Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Same it was probably my favourite after like 3. Though I've never played an AA game I didn't like to be honest.
I really don't like Layton vs. Wright, but otherwise yeah even 4 isn't thaaaaaat bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked all the bits in Layton vs Write that didn't involve Layton.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked AA5, but I'm afraid 6 is going to try to ignore the status quo it established, which would be really disappointing since I appreciated 5 for not trying to write around the fact that 4 happened.

\/ So yeah, we're back to spirit-channeling stuff. Wonder if they're going to try too hard and go to the point of trying to justify more drama directly related to the Fey family and have Mia come back.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 1, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Story will not take place in Japan/LA. Or at least this case won't.

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 1, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nate RFB posted:

I really don't like Layton vs. Wright

Well, they did say AA game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I thought AA5 was fine. Really liked the more "streamlined" Investigation phases though sometimes it offered a little too much help during the Court sections. Probably not going to play it all the way through again but I enjoyed it the first time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DLC case is the best case in AA history.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked Dual Destinies.... :smith:

Same. It was pretty fun. I am also having fun playing it for a friend of mine and see how he reacts to the story and the characters (and apparently, I totally nail the voice and speech pattern of Florent L'Belle if he was Norwegian).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can someone explain the love for AA5's DLC case to me? It was good, but I don't see what makes people call it the best case in the game or even the series.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

Can someone explain the love for AA5's DLC case to me? It was good, but I don't see what makes people call it the best case in the game or even the series.

you defend an orca and that's real silly man

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I liked the ending of the DLC case. Rather, the part where you confront the culprit. It does a good job of showing what kind of person Phoenix is and why he became a lawyer in the first place. It was really great to see a moment like that, especially after a game like Apollo Justice where he just seemed so unlike himself anymore.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I thought AA5 was fine. Really liked the more "streamlined" Investigation phases though sometimes it offered a little too much help during the Court sections. Probably not going to play it all the way through again but I enjoyed it the first time.

Bizarrely, AA5 was the most trouble I ever had with the series. I had to look up in a FAQ the solution to the end of case 3, the section with Athena making the poses completely lost me

Motto posted:

It was silly and had a cute animal in it, people go nuts for for both those things

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Motto posted:

The dissin' of Phoenix Wright.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Where are Apollo and Athena

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Motto posted:

You defend an orca.

Sasha Buckler is fun in that wacky AA character way.

One of the characters is an older Spike Spiegel.

The resolution was nice.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where are Apollo and Athena

Hopefully waiting to be shown off in a couple months like with Dual Destinies and Apollo.

Pessimistic answer: Disappeared into the ether as Phoenix goes around wherever he is with Maya and the new spirit-channeling kid while acting like nothing happened between AA3 and now.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2015

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

In case you guys haven't seen it yet:

Capcom UK posted:

You heard Wright! Ace Attorney 6 (working title), announced in Japan today, is also in development for the west

Source: https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/638729212745154560

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked Dual Destinies.... :smith:

DD was good. People complaining about ham-fisted writing in the Phoenix Wright series boggles me. That's part of the fun.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Terper posted:

Story will not take place in Japan/LA. Or at least this case won't.

They'll be going up the coast to Seattle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

DD was good. People complaining about ham-fisted writing in the Phoenix Wright series boggles me. That's part of the fun.

My problem with DD is that the streamlined investigations are actually Not Good. It killed pixel hunting, but also all the fun jokes of examining random poo poo (like, even the stepladder joke, right?)

Also it was far, far too easy. It felt like it was holding my hand constantly.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 1, 2015

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Although not one of my favourites, I enjoyed Dual Destinies quite a bit, so I'm all for AA6. Besides, if they learn from their mistakes and figure out what worked, it wouldn't take much to change things so that the game could be fantastic, instead of merely 'pretty great' like AA5. AA5 wasn't too far off the mark as it was.

Still hoping we'll get DGS at some point, even if it's as a double-pack when the sequel comes out, but it's looking more and more unlikely, especially since they were so eager to confirm AA6's western release but haven't even mustered a "We'll think about it" for DGS.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Try playing through it again.

Every time you read "The Dark Age of the Law" take a shot

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AA5 was real good and y'all revising your opinions like phil fish developed it or something

e: also shu takumi is real cool but considering his last two AA games were apollo justice and layton/wright maybe the AA5 team knows whats up, yknow. thanks for ghost trick tho shu it fuckin owns

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 1, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oddly enough for a mostly text-based game I couldn't really care less about the overarching plots of AA games. Throw in some silly dialogue and possibly bad jokes and I feel good about it. They're silly anime mystery adventure games man

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm gonna laugh if their reason for not bringing over Great Ace Attorney is because "we couldn't set it in california"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

AA5 was real good and y'all revising your opinions like phil fish developed it or something

e: also shu takumi is real cool but considering his last two AA games were apollo justice and layton/wright maybe the AA5 team knows whats up, yknow. thanks for ghost trick tho shu it fuckin owns

Didn't he do DGS which is apparently good?

I think he got hamstrung by meddling in AJ, and given my problems with Layton/Wright are mostly with the last half of the last case for reasons I'm calling Level-5 as the source of the problems there.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe the localisation being announced early means we'll get a simultaneous release?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Volt Catfish posted:

My problem with DD is that the streamlined investigations are actually Not Good. It killed pixel hunting, but also all the fun jokes of examining random poo poo (like, even the stepladder joke, right?)

Also it was far, far too easy. It felt like it was holding my hand constantly.

I liked not have to wander backwards and forwards trying figure out the one thing I'd missed to trigger the next scene, I'll take reduced tedium over missing a couple of descriptions any day.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

This is correct. It wasn't the best AA game but it was a far cry better than AJ and I quite liked it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Capcom executives really meddled in Takumi's original idea for AJ and forced him Kojima style to add Phoenix to a plot without him when T&T was supposed to wrap up a quality trilogy. Then the crossover went through a million revisions until we got a great game with a craptastic ending. I'd rather judge him on The Great Ace Attorney except, you know, it's not slated for Western release. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked not have to wander backwards and forwards trying figure out the one thing I'd missed to trigger the next scene, I'll take reduced tedium over missing a couple of descriptions any day.
Yeah I'd like more descriptions but I'm glad that the event triggers got downscaled. That poo poo could get infuriating in the original trilogy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is correct. It wasn't the best AA game but it was a far cry better than AJ and I quite liked it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Capcom executives really meddled in Takumi's original idea for AJ and forced him Kojima style to add Phoenix to a plot without him when T&T was supposed to wrap up a quality trilogy. Then the crossover went through a million revisions until we got a great game with a craptastic ending. I'd rather judge him on The Great Ace Attorney except, you know, it's not slated for Western release. :(

I'm just going to judge him on Ghost Trick, so yeah.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pixel hunts are rear end and aa5 is good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Scuttlebutt...

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
ace attorney 5 is the best game in the series

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You have extremely poor taste if you think dual destinies is better than any of the original trilogy and that's the truth. Play AAI2

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Also, when it comes to Layton vs. AA, I liked it.

Mostly because the trial portions of the game are wicked fun, and the multiple witness cross-examinations were great!

Story was totally insane, but I've seen worse.

But gently caress not being able to replay the trial portions of the game besides the last one! What's up with that?! At least I can listen to all the good music!

EDIT:

^^^^^^ I think Dual Destinies was more fun than the original trilogy games. AAI2 was the best game though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Folt The Bolt posted:

But gently caress not being able to replay the trial portions of the game besides the last one! What's up with that?! At least I can listen to all the good music!

This is probably because the game was much more of a linear overarching story than the main AA series' cordoned-off episodes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I hope the team can pull off another AAI2. Also, they really needs to come up with cases that don't involve the bodies being moved around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton had a Professor Layton story, which is a good thing instead of a bad thing.

• Locked thread