Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I tried this on my N6 a few weeks ago and it said that there was already a password so it wouldn't make me a new one. It was really fun having to do a reset in Recovery because it completely locked me out of my phone.

I was pretty surprised that it worked for me, to be honest. I would not want to test it a second time, though. I figure that if you do end up locking yourself out of your phone, it's at least worth a try before resorting to a recovery wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody use Slack? Is there some way to enable GIF playback?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Motorola's Camera app just updated to include QR/Barcode support. I think someone in here wanted that or assumed they already had it or something so BOOM there ya go

Either I'm doing something wrong or it's unsupported on the Moto Maxx. Definitely have the update installed. :shrug:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

isndl posted:

Either I'm doing something wrong or it's unsupported on the Moto Maxx. Definitely have the update installed. :shrug:

Did you get the little guide when you first launch the app?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kri kri posted:

Did you get the little guide when you first launch the app?

No, but I can pull up the guide by pulling the options out from the left and hitting the question mark at the top right. Nothing about scanning barcodes or QR codes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I listen to a lot of podcasts that include music. I normally listen to podcasts at 1.4x or whatever, but music sounds terrible at that speed. Has anyone found a podcast app that is able to detect when non-talking audio is playing and revert to 1x?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, apparently QuickPic was bought by a company that's best known for lovely apps like virus scanners and flashlights that request too much info. Sucks, as it's been my go-to gallery app for a few years now. After the most recent update, I'd been considering just switching over to the built in Gallery app anyway, so I guess this solidifies that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you have a link to more info? The app doesn't seem to be any different for me at the moment and I really like how it works.

Edit: especially the option to hide folders because of, um, "stuff" on my phone.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 30, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Do you have a link to more info? The app doesn't seem to be any different for me at the moment and I really like how it works.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/29/popular-photo-gallery-app-quickpic-has-been-bought-by-cheetah-mobile-and-users-are-pissed/

They haven't changed anything yet, except for the Developer section, but I doubt they'll leave it as is or make any changes people would see as positive.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

XIII posted:

Well, apparently QuickPic was bought by a company that's best known for lovely apps like virus scanners and flashlights that request too much info. Sucks, as it's been my go-to gallery app for a few years now. After the most recent update, I'd been considering just switching over to the built in Gallery app anyway, so I guess this solidifies that.

Why not grab the last version before the sale, and then don't update it?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Because I don't want to have to avoid updating an app for the foreseeable future. I'm going to keep it installed and see if they change anything. If/when they do, I'll just switch to the Moto Gallery (or maybe Piktures, which I messed with recently and liked).

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

what's a cool app for making edits like cropping to existing or recently taken images?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilifinicus posted:

what's a cool app for making edits like cropping to existing or recently taken images?

The Google Photos app. Snapspeed for more control.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Google Photos app. Snapspeed for more control.

Personally I think the Photos app editing suite is garbage despite being sort of based on Snapseed. The crop system makes to sense, you can't pick a specific aspect ratio and to crop in further you have to zoom which messes up your ratios if you fat finger it.

Snapseed is great though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilifinicus posted:

VSCO cam.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

ilifinicus posted:

And if you want to go over-kill and adjust levels etc as well, Photo Editor by dev.Macgyver works very nicely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

(or maybe Piktures, which I messed with recently and liked).

This is pretty nice, but it plays animated gifs sloooowly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I don't know if it's that, or if restarting my phone resets it. Maybe both? Either way, something to look out for. Good to know I'm not the only one either.

:hf:

Hmm, it may be restarting the phone. I don't recall having the Moto app update since my last post, but my phone ran out of battery this week and I just noticed the Moto Voice was picking up instead of Google Now. Annoying!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 30, 2015

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What am I doing wrong with pushbullet if texts aren't showing up on my tablet?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kerbtree posted:

What am I doing wrong with pushbullet if texts aren't showing up on my tablet?

There currently isn't a way of texting from a tablet

Mightytext can, and its the only thing I miss really after moving to PB for everything

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Is there an app which allows me to see two separate Google Tasks lists at once? I have a personal Google calendar on my home computer where I put my personal tasks, and I also have a work PC which has work tasks and a work calendar. I have Tasks, but it only shows my personal calendar and list of tasks. Is there a way for me to add my work tasks, too, or an app which would allow me to do so?

Pinball fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 31, 2015

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Skarsnik posted:

Mightytext can, and its the only thing I miss really after moving to PB for everything

Oh, well. Time to go buy tasker then, make my own private email2sms gateway.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Uthor posted:

Hmm, it may be restarting the phone. I don't recall having the Moto app update since my last post, but my phone ran out of battery this week and I just noticed the Moto Voice was picking up instead of Google Now. Annoying!

Yeah, it's definitely restarts that trigger it to turn on again. Might have been defaulted to on after whatever update introduced the bug too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

One of the reasons keeping me with Google Voice is texting from my number from any device any where.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

Snapseed is really good.

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009

Pinball posted:

Is there an app which allows me to see two separate Google Tasks lists at once? I have a personal Google calendar on my home computer where I put my personal tasks, and I also have a work PC which has work tasks and a work calendar. I have Tasks, but it only shows my personal calendar and list of tasks. Is there a way for me to add my work tasks, too, or an app which would allow me to do so?

Maybe try Google Keep. You can do lists and it can show multiples and you can pull it up via web at Google.com/keep with reminders.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kerbtree posted:

Oh, well. Time to go buy tasker then, make my own private email2sms gateway.
Or you could just use mighty text?

You can use them along side each other, just turn of notification mirroring in one of them

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Thermopyle posted:

One of the reasons keeping me with Google Voice is texting from my number from any device any where.

Yeah, Google Voice saved me in the time between my Note II death and the arrival of my Note 5 which was about a two week time span.

I didn't have a smartphone, but was able to keep up with texts thanks to GV.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

smilingokami posted:

Maybe try Google Keep. You can do lists and it can show multiples and you can pull it up via web at Google.com/keep with reminders.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Additionally, I'm having a problem with Pocket Casts. I've subscribed to a podcast with a considerable episode backlog, but even when I mark all episodes unplayed, I still don't see most of the backlog. Is there a way to fix this?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The feed is limiting how many podcasts are available, not Pocketcasts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I imagine the podcaster moved older episodes to archives.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pinball posted:

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Additionally, I'm having a problem with Pocket Casts. I've subscribed to a podcast with a considerable episode backlog, but even when I mark all episodes unplayed, I still don't see most of the backlog. Is there a way to fix this?

wolfbiker posted:

The feed is limiting how many podcasts are available, not Pocketcasts.

FAUXTON posted:

I imagine the podcaster moved older episodes to archives.

This is most likely what happened. Sucks, but a lot of podcasts do this when they go to a paid/subscription model. I think a lot of the Earwolf stuff (Comedy Bang Bang) is supposed to go this route soon.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
if you want to listen to the very first stuff the guy made you have to set the feed as "in order, starting with the oldest" in beyond pod

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is most likely what happened. Sucks, but a lot of podcasts do this when they go to a paid/subscription model. I think a lot of the Earwolf stuff (Comedy Bang Bang) is supposed to go this route soon.

A lot of the serial content podcasters do this on a per-series basis because it's not bad from a revenue/fairness standpoint. Basically one (or a couple/few) series on the feed at a time, prior ones available for a couple bucks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Supposedly Earwolf decided to hold off on the paywall for archives until the Howl Android app gets released, and you know that won't be anytime soon.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I'm looking for an app that will track my data consumption when I tether. As in, I turn on hotspot, press app button, tether with device, when done tethering look at app and see how much data I used. Any suggestions?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I'm looking for an app that will track my data consumption when I tether. As in, I turn on hotspot, press app button, tether with device, when done tethering look at app and see how much data I used. Any suggestions?

The Data Usage thing in Lollipop records data usage by tethering seperately.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Data Usage thing in Lollipop records data usage by tethering seperately.

True. But on my phone, I can only see the percentage of the whole amount of data used, not numbers specifically. I'm looking for something that will tell me specifics for a given tethered session (I.e. From 3:45pm to 4 pm you used 50mb while tethered).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Supposedly Earwolf decided to hold off on the paywall for archives until the Howl Android app gets released, and you know that won't be anytime soon.

Oh nice. I was wondering what happened when I went into PocketCasts yesterday and could still see/download every episode of CBB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cross-posting from the Android thread, have some rebranded Google apps!

Google Maps 9.14

Google Translate 4.3

Google App 5.2 (Jelly Bean)

Google App 5.2 (KitKat and above)

Google Chrome 45

EDIT: Actually, Google Now's UI has changed a bit too! It's kinda...more card-like (if that's even possible).

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread