Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I agree they should inconvenience people who don't play the game the same way as me while also having no impact on my gameplay experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I am a story skipper :( I am not proud of my impatience. One day I will sit here and watch all the CSs...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Obscurity posted:

I am a story skipper :( I am not proud of my impatience. One day I will sit here and watch all the CSs...

You are only pardoned if you admit to not skipping Hildibrand.

(Just hit the Ultros questline in that series. How many more are there?)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I skipped most of his too :( I'm bad at life.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's a pretty good story. Compared to most video games it's a notch above, compared to most MMOs it's high literature. It's self-aware, the NPCs are actually fairly likable, and the narrative it delivers is impressively consistent with the world and art design. It crawls a little too far up it's own rear end trying to be cute with tangential fetchquests now and then, but even those tend to have some sort of worthwhile moment or two.

But you don't have to love it. :v: My comment was directed more towards those aforementioned grognards who brag about ignoring it like they're the alpha-nerdmonkey in the playground (which they are, except that's not actually a compliment). In things that actually matter, there are no really wrong choices you can make, so play and have fun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pretty sure theres just one more quest line after the Ultros arc, with one final the Trial boss fight.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Caring if someone doesn't pay attention to the story and wishing for things to force them to do so is no better than people who think everyone should pvp or raid or do whatever the gently caress. Ignoring how bizarre it is to get vexed over what people do in an online game in their own time, it is explicitly a game that tries to have something for everyone and it does that very well.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I skip a lot of the story and dialogue simply because it takes too long and I'm not interested in it beyond providing context for the raid content. A lot of the time I click on an NPC expecting some dialogue and fully intending on reading it, but then instead of talking immediately there's a slow camera pan and all the characters begin making some gesticulations before any text pops up and yeah by this point I've already hit escape it's over. I do pay attention to Hildibrand quests though.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The DRK questline may as well have been written by Dan Harmon and is super great

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I don't care if other people skip the story but I reserve the right to think that it's super weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people can and should play however they want but if you're actively bragging about not reading the story in a Final Fantasy game while playing a Final Fantasy game you're some kind of rear end in a top hat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

The DRK questline may as well have been written by Dan Harmon and is super great

I'm trying to remember if there were any pedophilia jokes but I can't remember right now :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

People are pulling aggro because you're shield bashing all of your TP away instead of flashing or doing your actual threat combos. Don't use it unless you actually need to stun something.
Or that stun will speed things up. I like to occasionally stun the last enemy of a pull when I'm fairly certain that it'll die within the stuns duration so I can start moving towards the next group to keep the dungeon going.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Had a Conjurer in Tam-tara who burned out on MP by spamming Medica and Protect.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt since it was his first time in the dungeon (despite being at least level 20?) but still...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How's the 50 to 60 DRK quest? Does it get better after 52?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Unguided posted:

How's the 50 to 60 DRK quest? Does it get better after 52?

It's kind of "eh" until 58 and 60 where it hits a high note and a pretty satisfying conclusion.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I just feel pressured to skip raid cutscenes because everyone else has seen them already and I don't want to be the only dude standing around :( that's all the story I skip, although the constant back-and-forth to the Scion HQ is starting to grate a little.

edit: especially when Minfilia could just use that magic cell phone she gave me, we're probably paying out the nose for magic cell phone service as it is!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

I just feel pressured to skip raid cutscenes because everyone else has seen them already and I don't want to be the only dude standing around :( that's all the story I skip, although the constant back-and-forth to the Scion HQ is starting to grate a little.

edit: especially when Minfilia could just use that magic cell phone she gave me, we're probably paying out the nose for magic cell phone service as it is!

watch your cutscenes, and if anyone tells you otherwise hit that report button

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

watch your cutscenes, and if anyone tells you otherwise hit that report button

Yeah, it's cut and clear harassment. Also, they can't boot you until well after you finish watching anyway :v:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Had a Conjurer in Tam-tara who burned out on MP by spamming Medica and Protect.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt since it was his first time in the dungeon (despite being at least level 20?) but still...

Sounds like a bot.

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
Couple of questions:

Considering switching my main from SCH to AST. How are people playing AST now after the patch? I saw someone in FC chat saying you shouldn't use Aspected Benefic while in nocturnal?

Been trying to get gud at SMN so I have a decent dps job, but so far my dps is not great. What's the usual rotation for these guys?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
AST's heals are on par with the other healer's now, have a shield almost as strong as galvanize, and their buffs are significantly stronger. IF they were 'subpar, but viable" before, they're definately worth it now. I should really level mine but I'm still working on my SCH/SMN for sweet sweet deathflare

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

sojakfa posted:

I saw someone in FC chat saying you shouldn't use Aspected Benefic while in nocturnal?

I don't know why they would say that so there's probably some context here not presented. It's not used as your go-to heal but it isn't used as one in Diurnal either. With the 130% shield it's now as efficient as Benefic 2, which is still less efficient than Benefic of course. 575 (250 + 325 shield) vs 650 potency but Aspected Benefic will always be instant regardless of whether or not you have a proc and the 325 isn't subject to overheal.

They could have meant you wouldn't use it with a SCH but you probably shouldn't be in Noct with a SCH anyway.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 1, 2015

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-...RD4MFP2WY097XZA

Amazon has the G13 for $40 right now. Its amazing for this game since you get full analog movement while still using keyboard hotkeys.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

I'm trying to remember if there were any pedophilia jokes but I can't remember right now :v:

I said Dan Harmon not Justin Roiland :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To be fair, given the standard for MMO storytelling is pretty abyssmal, I can't really fault anyone for reflexively wanting to skip story segments. It took me a while to break the habit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I was spoiled by just how much VO SWTOR had. It always feels weird when the game will transition between voiced and not voiced for what amounts to the same cutscene / story segment. I mean, I get why (so they don't have to have multiple VO lines for race/gender/etc.) - but it gets hard not glaze over from textbox after textbox. Also have to echo the constant back and forth to Scion HQ is kinda aggravating, and they should have put a warp crystal beside the place.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Oxyclean posted:

Also have to echo the constant back and forth to Scion HQ is kinda aggravating, and they should have put a warp crystal beside the place.

This is actually explained further into the post 50 story. However, the answer is a lore-based "because gently caress you, that's why" so it's still annoying!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The great big statue of Lolorito is explanation enough.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I think I was spoiled by just how much VO SWTOR had. It always feels weird when the game will transition between voiced and not voiced for what amounts to the same cutscene / story segment. I mean, I get why (so they don't have to have multiple VO lines for race/gender/etc.) - but it gets hard not glaze over from textbox after textbox. Also have to echo the constant back and forth to Scion HQ is kinda aggravating, and they should have put a warp crystal beside the place.

The waking sands aren't actually all that bad if you go via limsa lominsa to vesper bay by the arcanists guild. It's faster than going by the western thanalan aetheryte.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Everyone needs to hurry over and vote in the Hairstyle Design Contest.

Specifically, vote for Male Hair Entry 21. Only your last vote is counted so make sure you make it count for the right one! If you vote for a different style, consider un-liking and then re-liking 21, or maybe just delete your account to be safe. Vote 21!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

berenzen posted:

The waking sands aren't actually all that bad if you go via limsa lominsa to vesper bay by the arcanists guild. It's faster than going by the western thanalan aetheryte.

If you are playing in a console it'll take about as much

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

What about the female hair entry?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I said Dan Harmon not Justin Roiland :v:

"If thou wouldst defeateth the dreadwyrm Bahamut, thou must needs licketh mine bollocks." --Urianger

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Vadoc posted:

What about the female hair entry?

I have no crusade there, but I am partial to 21. 16 is also nice, but I dig side ponytails.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just finished the PLD level 60 quest, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I thought it was better than taint cleaning as a WHM.

I really want that sword at the end of the quest as a glamour though.

I'm a little annoyed I picked PLD as my tank to start. Right now for tanks, it feels WAR does the most damage (woo fun!), DRKs generate the most hate (your party will love you), and PLDs mitigate the most damage (yay I guess :geno: ). But the other classes still have mitigating factors too, and tempered will is only good in PVP or very specific fights like the demon wall bookcase in the library.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i went with #4 for the female one because the warrior of light showing up to fight a primal with bedhead is funny to me

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
Paladin has its small troubles right now sure but let's not be trash talking tempered will

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just did a LLDR with a WAR who seemed to have the Heavenscracker macroed to every single one of his abilities. Because of the way the models work it pretty much looked like he was tanking with the drat thing as his weapon. So festive! Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

14 or 21 for male, 4 for female.

Do we get afros either way?

• Locked thread