Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Edge is currently my "this site has to work 100% and I don't want to disable 1000 domains in NoScript" browser. It also don't have my password manager yet so it's limited in what I can access efficiently. Once it gets that extension and uBlock I'm probably ditching Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Edge is currently my "this site has to work 100% and I don't want to disable 1000 domains in NoScript" browser. It also don't have my password manager yet so it's limited in what I can access efficiently. Once it gets that extension and uBlock I'm probably ditching Firefox.

"This site needs Website Noise to run - please enable all Website Noise to participate in this part of the Internet"

Derail: who decided whole page grey-out pop-up is acceptable? It totally fucks up small screen browsing.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mr Funkface posted:

Derail: who decided whole page grey-out pop-up is acceptable? It totally fucks up small screen browsing.

The Javascript alert stuff? Firefox. I don't know if they still do it (I'm a Chrome/Safari guy, I don't use the other browsers except for testing) but they had an in browser page alert first. So I'm guessing they decided to go off of that.

Edge with extension support (especially on phones) would be killer. I love the performance, but not having 1Password, or Ublock, or my youtube/general website comment blocker is really annoying. The UI could also use more love too and while WinRT was really enhanced to get Edge running like a "normal" Win32 app, it still can't do things that one would expect to be able to do. Like drag and drop into the browser page. Or when you pull off a tab, you get a nice cross out logo, implying that you can't do that. Yet you can, because it works. I get why that happens (it's the default WinRT behavior for drag and drop, my app does that too when dragging images into the reply textbox, and as far as I know you can't get rid of it) but it should not. And why you can't drag a tab and drop it anywhere. It will always spawn right next to the existing window. :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

.Tim posted:

Yeah I have no issues with Edge on my work computer or my Surface 3.

Doesn't having terrible touch gestures bother you?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Sri.Theo posted:

I'll admit, I miss how fluidly I could browse the web with Metro IE, but after getting used to Edge, it's not so bad.

It's a hell of a better alternative to the processor baking Chrome on a Surface Pro.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Nope. I do miss the swipe to go back a page feature but that's it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Well, it seems that my Lumia 925 is unrecoverable, which is pretty tragic & irritating since it's got the best feel of any WP handset right now. I was going to get a 640 with Tmo, but oh yeah, they stopped selling them. Then I considered just giving up and getting a cheap used iPhone to tide me over a few months until the 950's come out. But at the last moment I decided to grab a used BLU Win HD just to see how bad they were.

Verdict: not the worst thing ever.

Pros: Functional. Hardware aesthetic is acceptable, although they're doing the samsung thing of putting the volume rocker on the opposite side of the power. Also no dedicated camera button.

Cons: Underpowered, so occasional visual stutters. Dual sim capabilities means I always have to look at the missing sim icon & see UI to switch sim cards everywhere. There appears to not be a way to tell the phone "I'm only going to be using one sim, thanks". Also, there's no way to switch to the old-style 2 column start screen layout, so EVERYTHING IS TINY. Also, for whatever reason, they're calling wifi "WLAN". So it's "WLAN Sense" and "Available WLAN networks", etc.

Hey, at least my backup restored ok, good job Microsoft. Most apps seem to restore ok, minus Nokia apps of course, which sucks. Also Harmony Music doesn't restore your collection metadata from backup so I'm now waiting the friggin 30 minutes it takes to rescan. Whoever the moron was that made this app put the cache files in the non-restoring portion of storage. Great move doofus.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Factor Mystic posted:

Also Harmony Music doesn't restore your collection metadata from backup so I'm now waiting the friggin 30 minutes it takes to rescan. Whoever the moron was that made this app put the cache files in the non-restoring portion of storage. Great move doofus.

:rolleyes: What a doofus.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Walmart had the 640.

Edge sucks my rear end on WM10 preview. Often it will just shrink and close. Frequently it reloads the page for no reason. Sometimes it displays some content, but even UC browser on the same platform can stay open long enough to read whatever it is. It still needs help.

Drastic: WM10 Awful still cannot resume to where it was in a thread?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sri.Theo posted:

Other than not having swipe to go forward and back, I don't even know what touch gestures there were.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Partycat posted:

Drastic: WM10 Awful still cannot resume to where it was in a thread?

1. Use the thread.. I've stopped posting about it here.

2. It has, and as far as I know always has. If you're entering the app through the tile it goes back to start, but that's expected behavior (Tiles are not multitasking menus). Using the multitasking menu it should work, but if it reloads the whole app then it's a memory issue. It happens infrequently on the 1520 but I imagine the 640 would have more issues.

In any case, it should work. Just use the multitasking menu.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah sorry, that was a bit harsh.

I'll post over there!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Got my Lumia 640 today since my iPhone 5 battery wouldn't last more than 3-4 hours with moderate usage.

So far everything is pretty nice I have to say. I'm starting to like the tile home screen. All my apps minus one are already on the windows store and work fairly well.

Currently installing the win10 preview to hopefully port the app I'm missing from android so I can still use it

Walmart.com has the t-mobile unlocked 640s for $99 by the way

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Welcome to the club, Pumpy :toot:

(This is maybe a bad time to join though)

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

loquacius posted:

Welcome to the club, Pumpy :toot:

(This is maybe a bad time to join though)

Yeah I know the new phones are dropping soon. I was trying to hold out but last week my phone from from full charge to dead in my 40 minute train ride and I finally had enough

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is the app in question the MBTA app? It's the only one I'm really missing.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Is the app in question the MBTA app? It's the only one I'm really missing.

No it's Memrise. I use it a lot during downtimes to learn German. They don't have a mobile friendly site but have iOS and Android apps

Turns out the side loader doesn't work for the 640?

Also in already a little put off by how out of date some official apps are. The Twitter app doesn't even support quoting tweets

creatine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 3, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to Paris in a few weeks to attend VLC Dev Days. I'm going to be there talking to the WinRT team (AKA the other guy working on it :v:), trying to figure out where to take it. If you guys have any ideas that you want me to tell them please let me know.

So I have been screwing around with Windows Mobile 10, a little bit and here is something I don't quite get it.

Now in the Windows 10 desktop version of the store, the "Check app updates" button is on top. Here it's on the bottom. Now, why? I understand that the button is on the bottom so it would be easier to reach. But the hamburger button in is still on top. So really it barely improves the situation. I would rather it be consistent. Because I can just hold down the windows button in order to get the menu to drop down.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Edit: Nevermind, decided to cancel the order after reading some posts in the thread. The order was from Expansys and I've already requested an order cancellation. I guess the 1520 has a ton of issues, which sucks because it looks like a cool phone.

Alas.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 3, 2015

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

No it's Memrise. I use it a lot during downtimes to learn German. They don't have a mobile friendly site but have iOS and Android apps

Turns out the side loader doesn't work for the 640?

Also in already a little put off by how out of date some official apps are. The Twitter app doesn't even support quoting tweets

Try duolingo and tweetium.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It took a hard reset, but I got the Awful app working, so that's nice. :)

It also sounds like we'll be getting a new build soon, possibly 10537, which supposedly fixes a bunch of stuff from 10512 including mobile hotspots:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/81303/20150903/windows-10-mobile-build-10537-is-currently-under-internal-testing.htm

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My new 640 xl didn't even last a day. It won't start, just keeps rebooting after the Microsoft logo pops up. Wow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

My new 640 xl didn't even last a day. It won't start, just keeps rebooting after the Microsoft logo pops up. Wow.

Turns out the micro SD card I put in was the source of the problem. Guess I'll just have to buy a new one...which is significantly cheaper.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I can't even believe it. That mandatory update for the Windows Phone Recovery Tool actually made it recover my Lumia 925. I'm astounded. I'm also thrilled to be back on a Nokia. I missed the superior touch screen and glance too much.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
How are the latest builds in the slow and fast tracks? I'm debating putting one on my daily driver, because apparently I'm a masochist.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

10512 is buggy but useable for me on my 640; hotspot doesn't work, predictive text is almost constantly wrong and the UI takes about three seconds to appear on the lock screen, but nothing that's made me want to run back to 8.1; 10 is a lot better than 8 overall, imo, bugs aside.

Like I said above though, it seems like they're gearing up for another, more stable build, so you may want to hold fire for a week or so and see if anything materialises.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah it's been much better than previous builds, but "fast track" really isn't that fast at the moment.

Edge still sucks with reloading or closing on various pages. Lately what it's been doing is some sort of crap where new tabs open blank until you either close and re-open edge, or restart the phone. Something is leaking memory and eventually that seems to have to be done anyways.

I haven't been arsed to put it back to 8.1 since it's tolerable as a build.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So, any interest in my black 16gig Lumia 1520 (AT&T, not unlocked)? I am tossing in a free HP Stream 7 so you goons can load it up with your anime. Buncha cases for the phone too.

Look for it in SA Mart soon (taking pics now). Looking for $209 or so shipped to CONUS. Will edit this post with the link once it's up.

SA listing up:

Edit Sold

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740646

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 8, 2015

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
A while ago I remember seeing a "store offline maps on SD" option on my 920 and 1520 - has this been dropped for the 640? Internal storage all full up after a couple months who knows why. The internet says it's a feature taken out with Denim though this is reported in Jan - any word on more up to date information?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I too am waiting on the next 10 build to finally switch over as a daily driver. I would've done it already based on the latest build, but I use hotspot pretty regularly.

hotsauce posted:

So, any interest in my black 16gig Lumia 1520 (AT&T, not unlocked)? I am tossing in a free HP Stream 7 so you goons can load it up with your anime. Buncha cases for the phone too.

Look for it in SA Mart soon (taking pics now). Looking for $209 or so shipped to CONUS. Will edit this post with the link once it's up.

SA listing up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740646

As a 930 user that also had the proximity sensor issue, I can attest to pinching the top right corner temporarily fixes it, and putting on a TPU case that prevents flexing seems to have gotten rid of the issue for me. PM sent., I'm interested because my brother has been coveting a 1520 for a long time now.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 8, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well poo poo. Ever since the Samsung Focus days I've had a Windows Phone of some sort lying around. Always loved the platform, but could never go full-time with it (Android dork I guess). Just sold my 1520 - which I never thought I would - to a fellow goon.

Guess I'll see what happens with Windows Phone 10 and go from there. It's been real...see you guys around soon I'm sure!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 8, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

A while ago I remember seeing a "store offline maps on SD" option on my 920 and 1520 - has this been dropped for the 640? Internal storage all full up after a couple months who knows why. The internet says it's a feature taken out with Denim though this is reported in Jan - any word on more up to date information?

I have a 640XL and I have stored maps on my microSD card with HERE Maps (well, I installed HERE on the SD then it downloads the maps where the app is). Check if you actually need to move the app to the SD to have enough space to download the maps, because the feature is actually there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I forget, are we supposed to post issues with the awful app in this thread? Had an issue with quoting someone, pulling up the smilie list, and after tapping a smilie it cleared the entire reply I was putting together.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Google-fu is failing me right now. I picked up a 640 (which is an awesome phone for $80, blows away the 530 I had) but how do I get the Windows 10 beta on this thing?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

My Google-fu is failing me right now. I picked up a 640 (which is an awesome phone for $80, blows away the 530 I had) but how do I get the Windows 10 beta on this thing?

Take the left road young warrior.

https://insider.windows.com/Home/Index

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thank you. I got it installed but I can't find a way to sync all of my Google contacts. It also just hangs up when I try to add my Microsoft account. That's what I get for fiddling with things I guess.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Is there a WP8.1 development topic? Or is this just it?

One thing I'm curious about is, as I was involved in the development of a media player that is ported to WP8.1, how one keeps a background process alive, playing audio via xaudio, without it being terminated. Currently, the only workaround we've found is to spawn a MediaPlayer instance that plays a loop of silence while we're playing.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kode54 posted:

Is there a WP8.1 development topic? Or is this just it?

One thing I'm curious about is, as I was involved in the development of a media player that is ported to WP8.1, how one keeps a background process alive, playing audio via xaudio, without it being terminated. Currently, the only workaround we've found is to spawn a MediaPlayer instance that plays a loop of silence while we're playing.

The .NET thread is a catch all right now for Windows Development, so probably in there would be best.

What I can tell you though is you need to set up and register a background task for playing all audio in the background. You can't use a media element like in Windows 8.

Also note that for UWP Windows 10 apps, they also use the background task model for music playback.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So what are these new Windows phones coming out soon? I'm having trouble finding info on Google.

Also, how easy is it to load android applications at this time? I used a Windows phone for a few days when I broke my android, and I really loved it except for the lack of applications.

I'm considering making the switch since android phones prices are getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So what are these new Windows phones coming out soon? I'm having trouble finding info on Google.

Also, how easy is it to load android applications at this time? I used a Windows phone for a few days when I broke my android, and I really loved it except for the lack of applications.

I'm considering making the switch since android phones prices are getting out of hand.

October is best guess for new phones and android app support a hard thing to bank on at the moment being a factor in a platform switch until we hear more firm plans.