Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

larchesdanrew posted:

God drat it.

At some point supervisor pulled a department out of the sales email group without telling me, so when I emailed out the instructions for the new FTP this department wasn't included and now they're all pissed at me since I apparently purposefully left them out.

So I set them up with internal access to the FTP so they can pull the files out that clients send in.

Now the passive-aggressive assholes in this department are emailing the rest of sales the internal IP and telling them it's the new FTP address that "engineering is refusing to tell people about" and now sales is EMAILING THE loving CLIENTS THE INTERNAL FTP ADDRESS.

I'm going home. gently caress everything about this.

This is what happens when you try to be nice and setup an easy solution that's different then what everyone else got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Honestly, this is all I've ever known in employment. You mean to tell me there are places where people just do their jobs, rather than sit around looking for reasons to be mad at any little innocuous thing? Because that's impossible.

Well, we do both at my job, although the pitchforks and torches are generally good humored and ultimately change very little.

No more M&Ms in the micro kitchens? Outrageous! :ssj:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Potato Salad posted:

I kind of want to ask what sort of business process archaeology requires you to use FTP for distribution/sharing, but I also kinda don't want to know.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to do away with the whole thing and just set up a google drive or something.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
SFTP for the anachronistic people.

AWS with Federated IAM + S3 with client instructions for everyone else. We're a newspaper and we've had decent success getting S3 to be the new "FTP". And with Versioning enabled you have a decent amount of security, we have our critical stuff be backed up to glacier and copied cross-region.

Temporary non-audit logs and incoming raw files get stored in reduced redundancy to save some shillings. anything on the Incoming raw media folder gets deleted via policy after 7 days.

The SFTP "endpoints" actually points to different S3 buckets/folders depending on the hostname, and use the federated IAM accounts from above.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Potato Salad posted:

I kind of want to ask what sort of business process archaeology requires you to use FTP for distribution/sharing, but I also kinda don't want to know.

Last I checked, Sony US and EU still requires it for game submissions.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ursine Asylum posted:

Hardly a role model, though.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

I told him to rename the file by adding the word "test" to the end of it and try to upload it again.

I come back from lunch and check the FTP log to see that he tried thirteen times to upload the original file without renaming it.

You realize that they just ignored half of your sentence, opened the file, added "test" to the end of the body/text and saved it under the same name it's had all along...right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dropbox for Business, OneDrive for Business, Box, Google Drive, etc plenty of cloud options. Plenty of on-premises options if you need greater security and control, though if you're using FTP at the moment I'm guessing your management is about as sophisticated and security-minded as a medium-rare hamburger.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ursine Asylum posted:

Last company i worked for, a fortune 500 that does primarily r&d, still uses it for all interactions with outside firms as well.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

John Big Booty posted:

Hardly a role model, though.

Goes without saying, but it's more

RFC2324 posted:

Last company i worked for, a fortune 500 that does primarily r&d, still uses it for all interactions with outside firms as well.

Good luck trying to convince any C-levels to move off it when big companies are still using it. "If it's good enough for them..." or, even worse, "We should switch off of ${Sane Program} and start using ${20-year old program} because I read that's what ${Fortune 500} uses in their Time interview!"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Everyone and anyone in the Media business. I - and the rest of the IT-people for %Second-Largest-TV-Broadcaster-in-the-Country% - have tried pushing for SFTP, but noooo. FTP is all anyone can and why don't you shut up and do your job so us super important camera people for b-list TV darlings can do our job?

Oddly enough, the more "important" people become the more chill them seem to get, and that goes for the regular production crews as well.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Crowley posted:

Everyone and anyone in the Media business. I - and the rest of the IT-people for %Second-Largest-TV-Broadcaster-in-the-Country% - have tried pushing for SFTP, but noooo. FTP is all anyone can and why don't you shut up and do your job so us super important camera people for b-list TV darlings can do our job?

Oddly enough, the more "important" people become the more chill them seem to get, and that goes for the regular production crews as well.

We're actively trying to push all of our clients towards Signiant, we've only got a few holdouts that don't use either Aspera/Faspex or signiant.

I still can't believe most of the playout gear, even our brand new channels still pull media in over ftp (gently caress you snell). It's 2015 ffs, is REST support that problematic?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Honestly, AWS sounds pretty good. For as little traffic as we get on our client FTP, the pricing looks phenomenal. I mean, we're looking at storing and transferring maybe 300gb of data a month, which S3 looks like it'll cost literally pennies. It looks like I can build a web portal for submissions, as well.

It seems like just the kind of project that would make my life more interesting, while making me seem pretty cool to management since "the cloud" is just buzz wordy enough for management to salivate over.

It'd also pave the way to move our media archives over to cloud storage in the future so I can finally have a bonfire for all these goddamned buffalo NASs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo is archived on consumer-grade storage devices?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

If not archived then definitely transferred. Just before I left that company we bought a bunch of new camera recorders. They all use standard SSDs for "swappable disks"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Hahahahahahaha, look at this guy.

Seriously though, every single storage device came from Office Depot. It's all Buffalos and MyBooks. No redundancy at all. In fact, our big central NAS that every department uses to back up their files was just a 4 drive buffalo that failed shortly after I started. Everyone lost everything. My supervisor's solution was to replace it with a single drive unit and tell everyone to start over.

It is absolutely the Bain of my existence. We have, at last count, 23 consumer level NAS devices in circulation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Seriously though, every single storage device came from Office Depot. It's all Buffalos and MyBooks. No redundancy at all. In fact, our big central NAS that every department uses to back up their files was just a 4 drive buffalo that failed shortly after I started. Everyone lost everything. My supervisor's solution was to replace it with a single drive unit and tell everyone to start over.

It is absolutely the Bain of my existence. We have, at last count, 23 consumer level NAS devices in circulation.

Didn't you *just* get Office 365?

Migrate everyone over the 1TB storage on OneDrive that comes with each account. If you need more, I'm sure it's not too expensive. Or Box, Dropbox, or even AWS (which looks like best in breed for network drives and virtual tape drives).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Didn't you *just* get Office 365?

Migrate everyone over the 1TB storage on OneDrive that comes with each account. If you need more, I'm sure it's not too expensive. Or Box, Dropbox, or even AWS (which looks like best in breed for network drives and virtual tape drives).

It's up to you to drag them kicking and screaming through decades of technological advancement.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Migrating from FTP to an S3 bucket sounds pretty sweet. I gotta look at that. We're still using WS_FTP server.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Holy gently caress. Explaining remote desktop/terminal services to someone who has never seen that before is loving difficult.
Particularly if they can't tell their own desktop from a completely different one. Even more so, when they can't recognize any icons.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy gently caress. Explaining remote desktop/terminal services to someone who has never seen that before is loving difficult.
Particularly if they can't tell their own desktop from a completely different one. Even more so, when they can't recognize any icons.

Even more so when they've never seen a computer

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is me pretty much every day. People who use remote desktop along with their own computer can't tell the difference. People using thin clients think everything runs on the little box, so they're always hard-rebooting them when something goes wrong and requesting a new computer because "mine is running slow".

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Migrating from FTP to an S3 bucket sounds pretty sweet. I gotta look at that. We're still using WS_FTP server.

Don't ask me how the magical SFTP that does the whole seamless IAM bucketing works because I didn't work on it, I do know it's some magical PAM scripting using pam-python-iam.

A few common FTP clients have S3 buckets built in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

deimos posted:

SFTP for the anachronistic people.

AWS with Federated IAM + S3 with client instructions for everyone else. We're a newspaper and we've had decent success getting S3 to be the new "FTP". And with Versioning enabled you have a decent amount of security, we have our critical stuff be backed up to glacier and copied cross-region.

Temporary non-audit logs and incoming raw files get stored in reduced redundancy to save some shillings. anything on the Incoming raw media folder gets deleted via policy after 7 days.

The SFTP "endpoints" actually points to different S3 buckets/folders depending on the hostname, and use the federated IAM accounts from above.

As an AWS TAM, this post made me really, really happy. You, sir, Get It.

deimos posted:

Don't ask me how the magical SFTP that does the whole seamless IAM bucketing works because I didn't work on it, I do know it's some magical PAM scripting using pam-python-iam.

A few common FTP clients have S3 buckets built in.

And don't forget that Firefox has the S3 Fox extension, allowing you to use Firefox as an S3 bucket explorer.
http://www.s3fox.net

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

larchesdanrew posted:

Honestly, this is all I've ever known in employment. You mean to tell me there are places where people just do their jobs, rather than sit around looking for reasons to be mad at any little innocuous thing? Because that's impossible.
There are places like that because I have been at one for 2.5 years now.

- Smart, compassionate management that always has my back ("If The Macaroni says it's gonna be this way, then that's how it's gonna be.")
- A team of helpful, dedicated co-workers
- Authority to enforce my policies
- The resources I need to do my job
- Users who value my assistance and treat me with respect

Hang in there. This was absolutely not my experience prior to this job, but there is hope.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Crowley posted:

Is all this FTP stuff outward-facing? Did the Sony hack not put the fear of God into your bosses? I'm working for a new client whose security protocols would make Marvel Studios ask "how the gently caress are we supposed to get any work done?" (Marvel is known for having the most retarded of all security protocols)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Try explaining how to use this AND using VPN for a client in a remote office. After providing documents, explaining over the phone, and using the smallest words possible to get them to understand. THEN have their manager come back and say "we're not working remotely any more because the laptops we use NEVER WORK" yet when you try them, using the same instructions you sent to at least a dozen people, everything magically works like it should and the manager gets flustered while the user says "oh that's easy enough!" and actually understands things.

That's the client we're cutting ties with as of the end of this month. It's always this one, single manager who ends up being a point of failure for everything and blames us or the computer for her own stupidity. I'm literally still trying to fix a user account issue from last Thursday with her and another person on site, yet neither she or the affected person will call or email me back. The account in question that person is having trouble with is one they log into for another business, so we don't even control that ID/password at all, yet she and the manager insist it's a PC problem rather than calling up the support desk for the other business to get the password changed. Oh, and they don't want to update the password because they don't want to have to remember something different, even if it's one or two characters difference.

Can't wait until their off our plate and someone else can deal with their level of mental disability, no amount of coaching, politeness, patience or knowledge will ever please these people or sink into their thick skulls.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Is all this FTP stuff outward-facing? Did the Sony hack not put the fear of God into your bosses? I'm working for a new client whose security protocols would make Marvel Studios ask "how the gently caress are we supposed to get any work done?" (Marvel is known for having the most retarded of all security protocols)
I'm sure the Sony hack wasn't even considered by anyone in the organization beyond those who had to read about it on camera. The size and scale of Sony's operations are so far beyond that of a local news station in Mississippi that it's barely a comparison worth making.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ozz81 posted:

Try explaining how to use this AND using VPN for a client in a remote office.

This is exactly what I was trying to do.

After I got it all figured out I found out she had the exact same problem YESTERDAY.
Why is it that when it comes to computers, a lot of people have the memory of a goldfish?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Trying to move a professor's files (entire life's work) from a pair of external hard drives to OneDrive because it would be kind of nice for it to be backed up somewhere other than the other hard drive in his laptop bag that frequently travels with him internationally, on boats, etc. OneDrive sync failed because most of his 560,000 files are over the 254 character limit due to his Byzantine directory structure and naming convention, and most of it is duplicate files because every year he makes a copy the previous year's folder with everything in it duplicated even though the vast majority remains untouched

We tried moving everything to our university's internal enterprise file storage and setting it up for access from anywhere, and we get emails like "THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION!" with the body being a rant about how slow access is from off campus demanding to move it all back to the portable drives. We tell him to run a speed test, and when he finally gets around to it he does it from on campus.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

I'm sure the Sony hack wasn't even considered by anyone in the organization beyond those who had to read about it on camera. The size and scale of Sony's operations are so far beyond that of a local news station in Mississippi that it's barely a comparison worth making.

Exactly. I know I bitch a lot, but at the end of the day I still work for a little television station in buttfuck Mississippi. In my wildest dreams I couldn't hope to have an infrastructure even slightly resembling what some of you are used to.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Migrate everyone over the 1TB storage on OneDrive that comes with each account.

1 TB will store around 2 hours of uncompressed footage in HD. TV stations use storage at insane rates, and it's even worse if you have users making cinema-quality movies. :cry:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GWBBQ posted:

We tell him to run a speed test, and when he finally gets around to it he does it from on campus.

Speed seems fine, ticket closed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My former CBS affiliate of a client stored all their poo poo on portable drives because they too had a chief engineer born during the Revolutionary War and a revolving door of IT helpers.

Thank God they aren't my problem any longer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
User getting ominous web popups and is too dumb to stop going to the website that produces it. What's he doing? Checking out Donald Trump websites because he wants to vote for him for President. He also mentioned he goes to shady sites to download movies and TV shows when he's traveling.

I admonished him to stop being a shithead with the company equipment.

Scanned his PC and it came up clean but I took the opportunity to remove his local admin rights and uninstall Flash and Java.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

User getting ominous web popups and is too dumb to stop going to the website that produces it. What's he doing? Checking out Donald "Somebody's doing the raping" Trump websites because he wants to vote for him for President.

The Trump plugin is almost as good as Cloud2Butt.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oooh what's it's called? That might be fun to GPO out.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Oooh what's it's called? That might be fun to GPO out.

It's called "The Trumpweb".

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Exactly. I know I bitch a lot, but at the end of the day I still work for a little television station in buttfuck Mississippi. In my wildest dreams I couldn't hope to have an infrastructure even slightly resembling what some of you are used to.

Then outsource it to a cloud provider. You're already doing it for Office 365, look into AWS/Azure/GCP to complement the deficiencies on your infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I keep this up I'm eventually going to just get gibberish everywhere.

I've got Cloud to Butt
Social Justice to Skeleton
Millennial to Snake People

And now a Trump filter.

• Locked thread