Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Drythe posted:

My S6 Edge + is really cool and I've talked three people into getting the new Samsung phones.

I also had a coworker hate the Nexus so much he returned it and got an iPhone. He also agrees my Samsung is awesome.

You're literally the worst person in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

To be honest, it seems like not even Google itself can be trusted with this poo poo. How long did people complain about the memory leaks in 5.0 when it first came out on Nexus phones? Remember when Google hosed up video playback on some of the Nexus tablets? Remember when the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would just lose all it's cell radios until you either restarted the phone or toggled airplane mode on/off?

*Triggered
You just gave me GNex flashbacks.
You can't get anymore "samsunged" than that and it was completely 'stock'.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FistEnergy posted:

I believe this was expected in Android tech circles, since the 615 is an extremely inefficient, aging SoC with a horrible GPU. Either Android Central or Police nailed it as soon as it was announced - saying that the Play had a massive battery because the 615 required one, not because Moto wanted to give it epic battery life.

bull3964 posted:

The 615 is just a 410 with double the cores and a slightly better GPU. There's no reason for it to stutter compared to the 410.

The reviews of the Moto X Play I read indicated that battery life was pretty great. It may be that Motorola is doing some hardcore throttling to achieve that though since their own Moto G review specifically mentions how smooth everything is. I know benchmarks are kind of dumb, but I did notice that the Idol 3 benchmarks 25% higher than the X Play even though they theoretically are using identical silicon.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a new kickstarter for an interesting phone that seamlessly moves your apps and data to/from a 100GB cloud drive, based on age and usage. It leaves behind a small thumbnail or placeholder so you can fetch stuff back easily. It seems like a cool idea, has good specs and a nice design aesthetic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextbit/robin-the-smarter-smartphone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hope you got consistent, fast, unlimited data.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

There's a new kickstarter for an interesting phone that seamlessly moves your apps and data to/from a 100GB cloud drive, based on age and usage. It leaves behind a small thumbnail or placeholder so you can fetch stuff back easily. It seems like a cool idea, has good specs and a nice design aesthetic.

128Gb sdcards aren't that expensive, are they? Also it looks like crap.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

64bit_Dophins posted:

*Triggered
You just gave me GNex flashbacks.
You can't get anymore "samsunged" than that and it was completely 'stock'.

:airquote::airquote:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Good loving lord. Instead of rube goldberging this poo poo with a nonsupported hack of Android how about just buy a loving phone with 128GB.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yeah the cloud poo poo will never take off in the US because it's at odds with the way data plans are sold. But with that gimmick aside it's still a very nicely spec'd phone for $350.

However I'm a hugephone and sd card guy so it's not for me!

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Moto X Pure pre-orders start tomorrow: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/01/the-new-moto-x-pure-edition-will-be-available-for-pre-order-in-the-us-tomorrow-september-2nd/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google has a new logo. Looks like they're also going to be using the "Google dots" more too.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/google-update.html

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Syrinxx posted:

Yes, because I only hit up Lowes every 1-2 months when I have a project I should have to redownload the whole loving app, re authenticate and piss off everyone in line waiting to get my MyLowes card handy for the cashier to scan. Not to mention that every Lowes I've been in is an absolutely Faraday cage so this would be impossible.

Yes, I do use Google Wallet to store my MyLowes card and others, but the principle stands.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
My friend has a Moto X 2014 I think and he can talk to it when it is in stand by mode to make it do things. Is that a feature for all android phones or just that Motorola phone?

Asking because I want that feature but in a smaller phone like the Sony Z3C.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google has a new logo. Looks like they're also going to be using the "Google dots" more too.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/google-update.html

:pcgaming:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Present posted:

My friend has a Moto X 2014 I think and he can talk to it when it is in stand by mode to make it do things. Is that a feature for all android phones or just that Motorola phone?

Asking because I want that feature but in a smaller phone like the Sony Z3C.

Only Samsung and Motorola phones currently.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Band 12 is listed as supported for the X Pure, I wonder if it will disappear from the page just like it did for the G

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

Band 12 is listed as supported for the X Pure, I wonder if it will disappear from the page just like it did for the G

You mean for TMO? I'd say it's almost certainly going to be removed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Google Maps just updated for me to have the new logo so I guess they are rolling out those changes straight away in the apps.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Red Warrior posted:

Google Maps just updated for me to have the new logo so I guess they are rolling out those changes straight away in the apps.

poo poo, same here, just noticed the 'G' in the icon is updated.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

drat now the question is should I go ahead and pre-order it or wait until reviews come out.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

SB35 posted:

You're literally the worst person in this thread.

I touched my wiz today also

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

calandryll posted:

drat now the question is should I go ahead and pre-order it or wait until reviews come out.

At least according to Droid-Life, they haven't even gotten review units yet.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

calandryll posted:

Buy it and return it if you don't like it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Super Dude posted:

Buy it and return it if you don't like it.

That's what I plan on doing. But I think it's going to end up being pretty solid. Camera is supposed to be much better, and I didn't even think the shooter on the 2014 model was all that bad -just average.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
X Pure or wait for new vzw droid / N5?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nice catch! I didn't notice it myself.

Looks like that's available right now as Google is rebranding all of their in-house apps:

Google Maps 9.14

Google Translate 4.3

Google App 5.2 (Jelly Bean)

Google App 5.2 (KitKat and above)

Google Chrome 45

All of the APKs are hosted on APK Mirror (from Android Police) and all have the new rebranding. The Google App even functions just like in the GIF.

EDIT: Actually, Google Now's UI has changed a bit too! It's kinda...more card-like (if that's even possible).

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The real reason removable battery is no longer a thing is for big brother style monitoring even while the phone is off, right? :tinfoil:
Your booster packs of whatever they are called don't help that do they?
I ought to sell lead or Faraday cage boxes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

galahan posted:

The real reason removable battery is no longer a thing is for big brother style monitoring even while the phone is off, right? :tinfoil:
Your booster packs of whatever they are called don't help that do they?
I ought to sell lead or Faraday cage boxes.

Removable batteries and microSD slots add design overhead that interferes with getting devices slimmer and slimmer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My '13 X "pulsed" when I had a new notification but my G just does the initial notification and that's it. I have to rock the phone to wake the Moto display to see if I have a notification. Is there an option that I'm missing to bring the pulsing back? Without an LED this is very annoying.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't think so, because the G uses an LCD screen instead of an AMOLED. It would suck up a lot more power to pulse a whole LCD instead of a tiny spot like the old X. The G's method seems fine to me though, since it pulses whenever you pick up the phone, take it out of your pocket, etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I don't think so, because the G uses an LCD screen instead of an AMOLED. It would suck up a lot more power to pulse a whole LCD instead of a tiny spot like the old X. The G's method seems fine to me though, since it pulses whenever you pick up the phone, take it out of your pocket, etc.

Ah, I thought it was an AMOLED. That makes sense then, despite being a bit of a bummer though. No big deal though in the end, the G really is an outstanding phone all-around. These reports about the Play not being great have me being a little :smugface: about it but hope those reviews are wrong so I can swap up to the 5.5" version.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

TraderStav posted:

Ah, I thought it was an AMOLED. That makes sense then, despite being a bit of a bummer though. No big deal though in the end, the G really is an outstanding phone all-around. These reports about the Play not being great have me being a little :smugface: about it but hope those reviews are wrong so I can swap up to the 5.5" version.

The new X Pure has an LCD screen as well, so I wonder if it will pulse at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's kind of a bummer that there's this expectation to place your phone screen-down because I am pretty sure I'd be unable to just leave the drat phone laying there face-down out of an insane fear of scratching the screen and being able to unsee the scratch like a fedex arrow. I'd love to use a screen protector but getting an air bubble or stray bit of dust under there (or misaligning it) wigs me out as much as a scratch would.

As much as I try to like the idea of a case/screen protector, the last time I used either was when I had an HTC Hero and even then I took the case off and eventually peeled the screen protector off because the case was just too goddamn bulky and the screen protector was just a sliver too small so there was a little cranny between the chassis/screen area where pocket lint would catch. On the other hand, the last phone screen I scratched was a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G, and it was a little bitty scratch on the S in the Samsung logo which would loving sparkle whenever the light hit it wrong. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat who keeps his phone in pristine condition out of a quirk of personal aesthetic preferences like a total sperg.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wax Dynasty posted:

The new X Pure has an LCD screen as well, so I wonder if it will pulse at all.

I was actually just reading about this myself. I thought the whole point of Moto X's using AMOLED screens was so they could implement the active notifications without excessive battery drain (just Illuminating a few pixels at a time). I could see myself missing a lot of notifications if I have to physically do something to the phone to see if I have any.

Why won't Motorola give us the option to use the built in dead battery LED? The first and second gen both have them behind the earpiece, I imagine the new one will too. I might reconsider my decision to preorder.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anyway to keep maps from hogging data? Drove four hours today (Atlanta to Asheville) and maps used a .95 gigs. It created one solution and I never changed routes. I've never had this happen.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyway to keep maps from hogging data? Drove four hours today (Atlanta to Asheville) and maps used a .95 gigs. It created one solution and I never changed routes. I've never had this happen.

I use a free app called here. It uses quite a bit of GPS and battery, but once you download the maps you have access offline. It's great for deadzones as long as you prepare before you lose signal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

galahan posted:

I use a free app called here. It uses quite a bit of GPS and battery, but once you download the maps you have access offline. It's great for deadzones as long as you prepare before you lose signal.

Seconding Here Maps. It was owned by Nokia and is in the process of being sold to a group of European car makers so it's legit. The data quality is high and the app is very usable. My only complaint is that with the screen on you can be using enough power to run down the battery even if you're actively charging. This is true of every navigation app as far as I know, however. You can download individual states (average state is 250mb, but Texas and California are roughly double that) or entire countries.

One note on Here. Make sure you set speed alerts in settings once you install it. By default it will ding at you if you're exceeding the speed limit at all. You can set a more reasonable alert like 7 over or turn it off altogether. It's very useful for those places the speed limit drops like 30mph when you roll through a town. It's not always 100% accurate to the posted speed limit, but it's pretty darn good.

I had the same problem with Google maps using ridiculous amounts of data the time I tried it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seconding Here Maps. It was owned by Nokia and is in the process of being sold to a group of European car makers so it's legit. The data quality is high and the app is very usable. My only complaint is that with the screen on you can be using enough power to run down the battery even if you're actively charging. This is true of every navigation app as far as I know, however. You can download individual states (average state is 250mb, but Texas and California are roughly double that) or entire countries.

One note on Here. Make sure you set speed alerts in settings once you install it. By default it will ding at you if you're exceeding the speed limit at all. You can set a more reasonable alert like 7 over or turn it off altogether. It's very useful for those places the speed limit drops like 30mph when you roll through a town. It's not always 100% accurate to the posted speed limit, but it's pretty darn good.

I had the same problem with Google maps using ridiculous amounts of data the time I tried it.

Beautiful. Used here maps on windows phone. I thought Google maps cached maps tbh. I don't know why. I always create the route from WiFi before I depart too. Even if it didnt, there isn't a goddamn gig of maps between Atlanta and NC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
How is the traffic data for Here Maps? While downloading maps is a really neat thing, I would still choose real-time traffic data over offline maps.