Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

I wish I had a video of this moment...

"I need the car"...

"Here I am "...

Chumbucket hits me with the car :stonklol:

This is a good game and I'm glad I bought it. It's like a post apocalyptic version of Shadow of Mordor, if this had the same Nemesis system it would be the best game ever.

Honestly, the game would've benefited so much from a Nemesis system built around both character and car. Perfect world for it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
How do I refuel a hot air balloon?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So it's commonly agreed that any negative reviews are :mediocre: and the game itself is :perfect:?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I uploaded 5 minutes of video showing an early game, completely spontaneous attack on a camp. Was driving past, the sniper tower spotted me and eh why not. Features me being bad and then good with jerry cans, and also has the War Crier dialogue that I mentioned earlier.

Seriously, this game is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_b2GoRzcAk

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JFC posted:

How do I refuel a hot air balloon?

Use a gas can on the fuel tank which is attached to the basket.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The people in charge of the sound design for this game deserve a medal and a standing ovation because it's just so loving crunchy and solid. Fighting multiple cars feels legitimately hair-raising because of it, you really get the sense that these are big hefty vehicles causing serious damage to each other.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Parkingtigers posted:

So I'm driving out to test my new sniper rifle, spot an enemy car with a heavy ramming bar. He's alone and turns tail and drives off. I completely forget what mission I'm on and take off after him. My harpoon pulls his doors off, but I can't snag the driver yet. For 5 minutes, drum soundtrack urging me on, I'm boosting and chasing after this bugger. I see a group of nomad water refugees for the first time, two of them got run over by the car I'm chasing. I don't have time to stop for the survivor. Finally smash this car to pieces just before it reached the safety of a convoy, which thankfully didn't engage me as I was almost on fire.

This is literally how my first meeting with water refugees went as well, except we were in a minefield. One of the cars pursuing me exploded while I was latched onto it, the wreck went flying and all two of the three nomads died horrible deaths. I felt awful, since I was knocked astray and flattened the third nomad.

It's a really good game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Songbearer posted:

The people in charge of the sound design for this game deserve a medal and a standing ovation because it's just so loving crunchy and solid. Fighting multiple cars feels legitimately hair-raising because of it, you really get the sense that these are big hefty vehicles causing serious damage to each other.

drat straight. Been playing the whole game with my big headphones. The melee attacks sound so meaty and solid, the wind whistling in over the dunes, the pop pop pop of a cooling engine when you get out...

The Iron Rose posted:

This is literally how my first meeting with water refugees went as well, except we were in a minefield. One of the cars pursuing me exploded while I was latched onto it, the wreck went flying and all two of the three nomads died horrible deaths. I felt awful, since I was knocked astray and flattened the third nomad.

It's a really good game.

:allears: We're going to hear hundreds of stories like this. That's magical.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 1, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

It's a really good game.

I ran into them. Literally, I ran them over by accident.

Then I shot the third by accident when I hit middle mouse button. I'm an utterly terrible road warrior.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Just stopped by to say that this is a good game and is currently making me not want to play MGSV because I would rather harpoon fuckers straight out of their car, drag them for a couple hundred feet then fling them into their oncoming friends.

10/10 would 'poon again

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't want to play MGSV because I've never played any of the others and the story sounds insanely stupid coming from a completely outside viewpoint. Like the actual gameplay looks rad, but the story just sounds totally insane and that puts me off it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I keep trying to do a mission but then some NPCs attack me and I have to steal their car and bring it back to the stronghold. :allears:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gets a Recommended by Eurogamer.

Most of my working day is being spent deciding over this and MGS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't want to play MGSV because I've never played any of the others and the story sounds insanely stupid coming from a completely outside viewpoint. Like the actual gameplay looks rad, but the story just sounds totally insane and that puts me off it.

A Good Mad Max Post.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I climbed up on a roof to get some scrap, got hit by a gust of wind (it may have been a tornado) and went cartwheeling off the roof and faceplanted into the ground. I ain't even mad, it was hilarious. Also loved that when I accidentally jumped from slightly too high a height, I didn't take any damage but Max stops for a few moments kind of bow legged, and then kind of hobbles along for a few feet before getting back to normal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looks like the mixed reviews are enough to gauge that "you like it or you don't." pretty funny the worst review came from a site that gave arkham knight 10/10 and wrote the most sparse and worthless piece ever. I had ordered dis and MGSV so when I'm ready to pause the stealth game I can roll right into explosive madness game

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's weird seeing all those mixed reviews and then you look at the steam store page and see "Overwhelmingly Positive: 97% of the 619 user reviews are positive".

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Inbuilt snapshot thing is amazing. Game is amazing.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Brick Shipment posted:

He pronounced it wrong and used it in the wrong context though :argh:

Christ, this. Ruining my immersion as an Aussie. :australia:

Something cool I found, I was fighting two cars, yanked the driver out of one with the harpoon, then damaged the other to the point where the driver bailed. He ran over to the first car and drove off as fast as he could. :allears:

Also this.

Apparently eating delicious maggots gets you an achievement.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm so upset. My wife and I stayed up until midnight to try this game, but the stupid pre-loading thing was running nightmarishly slowly, so we ended up leaving it to finish while we went to sleep. Now I'm going to spend the whole workday distracted by how badly I want to go home and smash cars into other cars.

The Iron Rose posted:

The storyline of every MGS game is absolutely ratfuck insane. Sometimes that's to the game's detriment, and sometimes the sheer lunacy of the story gives the whole thing this kind of nutcase X-Filesy vibe that actually manages to add to the experience. MGS3 is a good example of this - one of the first major bosses is a man made of bees, and one of the climactic battles sees you fighting a sadistic Soviet lightning god who melts his own shirt off in the process of punching through the armour plating of a nuclear-capable robotank so he can rip its wires out and control it like a maniac puppeteer gone mad with power. It's exactly as insane as it sounds, in the best possible way.

Needless to say, given the affable hunchback sidekick and the utterly ridiculous names of some of the enemy bosses and factions, I have high hopes for the memorable insanity levels in Mad Max as well :allears:

e: oh god that picture :stonk: the thought of eating maggots makes me loving retch and I just know they animated Max doing it in horrifically loving detail

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Does Chumbucket sound like the Wizard People, Dear Reader guy to anyone else? Every time he talks I think he's gonna start telling me about siphoning the clarity of mankind's bulbs.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Merrill Grinch posted:

Does Chumbucket sound like the Wizard People, Dear Reader guy to anyone else? Every time he talks I think he's gonna start telling me about siphoning the clarity of mankind's bulbs.

He does reveal to you that you are a bullet wizard and the sniper rifle is your magic wand!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game owns

The way the intro cinematic feeds into the intro to the game is one of the best tricks I've seen in Game Storytelling ever

The way the game designers were able to clearly identify what people wanted (to gently caress poo poo up as max) and deliver it to them so cleanly identifies them as masters of their craft

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 1, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

So it's commonly agreed that any negative reviews are :mediocre: and the game itself is :perfect:?

Quite frankly, I think reviewers have overrated MGS 5 and underrated this game. And I'm a huge fan of MGS, I just feel MGS 5 is a bit of a disappointment.

But that's a rather controversial opinion.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only problem with Mad Max is how long the tutorial missions feel until the map is finally opened to you to explore. Other than learning how to mine dog, any other instruction seems kind of pointless.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Open world fatigue. If I'd played every Assassin's Creed since Brotherhood for a living, I'd probably be sick of the whole genre too. But luckily I haven't, and therefore Mad Max is loving awesome! :toot:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tunahead posted:

Open world fatigue. If I'd played every Assassin's Creed since Brotherhood for a living, I'd probably be sick of the whole genre too. But luckily I haven't, and therefore Mad Max is loving awesome! :toot:

This is also a game where you HAVE to love the idea of boucing around in the wasteland driving/customizing your car. If any potential player doesn't then there not going to have a good time. I do, so I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Songbearer posted:

Furnace best body

Wassup Furnace buddy. I chose it because the front end looks nasty as hell and Max had too much time in the Interceptor already anyway. Time for a change to slightly different equally stylish car.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tunahead posted:

not only that but to deliver a review in a strict time limit. i'm surprised that given the timespan and short leash people have for reviews now they can enjoy even playing a game at all.

how is the soundtrack to the game? not expecting Brothers In Arms level concertos here but I was hoping the score would evoke similar themes

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Chumbucket....why ? (he ran over a guy I just had given water to)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

Chumbucket....why ? (he ran over a guy I just had given water to)

The Magnum Opus was thirsty for blood.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BexGu posted:

This is also a game where you HAVE to love the idea of boucing around in the wasteland driving/customizing your car. If any potential player doesn't then there not going to have a good time. I do, so I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

Isn't how you unlock a lot of the customizations and other stuff the tedious part?

Like when I saw a video where the player had to go around pulling down identical towers to lower some global meter to get some car part, I knew this game wasn't what I was hoping for.

I love bumbling about open worlds but not when your interaction and progress is so stilted.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I love that the game recognizes PS4 controllers, gives you the right prompts, and transitions seamlessly between kbm and gamepad (much like Witcher 3). I like it when companies get this poo poo right.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
I played a little before work, but I felt like I had to finish the tutorial quests before I went totally off rail exploring. What little I played was awesome. Game looks good, feels good, and sounds amazing. Very pumped about getting home from work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I didn't get to play yet but can you swap car bodies later? Just might be nice for variety.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Like when I saw a video where the player had to go around pulling down identical towers to lower some global meter to get some car part, I knew this game wasn't what I was hoping for.
Literally anything you do reduces threat.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mokinokaro posted:

I didn't get to play yet but can you swap car bodies later? Just might be nice for variety.

There is a Car Body section in the customization menu with slots for every body type, so yeah. It appears that you have to pick your initial body to start off with, and then you can unlock the ones you didn't pick later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Ya, you can find new bodies that'll get added to your garage, and some races require a particular body style (they let you swap back to your cruising config at the end if you want).

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Picking a car body at the start was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make in a game. In the end I picked the hotrod looking body for some ZZ-Top Eliminator Death Metal Edition mayhem.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally anything you do reduces threat.

Not only that, the towers take one harpoon pull. You can see them from a distance, and just a quick detour on your way to wherever hit them with a quickshot and drag them down without even stopping. It's quick, fun, easy, and really not a chore.

• Locked thread