Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

demonR6 posted:

There, on my FOG bunghole.

Also got both my letter E's on back to back matches... last one I ruined a CV going straight at him in my Wickes unloading torps from both sides and nuking him. One thing about this contest it may me super aggressive and I killed some dudes in epic fashion.

Oh was that you? I saw the FOG_Somalipirate name and was like "i bet thats a goon I should let him kill me" because finding Es (and Xs) is a bitch.

Everyone on my team got super mad at me, was p funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Wait were you Exordium in the Hosho?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

When do you play? I'm almost desperate enough to try sync-dropping with an E name just to be done with it.

Also Jesus motherfucking Christ does playing US carriers frustrate the poo poo out of me. Sometimes I can lay down perfect manual drops that get me 4-5 hits (BBs are too short to hit the whole spread at lower tiers I swear!), and other times I just go complete idiot baby retard mode and miss every single drop all game.

I'm on the Bogue and keep going back and forth from the default loadout to the double fighter one, as I spend a couple of games whiffing totally with torps, then spend a few where my fighters win air superiority but I can't make an impact with the bomber squad (I mean, I can hit things, manual bomb drops are wayyyyy easier than manual torpedo drops, they just do poo poo all for damage), and the cycle repeats. Nothing feels worse than whiffing 3-4 torp runs in a row and then that's the round! I have yet to try the strike loadout, zero fighters seems even more painful.

I think I should stop playing this tree and I would not recommend it to others right now!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

DurosKlav posted:

Use AP for one, dont use HE as a crutch or you will never really learn how to properly do damage as a battleship.

I wrote a little guide for shooting cruisers around that tier. Its not perfect but its good for building a base.
iChase also just released a captains academy video on aiming. His videos are pretty good so give it a look.

Other than that its just a lot of practice, and a small bit of RNG luck.

I've reviewed all this, the issue I have with the NY is that the vast majority of my salvoes are doing like 2000 or 3000 damage. Whereas in the Wyoming I felt pretty confident about citadeling cruisers or getting meaty 5k+ volleys against other BBs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
When the hell are clan tags going to be visible in game? I want just the sight of us to cause rage in pubbies.

I told some German loving idiot that his opinion was invalid because he was dead and liked tiger tanks. The ensuing rant was beautiful.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Oh Dasha, you make minekaze nerfs not seem so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbPIfwXSTg

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I thought the Furutaka was bad until i got this Mutsuki. Please tell me they are going to buff it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, a friend and I were trying to get his A, X, and L to finish up the contest for him, too. We got the X and L fairly normally, then decided to hop in the old Samsons to try to get the A. I was not prepared for the game that followed.

I sacrificed myself to keep the enemy from focusing on him and damaged a few with citadel shots, he finished three cruisers to cut his way through the enemy with the A, torpedoed him twice, turned, torpedoed him 4 more times, and it didn't finish the BB, who he then rammed to finish off and get the contest done with.

That was awesome.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I've reviewed all this, the issue I have with the NY is that the vast majority of my salvoes are doing like 2000 or 3000 damage. Whereas in the Wyoming I felt pretty confident about citadeling cruisers or getting meaty 5k+ volleys against other BBs.

Its possible your aim is just too high coupled with the dispersion RNG causing your shots to float up and hit the superstructure. About the only thing I can recommend is to start shifting your aim lower on the waterline.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Wait were you Exordium in the Hosho?

Yup, that was me. Pulled a 180 when I saw you sneaking up the middle. I was worried you were gonna cut west towards the cruisers before you spotted me coming out from behind the island.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I give up. I went through hell to get a enemy battleship at close range in my destroyer and had him lined up perfectly for my torps. I launch them after telling everyone I really wanted the kill for the PAXMARBLEHEAD contest, and some asshat shoots and kills him moments before my torps impact. He was literally the first person in 5 matches with an A on an enemy team, and some dickhead decides to screw things up for me. I loving hate these types of contests. It's not like I'm asking for all the glory - just one loving ship out of 12. Would it kill people to show a little team spirit and let someone who asked to make the kill actually make it?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah this contest has made me hate 'teammates' even more, and I did not think that was possible. You can get one A from a bot in co-op if you have not already. Too bad there are no E bots. Only thing I have left are the two Es.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

grrarg posted:

Yeah this contest has made me hate 'teammates' even more, and I did not think that was possible. You can get one A from a bot in co-op if you have not already. Too bad there are no E bots. Only thing I have left are the two Es.

There are two A bots, and nothing says you can't use the same name twice if you kill them two different times

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I would loving love it if this game would stop shooting at islands instead of behind islands.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

grrarg posted:

E's are brutal man, all I need is my two as well. I haven't even seen anyone with an E name yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sdr782 posted:

E's are brutal man, all I need is my two as well. I haven't even seen anyone with an E name yet.

I had a hell of a time finding Es and then today, after I'd finished, we ran into like 8 in a row.

Similarly, yesterday, when I was hunting them, I had 5 games in a row with two Es on my side and none on the enemy.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Finally mopped up my last E by going into the slit that leads to C on Fault Line in old St. Nick and took out one Phoenix on my starboard with a torp shot because he beached himself, and then popped smoke after entering the bay, so the second Phoenix (E!) beached himself on the north shore after avoiding my 6 spread on my port side so I finished him off with guns and felt like a loving boss.

I think I hate this game.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I doubt the Marblehead is going to be worth all the mental anguish you guys are going through to get it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DurosKlav posted:

I doubt the Marblehead is going to be worth all the mental anguish you guys are going through to get it.

At the same time, diving through 5 enemy cruisers on a mad dash to assassinate someone because of a bounty on their name and succeeding is fun as hell.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

But it's a free premium ship! I'm a failure as a player if I don't collect all the premium ships they give out, and which will mostly sit in my port unused.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
You might not think it's worth it, but i say it is. Only my 2nd game in this boat and i am loving it already.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I saw somebody else post earlier that it's basically an Omaha B hull, is that right? What's the gimmick that differentiates it?

Also if not for the phantom Es, this was kind of a fun quirky challenge, gave me something to focus on instead of the grind, and it's not like I wasn't gonna shoot boats anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reztes posted:

I saw somebody else post earlier that it's basically an Omaha B hull, is that right? What's the gimmick that differentiates it?

Also if not for the phantom Es, this was kind of a fun quirky challenge, gave me something to focus on instead of the grind, and it's not like I wasn't gonna shoot boats anyway.

I saw a preview of it and it has longer range torpedoes, lovely AA, and I think it had more HP.

But it's an Omaha. There is no bad Omaha.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Holy moly the Shimakaze vomits torpedoes everywhere. :stare:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
All I care about the Marblehead is that It's (A) not a Tier 2 or 7 and (B) it's an Omaha that's classified as a Premium ship. As it is I can clear 150k credits on my C hull Omaha on a good loss - this thing might be a :20bux: printer for me. I can throw my 5.25 skill Omaha Captain in there for extra 1.5/2x daily grinding too. Looking at the WoWs wiki, the AA rating is the same as the A hull, it has 200 more HP than the C hull, and the torpedoes are actually pretty lovely looking (6233 dmg/8.2km/49 kts/1.6 ROF vs Omaha 11,733 dmg/5.5km/56 kts/0.9 ROF). Actually, those torpedoes are almost identical to what the Wickes gets. Also, the hull armor is ever so slightly better - 6-15mm vs. 1-13mm

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress playing this until the contest is over. So many people coming at me hard for those E screenshots.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, I'm just impatiently waiting for a free premium IJN ship. The CBT reward was US, as have been both the other two free ships since. While I normally wouldn't mind whatever we were given - being free and all - in this case it means WG has given me plenty of options for easily retraining US captains, but precisely zero for IJN ones. Which is somewhat annoying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I'm just impatiently waiting for a free premium IJN ship. The CBT reward was US, as have been both the other two free ships since. While I normally wouldn't mind whatever we were given - being free and all - in this case it means WG has given me plenty of options for easily retraining US captains, but precisely zero for IJN ones. Which is somewhat annoying.

I think they're intentionally making the IJN have more 'grind' points because they know they've got a lot of fans who will pay real money to progress through that tree easier.

It's the only explanation for the Furutaka.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Muahahah I'm done... Kongo driver was mad, I finished him with torpedoes from beyond the grave.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 1, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, so. Clevelands. I know about their bullshit weirdo citadels, but are they armored or aren't they? Because I seem to have trouble getting good damage with AP. I can't quite tell if I'm overpenning or bouncing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

Alright, so. Clevelands. I know about their bullshit weirdo citadels, but are they armored or aren't they? Because I seem to have trouble getting good damage with AP. I can't quite tell if I'm overpenning or bouncing.

Are you using a BB or a CA/DD? BBs most likely overpen if they aren't getting 3k damage hits or citadel hits. You can visually see a shell bouncing if that's what happening. If your shell is penning, but not penetrating the citadel, you will still deal normal penetration damage. Try hopping into training room and sticking a bunch of clevelands as anchored bots, then go in and take shots at the waterline to find the citadels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CA. I think I've figured out what's happening; I'm getting too close in my own Cleveland and so when I fire the shells they're actually striking at an angle despite the enemy being broadside to me, from how far out on the boat the turrets are compared to the aimpoint. I've noticed I can see the tracers bouncing.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Am I a bad player, or does this matchmaking look a little awful to other people too?

Because I can't see past a carrier with three torp bomber wings on one side, and the two AA cruisers that could have balanced that sitting on the same side.

Maybe I'm just butthurt because I got triple dropped in the first 3 minutes of the game.

E: My team did not win.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 1, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

IPCRESS posted:

Am I a bad player, or does this matchmaking look a little awful to other people too?

Because I can't see past a carrier with three torp bomber wings on one side, and the two AA cruisers that could have balanced that sitting on the same side.

Maybe I'm just butthurt because I got triple dropped in the first 3 minutes of the game.

E: My team did not win.

It would actually be tilted in your team's favor, if that Ryujo was in fact, not a Ryujo, and something else. You have more T6s than the enemy team, but CVs, especially unopposed CVs, are overwhelming in their own right. T6 is right when they start to hit their stride, too, though T7 is the real annoying tier (for IJN at least, the US don't get scary till 9).

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Hazdoc posted:

Try hopping into training room

There's a training room?!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So did I just have a string of bad luck, or are the New Mexico's turrets insanely vulnerable? So far in every match I played with it I've had at least one of them destroyed permanently, and temporary knockouts also seem to be very common.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Perestroika posted:

So did I just have a string of bad luck, or are the New Mexico's turrets insanely vulnerable? So far in every match I played with it I've had at least one of them destroyed permanently, and temporary knockouts also seem to be very common.

Do you have the mod to reduce damage to turrets installed?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

ranbo das posted:

Yup, that was me. Pulled a 180 when I saw you sneaking up the middle. I was worried you were gonna cut west towards the cruisers before you spotted me coming out from behind the island.

HA! That is some funny poo poo. I started the match by telling my team "That Hosho is my last letter E for the Pax contest and I will unload double volleys of torps into any of you who get between me and that ship.." then I blasted right through, killed that one dude from your team who was trying to cut me off before I blazed trails to you.

Now here is where everything went to hell for me...

I have an icon mod so I cannot take screens after the battle because you cannot read the name of the ship you sank. I figured I have replays enabled so after all this is done I will go to the replay in question, fast forward to the end and get my screen right? After I was done with that last match I logged out of botes and did folder renaming launched my first replay. I fast forwarded to the end and then...

well when the last ship is killed the loving replay ends without going to the after action report. All that work..

:negative:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Even though I know they'll be terrible, whenever they add the German ships I'm going to grind out the M, P, and O classes just because of Navyfield nostalgia. Who knows, maybe they'll even be useable if they're speedy in spite of the lack of armor and guns bigger than 15".

One thing I miss from Navyfield in Warships is the ability to mount other guns from standard. In NF you could fit faster firing, shorter range variations of guns, or swap them out entirely for different configurations. One of the common ones was replacing the 2x15" turrets on the Bismarck with 3x11" guns, since the latter had better range for some reason. You could also decrease armor in exchange for higher speed.

I guess with Warships being random teams doing that would provoke rage when some jerk stripped the armor and guns from a Yamato as a gimmick. But I have fond memories of mounting a single 11" gun on destroyers, that sort of thing.

Velius fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

This is the issue I'm having with the New York: http://gfycat.com/DismalContentChrysalis

3 AP shells into the lower hull of a Wyoming, 3300 damage. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong here.