Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Do you guys think a team with this at RB is in trouble: JC, Spiller, Ivory, D. Freeman, Matt Jones in a .5 ppr or will that be enough to spell me if my other 3 positions are strong?

If you're strong at the other positions you should be ok if JC stays healthy of course. I actually really like Ivory this year. Spiller is a health risk but could have a decent year if used in the Sproles role in that offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
12 team 6passtd, .5 ppr, standard. Picked 12th & I've got:

QB: Luck
WR: ODB
WR: AJ80
RB: Justin Forsett
RB: Frank Gore
TE: Delanie Walker
Flex: Ameer Abdullah
D: Panthers
K: Crosby

BE: LG Blount
BE: Chris Ivory
BE: Matt Stafford
BE: Brandon Lafell
BE: Malcom Floyd

Question 1: Knile Davis is sitting on Waiver. Is it worth dropping somebody to pick up the Handcuff?
Question 2: 3 of my starters are on Indy. Should I try and trade one of (or both) Gore/AJ80?
Question 3: How strong/weak is my team?

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Question 1: Knile Davis is sitting on Waiver. Is it worth dropping somebody to pick up the Handcuff?
Question 2: 3 of my starters are on Indy. Should I try and trade one of (or both) Gore/AJ80?

Wrong thread and standard means 0 ppr.

I wouldn't hold Stafford if I had Luck. Also Rodgers Jordy and Lacy are on the same team and that worked out pretty well last season.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Do you guys think a team with this at RB is in trouble: JC, Spiller, Ivory, D. Freeman, Matt Jones in a .5 ppr or will that be enough to spell me if my other 3 positions are strong?

I think Ivory will end up being your RB2, where Spiller can be flexed in depending on matchups (like perhaps another high-powered offense or against a team with awful linebackers. That said, I prefer to roll with at least two volume RB2-type backs (like Ivory, Melvin, Yeldon, or Hyde) only because that position gets banged up a lot and volume makes for a good floor. When it comes to the ATL backfield, I feel like if you don't have both of them, you're coinflipping to see who rises to the top whereas if you had both, you hedged your bet there. I avoided ATL backs completely this season as I didn't want to pick the wrong guy.

In the end, all teams should have 1-2 weak spots if people drafted with their heads out of their asses, so that's expected and can be mitigated through in-season management.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

We have a separate thread for team-rating.

1: No, because he's not your handcuff. It's better to stash an upside guy with a shot at playing/overcoming his team's RB1 than to hope for a long-term injury.
2: No, you play the best players you've got. They won't sap from each other nearly as much as we rationalize they might. But do be mindful of the IND bye week and plan accordingly.
3: Enjoy your road to the playoffs. That said:
- drop Lafell and pick up a guy like Stevie Johnson, Eddie Royal, or Markus Wheaton. Trade Wheaton sometime before Week 5 to max his value.
- for a team that drafted as well as yours in a 12-teamer, you are curiously weak at TE. Wait for Blount to have a big game or for someone's QB to go down and offer Blount or Stafford for a TE. Hold onto Abdullah or Ivory if possible.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Somebody just dropped Breshad Perriman, and I have Devante Parker on my team. Do you think it's worth dropping one hurt rookie to try my luck with another?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

GNU Order posted:

Somebody just dropped Breshad Perriman, and I have Devante Parker on my team. Do you think it's worth dropping one hurt rookie to try my luck with another?

non-keeper redraft definitely drop Parker for Perriman. Keeper league you think about it harder (though I personally traded up to take Perriman over Parker in a dynasty rookie draft, I'm in the minority).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Parker has more talent; Perriman has a more clear path to getting a ton of targets. Both have struggled with injuries in the preseason. Both are bets on a late season breakout.

I'd prob lean Perriman in redraft and Parker in dynasty.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's the deal with Lafell? People are straight up dropping him now? I know he's hurt but it's not like he's gonna miss the whole season is he?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RCarr posted:

What's the deal with Lafell? People are straight up dropping him now? I know he's hurt but it's not like he's gonna miss the whole season is he?

Who the gently caress knows with Belichick.

All we know is that he's in a boot, isn't anywhere to be seen during practices, and if he's still on the PUP list in four days, he misses the first 6 weeks of the season. A lot of folks have been reading into the Reggie Wayne signing as an indication that he will miss that time, but I'm not so sure.

If he plays I like him as a WR3 with upside but holding him is a gamble. I personally would probably stick it out if I had shares right now with most teams unless I was really desperate for early bye-week WRs.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Duro posted:

So who will play RB for Buffalo?

Boobie Dixon, obviously.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

All we know is that he's in a boot, isn't anywhere to be seen during practices, and if he's still on the PUP list in four days, he misses the first 6 weeks of the season. A lot of folks have been reading into the Reggie Wayne signing as an indication that he will miss that time, but I'm not so sure.

If he plays I like him as a WR3 with upside but holding him is a gamble. I personally would probably stick it out if I had shares right now with most teams unless I was really desperate for early bye-week WRs.

And the Patriots continue signing WRs:

quote:

Patriots acquired WR/KR Jalen Saunders from the Saints in exchange for a conditional draft pick.

With RB/KR Marcus Murphy set to make the Saints, Saunders spot on the team was in serious question. Patriots undrafted rookie WR Chris Harper had been getting work as a returner this preseason, so this move could be bad news for his roster chances.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

Again, not sure if this signing is actually an indicator of where LaFell is at. Two things I know about Bill that give me reason hesitate concluding yet that this is about LaFell: he is obsessed with securing depth before he actually needs it, and he fuckin' loves special teams guys.

Or, it could be about LaFell. Who knows.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

I heard multiple reports that he was NOT in a walking boot, but who knows. I guess we will find out in 4 days.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Again, not sure if this signing is actually an indicator of where LaFell is at. Two things I know about Bill that give me reason hesitate concluding yet that this is about LaFell: he is obsessed with securing depth before he actually needs it, and he fuckin' loves special teams guys.

Or, it could be about LaFell. Who knows.

Agreed. I don't pretend to have a fly in that lockeroom, I'm just going on whatever scant, tangential information is available.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Suave Fedora posted:

Well that settles that. I liked Saunders, but Murphy was much more impressive this preseason.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Twitter posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

Source: Ex-#Bills RB Fred Jackson is flying to Seattle this morning to meet with #Seahawks. Both sides expect a deal gets done.

Guess Robert Turbin will be drop-able for us who drafted him in 16 team leagues.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I discussed my reasons for this briefly last season, and without getting into a ton of detail, I think it's useful for those of us interested in fantasy analytics to have not only historical stats but also historical projections. By the time I realized this last year I could only find one site with its complete weekly projections available (numberfire). Many sites were 90% complete but often, for example, a player out in week 17 (or whenever you're checking) won't show up at all in past weeks. In any case, I'm taking it upon myself to collect projections this year, both season-long and weekly projections. It's important to grab them at the time since there's no guarantee they will be accessible here.

I'm developing an add-on to nfldb with additional tables for projections. It's undocumented, the code is super sloppy, but if you're curious you can find it here (note: none of the data is provided, just the database setup and code to import data. The scrapers aren't completely interfaced yet, so far I've just loaded in the data I collected manually last season). I don't expect to have time to clean it up and make it properly tested, etc., for a while. If you're particularly interested I can help you out but otherwise my plan is to collect projections myself and then perhaps provide remote access to interested parties or maybe I'll just export csvs for people.

Long story short, the reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone has requests as to projections to start scraping before the season starts. So far on my list is really just fantasypros, numberfire, and 4for4 (I'm a subscriber, so I won't share current projections to non-members, and my scraping code will require credentials). Any other data I should be collecting? Maybe I can import beersheets manually but there's no website to scrape so that's actually a little tricky to automate.

I suppose on a similar note, I know some of you make projections. If there is any data you use that is hard to find in the past, I could add that to the database. Stuff like historical performances, weather, etc., is easy enough to find in the future. But if there's anything that could be useful that is no longer accessible after the fact I'd like to save it for posterity. Otherwise backtesting a model that relies on it would be impossible. For example, is there a source people use to automatically grab injury reports? Is it available for past weeks?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I discussed my reasons for this briefly last season, and without getting into a ton of detail, I think it's useful for those of us interested in fantasy analytics to have not only historical stats but also historical projections. By the time I realized this last year I could only find one site with its complete weekly projections available (numberfire). Many sites were 90% complete but often, for example, a player out in week 17 (or whenever you're checking) won't show up at all in past weeks. In any case, I'm taking it upon myself to collect projections this year, both season-long and weekly projections. It's important to grab them at the time since there's no guarantee they will be accessible here.

I'm developing an add-on to nfldb with additional tables for projections. It's undocumented, the code is super sloppy, but if you're curious you can find it here (note: none of the data is provided, just the database setup and code to import data. The scrapers aren't completely interfaced yet, so far I've just loaded in the data I collected manually last season). I don't expect to have time to clean it up and make it properly tested, etc., for a while. If you're particularly interested I can help you out but otherwise my plan is to collect projections myself and then perhaps provide remote access to interested parties or maybe I'll just export csvs for people.

Long story short, the reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone has requests as to projections to start scraping before the season starts. So far on my list is really just fantasypros, numberfire, and 4for4 (I'm a subscriber, so I won't share current projections to non-members, and my scraping code will require credentials). Any other data I should be collecting? Maybe I can import beersheets manually but there's no website to scrape so that's actually a little tricky to automate.

I suppose on a similar note, I know some of you make projections. If there is any data you use that is hard to find in the past, I could add that to the database. Stuff like historical performances, weather, etc., is easy enough to find in the future. But if there's anything that could be useful that is no longer accessible after the fact I'd like to save it for posterity. Otherwise backtesting a model that relies on it would be impossible. For example, is there a source people use to automatically grab injury reports? Is it available for past weeks?

You're a champ, SO.

Weekly vegas lines would be :krad: if there's a good source to scrape!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I think my league commish just informally offered to trade me Lynch for Ellington + Landry. I'm gonna give him a little bit to think that over because thats just straight robbery and others would likely veto anyway... ah preseason

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Varg posted:

I think my league commish just informally offered to trade me Lynch for Ellington + Landry. I'm gonna give him a little bit to think that over because thats just straight robbery and others would likely veto anyway... ah preseason

That is not what vetoes are for

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Varg posted:

We talk about this at least once a season, but this is a dumb bad league if people are vetoing trades for being "unfair".

Like, really dumb and bad.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
And, even though you're clearly getting the better player in Lynch. In a PPR, Landry is super valuable, and Ellington is not just a slouch throw in. It's a dumb trade, sure, but I wouldn't call it egregious. I've seen way worse trades.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

actually it seems we don't have a veto option enabled for people to use anymore.. good.. only the commish can cancel it... If he actually sends that offer to me then I'm going to accept it and see who calls him out for being dumb first. It's standard not ppr.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I allow myself one pubby league per year (to just stomp all over for fun), and the first thing that happened in the one I joined this year was Russel Wilson straight up for Dez.

To a team that already had Romo and Eli. It's a 1 QB league.

I will win anyways so I just laughed at how absurd that was

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm looking to drop dead weight and pick up another player, these are my options;

Carson Palmer(currently no backup QB)
Charles Sims(as a handcuff to Doug Martin)
David Cobb(handcuff to Bishop Sankey)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Is Sankey for sure the starter, or does Cobb have a chance?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sataere posted:

Is Sankey for sure the starter, or does Cobb have a chance?

Cobb is hurt and won't play the rest of the preseason, so it will be Spankey's job to lose.

HOWEVER, Dexter McCluster so,

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm looking to drop dead weight and pick up another player, these are my options;

Carson Palmer(currently no backup QB)
Charles Sims(as a handcuff to Doug Martin)
David Cobb(handcuff to Bishop Sankey)

I'm taking Palmer like he is a QB1 right now, at least in terms of valuation. I have a few teams with Fitzgerald + Palmer, and I think that is pretty good considering what we've seen in preseason thus far.

Sims and Cobb have no real value unless you're in a 12/14 team league.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I was leaning Palmer, but it's a 12-player league so they're one of the top available backs.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

For those of you waiting on Randall Cobb updates for week 1, it's worth noting that Green Bay has arguably the most conservative medical staff in the league. If it's questionable, they may err on the side of caution and hold him out.

He's still got a good shot to play, but just keep an eye on it and get your backup plans ready.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gyshall posted:

I'm taking Palmer like he is a QB1 right now, at least in terms of valuation. I have a few teams with Fitzgerald + Palmer, and I think that is pretty good considering what we've seen in preseason thus far.

Sims and Cobb have no real value unless you're in a 12/14 team league.

One of my leagues autodrafted. Already dropped LaFell for Stevie Johnson. Was wondering if I should pick up Reggie Bush for Cobb. That's a no brainer, right?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

One of my leagues autodrafted. Already dropped LaFell for Stevie Johnson. Was wondering if I should pick up Reggie Bush for Cobb. That's a no brainer, right?

If PPR, yes. If Standard, meh.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seems the Raiders dropped TRich. Put a fork in him. What a waste.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Any news on Kelce? I can't seem to find anything :ohdear:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

jabro posted:

Seems the Raiders dropped TRich. Put a fork in him. What a waste.

Somebody post all those glowing scouting reports and draft profiles so we can be tremendously insecure about our evaluations, TIA.

edit: I'll start - "He's better than Adrian Peterson"

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 1, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Prophecy120 posted:

I read (on here I think?) that it's just a rolled ankle and not a big deal.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Prophecy120 posted:

Last I heard this morning was 4-5 weeks or 5-6 weeks. I can't remember which. Just that a 5 was in there. So figure be back week 4 maybe. Sort of. Hopefully. Who knows.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

I assume you are talking about Julius Thomas and not Travis Kelce. God I hope at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

jabro posted:

Last I heard this morning was 4-5 weeks or 5-6 weeks. I can't remember which. Just that a 5 was in there. So figure be back week 4 maybe. Sort of. Hopefully. Who knows.

Are you confusing him with Julius Thomas?

• Locked thread