Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

a fan just just gleeked into one of our dev's mouths while asking a question about the game.

what is to be done?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitting#Gleeking

He is lost now. There's like a hundred zombie movies that deal with this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maxmaps posted:

He is lost now. There's like a hundred zombie movies that deal with this scenario.

Kill him before he becomes Patient Zero :zombie:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

a fan just just gleeked into one of our dev's mouths while asking a question about the game.

what is to be done?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitting#Gleeking

Alcohol kills germs. It's time for a camelbak full of moonshine.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Sigma-X posted:

Alcohol kills germs. It's time for a camelbak full of moonshine.

Or as it's called at GDC, "Morning Coffee"

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

GetWellGamers posted:

Or as it's called at GDC, "Morning Coffee"
I figure it's like martinis. So long as vodka at some point sat next to some vermouth, it's a martini. So if your moonshine at any point in the morning saw some coffee, it's justifiably called "coffee."

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I wound up getting my internship extended by a month late last week after some good feedback, is that a decent sign or should I start looking harder at other places? I've been looking anyway since I can do night classes to finish my degree. I like working where I do now, but it'd also be nice to have health insurance and better pay.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

DaVideo posted:

I wound up getting my internship extended by a month late last week after some good feedback, is that a decent sign or should I start looking harder at other places? I've been looking anyway since I can do night classes to finish my degree. I like working where I do now, but it'd also be nice to have health insurance and better pay.

Generally speaking you should always be on the lookout for opportunities that fit what you want in terms of pay and such, especially if you're young and without baggage. However if you're still finishing your degree, you're actually too young to focus on pay. The most important thing you should focus on as an intern is to be working in your preferred area with a known company. This will pay off in the medium term after you graduate in ways that are much bigger than job hopping for short term intern pay. So I'd completely throw pay out of the equation and just go with the job that looks best on your resume.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DaVideo posted:

It is a good sign that they extended it, but that still doesn't mean they're going to hire you - the biggest thing about that is it's a great bullet point to put on your resume.

I turned a 6 month internship into a 3 month internship and then being hired, and you better believe I point out that I matriculated early on my resume. (Well, less important now that I'm further along in my career, but still)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Counterpoint: At the end of my 8 month co-op, I was offered a full time position, but I turned it down because I wanted to finish my degree. 2 years later, I graduated cum laude with a B.Eng, while the company that offered me the job no longer existed.

Of course, if your internship is at a company that's stable and is unlikely to shut down, that doesn't really apply, but I'd still focus on finishing the degree -- having an incomplete degree looks pretty bad when landing a first job, even though degrees stop mattering at all once you do have that first job and experience under your belt.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

endlosnull posted:

I'll be at PAX working the booth Sunday and Monday morning. Stop by the Harebrained Schemes booth on the 6th floor next to the Valve store and check out the game I'm working on, Necropolis. I'm the asian dude with glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmc8jlpvsEw

Love the style of this, it looks great.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Bicuspid posted:

Generally speaking you should always be on the lookout for opportunities that fit what you want in terms of pay and such, especially if you're young and without baggage. However if you're still finishing your degree, you're actually too young to focus on pay. The most important thing you should focus on as an intern is to be working in your preferred area with a known company. This will pay off in the medium term after you graduate in ways that are much bigger than job hopping for short term intern pay. So I'd completely throw pay out of the equation and just go with the job that looks best on your resume.

Well the degree is a master's in CS and I do have a couple years in non-games software, so I'm not quite that young. Point taken about the experience though, I get to work on gameplay/frontend stuff which is really interesting to me and the company is not obscure and reasonably well-off, so that'll probably help down the line. If they offered me a job it would be my first choice, it's just that I'm not sure how likely that is.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

DaVideo posted:

Well the degree is a master's in CS and I do have a couple years in non-games software, so I'm not quite that young. Point taken about the experience though, I get to work on gameplay/frontend stuff which is really interesting to me and the company is not obscure and reasonably well-off, so that'll probably help down the line. If they offered me a job it would be my first choice, it's just that I'm not sure how likely that is.

More Experience in games > Less Experience in games.
Completed Degree > Incomplete Degree.

Getting both done will be great for you and you'd probably be able to pick your studio. I'd almost recommend turning down a full time job offer after the six months so you can finish your degree, but that's really up to you. If they really like you, they'll be willing to wait and/or find a new spot for you once your degree's done, and you'll have the opportunity to get other offers in the meantime.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whether or not you turn down a job to finish a degree depends a lot on what company we're talking about. As was said, earlier in your career, experience is key, but a lack of a degree can be a really hard shortfall to correct later if something bad happens and you find yourself in a position where you really just need to have the piece of paper. I have friends who got opportunities for full-time gigs and Blizzard so they jumped out of school. Blizzard on your resume is a big deal as far as work experience and future employability goes. Then again, if this is some indie outfit that is less than a couple years old that no one's heard of, that experience carried much less weight and is easier to forgo.

On an unrelated note, who do I have to smooch around here to get access to the Star Wars Battlefront alpha/beta, huh?

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
If anyone's looking for an entry-level role in SF with some writing and some light design, I've got a spot opening up, full time, contract-to-hire.

It's not a cadillac dream job, but it's a foot in the door and people have leveraged it toward some cadillac dream jobs in the past. You can email me at davidbthorpe at gmail if you're curious.

edit: not QA

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I turned down a job at Gamers.com in 2000 in order to finish my degree.

If you know what Gamers.com is you're too old to be reading this thread.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Love the style of this, it looks great.

Thanks! A choice quote that I heard at PAX was, "This looks great but when are you guys going to put in textures?"

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I can understand wanting to continue with an internship instead of going back to school, I just had to leave mine to finish my senior year. If things work out well I'll be back there after graduation, but still, :negative:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I accepted an offer for a full-time position before I had graduated and ended up taking it. I got very lucky, and I would generally recommend that people finish their degrees first unless the offer is coming from an established studio with a record of quality work. In most cases, if you're working on a degree, and they offer you an internship or a full-time position, that offer will most likely still be there after you graduate.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Or you can be incredibly cool like me and finish school while you work :smug:

Of course you also have to be cool like me and gently caress up prerequisites, requiring you to come back for a fifth year of university for a grand total of 15 credits and 3 class hours a semester

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

hoodrow trillson posted:

If anyone's looking for an entry-level role in SF with some writing and some light design, I've got a spot opening up, full time, contract-to-hire.

It's not a cadillac dream job, but it's a foot in the door and people have leveraged it toward some cadillac dream jobs in the past. You can email me at davidbthorpe at gmail if you're curious.

edit: not QA

I have sent you an email!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Huh, that was a surprise. Had a programming test that I was incredibly confident in come back with a no (and a "we can't give feedback" notice. Any strong C coders willing to give my submission a look? I was honestly proud of what I turned in and can't believe I'm not getting a phone interview out of it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Huh, that was a surprise. Had a programming test that I was incredibly confident in come back with a no (and a "we can't give feedback" notice. Any strong C coders willing to give my submission a look? I was honestly proud of what I turned in and can't believe I'm not getting a phone interview out of it.

Sure. Send it over.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChickenWing posted:

Or you can be incredibly cool like me and finish school while you work :smug:

Of course you also have to be cool like me and gently caress up prerequisites, requiring you to come back for a fifth year of university for a grand total of 15 credits and 3 class hours a semester
This is also me. Except I was Extremely Cool and just dropped out of university the first time, and went back a second time. But I did work through the second time, and the latter half of that was my first gamedev job. :keke:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

theflyingorc posted:

I guess I can take a look and see what stands out to me

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

OH LOOK WORK I DID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2NTL_RoA8

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hughlander posted:

Sure. Send it over.

The Glumslinger posted:

I guess I can take a look and see what stands out to me

Thanks to both of you for the offer!

Turned out to be unnecessary - I sent them a "Huh, I thought my submission was pretty good, and chance you can tell me what's wrong with it?"

and they actually told me exactly what was wrong with it.

I had a small copy/paste error that caused the program to miss a specific edge case that wasn't part of my testing, but was part of theirs. I literally changed one line and it fixed it. I sent it back to them with a "Hey, if you wanna regrade this that would be cool, if not I understand". Here's hoping they're cool!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there an active development thread / IRC channel developers hang out in? I'm working on a side project and it's always nice to have people around who can answer quick questions.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

Is there an active development thread / IRC channel developers hang out in? I'm working on a side project and it's always nice to have people around who can answer quick questions.

op this thread posted:

IRC Channel: #SAGameDev on SynIRc.

op thread Games › Making Games Megathread - I hear someone talking about butts! posted:

Get all up in that IRC

There's a gamedevgoon IRC channel, its irc://irc.synirc.org/sagamedev. Get in.

Been awhile since I've used them but there always seems to be a few people in there to chat with.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shalinor posted:

Never go in for the hug, if you're on the show floor. Hugs are a private-party-friendly-dev-that-is-also-somewhat-drunk only sort of thing. Only touch others using the parts of yourself you can immediately douse in sanitizer.

That's an idea for a game: Game Dev Convention Simulator. Avoid the hugs from larger attendees, hug the smaller ones, spam the 'ask for free demo' command. Will you make it out smelling good?

Edit: oh god, I just read about the gleeking :gonk:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Bit out of left field, but is anyone here well versed with Steam's depot configuration? I'm trying to split some of our content into two separate depots but I think my approach is hitting a limitation in the configuration options.

Also, we're looking for an intermediate/senior level designer. It's an on-site position in Montreal. Apologies to the telecommuters -- I wish I were telecommuting too.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Here's a bigass folder full of all of our scripts, which may include something you're looking for.

http://sync.doubleactiongame.com/Steam/

It's been a year since I've hosed with that stuff I can maybe answer questions on it at bs.vino@gmail.com

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Vino posted:

Here's a bigass folder full of all of our scripts, which may include something you're looking for.

http://sync.doubleactiongame.com/Steam/

It's been a year since I've hosed with that stuff I can maybe answer questions on it at bs.vino@gmail.com

Hmmm, interesting, you have FileExclusions set up within a FileMapping? If that works as I hope it does, it might be the solution I'm looking for...

Basically, we're starting to work on story content internally that we don't want to push until our final release. I already set up build scripts that exclude story content from public builds. But with a single depot to push both public and dev builds to, that means we're constantly binary diffing builds with and without story content, which is wasteful.

I'm pretty sure the per-branch diff can figure it out and keep deltas at a minimum for public builds, but I figured I'd create a separate depot for story content instead. The problem is, story content is basically 2 subfolders within our content folder -- maps and cinematic assets. I tried setting up a FileExclusion in the main depot, but it turns out it also applies to the newly created story depot -- the story depot properly maps the story assets, but then they get suppressed because of the FileExclusion clause.

I'll try adding the clauses to the FileMapping alone and see how that works in the nightly build, I'm tired of waiting after builds for today.

edit: Sigh, no dice.

Jan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 10, 2015

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Looking back at those scripts I realize that nope, I don't remember anything I was loving doing back then. Sorry, I don't think I can explain any of it without a big time investment.

Maybe the Steam dev forums? You know, the secret ones that only devs can see? Last I was doing this stuff I got some good help there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Vino posted:

Maybe the Steam dev forums? You know, the secret ones that only devs can see? Last I was doing this stuff I got some good help there.

Yeah, posted there, someone suggested staging each depot from its own directory, rather than separate subdirectories. Which was my plan B, but I would've preferred a Steam-centric solution so I wouldn't have to write another build step to split the content. Ah well, at least it'll be an easy script to hammer out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
A 5 hour interview? Sure!

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

Jan posted:

Bit out of left field, but is anyone here well versed with Steam's depot configuration? I'm trying to split some of our content into two separate depots but I think my approach is hitting a limitation in the configuration options.

Also, we're looking for an intermediate/senior level designer. It's an on-site position in Montreal. Apologies to the telecommuters -- I wish I were telecommuting too.

drat your website is awesome!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

theflyingorc posted:

Thanks to both of you for the offer!

Turned out to be unnecessary - I sent them a "Huh, I thought my submission was pretty good, and chance you can tell me what's wrong with it?"

and they actually told me exactly what was wrong with it.

I had a small copy/paste error that caused the program to miss a specific edge case that wasn't part of my testing, but was part of theirs. I literally changed one line and it fixed it. I sent it back to them with a "Hey, if you wanna regrade this that would be cool, if not I understand". Here's hoping they're cool!

IMO I hate that poo poo. If they are going to run it through a testing suite they should give you the testing suite along with the description of what to do.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

xgalaxy posted:

IMO I hate that poo poo. If they are going to run it through a testing suite they should give you the testing suite as part of the test.

I agree somewhat. The annoying part, to me, is that failing a test case isn't indicative of what a programming job is like - I have bugs in my code all the time, and this test was a bit of a monster, difficulty-wise. I literally changed one line, and this was on a test were I was doing some cool programming tricks to minimize my memory footprint, stuff that probably outpaced 80%+ of their submissions.

Failing a unit test really shouldn't have immediately rejected me IMO, but whattayagonnado?

(FYI they weren't willing to retest, which was no surprise. Oh well, next time!)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

theflyingorc posted:

I agree somewhat. The annoying part, to me, is that failing a test case isn't indicative of what a programming job is like - I have bugs in my code all the time, and this test was a bit of a monster, difficulty-wise. I literally changed one line, and this was on a test were I was doing some cool programming tricks to minimize my memory footprint, stuff that probably outpaced 80%+ of their submissions.

Failing a unit test really shouldn't have immediately rejected me IMO, but whattayagonnado?

(FYI they weren't willing to retest, which was no surprise. Oh well, next time!)

Sounds like you should have just written perfect code :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kabanaw posted:

Sounds like you should have just written perfect code :colbert:

It was perfect, they just failed to see its splendor.

The misaligned pointer during certain operations was a commentary on the American educational system. They just don't understand MY ART.