Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Poor Urist Mckurosawa, he is trying his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

program666 posted:

We have a game chat thread in Games, and I like it but the guys there feel much more focused on console games, and I never see guys from this thread or the X3 thread there. So, do any of you guys know if is there some sort of game chat thread where the people are more focused on PC games/crazy poo poo like X3, Mount and Blade, Dwarf Fortress, etc.?

The Imp Zone subforum, where you can post casually about games.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Crimson Harvest posted:

The Imp Zone subforum, where you can post casually about games.
I browsed the imp zone for a long time and I think they are even more focused in consoles. There was at some point a stone soup thread because they were taking part in some tournament but that was one of the very few instances of them talking about a game I'm legitimately interested in. Also their type of humor is not really my cup of tea (besides some few posters).

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

Get some practice with a stable version

:psyduck:

Most. Misleading. Advice. Ever.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Hihohe posted:

What was the fortress name, because RIP that fortress.

Excelzior posted:

that's 7 time as many dwarves left as Bronzemurdered

You.
Must.
Rebuild.

Well I cheesed my world with lots of minerals and invaders set to low so everyone who survived has like legendary discipline. They also have enough food/drink to last them long enough to bury everyone before the ghosts take over.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

quote:

Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of Servesh Crestedwheeled the Dwarf and a hazel wood bed by Etur Cogstorlut. Sarvesh is raising the hazel wood bed. The artwork relates to the masterful hazel wood bed created by the dwarf Sarvesh Crestedwheeled for The Wooden Tower at Fondledhatchet in the late autumn of 6

I like new worlds :shobon:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It must take a lot of patience to make a hazel wood bed. That's probably why he's so proud of it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

bay12 status:

quote:

Presenting taxidermy.lua

This script is designed for use with a reaction that takes a corpse and produces a statue. It should be combined with reaction-product-trigger, as exemplified below, so that it activates when your reaction occurs. The script then obtains the item id of both the corpse and statue, and processes both such that the final statue description and image correlate to the race and caste of the input corpse. If the -record_name argument is included and the corpse came from a named historical figure, it will instead modify the statue to display it as being of that specific historical figure.

love these people sometimes

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wait...if I read that right, you can stuff people to make mummy/statues?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Excelzior posted:

wait...if I read that right, you can stuff people to make mummy/statues?

There is precedent, with Jeremy Bentham among others.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Will it count as a grave/memorial slab for haunting purposes?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just wanted to pop in and say that becoming a necromancer in adventure mode is awesome.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

darthbob88 posted:

There is precedent, with Jeremy Bentham among others.

Also according to the Romans, when the Sassanid Persians captured Emperor Valerian alive, after significant forced humiliation they stuffed his body and placed it in the throne room, though of course, the sources that allege that aren't particularly unbiased.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lesson learned today: while awesome, necromancers do in fact need to breathe. YASD

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Lesson learned today: while awesome, necromancers do in fact need to breathe. YASD

Become a vampire necromancer.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Become a vampire necromancer.

this is always the solution

Goblin army threatening to invade? Become a vampire necromancer.

dragon terrorizing the village? Become a vampire necromancer.

Slept on your side and now you feel funny? Make sure ARM:OK then become a vampire necromancer.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I thought you couldn't become a vampire after you become a necromancer?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Easy solution, become a necromancer vampire!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

packetmantis posted:

I thought you couldn't become a vampire after you become a necromancer?
You can do it the other way around though.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I once found a necromancer hanging around in a hall and I recruited him to my party, he'd end up bringing things I killed back to life and I'd have to fight them again.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Shayu posted:

I once found a necromancer hanging around in a hall and I recruited him to my party, he'd end up bringing things I killed back to life and I'd have to fight them again.

He's just trying to help you gain experience.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

quote:

Rutodisal, "Dashedgallows", a bronze bucket

This is a bronze bucket. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with rose cut red tourmalines. This object menaces with spikes of slate.

On the item is an image of Alath Heavenspear the human and dwarves in bronze. Alath Heavenspear is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the human Alath Heavenspear to the position of queen of The Unbridled Corridor in 106.

quote:

Cuggannothis, "Sandgrieve", a slate ring

This is a slate ring. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with baguette cut red tourmalines, studded with bronze, decorated with maple and encircled with bands of marquise cut golden beryls. This object menaces with spikes of slate. On the item is an image of Dashedgallows the bronze bucket in slate.

Putting an image of a very detailed bucket onto a ring is very impressive.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

siggy2021 posted:

Wasnt there an old glitch where relics would be Euclideanly detailed? Like it would have like 20 different events happening on it?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hihohe posted:

Wasnt there an old glitch where relics would be Euclideanly detailed? Like it would have like 20 different events happening on it?

Yes.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
reanimated necromancer weredwarf vampire zombie

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
'were' means 'man', so does a weredwarf become a dwarf during a full moon? If so does it go crazy and attack people, infecting them with lycanthropy, or does it just drink the booze and work really hard for a day?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Crimson Harvest posted:

'were' means 'man', so does a weredwarf become a dwarf during a full moon? If so does it go crazy and attack people, infecting them with lycanthropy, or does it just drink the booze and work really hard for a day?
The 'lyc' in lycanthropy refers to wolves. To be linguistically precise, he would have to infect them with nananthropy, from 'νάνος,' dwarf.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:goonsay:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You fuckers deserve Dwarf Fortress.

And Bad Munki.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TildeATH posted:

And Bad Munki.

Sounds like someone needs to walk through mist and admire some furniture.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TildeATH posted:

And Bad Munki.

Aww, thank! You too :kimchi:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

siggy2021 posted:

Must have been one hell of a bucket.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

hooman posted:

Must have been one hell of a bucket.

The best part is those were two back to back legendary items, and the next one I got was a copper helmet with a picture of the ring engraved in it. I don't know if that's normal, it's been a while since I've played.

It's working out really well, because I'm planning on making a one-shot adventure for D&D based around a DF run, so having a bucket, a ring with the image of the bucket, and a helmet with the image of a ring is perfect for some kind of insane magic item puzzle.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

siggy2021 posted:

The best part is those were two back to back legendary items, and the next one I got was a copper helmet with a picture of the ring engraved in it. I don't know if that's normal, it's been a while since I've played.

It's working out really well, because I'm planning on making a one-shot adventure for D&D based around a DF run, so having a bucket, a ring with the image of the bucket, and a helmet with the image of a ring is perfect for some kind of insane magic item puzzle.

The ~*bucket*~ has a picture of a copper =+helm+= engraved on it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I was playing around in the arena. I spawned an ogre and a goblin, and had the ogre attempt to throw the goblin into magma.

The goblin skipped across the loving magma, onto solid ground, and had no burns or melting visible.

This god drat game. :psydwarf:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I was playing around in the arena. I spawned an ogre and a goblin, and had the ogre attempt to throw the goblin into magma.

The goblin skipped across the loving magma, onto solid ground, and had no burns or melting visible.

This god drat game. :psydwarf:

Y'know, this is a thing I love about DF. The stories. And of those stories, that's right up there with the sadly unseen "Now that animals no longer carry weapons." I would have loved to have seen it, and the look on your face when you realised what happened. :D

Man, between the DF update talk and the Ultima Ratio Regum talk (Next update is October/November, and it will have NPCs with procedurally generated faces and (some) conversation, among other interesting things), I get the feeling this is going to be one hell of a season. I was excited about this month, but now... October's starting to look like the biggest month for me this year.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

STEPTEMEPTEBMEBMER RPPERORT

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: Toady One and I were out at PAX Prime a couple days ago and meet a bunch of crazy dwarves that really knew how to have a good time! I wish I could personally thank all the generous people that keep this project going. We are getting close to a release although it would almost certainly jinx it to be more specific. It's only because of our dedication to perfection that it takes so long.

Congratulations to the generous!

:)

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out last month. PayPal came surging back this time, even with Patreon, so we had a very good showing all around. I'm going to continue plugging away at our list of issues... we're at that uncomfortable point now where there is an amorphous pile of outstanding matter, the game is unplayable until that's handled, and we just need to make it good to go while describing bugs that educate and amuse.

Aug: $6331.06
Jul: $4881.87

Also, the FOTF/Q&A thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JamieTheD posted:

Y'know, this is a thing I love about DF. The stories. And of those stories, that's right up there with the sadly unseen "Now that animals no longer carry weapons." I would have loved to have seen it, and the look on your face when you realised what happened. :D

I didn't even have to realize what happened, because there's a message for it.

I reproduced the skipping effect and took a screencap:

Toady is an insane person.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So that is skipping as in "skipping a stone" not skipping as in between walking and running?

How did he implement that? Modeling surface tension on liquids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The scenario came up during the minecart mania.