Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cloud Social Justice Millennials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

deimos posted:

Then outsource it to a cloud provider. You're already doing it for Office 365, look into AWS/Azure/GCP to complement the deficiencies on your infrastructure.

I'm already hard at work on a proposal for just this:

Step 1: Collect some data on our client FTP to see how much bandwidth we go through in a given month and then calculate how much that would cost to put, store, and pull.
Step 2: Play with the sandbox builds to get a feel for the service.
Step 3: Work with whatever new webmaster we hire to see about building a client login portal
Step 4: Develop a workflow/map of the whole process.
Step 5: Have a super secret closed door meeting with the GM outlining my idea.
Step 6: Have the proposal shot down
Step 7: Purchase thirty three new 1TB buffalo NAS units
Step 8: Have twenty seven of those units fail after a week
Step 9: Kill myself.

But seriously, I want to propose the idea as just a place to stash client uploads for the time being, and then work my way towards stashing all of our archived media there, too.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Can you put a trigger warning in that? I still have PTSD from the quiet screams of all those Buffalo and LaCie boxes. :cry:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would be worth having it all on AWS just so that you can pull the files down onto local storage for playout on your own terms - e.g. overnight, instead of clogging your WAN links up during the daytime.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

deimos posted:

SFTP for the anachronistic people.

This will lead to them downloading and installing Filezilla, including the helpful Sourceforge-supplied malware that the Filezilla devs get a few pennies from. So you'll get to clean that up too.

No, they always go for Filezilla. No, never WinSCP, always the malwared one. No, I don't know why either.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

divabot posted:

This will lead to them downloading and installing Filezilla, including the helpful Sourceforge-supplied malware that the Filezilla devs get a few pennies from. So you'll get to clean that up too.

No, they always go for Filezilla. No, never WinSCP, always the malwared one. No, I don't know why either.

But certainly larchesdanrew has AppLocker GPOs going and all of his users are operating off of a standard image and :suicide:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

:cawg:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair that is relevant for pretty much everything in the preceding post

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be worth having it all on AWS just so that you can pull the files down onto local storage for playout on your own terms - e.g. overnight, instead of clogging your WAN links up during the daytime.

Sadly the enormous amounts of data makes any sort of online-handling virtually impossible. I mean, people are complaining about being limited to editing workstations that runs on 1 GB CAT6 - and rightfully so. I can't even begin to imagine the bandwith required to have just a small regional station pushing their raw footage up through an Internet connection so you can save on NAS boxes. You have to remember that works in progress are often ten times the amount of data the final product end up being, and then we haven't begun discussing storing the clean feed for later use and the dirty feed for your archive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Crowley posted:

Sadly the enormous amounts of data makes any sort of online-handling virtually impossible. I mean, people are complaining about being limited to editing workstations that runs on 1 GB CAT6 - and rightfully so. I can't even begin to imagine the bandwith required to have just a small regional station pushing their raw footage up through an Internet connection so you can save on NAS boxes. You have to remember that works in progress are often ten times the amount of data the final product end up being, and then we haven't begun discussing storing the clean feed for later use and the dirty feed for your archive.

Sorry, I meant specifically for the FTP-replacement.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

To be fair that is relevant for pretty much everything in the preceding post

Yeah, but I find it humorous to take an entire list of "things you should be doing" and then find the most common, basic, day-one IT 101 thing and laugh at how I'm not allowed.

Crowley posted:

Big rear end files

This is absolutely true. We eat through data, and they want to save every asset of a story: raw footage, edited footage, voice overs, segregated audio, and then several different types of each story. A single three or four minute story can end up taking up 100GB+, and then consider we create 10-20 stories a day. It's not something we can work with in the cloud, even on a 250/250 connection. This would solely be for client commercials and archiving old video. We'll probably never be 100% in the cloud, but this will be a huge first step in moving as much as we can to it.

Anyways, a panicked call comes in from the sales manager. Corporate bigwigs are here. CEO, President, Vice President, a bunch of suits in the conference room hashing out our collective futures with management.

My phone rings. "Did the power go out? We just lost everything in the conference room, no video, no audio, nothing is working!"

I rush upstairs, ready to shine and prove my worth, hoping it's nothing too complicated so I don't look like a fool in front of my overlords.

All eyes stare boredly at me as I make my way to the conference set up.

I reach up and turn on the television.

"Oh, there it is," the CEO exclaims, "Please leave now."

I am ushered out and resume my important job of sitting in a filthy shop and plotting my departmental coup.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 1, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At least you fixed it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The Donald "We have stupid people" Trump plugin is almost as good as Cloud2Butt.

The Donald "I don't want to use the word 'screwed', but I screwed him" Trump plugin is almost as good as Cloud2Butt.

This is working very well

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Oh poo poo it gets recurisve

The "We have stupid people" Donald "Somebody's doing the raping" Trump plugin is almost as good as Cloud2Butt.

The "I don't want to use the word 'screwed', but I screwed him" Donald "She talks like a truck driver" Trump plugin is almost as good as Cloud2Butt.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

KoRMaK posted:

Oh poo poo it gets recurisve

Yeah it gets kinda wonky. I was having that problem when quoting Dick Trauma's post, I just disabled it temporarily.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Trying to move a professor's files (entire life's work) from a pair of external hard drives to OneDrive because it would be kind of nice for it to be backed up somewhere other than the other hard drive in his laptop bag that frequently travels with him internationally, on boats, etc. OneDrive sync failed because most of his 560,000 files are over the 254 character limit due to his Byzantine directory structure and naming convention, and most of it is duplicate files because every year he makes a copy the previous year's folder with everything in it duplicated even though the vast majority remains untouched

I knew OneDrive wasn't great when I tried it years ago, I had no idea it was so incompetent.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

Reading that article, is there even any reason to use FileZilla anymore? Sounds like the developer is a massive tool who doesn't care because "my program is popular and people use it, it's them who's wrong and not me"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I own an MSP and I just received this email from a client.

quote:

Hi nexxai, CEO is having problems with his computer. Can you check this out.
(Yes, we have remote access tools but they're on demand, not persistent, for liability reasons.)

For God's sake, literally *any* details about his problem would be appreciated.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

nexxai posted:

(Yes, we have remote access tools but they're on demand, not persistent, for liability reasons.)

"Yes, but first I need you to provide me with information on the issues he is having."

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

go3 posted:

"Yes, but first I need you to provide me with information on the issues he is having."

"I don't know it just quit working! It worked fine before you last touched it, you must have done something to it!"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

"I don't know it just quit working! It worked fine before you last touched it, you must have done something to it!"

I put this right up there with someone who pushed a button they didn't understand, it broke poo poo, and they refuse to tell me what button they pushed because they will "Feel stupid".

Look, the more I spend digging at this the lower my opinion gets of you. Telling me at the start of the call so I can just fix poo poo and be done will make me think highly of you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah this response gets it put to the end of the line.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I put this right up there with someone who pushed a button they didn't understand, it broke poo poo, and they refuse to tell me what button they pushed because they will "Feel stupid".

Look, the more I spend digging at this the lower my opinion gets of you. Telling me at the start of the call so I can just fix poo poo and be done will make me think highly of you.

Christ, this is my biggest pet peeve. poo poo happens to everyone. I'm not going to ridicule you for changing a setting or not knowing how to do something. But the willful refusal to admit what you did is childish and detrimental to me fixing the problem. Yes, you're experiencing pop-ups, but don't tell me you only do work related stuff and you "must've just accidentally clicked something" to make this happen. There's not a single built-in option in any web browser that allows you click something and experience pop-up ads where there were none previously.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Yeah it gets kinda wonky. I was having that problem when quoting Dick Trauma's post, I just disabled it temporarily.

That is the opposite of what a problem is.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

You guys forgot the "political correctness to treating people with respect" extension.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

taiyoko posted:

You guys forgot the "political correctness to treating people with respect" extension.

There's a difference between "treating people with respect" and "incessant word policing."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

divabot posted:

Last time I used it -- which was, to be fair, years ago -- FZ kicked the poo poo out of winSCP UI-wise. It's also available on every major OS, which is a major advantage over WinSCP if you run a mixed-OS environment and want consistency in software where possible, or to share config files across OSes.

Between that and the malware being a relatively recent development, I'm not surprised that FZ is still what most people reach for first. It's certainly what I would be downloading if I didn't know about the malware and needed a windows SFTP client.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I always avoided the malware and sourceforge debacles by just pointing people to a Ninite installer, but Filezilla recently stopped working with it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Trick: Mandatory installs of ublock origin on all browsers on all work machines. Ublock Origin throws up a scary page when you attempt to access Sourceforge (or any other lovely third-party malware download site)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

Of course the problem was the CEO lost power to his entire loving office. :downs:

I wish I was kidding.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A broken tablet came in (someone's personal device, not work related).

I was told that this was their relatives tablet and the video stopped displaying. They claim that it hadn't been dropped and they don't know why it's not working. They apparently take good care of their stuff!

Yep, that looks like it's been well taken care of. I can't possibly imagine why the video stopped working. :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Segmentation Fault posted:

There's a difference between "treating people with respect" and "incessant word policing."
Jeeze, if you don't like "word policing" then don't install any of the word substitution plugins.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey, ever since you did that thing to my tablet two months ago it has been running slow, please advise.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

nexxai posted:

I'm curious on how you survive in the MSP world without persistent remote access.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TWBalls posted:

A broken tablet came in (someone's personal device, not work related).

I was told that this was their relatives tablet and the video stopped displaying. They claim that it hadn't been dropped and they don't know why it's not working. They apparently take good care of their stuff!

Yep, that looks like it's been well taken care of. I can't possibly imagine why the video stopped working. :iiam:

Please tell me you didn't touch that thing and just walked away, hands up, screaming "NOPE NOT MY PROBLEM"

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I'm wishing I had, but she handed it to me in a bag (the paper bag you see in the pictures) when I was holding the lunch I picked up from the cafeteria. Just gonna hand it back to her and tell her "not my problem".

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Jeeze, if you don't like "word policing" then don't install any of the word substitution plugins.

:rolleyes:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Intern with the name JOHN_SMITH starts. gets fired.

2 months later, sales rep with the name JOHN_SMITH starts.

someone re-enabled the old JOHN_SMITH account thinking it was the same person (actual name is incredibly unique)

OUs and permissions and all that other stuff was all hosed up.

half fixed by changing the email alias' on the old account, renaming the old account and login details.

address book is still routing mail to the old address.

bitch Sales manager calls up to complain about this.

"I cant send email to JOHN_SMITH"

ok, you cant because the address book hasnt updated ye--

"NO I AM USING THE ADDRESS BOOK"

...If you let me finish, the address book does not update in realtime and will take up to 36hrs to update with the new mailbox with the correct user

This bitch is notorious for this kind of attitude too, and its always the same thing - cuts you off to try and prove a point, but without fail, always wrong about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
you could have just said "a sales manager called"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

go3 posted:

you could have just said "a sales manager called"

Im painting a picture how dare you censor my art.

• Locked thread