Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey nerds, our lord and saviour sir patrick stewart was on the latest nerdist podcast and it was great. I give it two Zaldan webs up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That keyboard looks gross as gently caress

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
original series is best because it didn't have a gigantic engine nacelle up its own rear end, it didn't bog down in excessive bullshit technobabble, and it didn't delight nearly so much in making the ship a loving deathtrap

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I wonder if anyone has been autistic enough to count the exact number of redshirts killed in each series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Geoff Zahn posted:

I wonder if anyone has been autistic enough to count the exact number of redshirts killed in each series.

you already know the answer to that

(the answer is 'yes')

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
how would kirk handle q

like picard

or sisko

or janeway :bigtran:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I bet ex Astris scientia has it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cry Havoc posted:

how would kirk handle q

like picard

or sisko

or janeway :bigtran:

Squire of Gothos

E: or like half the other episodes in season 1. It's not like TNG invented capricious god like energy beings

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Thanks wikiepdia:

In Star Trek, red-uniformed security officers and engineers who accompany the main characters on landing parties often suffer quick deaths.[2] The trope first appears in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (1966).[3] Of the 59 crew members killed in the series, 43 (73%) were wearing red shirts.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
No one ever mourns the 16 non red shirt wearing officers. Poor bastards.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
No excuse to die with a gold shirt on. Spock aint got no sympathy.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Germstore posted:

No excuse to die with a gold shirt on. Spock aint got no sympathy.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Selfie with the dead red shirt. #RIPredshirt #lolwhatwasthatguysname #yolounlessyourespock #duckface #GBS

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TOS through DS9 are awesome in their own ways, flawed in their own ways and the last two shows were the samey boring rehashes with occasional flashes of brilliance.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I finally went and watched Enterprise Season 4 and while I wouldnt call it great or anything, its pretty clear that if the show started like that it wouldve probably gotten the whole seven seasons and possibly even become great after another season or two. Like Voyager, just one big wasted opportunity

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I saw the pilot of Enterprise and decided immediately to forget the show existed.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
If every Dukat in six thousand Dukats were in six parts, and every part a Dukat, Bajor would be a paradise.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rynder posted:

If every Dukat in six thousand Dukats were in six parts, and every part a Dukat, Bajor would be a paradise.

As I was going to the Kai's,
I met Dukat with Bajoran wives,
Each wife had seven Glinns,
Each Glinn had seven Winns,
Each Winn had lat'num slips:
slips, Winns, Glinns, and wives,
How many were there going to the Kai's?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It is the official position of this thread that these two should have gotten together.

Imagine the incredible capacity for offspring obstinacy by combining a Prime Directive-obsessed Frenchman with a Plays-By-Her-Own-Rules Bajoran.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thirdly, the best part of TNG season 7 is the scientifically backed proof that Jason Vigo's mother was voracious raw-dogging woman that hung around ports-of-call waiting for sailors.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

shadow puppet of a posted:

It is the official position of this thread that these two should have gotten together.

Imagine the incredible capacity for offspring obstinacy by combining a Prime Directive-obsessed Frenchman with a Plays-By-Her-Own-Rules Bajoran.

Ro should have been a main character

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
didn't they downplay ro in tng because she was supposed to be kira in ds9 or something

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I am confused. What is the timeline here? I assumed that DS9 took place after TNG was finished, and its timeline goes further than TNGs what with the presence of Worf and O'Brien. Is this not the case? Bajor isn't even part of the Federation yet and I'm like, balls deep in Season 5.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I liked her when she was ice cold gay in BSG

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

DS9 begins somewhere around the Chain of Command two-parter and runs parallel to TNG (and later Voyager) from there. I guess there were Bajorans in Starfleet for quite a while before that because Starfleet goes through so many redshirts they'll take anyone with a pulse.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
With music royalties, you get 50% of the credit for the music and 50% of the credit for the lyrics. Sounds fair, you might think, for pop music, as the lyrics are quite important. Gene Roddenberry wrote a set of lovely lyrics for the original series theme just so he could claim that 50% of royalty money. The composer protested about having half his money stolen by Gene Roddenberry and Roddenberry said he had to make money from the music because it wouldn't be from the series. So the composer quit after a couple of episodes.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 1, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Delsaber posted:

DS9 begins somewhere around the Chain of Command two-parter and runs parallel to TNG (and later Voyager) from there. I guess there were Bajorans in Starfleet for quite a while before that because Starfleet goes through so many redshirts they'll take anyone with a pulse.

I'd say that doesn't make sense and only Federation citizens can join Starfleet but I guess that's not true, they let Nog in and Fereginor is definitely not part of the Federation. Worf kind of is an exception to the rule too, but I reckon that he was an "experiment" by Starfleet to see how well Klingons can be integrated.

I like how Nog is a lovely little gently caress-up kid but somehow in one possible future rises easily to the rank of Captain and doesn't age a single day.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Non-citizens of the federation can totally join Starfleet. Besides in Worfs case it seems likely that his parents would've gone through the proper hoops to get their son citizenship

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am confused. What is the timeline here? I assumed that DS9 took place after TNG was finished, and its timeline goes further than TNGs what with the presence of Worf and O'Brien. Is this not the case? Bajor isn't even part of the Federation yet and I'm like, balls deep in Season 5.

Bajor isn't a part of the Federation at this point, but anyone can join Starfleet regardless of citizenship apparently.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto posted:

Bajor isn't a part of the Federation at this point, but anyone can join Starfleet regardless of citizenship apparently.

Perhaps...service guarantees citizenship?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was about to say that it must make it really hard to deal with spies, but lol at the idea that Starfleet cares about security.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
when nog talks to sisko about joining sisko directly says that non-citizens can join starfleet but an officer has to write them a letter of recommendation

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I was about to say that it must make it really hard to deal with spies, but lol at the idea that Starfleet cares about security.

I got the impression from watching DS9 that they did all their top secret security debriefings at Quark's.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

BTW the US Military allows non-citizens to serve and France has a military branch made almost entirely of non-citizens. Its not that silly an idea.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Federation itself probably pumps out extensive anti-enlistment propaganda to prevent every asteroid-doomed world of weavers and sawyers from holding their hands aloft and asking to enlist in Starfleet.

Could you imagine an entire enlisted-Academy class of a million starving, prayer-frenzied Bajorans. All those earring-snagged uniforms, all the broken replicators from excess hasperat steam, all the discarded jumja stick sticks littering the hallways and classrooms. Having a Vedek flap their robes about propriety and prophecy every time you try to teach a class about methods of spaceflight that to not primarily rely on hand cranked cogs and wooden spars?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just finished DS9. It's good to see the wormhole open again

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Kira's role was originally going to go to Ro, but Michelle Forbes didn't want the part, so they made up Kira instead. Ro was great, but Kira's arc and growth from S1 to S7 is my favorite thing about DS9, so it's okay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought it was because they'd have to pay royalties to the dude who originally came up with Ro every time she appeared on DS9?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think every series had crazy last minute casting changes. TOS was going to have a woman first officer until the network nixed it, and there's test footage of the Voyager pilot with Janeway played by a french canadian woman who didn't want to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ro was ratings gold and the studio was willing to pay. She only declined the role because after reading through all 150 of the scripts ready for DS9's pre-production she realized that it would have been wrong for her character to gently caress a melted Jello casserole, having once had all that was.... this...

• Locked thread