that.

Because I had the trigger prompts on manual, I was able to hit all four of them, thus delaying the final enemy’s action, letting me kill him before he could get an attack. This is one reason why I don’t put turbo on.

Two unions critical and one dead, thanks mostly to the Galaxy, but it was the additional unions which really stung. I’m actually going to deliberately ignore reviving Rush because I want Emmy to learn Rejuvenating Water.

Wildfire is a high-level Invocation art. If that had hit one of our normal unions, it’d probably have killed them.

Palsy Skein is a high-level Evocation art which can cause paralyze, and if it wasn’t for the dodge bonus I get for this being before a unique art, it would certainly have killed Emmy.

Oho!

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Hundred Flowers. This one did 18573 damage.

Cyclops is immediately proving its worth by drawing the attention of most of the enemy unions.

In addition to being miniature mystic menaces, these munchkins may make more of them merge into the melee.

You merely delay the inevitable!

Extra union count: 1
Unfortunately, Emmy hasn’t got anywhere close to enough AP to use Rejuvenating Water, so I’m leaving Rush dead still. I’m going to pick the option for Emmy that uses the least AP possible so she can build up, without getting killed, obviously.

Ludope vs. Cyclops is a good matchup, because it keeps both of them occupied, and they are very unlikely to be able to kill each other.

Fortunately for Torgal’s silenced union, it does not rely on magic for healing.

Couldn’t finish this union off.

Extra union count: 3. Yes, I’m reusing the same image as before. That’s to try and cut back a little on useless images. I’ve got 130 pictures in this update, sheesh.

Would you hurry up and get 130+ AP so I can revive Rush, Emmy’s Squad? I’m prioritizing moves for her which cost no AP.

Well fought!

Yes, feel free to break deadlock to attack the Cyclops. I don’t mind at all. Gaou finished them off.

This is of course, not good. … Geez, what am I doing. I might as well just replace half these comments with “Generic comment on a negative development.”

Finally I can stop screwing around. Everyone is ordered to revive. Torgal’s union has managed to recover from the curse on its own. Funny, they recovered from silence on their own as well. Just lucky, maybe?

There you are! Now go on out and fight!

All right, back in action!

That’s all I wanted. Rejuvenating Water doesn’t clear statuses, and it’s apparently not a guaranteed full heal either, since Torgal’s Squad wasn’t topped off.

You’re better than you look!

That was actually pretty lucky, because while summons are resistant to most status effects, they are specifically weak against Enthrall, like what the Bewitch Hex does. And an Enthralled summon is a real pain to put down. If that status had landed, the heart would have been pink.

These hexes can really wear your unions down, as well as making it hard to retaliate. A real double whammy, if you’ll pardon the pun.

The Summon has a lot of HP and can eat up a lot of healing which you’d hope goes to other unions.

Extra union count: 5. I guess you can blame a lot of those on me screwing around trying to get Rejuvenating Water to trigger.

Remember how Animalcule is great because it poisons, silences, and paralyzes? Well, when you have enemy unions casting two or three of those effects separately, it’s like a poor man’s Animalcule.

And what would have been a one-shot with Acala’s Wrath does a Reasses into Thumb Up rear end II.

Even though the Cyclops is absorbing a lot of attention, the Flank Attacks have killed our Morale, which is pretty dangerous in boss fights.

Extra union count: 8! :negative:

I really need to crush these guys or else they’ll never stop coming. Rush and Torgal will be pretty useless until they stop being paralyzed, which would mean that I need to spend one (or two!) of my remaining unions to clear those status effects. I don’t like that idea, so instead I’m focusing on lowering the enemy morale to stop the cycle.

Another thing from the Details I Never Noticed files: Cyclops can use its “neck” plates to block.

They REALLY don’t like Cyclops. Cyclops is tough, but not even it can stand being piled on by all those vicious arts turn after turn.

One Bluff and Dispirit later, though, our Morale is getting back to where I’d like it.

I order Rush to use Talisman’s Gift, but I don’t know why, since my next order is to have Rush’s union killed, which will cancel it out. I order Torgal’s union to break Deadlock and attack a different union to get better attack commands.

And I am rewarded by taking out another enemy union.

Ha ha!

Even without the dodge, Rush is immune to Enthrall, thanks to the Ragna-Rock.

We don’t get to see this very often, so here you go, a rare treat.

And now it’s gone. Not a big loss since all the dangerous attacks this fight are Mystic arts anyway.

Emmy gets intercepted on the way to Kiss Of Life Cyclops, and all three statuses land.

Pretty devastating.

You’re not half bad!

This clears out two more unions at the same time. Only one more left besides the boss now.

This was a poor choice for an order, since without a cure for the deadly poison, the silence won’t matter.

Ludope isn’t officially in critical health, but I bet he’s pretty close if he’s using this.

Cyclops dying might have been a blessing in disguise, since now, instead of having to heal it in little chunks, I can do it all at once with Kiss of Life. Summons actually only have 9999 HP, but their actual HP is hidden because they have a bunch of resistances that lower the damage they take, so it seems like they have a lot more.

I owe you-

Be Prepared isn’t just a good motto for the Boy Scouts.

Are you all right?

Watch and learn!

And that’s the last of the adds. Whoever had “eight extra unions” wins the pool. Oh wait, NO ONE had that.

I am tired of this fight, so let’s pull out the big guns whenever we can.

Ludope is finally knocked into critical, just before he wipes out Kate’s Pack.

A decent attack. Irina revives Kate’s Pack. A good thing, too, because…

This… can’t be! This… is my grave. At least… the voices are gone now. I can finally… rest… in peace.

learned Restorative Herb III!
learned Eye Cream IV!
learned Maledict III!

Guest-Starring dead weight Roberto actually finishes off Ludope.

This accessory Remnant Pagus gets is not merely Qsiti-specific, but Pagus-specific. It lets him use the weapon art Megalore, which is another whole-battlefield art. It has the same trigger conditions as the Gae Bolg (3+ enemy unions, can’t be in deadlock).

Try something new!
As you say. It should be helpful knowledge.

How should I focus my training from now on? I’ve found myself plagued with uncertainties of late, thus I’d value your opinion, Master Sykes.
Combat arts, for sure!
A knight without a proper command of combat arts is but a disgrace.

Hey. If you’ve got time to be standing around, why don’t we go get me some Demon Bone?
Alrighty.
Appreciate it. C’mon, let’s go.

We won’t be. I don’t feel like tracking a demon down right now. However, if Rush has not made Ninja by the time I finish Base 5, I probably WILL go looking for fights until he hits Ninja, and looking for a Demon is a good an idea as any. But first, we have to check in at Ghor.

New Arts Summary
learned Nimble Double Strike III!
learned:
  • Hartshorn II!
  • Eye Cream IV!
learned:
  • Addle III!
  • Maledict III!
learned:
  • Mighty Quadrille!
  • Mighty Quadrille II!
class changed to Master Bard!
learned Mystic Missile!
learned Megalore!

Heartache is not just qsiti specific, but Pagus-specific. It gives him the weapon art Megalore, an area-effect attack which hits the whole battlefield. It’s trigger conditions are pretty similar to those of the Gae Bolg, but possibly slightly more lenient.

The higher the number of the base, the larger these updates will get, but I don't intend to split them into separate updates.

Poll: A couple of side-quests will open up after we finish Base 6, which we can do before Koenigsdorf. One has some world lore which is somewhat relevant, and the other will grant Jager the ability to summon the Lob Omen. Should we do one or both of these quests before the final showdown at Koenigsdorf?

Next Time: Do you think I’d allow them the chance to hurt you?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Side quests! Always side quests!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All of the sidequesting all of the time.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Smiling Knight posted:

Side quests! Always side quests!

Not emptyquoting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If that battle was any indication, both. That looked rough as gently caress. Also Jaegar owns.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Never not be sidequesting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

So that was, in total, 26 'reinforcement' waves counting the extra unions on the boss?

Good lord.

Sounds like you need Jager's special toy. Go get it!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Never NOT Side Quests. This time it's even justified.

Also should point out that when I was doing the All Unique Leaders run? Ludope can wipe you in a single Galaxy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

So that was, in total, 26 'reinforcement' waves counting the extra unions on the boss?

No, eight total. I just didn't feel the need to take 8 different screencaps of Calvary Call. I guess I wasn't clear on that. I can go back and edit it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No, eight total. I just didn't feel the need to take 8 different screencaps of Calvary Call. I guess I wasn't clear on that. I can go back and edit it.

I was counting the 18 or so from the battle before it :v:

So that plus Calvary Call's 8.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that battle looked rough. I'm guessing despite how thematic it would be, Mr. The Vengeful doesn't actually get stronger when his summoned allies die?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Siiiide quuuuessssts

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Dang, that battle looked rough. I'm guessing despite how thematic it would be, Mr. The Vengeful doesn't actually get stronger when his summoned allies die?

No, he doesn't get stronger. I'd hate to think what would happen if he got stronger and cast Galaxy then. I do think that it's a nice touch that his unions are in large part support-oriented, using a lot of buffs and heals. On another run against Ludope, I learned that if no one engages him, he'll cast a defensive spell on himself, then an offensive spell on one of your unions. But because he never cast Galaxy in that fight, I re-recorded it to show it off.

By the way, as you might expect, the boss battles tend to get harder the higher the base number. That may not have been obvious so far, but that will change.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 12, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Do you think I’d allow them the chance to hurt you?

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

Somethin’ new happening?
I’ve recently received reports of Third Committee cells assembling in Nagapur, Elysion, and even this very castle. Adding to that is a report from the Academy, saying some top-secret Remnant-related research documents have been stolen, and possibly leaked to the black market.
Hmmm… that could be quite problematic.
If that information were to end up in the wrong hands – like those of the Third Committee – who knows what trouble we’d be in for…

I’ve switched Rush and Emmy, so Rush can learn Rejuvenating Water. I also swap Roberto out for Allan.

Now, to Base 4!

- Battlefield Video: Base 4

Nothing’s going to happen on the first turn while we close in.

How d’ya like that?
Wow!

This isn’t even worth my time.

15,000 damage on that Mighty Quadrille II.

A strong one, huh?
Aw, what are you doing?!

Glenys learned Evocations after the last fight, and I forgot to disable them, whoops.

May as well move the morale bar some more.

Victory for Athlum!

Emmy and Torgal have to march to reach targets, but our other unions are on the other side of the bridge (but they still have to close in). Battlefields can be odd like that.

You’d better recognize!

How do you like that?

Rush gets the chance to either use Omnistrike, or to summon Cyclops, but only one union is in range for everyone.

Emmy finishes them off first, so no Cyclops.

Blocter was the only one of this entire fight who didn’t miss.

I have nothing better to do this turn than close in.

This finishes them off. Permafrost is one of the only (if not THE only) Invocation which can be cast from long range.

Uggghhh…. Why did I think this LP was a good idea. These fights go on forever. We’re not even to the boss union yet and we’re up to R. And there are still two more bases to go!

Oh hooray, something to talk about. Emmy upgraded an art.

It’s pretty effective.

Although all our unions are packing major heat at this time.

And Violet with the nut shot finishes this clown.

We’re now at 21 unions, but this should be the last wave. This is why many normal people use the Gae Bolg or other Arcanas to finish these battles a lot faster. I order everyone to heal.

Gabriel heals the union for 1300, recovering most of the damage it took from the being raidlocked and poisoned.

Watch this!
Wow!

Be careful!

That stung, but this is the only union left, so I’ll just have Rush’s break deadlock to heal, while everyone else piles on. I may not have mentioned this before, but Jager’s union is configured for speed, so he should be able to intercept.

And it worked just as planned.

Boom!

Finally.

learned Nimble Moulinet II!
learned Orphic Ward IV!
learned Dispirit III!
learned Dragon’s Flight!
learned Nimble Blue Streak III!

You can still make progress towards arts which are disabled, although at a much slower rate than if you use them, as evidenced by Rush and Loki’s new arts. Kate is advancing slowly but surely towards Bewitch and Cachexia.

- BOSS Video: Hannah the Merciless & Hinnah the Griefbringer

What the hell took you so long? Ugh!

I’m going to bust you up extra just for making me wait!
Hinnah, don’t get too cocky.

Hannah, just stand back. I won’t even need your help with these punks.
Don’t be silly.

Do you think I’d allow them the chance to hurt you?
Heh heh. Okay, for you – I can share.

The Griefbringer’s bringin’ lots of pain your way!

As am I, the Merciless!

Mission: Defeat Hannah and Hinnah!

Two bosses at once! That’s not just for show either, as you’ll find out really soon. Hinnah and Hannah’s adds are all-female, fitting the gimmicks for bosses.

Before the fight, I changed Rush’s Formation to be the one which reduces the union leader’s stats and fixed Emmy’s to not be. I also disabled Loki’s combat arts.

What the?

You won’t get forgiveness from me!

This is obviously their special move, and it’s a doozy. Look what it did to Rush from full health. It also inflicts the Frozen status, which sets frost defense to 0, reduces your extra hits to 1, and means you can’t defend. Oh, and unlike previous bosses, which only did their special at irregular intervals, Hannah and Hinnah will do this art guaranteed every three turns as long as they’re both alive.

Don’t let a punk like that take you out!

It’s also a free action, so they can also move and attack after using it.

Charge Up means it increases your AP. This is an especially bad time for that, because it measn that the last attacker can now re-assess…

Damnit…

All right! Bring it on!

Needless to say, we’re not doing very well after Turn 1. Since Rush is the one who needs to learn Rejuvenating Water, I can’t leave him dead. Healing for pretty much everyone, Jager will bring Rush back.

Well fought!

Will a momentarily higher-morale make up for a guaranteed-dead union? I’m not sure.

Get up!
Wait, somebody took me out?!

Paris tops off Jager’s union.

Hinnah will also buff Hannah from time-to-time.

Rush isn’t close to having enough AP for Rejuvenating Water, so I’m wondering if I should bring Torgal back now anyway, or wait until Rush does have the AP.

Yeah! What’s my name?!

Even low-level arts have a chance to inflict Blacked Out once they reach Rank IV.

I realize that there will be a Twin Snowpetal in this turn, so everyone should heal.

You won’t take us without a fight!

Rush goes down.

Torgal gets brought back, though, and Darien helps heal Emmy’s union.

Caedmon being in the Mystics group for what seems like ages now has advantages, as he has Vivification Herb enabled, freeing Pagus to use Revitalize.

We continue to fight!

And Torgal sits right back down again. But that does help set the field for Rush to learn Rejuvenating Water.

That’s the last of the minion unions.

Unfortunately, the AI decided that now was not a good time for Rejuvenating Water after all.

The girls spend most of their turns using ordinary attacks and debuffs, which just isn’t going to cut it. Twin Snowpetal is their only really threatening move.

Do you require assistance?

Not particularly, Torgal.

Sub-500 damage isn’t going to cut it. Heck, even 1200 damage would seem inadequate.

Hinnah gets knocked into Critical.

I decline the chance to add Cyclops in favour of healing.

What is SUPPOSED to happen once Hinnah reaches critical health is that Hannah goes over and casts Second Chance on her, healing her a lot (maybe up to full). But I couldn’t get that to trigger, either here or in my test run. (She did do it the first time I played, though.) Maybe she was too far away, because for me the other targets are considered too far to break deadlock.

Damnit… Hannah… it really…

And that’s one down. It was suggested that I use these comments in the long battles to talk about the Seven and what makes them follow the Conqueror. Well, the problem with that is that we really don’t find out enough about them to do that. Hannah and Hinnah are the prime example. They just seem to be mercenaries, but other than that fairly normal. Unlike some of the other of the Seven, their sidequest painted them as potential party members rather than villains.

Thank you.

I wasn’t expecting that to actually work, but I’m not complaining.

Okay, fine, Cyclops clearly wants to come out and play. So why not.

Twin Snowpetal is gone, but Hannah takes her sister’s death personally, and goes into Overdrive.

But five normal attacks, three of which were blocked are still not a threat with her low attack power.

Cyclops!

Oh hey, that one actually hurt a little.

But she can’t hope to keep up with our damage output.

Shouldn’t be much longer now.

Uhh… Hinnah…

With that I reach BR 48.

learned:
  • Rejuvenating Water III!
  • Kiss of Life III!
learned Nimble Double Strike IV!
learned Permafrost III!
learned Dragon Crush!
class changed to Lordly Cleric!

Irina claims Hinnah’s Nightbloom Katana, switching her from the 2H staff to a 1H Katana style. You can deny her the Katana, at which point Emmy claims it, but there’s a really good reason why you want Irina to have it. Which you’ll see in 20-ish or so updates, depending on speed.

Sure, no prob.
So generous! I appreciate it.

Pagus, it’s literally a Pagus-specific Remnant. There’s no one else who could use it even if I denied that request.

Start studying Hexes? Or stick to areas I know? Hmm…
Try something new!
I doubt anyone needs to get any more powerful than I already am, but sure, I’ll give it a shot.

That’s all for this update. Still two more bases to go, but at least things will get more interesting.

New Arts Summary
learned Nimble Moulinet II!
learned:
  • Orphic Ward IV!
  • Rejuvenating Water III!
  • Kiss of Life III!
learned Dispirit III!
learned Dragon’s Flight!
learned Nimble Blue Streak III!
learned Nimble Double Strike IV!
learned Permafrost III!
learned Dragon Crush!
class changed to Lordly Cleric!

Battlefield: Base 4
BOSS: Hannah the Merciless & Hinnah the Griefbringer

Poll: We are already up to 21 unions defending Base 4. How many unions will we defeat in the battle of Base 6? (Does not count boss battle unions.)

Next Time: Feels like I aged fifty years waitin’ for ya!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Where's the other katana, game?
I feel this is a beat of a cheat.

What I would like to know is how these (severely) unstable people got hold of their remnants, were they gifts from the conqueror? Or were they found like that serrated katana that old fight-crazy man 'tamed'.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That felt kind of meh. I guess since they had no idea which of them died first they couldn't do anything for a post-battle cutscene.

Engagement with the Conqueror's crew seems pretty low here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Where's the other katana, game?
I feel this is a beat of a cheat.

What I would like to know is how these (severely) unstable people got hold of their remnants, were they gifts from the conqueror? Or were they found like that serrated katana that old fight-crazy man 'tamed'.

Yeah, if the second Katana dropped, then that might have been a good reason to give them both to Emmy instead of Irina.

Maybe a bit of A, maybe a bit of B.

I've also recorded ahead quite a bit, and am to the point where I'm now beating my head against the wall in the sidequests you requested (by fighting enemies with a base BR of 83 when I am BR 50). Hope you guys like three half-hour long battles in one update! (Well okay I only did the first one so far, but it's a safe bet the others won't be much easier.)

EDIT: Okay, only the one battle was very hard, but I'm still going to split the update in half.

wdarkk posted:

That felt kind of meh. I guess since they had no idea which of them died first they couldn't do anything for a post-battle cutscene.

Engagement with the Conqueror's crew seems pretty low here.

Sad, but true, unfortunately.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread