Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If you search a city on google.com (example search for Paris, France) you get the results and a nice "summary" of the city on the side. Is that summary available as part of an API does anyone know? I've found all sorts of Location API stuff, but nothing that hints at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

There was but they 'dumped' it into this thing, I guess. No, I don't know if that's going to be maintained, but my guess is not because lol Google.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So in your-all's opinion, what is the best technology to use to implement single-sign on on a site where we want to allow customers to integrate with our platform?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

revmoo posted:

So in your-all's opinion, what is the best technology to use to implement single-sign on on a site where we want to allow customers to integrate with our platform?

SSO is a quagmire and if you aren't careful you'll eventually end up doing something stupid like SAML.

What's your platform, and what does integration involve?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

McGlockenshire posted:

SSO is a quagmire and if you aren't careful you'll eventually end up doing something stupid like SAML.

What's your platform, and what does integration involve?

My boss wants me to do SAML. I looked at the spec and I was like

:wtf:

I can go with something else, just need to present something better. Since SAML looks like a bear for a client to implement it should be an easy sell for me to use something else.

The platform is a system we sell to clients for reporting, and most of our customers actually resell our service with a branded version. For SSO the process I'm thinking of is:

1. Create user on our platform, permissions are managed entirely on our end, we won't have to worry about them
2. Flag user as SSO-enabled, create token or something
3. User can now log-in from third-party app, using username and token or somethin

Obviously #3 is the big piece that needs to be figured out.

FORTUNATELY I already built an SSO integration for a client of ours in Africa and I knew I'd have to do a global SSO in the future so I already have a very clean class that I can harness, and all of the necessary database and UI stuff is ready, so I really just need to plug-in a technology on top.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

revmoo posted:

3. User can now log-in from third-party app, using username and token or somethin

Obviously #3 is the big piece that needs to be figured out.

That sounds like the ideal use case for OAuth 2, which issues tokens based on user credentials for API access by external applications.

RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#section-4.4

Google Apps' implementation has great docs that can be reused as an OAuth primer: https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I kind of had Oauth in the back of my head. I know it's pretty popular but I've never worked with it. Looks simple enough. Anyone else want to chime in with their thoughts?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I've only used OAuth2 once with signed tokens. It's different than what you're probably used to, but using them does seem more secure, and it does offer you a lot more control.

This article might be helpful? It's more about explaining tokens than OAuth however.

edit: oops sorry if i read correctly you already worked with them.

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 26, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I'm pretty familiar with implementing client and server-side authentication systems, just never used Oauth or Oauth2. I was chatting about it last night with a friend and I think I'm going to go w/ Oauth2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Side benefit is that it's becoming very industry standard for like API access and the like. Twitter and Google AdWords et al are all over that poo poo.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
OAuth2 is a way to allow a single user to use their credentials with you to authenticate them on any system that integrates with your OAuth2 service. This is differently, subtly, to what I would call SSO, which is a system that would allow you to log in once somewhere, and be issued a token that gives you access to any integrated site.

So it's the difference between literally being signed in everywhere once you log in once (SSO), vs. logging into each app separately but using the same credentials (OAuth2). It's a subtle difference, but in the stuff I've been researching for work it's been a critical difference, so it might be for you too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Wizard of Poz posted:

OAuth2 is a way to allow a single user to use their credentials with you to authenticate them on any system that integrates with your OAuth2 service. This is differently, subtly, to what I would call SSO, which is a system that would allow you to log in once somewhere, and be issued a token that gives you access to any integrated site.

So it's the difference between literally being signed in everywhere once you log in once (SSO), vs. logging into each app separately but using the same credentials (OAuth2). It's a subtle difference, but in the stuff I've been researching for work it's been a critical difference, so it might be for you too.

Right, well in this case a user would sign in once to their platform and authenticate fully, and then use that authorization to then jump into our system. So I guess it's not OUR Oauth2 they're authing with, but THEIRS. Seems like that fits our requirement...

Maybe not... idk I'm starting the project today so I guess I'll find out. I haven't fully researched this yet.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Curiosities and thoughts about Polymer:

Generally I'm wondering about any current problems with Polymer people are having, much to do with browser and device compatibility. I've been looking around for reviews and comments about Polymer, and most I can find are from last year. The thing they warn about is it's incompatibilities with legacy browsers. Polymer's FAQ warns about how it's incompatible with IE8. It looks like only about 30% of the 6.5% percent of people using IE are using version 8 which seems small enough to ignore.

It's almost 2016, and I think I can depend on that fading out a lot more within a year. On top of that my web application will have enterprise users, and a lot of time will be using an iPad with some work done on the side with whatever browser their using on their PC/Mac.

I'm very new to Polymer, and I've only been looking it after a couple of days after my boss pointed it out to me. I like the idea of having nice looking elements that can easily be implemented, possibly as widgets without worrying about Javascript cross-contamination using a shadow-DOM. Angular doesn't seem so necessary to me, as the backend tied to SQL databases won't be so complicated, and I want to use something I'm more familiar with.

Anyone familiar with Polymer care to give their thoughts and advice, plus things I should watch out for?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What are good places to find freelance work online? The freelance section of the OP is empty.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Reason posted:

What are good places to find freelance work online? The freelance section of the OP is empty.

I think that sums it up nicely. :rimshot:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Reason posted:

There's always poo poo on Craigslist in my area but it is generally "i need a website with e-commerce, tell me how much this costs and i will pay you to make it, thanks." with no further information so I guess try that

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

my bony fealty posted:

There's always poo poo on Craigslist in my area but it is generally "i need a website with e-commerce, tell me how much this costs and i will pay you to make it, thanks. and I will pay you $50"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Reason posted:

A lot of the online freelance sites are very mixed. You'll get a lot of people who think a better version of ebay should cost $100, and on the other side, thousands of offshore coders who just poo poo out thousands of cut and paste lines of code that will reinforce the beliefs that these things are cheap. It's a lot of stress just so you can code at $20/hour.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

A lot of the online freelance sites are very mixed. You'll get a lot of people who think a better version of ebay should cost $100, and on the other side, thousands of offshore coders who just poo poo out thousands of cut and paste lines of code that will reinforce the beliefs that these things are cheap. It's a lot of stress just so you can code at $20/hour.

So its not a good thing to do? I'm interested in it because I'm a stay at home dad looking to make money on the weekends/evenings and I have two skills, web development and serving legal papers and one of those things I can't do from home.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah. Securing online without any sort of word of mouth or anything is a great way to smash your rate down to the point where you need to constantly be working to eke out a living. Avoid if at all possible. Contract for local agencies. Go to meet-ups and get local contacts. Build up a reputation as someone who gets poo poo done and is worth the asking price. Charge for communication time during a project. There's so much I could post about for my last two years freelancing (largely because I couldn't get hired, and then once someone wanted to I had enough income to tell them to go jump.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Reason posted:

So its not a good thing to do? I'm interested in it because I'm a stay at home dad looking to make money on the weekends/evenings and I have two skills, web development and serving legal papers and one of those things I can't do from home.

If you are absolutely desperate for cash, or need SOME experience in software development, it may be worth your time. You are competing in a market with a lot of offshore providers who are also probably desperate for cash, and ignorant customers who expect the world for pennies. If you can get a junior dev position paying $20/hour, you'd be better off in pretty much every aspect. The social aspect is also important to evaluate. If I could do it just to pick up a few dollars solving problems, I would. But I don't want to spend a minute dealing with the types of people who end up posting work. I'd rather do manual labour than suffer them.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
yeah i tried finding freelance work online and any active site i found i was basically competing against indian dudes willing to do things for a lot less, and lots have a history of freelance work. it's difficult.

there are lots of meetups in my area though for coding. those are actually good for finding decent contacts?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Contract for local agencies. Go to meet-ups and get local contacts. Build up a reputation as someone who gets poo poo done and is worth the asking price. Charge for communication time during a project. There's so much I could post about for my last two years freelancing (largely because I couldn't get hired, and then once someone wanted to I had enough income to tell them to go jump.

As someone currently freelancing, so much this. Don't even try to use the freelance sites out there, they are a complete joke assuming you live in the first world.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

pepito sanchez posted:

there are lots of meetups in my area though for coding. those are actually good for finding decent contacts?

It has a lead time, but yes. You do need to have a way of demonstrating capability in some way, but once you do, if other people know it, someone is bound to get some overflow that you can tap into, a job their not suitable for or whatever. It only takes a few successes and then you've got yourself something to back you with.

Direct sales to clients is hard work, make your network work for you as much as possible, and if you don't have one, figure out how to get one. All that means is other people in the space know who you are and what you provide, but as I said, it has a lead time, could be half a year to a year before it's consistent enough, but that depends on the expectations, I was working up to full time contractor work. The main thing that bridged the gap for me was I was a stay at home dad for a while, then contracting at a low rate for an agency, and then I got enough work to ditch that.

Agency offered me a job but by then it was too late, the projects were regular enough to cover me, and I like being able to be the boss. I would say try and avoid relying on project volume of you can, because you'll need to do lots of sales work.

You need a step above that so you can charge a decent rate, with projects of decent size, and try to work out a maintenance contract after they're done (even with Wordpress jobs you should do this). 2-4 hours a month is cheap to keep the lights on, and makes it easy to deliver the extra feature requests without constant quibbling over fresh quotes, just estimate and roll it into the retainer.

Anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness. :) the final thing is don't compete on price because you're just making life hard for yourself. If you don't feel like you can charge a higher tier of pricing, get your competency to the point where you can, because there's too much competition below there. Canned themes, canned ecommerce, site builders, you can't compete with them so don't try.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
http://www.toptal.com/

Try this platform, they have a vetting process (for devs certainly, but I think for clients too) and you can get better quality gigs than odesk and alike. You set your own rate and type of work and get connected to clients via recruiters. I don't personally use the service, but I know several people who do (as developers) and they are quite satisfied with it.

I am sure they impart nice fees on the clients (probably much more than the likes of odesk) so you'll earn more by working directly for a client, but this saves you a lot of hassle in finding one.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I used to do pretty well on some of those freelancing sites. It's pretty easy to compete with all the cheap Indians - you just have to emphasise the communication thing. Some people want the cheapest option, but just as many want the friendly developer who can actually explain things to them.

But yeah finding local agencies to do work for is a better option.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I'm using bootstrap for the first time. So far everything is going really well. However I am trying to get a checkbox button group working but it just won't toggle. I am seriously scratching my head here.

If I throw the exact same code into jsfiddle is works fine, but if I do it in my project the buttons simply don't toggle. They appropriately style, they appropriately style when you mouse over them but when you click them their state does not change and they do not retain their "checked" styling.

The code I am using to test this is pulled straight from the bootstrap site:

code:
<div class="btn-group" data-toggle="buttons">
  <label class="btn btn-primary active">
    <input type="checkbox" autocomplete="off" checked> Checkbox 1 (pre-checked)
  </label>
  <label class="btn btn-primary">
    <input type="checkbox" autocomplete="off"> Checkbox 2
  </label>
  <label class="btn btn-primary">
    <input class="ttog" type="checkbox" autocomplete="off"> Checkbox 3
  </label>
</div>
Any ideas? For further weirdness I can use jquery to make them toggle by adding a class to teh labels and then doing

code:
 $(".labelClass").on("click",function () {
$(this).button("toggle");
});
But it seems like a hack because I know from testing in fiddle I shouldn't need to do this.

edit: Mother fucker it somehow seems to be typed to datatables.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 31, 2015

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
here you go:

http://jsfiddle.net/o2x23qeu/

i did take out the default checked though. i haven't styled in bootstrap in a while.
edit: poo poo you wanted checkboxes for a specific reason i see. let me try again.

e: is this what you wanted?
http://jsfiddle.net/o2x23qeu/1/

-_- okay i did exactly what you did. yeah i have no clue why it would work on jsfiddle and not your project.

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
you aren't loading bootstrap.js properly, or not calling button on all elements

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Biowarfare posted:

you aren't loading bootstrap.js properly, or not calling button on all elements

No it appears to be some sort of ridiculous conflict with datatables.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to control the distance the mouse scrolls the page?

I have a bunch of these rows:

And I'm wondering if it's possible to set a value somewhere that will make it possible for someone to scroll the mousewheel one click and have the page move just enough that they end up on the next row. The idea would be to minimize mouse movement, make it easy for someone to scroll down the page and immediately click to select successive AM's or PM's.

Off the top of my head I want to say it's not possible since I think how much the mousewheel scrolls is an OS-level setting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not only that, it probably varies a lot per device driver.

Also Macs don't do "clicks", the scroll gesture is smooth and detente-less. Personally I'm hoping that that style takes over, I can't stand big chunky jumps when scrolling.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah, there's JS libraries out there that can do that sort of thing, but what you'll find is that it kills context. Users need to be able to smoothly scroll so that they can stay focused to the point on the page they're at so they don't lose where they're at. By jumping from row to row you throw off the user's sense of where on the page they are. It's simply bad UX.

I'd look at possibly using hotkeys to paginate through sections, resetting the scroll position to be even with your elements upon firing. That way power users can quickly get to where they want, and regular users get a predictable web app.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

Karthe posted:

The idea would be to minimize mouse movement, make it easy for someone to scroll down the page and immediately click to select successive AM's or PM's.

Any reason you can't do this with keyboard navigation? Add some hot-key focus grabbers and let them jump elements with the arrows.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

v1nce posted:

Any reason you can't do this with keyboard navigation? Add some hot-key focus grabbers and let them jump elements with the arrows.

You could do this, as you can calculate the exact scroll position you would jump to. It would also make more UX sense, in keeping with what revmoo said. This way, you'd only be changing the behavior of the up/down keys when on that window, which is much less jarring and doesn't violate nearly as many expectations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ideally you'd want to animate a scrolling transition between the stop points even if you do keyboard navigation, because otherwise (as revmoo said) it's way too easy to lose your context, and instead all the rows will just instantly swap content and you won't be able to tell the page scrolled at all.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
I was thinking you literally just use the keyboard to switch element focus, and enter to toggle your option. The browser will scroll all by itself, and you just need a CSS :focus highlight on your controls.

Scrolling the window with one hand on the arrow key and another on the mouse going down-click-down-click-down-click doesn't seem any better to me than just using the already well established behaviour of exclusive keyboard navigation going down-enter-down-enter-down-enter.

Why muddy the UX with all this weird scroll control stuff?

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
There's also this new chunk of CSS available, which does what it sounds like:

code:
scroll-behavior:smooth;
Browser support varies, but it's no big deal if it fails, I think. I now apply it by default on the body and any other scrollable blocks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
anyone try this yet? https://github.com/OfficeDev/Office-UI-Fabric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Could I please get some help on making this image aligned vertically, and responsive? It also gets squished in the vertical if I reduce the window size. I've been trying for an hour now and I feel like there's some simple fix I'm missing.

http://tiny.cc/19sq2x