Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

maybe if we were looking at routers with very similar performance, but in this case the difference in speeds is so incredible that the small variances caused by the network aren't significant.

also its good for real world testing since who knows what else goog is doing inside that router in terms of dns or proxying or w/e else that you might not get in a closed test environment.

mishaq posted:

ok shagger :downs:

actually shaggar is extremely correct here. real world testing is the only number that matters

sniping page 0x100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every packet is inspected and ads are injected if possible.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

every packetstream is inspected and ads are injected personal information is extracted and sent to google if possible.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

and also ads are injected

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if ad injection is not possible the packet is sent to goog for examination so they can determine how to inject ads

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"everyone elses content, our ads" - goog

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

duTrieux. posted:

it's amazing to me that nobody at google foresaw that everybody would assume their router was mining everything for ad data

there's no official messaging on how to counter that assumption, even on the retail training side

hmmmmmmm i wonder why

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I like how there is only one LAN port. on a $200 router. i wonder if they cut it because they somehow managed to gently caress up gig-e switching.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

I like how there is only one LAN port. on a $200 router. i wonder if they cut it because they somehow managed to gently caress up gig-e switching.

theres just not enough surface area on this gigantic cylinder of a router to put a few more ethernet ports on it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

more gig-e ports means more packets to sniff per second which makes the router even slower.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i predicted this. the router is so slow because it's constantly compiling gentoo updates

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google antitrust problems spread to india

http://recode.net/2015/08/31/in-india-google-could-face-another-antitrust-case/

must be india trying to punish american tech companies - google apologist

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

it's amazing to me that nobody at google foresaw that everybody would assume their router was mining everything for ad data

there's no official messaging on how to counter that assumption, even on the retail training side

not only that but there doesn't seem to be a clear message about what this is or why it's good.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

some of google's internal practices (particularly with regards to how they work with contractors) make those of microsoft look like glittering mind-diamonds

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PleasureKevin posted:

not only that but there doesn't seem to be a clear message about what this is or why it's good.

I mean, does this surprise you in any way?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

google heard the rumors of a new apple tv thats combined with an Airport Extreme and Time Capsule and they had to get something out the door.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

google heard the rumors of a new apple tv thats combined with an Airport Extreme and Time Capsule and they had to get something out the door.

i'm pretty sure that rumour was my professional speculation in another thread?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DaNzA posted:

what the hell, how can it be so bad with a fast enough SoC and wifi chips? is their software really that bad or the extra processing power went to something else

Shifty Pony posted:

Shaggar posted:

tp-link is fine, its the goog that's poo poo

your garden variety consumer "router" is only usable because it does all the routing and switching in hardware, not on the control plane. under normal circumstances, data never passes through the cpu. those 1 GHz ARM chips can't actually move very much data. fast cpus with piss I/O and piss memory bandwidth

some moron at goog said "well we have a bunch of megahertz" and decided to try and do poo poo like it's an x86 linux box

lol 100% cpu usage and 20 mbps throughput

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
especially given that they use gentoo

what do you want to bet they did 100% of the software development on x86 boxes and then just figured "oh hey this marvell SoC is 1.5 GHz, it'll be fine"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had a $50 802.11n buffalo router and wi-fi always seemed kinda slow but i never really measured it, and then i upgraded from a 4mbps to a 100mbps internet connection and the speeds didnt seem to improve at all. turns out that piece of crap buffalo router was capping actual wi-fi transfer speeds at 2mbps no matter which settings i used. maybe google hired the project team from that router to make onhub

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fart simpson posted:

i had a $50 802.11n buffalo router and wi-fi always seemed kinda slow but i never really measured it, and then i upgraded from a 4mbps to a 100mbps internet connection and the speeds didnt seem to improve at all. turns out that piece of crap buffalo router was capping actual wi-fi transfer speeds at 2mbps no matter which settings i used. maybe google hired the project team from that router to make onhub

My old Comcast router's chipset capped wireless speeds at about 40 megabit to the outside world but could handle 150 megabit within the Lan. Since the original speed was ~33 megabit download this was invisible, but it got real annoying when the service got boosted to 120 down

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my guess is the brillo team made this as their like test device and they're like welp that was a lot of R&D, better ship something, hmm how about this dumb prototype?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

then when they try convince HTC to use brillo they can point to this and be like, see? a thing. :-)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Nintendo Kid posted:

My old Comcast router's chipset capped wireless speeds at about 40 megabit to the outside world but could handle 150 megabit within the Lan. Since the original speed was ~33 megabit download this was invisible, but it got real annoying when the service got boosted to 120 down

my verizon router capped the ethernet ports at 25mb despite me paying for 50. the wireless was only G too so i couldn't complain there, but putting it into passthru mode and putting a cheapo linksys as the router 'doubled' my speed

i guess what im saying here is gently caress verizon fios and gently caress this horrible earth that they're still leagues better than my only other option (kabletown).

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

someone should compare the OnHubris to the google fibre router to see if it's somehow gotten worse

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your garden variety consumer "router" is only usable because it does all the routing and switching in hardware, not on the control plane. under normal circumstances, data never passes through the cpu. those 1 GHz ARM chips can't actually move very much data. fast cpus with piss I/O and piss memory bandwidth

some moron at goog said "well we have a bunch of megahertz" and decided to try and do poo poo like it's an x86 linux box

lol 100% cpu usage and 20 mbps throughput

I found this out with Asus rt-ac66u. QOS disabled hardware routing and dropped throughout to 110mbit which was frustrating because I have gigabit fiber. turning it off and reenabling hardware routing sent speeds back up to... 240mbit down 900mbit up because I happen to have one of the lucky unknown number of rt-ac66u routers with a hardware routing glitch to which Asus says "lol gently caress you it is past the warranty period".

still better than using at&t's router because I can use opendns instead of having at&tdns sending me to woefully overloaded cdns for YouTube and the like. also lol it was faster in non hardware accelerated mode than the Google router.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I found this out with Asus rt-ac66u. QOS disabled hardware routing and dropped throughout to 110mbit which was frustrating because I have gigabit fiber. turning it off and reenabling hardware routing sent speeds back up to... 240mbit down 900mbit up because I happen to have one of the lucky unknown number of rt-ac66u routers with a hardware routing glitch to which Asus says "lol gently caress you it is past the warranty period".

still better than using at&t's router because I can use opendns instead of having at&tdns sending me to woefully overloaded cdns for YouTube and the like. also lol it was faster in non hardware accelerated mode than the Google router.

i have a question is it more correct to use a custom dns or something...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smythe posted:

i have a question is it more correct to use a custom dns or something...

Honestly you should use that dnsbench thing to see what servers work good for your network, then select the top like 2 that won't redirect if a site don't exist

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A for participation but C- for being kinda dumb and stupid

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

Honestly you should use that dnsbench thing to see what servers work good for your network, then select the top like 2 that won't redirect if a site don't exist

that's exactly what I did.

works great.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uuh ethernet switching gets done in hardware sure but like

hardware NAT? and i mean these shits usually run some form of linux?

idk i'm just a dumb retard but that doesn't sound right

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you don't use the finest latvian engineering for your home router

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
every single modemrouter combination is loving garbage.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

every single modemrouter combination is loving garbage.

:agreed:

if your wifi ap and router are not separate devices you done hosed up

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone put a new set of double a's in cremnob i want him fully charged on tuesday

:f5:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just attach a USB hub to your main macbook and plug USB hdds and Ethernet adapters into it and passthrough them into virtualbox where you run a router file server Linux

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ya same

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what happens today?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Smythe probes cremnob for the whole week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its here. the all new nest generation 3

The display is 40 percent larger than the previous Nest, with 25 percent more pixels. (Nest says the display is now up to 229 PPI.) With the new display, Nest is adding a "Farsight" feature to the thermostat, which turns the display on whenever it detects motion in a room and displays useful information. The Nest will display an analog clock, digital clock, or the current temperature; Nest says it can be read from "across the room." Previously, the Nest display would only turn on when someone was standing in front of it, but "Farsight" is an extension of this that covers the whole room.

• Locked thread