Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/uptomyknees/status/638493083043262464

I would be honored to be hated by RLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oh my god, the director of this film did not agree with the people who did not like his film, but isn't particularly angry! Epic lulz. Top kek.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Max Landis is a cool dude who's maybe too much in the spotlight but that's not really his fault.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh my god, the director of this film did not agree with the people who did not like his film, but isn't particularly angry! Epic lulz. Top kek.

It's actually pretty fun that a man, in response to two nerds from the midwest making jokes about his movie, went all

quote:

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 2h2 hours ago
@ARealHuman20 @redlettermedia remember, these guys are completely outside of the film industry. Their opinions are ultimately just that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Next I'll address the criticism of Dogballs69 who said my movie 'ate rear end'. Wow, didn't see your name on the Oscars guest list, guess that shows what's what, huh?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Max Landis is a total douchbag motherfucker who happens to be incredibly talented at everything of his I've seen. I've not seen Chronicle or American Ultra, though. I don't think I'd like Chronicle, but American Ultra seems okayish.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe they liked those garbage Hobbit movies. They're like everything RLM hates distilled into one 12-hour package.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's doing the exact opposite of what you should do to show you have any tact or humility. He's passive aggressively (I'd say more on the aggressively) trying to discredit them because they liked another movie. Isn't that a childish thing to do? And the only reason RLM was moderately harsh on Landis himself was because he called them out on Twitter, and RLM poked him a little bit.

Here's a cool director responding to a critic who HATED his film. I mean loving HATED. I'm talking like, the site writing 4-5 think pieces on why his movie is a piece of poo poo...

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/624455912598573056

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

CelticPredator posted:

He's doing the exact opposite of what you should do to show you have any tact or humility. He's passive aggressively (I'd say more on the aggressively) trying to discredit them because they liked another movie. Isn't that a childish thing to do? And the only reason RLM was moderately harsh on Landis himself was because he called them out on Twitter, and RLM poked him a little bit.

Here's a cool director responding to a critic who HATED his film. I mean loving HATED. I'm talking like, the site writing 4-5 think pieces on why his movie is a piece of poo poo...

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/624455912598573056

Landis also used the "you're not in the film industry, your opinion is not valid" excuse, and I really hate that mentality.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's actually pretty fun that a man, in response to two nerds from the midwest making jokes about his movie, went all

What an epic meltdown. This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened and totally not some boring bullshit.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Maybe he'll get so angry he'll go complain to his friends and they'll spam Red Letter Media with weird bigoted bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is this bothering you so much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Landis should have been cast as one of the Vietnamese kids in his dad's Twilight Zone movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ok, maybe that went too far.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Noah is apologetic about his lack of videos and is actually getting a day job, and offering a refund on Patreon donations.

Oh, you thought I was talking about Spoony? :newlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbO-UvehEco

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Max Landis should have been cast as one of the Vietnamese kids in his dad's Twilight Zone movie.

That wouldn't make sense anyways because he wasn't born then until two years later.

Now I feel bad for John knowing his kid ended up being a spoilt brat because barely anyone appreciated American Ultra or any of his work.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 1, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This is crazy, especially considering RLM DID like Chronicle and DONT like the hobbit movies.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Watching those clips of American UItra made me remember how great that "Every Frame a Painting" video on why nobody can make a decent action comedy anymore these days was so great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

What an epic meltdown. This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened and totally not some boring bullshit.

Alright, Max, we get it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is crazy, especially considering RLM DID like Chronicle and DONT like the hobbit movies.

Yea they had a decent bit of good to say about Chronicle didn't they? I thought it was a pretty solid movie, not great, but there was stuff to like for sure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I disown my son now that he has been pwned on the internet.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yes! I made a new review, and it's not of an ice cream!

I managed to find a movie about a crossdresser who wasn't evil, wasn't a drag queen and wasn't crossdressing to enter a sorority/win the curling tournament/get a job. And it's not even directed by Ed Wood.
Behold - Molly Weasley dates Some Guy from Heroes, in the 80s-et 90s movie I've ever seen.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Noah is apologetic about his lack of videos and is actually getting a day job, and offering a refund on Patreon donations.

Wow, that sucks. Especially his bus getting vandalized. :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If anything, I'm retroactively astounded that Chronicle turned out as well as it did, seeing as how both Max Landis and Josh Trank have turned out to be massive raging, combative assholes. You'd think the film would have destroyed itself being caught between the two of them, but no...

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd's new OHW is on Turning Japanese by The Vapours. That was fast.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It wasn't really that interesting of an episode, honestly. Not bad, just kinda there. The band flamed out so quickly after their hit there wasn't really much to talk about.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Makes me wish he requested something really obvious like Rock Me Amadeus by Falco. I don't consider him a one hit wonder but most people do. It's a shame because he had a lot of good songs.

Well, at least Todd can pick which groups he wants to cover now.

Edit: I went and watched his review of Maniac again just for the heck of it and he mentioned that there aren't many spooky one hit wonders out there. I recently came across this one for the first time in years and it's amazing. Probably my favourite out of all the 80's stalker songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIs5StN8J-0

Problem is, an episode on them wouldn't be very interesting. They're basically a bunch of Human League wannabes and their other songs are really lame.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the first time I was aware of who Max Landis is and what a big douchebag he is.

I hate the world even more now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The only thing that I liked by Max Landis was "Wrestling isn't Wrestling" since it's pretty fun and entertaining.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jsor posted:

It wasn't really that interesting of an episode, honestly. Not bad, just kinda there. The band flamed out so quickly after their hit there wasn't really much to talk about.

The best part about the video was Todd talking about The Jam. Go listen to The Jam. They're great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZakAce posted:

The best part about the video was Todd talking about The Jam. Go listen to The Jam. They're great.

The Jam are great but Secret Affair were better. As were the Specials. :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Jam are great but Secret Affair were better. As were the Specials. :v:

The only band of those that I know is the Specials.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

The only band of those that I know is the Specials.

Definitely check out Secret Affair - they had three albums, the best of which is the first (Glory Boys). Their drummer (Seb Shelton, who Jerry Dammers incidentally also tried to headhunt for the Specials before they got John Bradbury) later joined Dexys Midnight Runners - he's the guy in the "Come On Eileen" video who's really getting into it (and fun fact: he was later sacked from the band for washing and shaving, which contravened the hillbilly image Kevin Rowland wanted to project at the time).

The Jam were basically a punk band (an exceptionally gifted one, mind) who dressed in suits and occasionally did soul covers - Secret Affair were more of a full-on mod band. Their lead singer played the trumpet and everything. From the same era, also try Q-Tips, which was Paul Young's band before he became more of an adult contemporary solo singer.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Miss Wallace, may I interest you in the fiasco of a direct-to-DVD movie produced when Guam hired Albert Goddamn Pyun to kickstart its film industry?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Testekill posted:

The only thing that I liked by Max Landis was "Wrestling isn't Wrestling" since it's pretty fun and entertaining.

I also really like The Death and Return of Superman. It's not as good as Wrestling isn't Wrestling though.

American Ultra seems like it would've been a lot better if they scaled it down. Max Landis works best on small scale productions, and a new IP can't really compete with the familiar stuff on the level where they tried to unless it's something way more interesting or has a massive name behind it. Oh and they should've brought in a director who actually knew what they were doing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First thing I knew about Max Landis was this Spider-Man fanfic he wrote like 15 years ago where Shocker is the main character (it's called Shocker: Legit). It starts off pretty well as a kind of buddy cop thing with Shocker and the Rhino, but it quickly descends into stereotypical dark 'n' edgy "people will think it's for kids if it isn't violent" stuff (Shocker uses his gauntlets to explode Bullseye's testicles, vibrate the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull and blow up a D-list bad guy), Shocker becomes a full-on Mary Sue and the ultimate villain is Shocker's dad, whose plan is to blow up Galactus with a gamma bomb and loot his corpse.

However, I liked Chronicle and I did enjoy the Superman story he did where Joker comes to Metropolis and Superman not only foils his scheme in seconds, but when Joker tries to play mind games with him, his response is basically to go, "Lol 2edgy4me," and arrest him.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

vibrate the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull

Isn't this almost exactly how Ultimate Gambit kills Ultimate Hammerhead, if you replace "vibrate" with "kinetisplode"?

Ultimate Marvel really was trying too hard to be dark and edgy most of the time, wasn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paladin posted:

Isn't this almost exactly how Ultimate Gambit kills Ultimate Hammerhead, if you replace "vibrate" with "kinetisplode"?

Not sure - haven't read that one. I sort of lost interest in the Ultimate universe (except for Spider-Man) around the time Robert Kirkman started writing Ultimate X-Men.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

echopapa posted:

Miss Wallace, may I interest you in the fiasco of a direct-to-DVD movie produced when Guam hired Albert Goddamn Pyun to kickstart its film industry?

Ha! You'd think he'd come up with a less cliched plot then.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
SF Debris has posted the first video of his history of Transformers series in which he talks abot the history of G.I. Joe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmozIug6tlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thank god, I've been needing more SF Debris ever since Blip went down. It's nice he's already got a new video out, dude is cool.

• Locked thread