Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Oblivion was good.

crabcakes66 posted:

Oblivion and FO3 were both good and fun games.
Gives me an idea of the level of expectations you people have.

Faded Mars posted:

Fallacy of composition. Just because one/more of the VAs has some undesirable qualities does not mean the game will also have them.
Those VA's are the guys we're going to be voiced by throughout the entire game. I'm not finding them exactly good or fun to listen to. This might carry some downsides into the game, but you are correct that I wouldn't know how bad/good it is until we hear it.

Let's just instead say it doesn't exactly make me positive in anticipation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Really if you didn't enjoy Oblivion and Fallout 3 despite their flaws you probably aren't going to like this game either.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Like any Bethesda game, Fallout 4 will become more terrible the older and more obsolete it becomes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah nowadays with Skyrim and New Vegas out there I'd have a hard time going back to Oblivion/FO3 but at the time they were great.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: ^^^Exxxaaaaaactlyyyyyyy^^^

This comes up in every Fallout-TES thread and here it comes again: If you play a game for more than 20 hours you've lost the right to complain...honestly that number could even be closer to 5 or 10 hours. Nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to play a video game, you can stop anytime. If you continue to play it but you're not enjoying it there must be some reason, for instance:

-Getting paid
-Want to go online and talk poo poo but don't want to sound uninformed
-Only own one video game for some reason
-Doing it to seem cool to all of your friends and family
-Obsessive Compulsive or some other form of mental illness

I'm mainly thinking of Oblivion here. Yeah it's a shite game in retrospect, I would never play it again now that Skyrim is a thing (and I believe I'll feel the same way about Skyrim when the next TES game comes out [the lovely online one doesn't count]) but it would be disingenuous for me to say that it's a bad game. At the time I really enjoyed it and that has to count for something.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i have recently been playing through fo3 and nv and while nv has cool improvements that I missed going through 3 i somehow managed, through pure force of will that apparently borders on herculean for some folks, enjoyed playing both video games

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

They're really good games, glad you enjoyed them.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

anything at pax?

Merch store and a model Mr. Handy that shouted bad jokes at passerby (:haw:) Nothing new afaik.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mordaedil posted:

Gives me an idea of the level of expectations you people have.

I apologize for liking a thing you didn't like. That was my mistake, especially after you've put in so much work continuously reminding the thread how much you aren't going to like FO4 since the beginning.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I loved Fallout 3 at the time, but once New Vegas came out I never really had much desire to play it again. I loved Skyrim when it came out, but I didn't care about the setting or story much so I didn't get really into it. I'm pretty drat confident I'll love Fallout 4 when it comes out. It'll take a lot for it to eclipse New Vegas for me, but I'm optimistic that it'll be a cool experience based on the stuff they've shown.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

counterfeitsaint posted:

I apologize for liking a thing you didn't like. That was my mistake, especially after you've put in so much work continuously reminding the thread how much you aren't going to like FO4 since the beginning.

Some goons just hate everything either because they are broken manchildren or they are sadbrains or who knows what. The best thing is to just enjoy the things you enjoy and put dumb spergs on your ignore list.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If you do not enjoy video games I enjoy than you are a sperg and subhuman.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Crabtree posted:

You don't have to enjoy them, but you don't get to say they are absolute garbage when there are plenty more people who like it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i have recently been playing through fo3 and nv and while nv has cool improvements that I missed going through 3 i somehow managed, through pure force of will that apparently borders on herculean for some folks, enjoyed playing both video games

Yeah I started playing 3 as well, I find it as fun as New Vegas. It has it's problems just like New Vegas has it's own problems.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It may be hyperbole, but sometimes it feels like Duke Nukem Forever levels of "it's going to be amazing guys!" in here.

Cojawfee posted:

You don't have to enjoy them, but you don't get to say they are absolute garbage when there are plenty more people who like it.

Actually, thats exactly what having an opinion means, interestingly enough.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 1, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm wondering now as the game draws closer, how will it treat the female characters? Will they be well rounded and independent characters or just a collection of tropes of background decoration, damsels and rewards for players.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even if you thought F3 and NV were poo poo they're at least funny/fun poo poo. yes it's retarded I steal an apple and a whole town wants to kill me but it's also funny when you blow up a ghoul rebel leader and his wife with a rocket launcher. they were never not entertaining even if they looked like dogshit and the writing was stupid garbage. it's probably worse to end up with an AssCreed game which were unfun, garbled messes you couldn't even break in amusement

F4 looks like it's basically "we made it not look ugly as gently caress, now you can build your own murderbase and guns and iron man armor" I think that is v. cool. it probably will never be the ultra tight technical marvel GOTY it could be but it looks like a very fun thing I won't return after a week like batman: arkham rear end in a top hat

SKELETON GHOST
Jan 11, 2015

by Ralp
I like to play video games

That's why I play video games

Thanks

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SKELETON GHOST posted:

I like to play video games

That's why I play video games

Thanks

hmmm... suspicious

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It may be hyperbole, but sometimes it feels like Duke Nukem Forever levels of "it's going to be amazing guys!" in here.

No, it really really really loving doesn't.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:lol: this thread is relentlessly negative what the hell are you talking about?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kinda unfair to compare DNF to Fallout 4 in any way

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA
As long as FO4 doesn't do the New Vegas thing "you must go this way first or die over and over". The best part of FO3 was leaving the vault and going any direction you wanted to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Also the NV setting being in a desert made the whole apocalyptic world seem not that apocalyptic but rather like I was just wandering around some present day low income American midwest landscape.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Psychotron posted:

As long as FO4 doesn't do the New Vegas thing "you must go this way first or die over and over". The best part of FO3 was leaving the vault and going any direction you wanted to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Also the NV setting being in a desert made the whole apocalyptic world seem not that apocalyptic but rather like I was just wandering around some present day low income American midwest landscape.

agreed

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

A. Beaverhausen posted:

lol you are delusional. This thread, just like every other Bethesda pre-release game thread that came after Oblivion has a massive number of people making GBS threads on it even though we know almost nothing about it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Psychotron posted:

I already made this point. You're 100% correct, but no one here is going to agree.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Man Whore posted:

lol you are delusional. This thread, just like every other Bethesda pre-release game thread that came after Oblivion has a massive number of people making GBS threads on it even though we know almost nothing about it.

When did I say it didn't? Some people just want this thread to be a hugbox with no negative comments at all. Thankfully that Games died long ago.

frajaq posted:

Kinda unfair to compare DNF to Fallout 4 in any way

Sure, which is why I I said it was hyperbole

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 1, 2015

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You must have an extremely vague recollection of everything about DNF and it's fans haha

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Martout posted:

You must have an extremely vague recollection of everything about DNF and it's fans haha

I remember Axemaniac, that beautiful bastard.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

When did I say it didn't? Some people just want this thread to be a hugbox with no negative comments at all. Thankfully that Games died long ago.

Hugbox games never existed as long as you used proper punctuation and spelling you could poo poo in any thread.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not true. The Dragons Age 2 thread of all places became an enforced hugbox, to name an example.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
So according to THIS perks have levels and level up on their own? So you pick Strong Back early, it starts at lvl 1 and as you level it gets xp and levels up itself. From an OXM interview:

"You'll still level up via XP, and each level increase will still give you a point to spend on a perk, but now those perks have varying XP levels of their own. It's perk-ception, essentially, and means that, should you theoretically play long enough to max out every tier of every single one gaining untold buffs and no doubt all kinds of horrendous real-world illnesses in the process – you’ll top off with a total of 275."

If this is true, it would offer some flexibility in builds. Instead of commiting to one perk for a number of levels, you could just grab it early and just play until it hits max level.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hmm I kinda liked the previous theorized perk system better. But at least now I can see the benefit of increasing Intelligence!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, so you buy Gun Nut to use guns, then as you shoot guns, you level up the perk so you get better at guns. Then you buy Light Step and have to walk over bear traps to level it up until you can levitate over land mines?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rabidredneck posted:

So according to THIS perks have levels and level up on their own? So you pick Strong Back early, it starts at lvl 1 and as you level it gets xp and levels up itself. From an OXM interview:

"You'll still level up via XP, and each level increase will still give you a point to spend on a perk, but now those perks have varying XP levels of their own. It's perk-ception, essentially, and means that, should you theoretically play long enough to max out every tier of every single one gaining untold buffs and no doubt all kinds of horrendous real-world illnesses in the process – you’ll top off with a total of 275."

If this is true, it would offer some flexibility in builds. Instead of commiting to one perk for a number of levels, you could just grab it early and just play until it hits max level.
The way it was explained earlier was that perks have multiple levels, usually 4. So instead of putting 100 skill points into Medicine, you unlock levels 1-4 of the Medicine perk. By "varying XP levels," I assume they mean that maxing out a perk costs more than taking level 1. So maybe Strong Back level 1 costs 1 point, level 2 costs 2 points, etc. The bit about playing long enough to max everything out refers to FO4 having no level cap.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the journalist is incompetent and it's just the same "perks have multiple ranks" information we've heard before.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rabidredneck posted:

7c Nickel posted:

I think the journalist is incompetent and it's just the same "perks have multiple ranks" information we've heard before.

That's because Bethesda has been providing insane information for their flagship video game:

quote:

"We're completely redesigning the way you think about perks and traits."

Beside a curiously bespectacled T. Howard sits a large, Fallout-themed Jacob's Ladder. He holds it up; the various "rungs" of the ladder leapfrog over each other with a mesmerizing, mind-bending rhythm.

"You have your 'Tier 1' perks." A green Super Mutant rung flips and flops to the bottom of the ladder.

"You have your 'Tier 2' perks." A blue Vault Boy follows behind the Super Mutant.

T. Howard stops the ladder's progression--he now holds the toy like a snake. "Now I want you to imagine that, hidden inside each of these rungs, there are two to four more levels of respective perks. Perks within perks. Traits within traits. Each one smaller and more dynamic than the last." He smiles momentarily, suddenly self aware. "A Russian nesting doll would have probably made a better analogy. But that's not all..."

The Bethesda Executive reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded sheet of notebook paper. Drawn on it is a "Devil's Pitchfork" illusion. "Let's talk about VATS..."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 2, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Can you provide an example of "Duke Nukem Forever levels of 'it's going to be amazing guys!'" from the last few pages? I don't think someone saying, hey, I liked the previous games these guys made, I bet I'll like this game too, seems especially egregious or hugboxy, but maybe we have different standards for these things?

Crabtree posted:

If you relentlessly complain about an unreleased game that you've never played, then kinda, yeah. There's a difference between criticizing something and just endlessly making GBS threads on it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Toddler and Hines remain the most entertaining part of any Bethesda release because they are 100% baldfaced lie hype machines. It's great.

Also, you're a fool if you're in this thread talking about how you didn't like Fallout 3 while at the same time even hinting that you might somehow like Fallout 4. That's just not how Bethesda works. "I hated Fallout 3 and expect to maybe like Fallout 4" is pants on head retarded. The people who liked Fallout 3 and are guessing that Fallout 4 will be "loving awesome" are less retarded than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Why can't they say its garbage because you like it?

Also half the fun of this thread is making fun of poo poo so don't you dare say that Cream-of-plenty can't Monsterbrew all night long. Anything Bethesda or Obsidian is fair game here, friendo.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread