Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sigma X posted:

Mine's in the shop today, first time! They're supposed to fix the awful panel gaps, the rev hang when skip-shifting, and the alignment. Didn't even offer me a rental car; keeping it classy, Ford.

Welcome to the ford ownership experience.

Loaner is dealer discretion. Mine does loaners If you bought the car from them otherwise you're on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just a note, but the Soundaktor(tm) sucks. Unplugged that crap over the weekend and now the car sounds like a real car again.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

veedubfreak posted:

Just a note, but the Soundaktor(tm) sucks. Unplugged that crap over the weekend and now the car sounds like a real car again.

How much throttle noise can you hear in the interior while accelerating now? I have a MK7 GTI and have been considering maybe unplugging the Soundaktor or using a VAGCOM to turn it off, but honestly I kind of like the noise and getting the audible response. I can definitely see the artificial nature being a turn off for other people though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Not a VW but I disabled the sound tube on my Fiesta ST and I could still hear the car. The sound from the sound tube is better though so I re-enabled it. When I get around to putting a more growly exhaust on I'll probably remove it again.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

lmao zebong posted:

How much throttle noise can you hear in the interior while accelerating now? I have a MK7 GTI and have been considering maybe unplugging the Soundaktor or using a VAGCOM to turn it off, but honestly I kind of like the noise and getting the audible response. I can definitely see the artificial nature being a turn off for other people though.

It sounds fine. But now it's actually the engine making noise and not the windshield vibrating my car.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

lmao zebong posted:

Unplugging it should be much easier (and far less risky) than digging around in VAGCOM. I was hesitant to unplug mine (also MKVII GTI), but I'm glad I did and I won't go back.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
If a guy (me) were looking for a hot hatch project between the years of 1982 and 1996 (mostly arbitrary years), what would be a good starting jalopy to turn into a daily? I've gotten some VW mechanic experience under my belt lately and have always liked the aesthetic of the MK2 GTIs. Haven't done any autocrossing and don't really plan to. I mean, yeah, if I want a MK2, I should just get one, but I'm wondering if folks here have any suggestions with which to broaden my searches.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

scuz posted:

If a guy (me) were looking for a hot hatch project between the years of 1982 and 1996 (mostly arbitrary years), what would be a good starting jalopy to turn into a daily? I've gotten some VW mechanic experience under my belt lately and have always liked the aesthetic of the MK2 GTIs. Haven't done any autocrossing and don't really plan to. I mean, yeah, if I want a MK2, I should just get one, but I'm wondering if folks here have any suggestions with which to broaden my searches.

My friend has a mk2 golf with a front and rear GTI subframe and a 1995 VR6 swap. It sounds heavenly, runs high 14s and handles extremely well.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TWSS posted:

My friend has a mk2 golf with a front and rear GTI subframe and a 1995 VR6 swap. It sounds heavenly, runs high 14s and handles extremely well.
:stare: That sounds awesome. I've only driven a few turbocharged cars and the lag really bothers me, so I've been leaning towards a NA engine like the VR6.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

scuz posted:

:stare: That sounds awesome. I've only driven a few turbocharged cars and the lag really bothers me, so I've been leaning towards a NA engine like the VR6.

My MKVII GTI is my first turbo car and I rather like the lag. At first you're going real fast and then BAM you're going REAL fast. I like it when it kicks in.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Please do not get a VR6 car.

However, 1.8Ts can be ridiculous for not a whole lot of money/input.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

Please do not get a VR6 car.

However, 1.8Ts can be ridiculous for not a whole lot of money/input.
Aww man, how come? I know the 1.8 is a blank canvas of tuning, but I was really hoping for the sound of 6 cylinders. Obviously it's just engine sound, but it's so fun.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Aww man, how come? I know the 1.8 is a blank canvas of tuning, but I was really hoping for the sound of 6 cylinders. Obviously it's just engine sound, but it's so fun.

The VR6 was designed to cram a 6-cyl engine in a space designed for a 4-cyl. There were some sacrifices made on the design of the top end of the engine to enable the ridiculously low V-angle, namely that the single cylinder head and camshafts makes things so crowded that the intake and exhaust flows like crap, and are really difficult to make better. I mean, you're talking about a 3.2L engine that made 225 HP in 2001 - the same time that the S54 was making 350 out of the same displacement and same number of cylinders. If you get a Mk4 Non-R32, you're looking at a max of 2.8L making a whopping 201HP/200 ft.-lbs with a 400 lb weight penalty over my Fiesta, which is pumping out similar figures (whereas the 1.8T is only 230 lbs heavier). With the VR6 engined-Golfs, there's a significant weight balance penalty, as well.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Counterpoint: a VR6 sounds way cooler than a 1.8t

Counter counterpoint: the VR6 has a few annoying "features".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

The VR6 was designed to cram a 6-cyl engine in a space designed for a 4-cyl. There were some sacrifices made on the design of the top end of the engine to enable the ridiculously low V-angle, namely that the single cylinder head and camshafts makes things so crowded that the intake and exhaust flows like crap, and are really difficult to make better. I mean, you're talking about a 3.2L engine that made 225 HP in 2001 - the same time that the S54 was making 350 out of the same displacement and same number of cylinders. If you get a Mk4 Non-R32, you're looking at a max of 2.8L making a whopping 201HP/200 ft.-lbs with a 400 lb weight penalty over my Fiesta, which is pumping out similar figures (whereas the 1.8T is only 230 lbs heavier). With the VR6 engined-Golfs, there's a significant weight balance penalty, as well.

The weight balance issue is one I've head before, but the exhaust flow junk is new to me. Ya COULD do some wacky stovepipe garbage, but we're talking daily driver, not youtube comedy reel. Thanks for the guidance, dude. My sister has a Passat W8, maybe I could yank that outta there! :downs:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

scuz posted:

Bear in mind that what TWSS described deffo crosses the line from casual project hot hatch to crazed VW enthusiast fixing poo poo all the time project

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So driving around with the engine set to sport mode is a bad idea. I barely got 25 mpg coming in to work this morning :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Bear in mind that what TWSS described deffo crosses the line from casual project hot hatch to crazed VW enthusiast fixing poo poo all the time project
VW enthusiast project is cool, but fixing poo poo all the time sounds dumb. I've also decided that I'm gonna pay off the ~$12k amount of credit card debt I have and then reward myself with an old Rabbit to fix up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scuz posted:

VW enthusiast project is cool, but fixing poo poo all the time sounds dumb. I've also decided that I'm gonna pay off the ~$12k amount of credit card debt I have and then reward myself with an old Rabbit to fix up.

Ya, that's probably a good idea. Credit card debt is the worst debt.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Credit card debt is the worst debt.

Funny way to say 'student loan' debt.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

I've got that, too. They're both awful, but credit card is worse in my case.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I should have mentioned the owner is a red seal technician who is still occasionally stumped by bizzare electrical issues, but he bought the entire car with the finished swap for 1000$ with a blown ringland. One piston and set of rings later it has done 40 k kms leaving a trail of blue smoke wherever it goes. What I'm saying is that if you don't have the knowledge or $$$$ it's a horrible idea.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Just wanted to report that the Kagu 3D Maxpider rubber floor mats for the focus are a pretty nice option other than Weathertech for custom fitted floor mats. The driver side mat goes up a fair distance on the dummy pedal, which is nice. The only thing I wish was better was that the floor anchor fit better, but still pretty good for ~$130.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Student loans aren't usually 20+% interest like credit cards. Although I wouldn't know as I paid for my college back before prices went out of control. Graduated 2001, my last semester was 2300 bucks books and tuition :) State college in the good old days.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
So, it took this long to get (nearly) everything fixed. They told me to go to hell in regards to the rev hang issue, "It's a feature not a bug", so that'll have to wait until I get a software flasher to fix. Front bumper was installed without adjustment from the factory, rear bumper was installed missing some pieces, and the alignment was "a bit off". I didn't investigate the stalling issue, as it's only happened at one fill-up. Shifting issues were corrected with the install of the Cobb RMM.

After having owned the car for near on a month now, the only thing I have to add to my additional observations is: The body panels are made really poorly/with poor QC. The leading and trailing edges of all four doors have slight deformations towards the centerline, like they metal stamping process was done without regards to mold release. Still fun to putt around in, but the entire "twice in to the dealership, we don't fix things we said were fixed, no loaner for you" thing has really soured me on Ford.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I wouldn't blame an entire brand for one dealer. And they are right, the rev hang is a feature.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

I wouldn't blame an entire brand for one dealer. And they are right, the rev hang is a feature.

It's not a feature in that all it does is increase my clutch wear. And Ford corporate has not yet returned my inquiries, so that kinda goes towards confirming the "Ford is fulfilling all my expectations as a lovely manufacturer" bias.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You sound like a blast to hang out with.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
The rev hang is just a quirk Ford put into the ST programming for whatever reason, I just drive mine around and have a good time worrying about other things that need worrying about.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DUDES my 20k$ Ford Fiesta doesn't have the fit and finish of my old Porsche what a piece of poo poo.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

iwentdoodie posted:

You sound like a blast to hang out with.

Sounds like a good fit for the stereotypical Porsche owner.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GutBomb posted:

Emissions requirement, actually.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ilkhan posted:

Have an explanation for that or is this forum/"tuner" speculation? I'm curious how using more fuel at a higher RPM emits less than cutting fuel entirely to let RPM drop. Unless they suck at turning fuel back on and it spikes lean or something during the transition.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

ilkhan posted:

My 8th gen civic si has this, but back then it was rumored to be a factory thing for shifting help? I dunno. I'm lazy, do you have a source or even a "they said"?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Larrymer posted:

Have an explanation for that or is this forum/"tuner" speculation? I'm curious how using more fuel at a higher RPM emits less than cutting fuel entirely to let RPM drop. Unless they suck at turning fuel back on and it spikes lean or something during the transition.

This crazy man is selling a product to defeat the rev hang but he does a great job of explaining why it's a thing. Essentially the answer is indeed emissions bullshit.

http://www.revhang.altervista.org

The worst part of this trend in ECU programming is that you don't even get the chance to hear that sweet leaned out popping noise on decel in a turbo car.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 1, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sigma X posted:

It's not a feature in that all it does is increase my clutch wear. And Ford corporate has not yet returned my inquiries, so that kinda goes towards confirming the "Ford is fulfilling all my expectations as a lovely manufacturer" bias.

I also went from a "lifetime" of European cars to a Ford hatchback and I agree with your observations (tho my dealer is ok-ish and give me loaners). I think they were going after our market demographic but underestimated how much of a drat we give about "fit" and not tolerating lazy halfass poo poo on a brand new mass-production car made in TYOOL 2015.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LeeMajors posted:

DUDES my 20k$ Ford Fiesta doesn't have the fit and finish of my old Porsche what a piece of poo poo.

Glad you're willing to settle for lovely quality in automotive manufacturing and service. That attitude is why we do have to put up with it.

That website has malware on it, so don't go to that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sigma X posted:

Glad you're willing to settle for lovely quality in automotive manufacturing and service. That attitude is why we do have to put up with it.

:spergin:

No, I have reasonable expectations about what I'd get from a 20k econobox.

Your life must be loving miserable.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sigma X posted:

I mean, it's just a fact of life that you get what you pay for. Of course a cheap hot hatch is going to be of worse quality than a luxury sports car.

This also applies (in general) to electronics, clothing, food, hookers, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Should have waited for the R or the RS.

What's the old addage?
fast
cheap
reliable

pick 2.