Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Lichtenstein posted:

If upcoming Codex counts as a deckbuilder, I'm kinda hyped for it.

The upcoming* Sirlin project that's supposed to model RTSs? It's a constructible card game like Magic or Netrunner, not a deckbuilder. You show up with your force pre-built.

*Was supposed to release like two years ago. But if you subscribe to Sirlin's Patreon at the $25 level or above, you can print and play his latest prototype! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

OneDeadman posted:

on the anime domnion front: I sure hope that the Space Dandy Deckbuilder is real good.

tell me more

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The anime booby statue is like when a plant or insect has bright colors and warns other animals that it's poisonous

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dr Tran posted:

tell me more

Here

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gutter Owl posted:

The upcoming* Sirlin project that's supposed to model RTSs? It's a constructible card game like Magic or Netrunner, not a deckbuilder. You show up with your force pre-built.

*Was supposed to release like two years ago. But if you subscribe to Sirlin's Patreon at the $25 level or above, you can print and play his latest prototype! :haw:

It's not even quite construction like MtG; you have 15 card "blocks" you choose from instead of individual cards, and they are all in the base game (so no boosters). Sounds interesting but he's been stupidly evasive on details unless you want to cough up $$$.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Gutter Owl posted:

Go read his blog, it's basically a Magic-like deckbuilder where you happen to have your own Kingdom pre-constructed. Which is kinda cool, imo.

[edit] Also I like the block-based deck construction of Star Wars LCG, so it's extra 6% cool for me. Not $25 for alpha cool, though.

[edit 2] As in, he explained the deck building mechanic three days ago.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 1, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Texmo posted:

For goons that have played both Chaos in the Old World and also Forbidden Stars, are they both similar enough that it would be a waste to get both, or are they different enough games that it won't feel like they're treading on one another's toes? If you found them similar, which one did you prefer, and why?

They're very, very different games. Forbidden Stars is a straight up war game, whereas Chaos is a pure area control/semi-euro for all but one player (and that player isn't really playing a traditional wargame either). Both games are great, and both games are worth owning if their mechanics and theme appeal to you. Chaos is also worth owning just because it's one of the most asymmetrically designed board games available.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

The End posted:

Vastly different games. Chaos has multiple paths to victory and some very 'euro' sensibilities that make it a pretty snappy 90 minute game that generally feels very constrained in terms of the variety of strategies available to you (if you want to win), whereas Forbidden Stars is a big, 3-4 hour long, space war game where you have a very wide decision space and can very easily screw yourself over three turns away with bad strategic decisions made in the first or second turn. Both are great, FS is greaterer.

Paradoxish posted:

They're very, very different games. Forbidden Stars is a straight up war game, whereas Chaos is a pure area control/semi-euro for all but one player (and that player isn't really playing a traditional wargame either). Both games are great, and both games are worth owning if their mechanics and theme appeal to you. Chaos is also worth owning just because it's one of the most asymmetrically designed board games available.

Both sound good, but considering I already own and love Twilight Imperium and Kemet, it sounds like I'd be better off picking up CitOW first, and Forbidden Stars.... oh who am I kidding, probably a week or two later. As far as collection-variety goes though, CitOW is sounding like it's the buy-me-first game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Some weirdo wrote a review on BGG about Earth Reborn pissing off feminists by having a hot woman in it, if you have an account and want to downvote this stupid poo poo into oblivion I personally would appreciate it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1425585/earth-reborn-doesnt-you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Some weirdo wrote a review on BGG about Earth Reborn pissing off feminists by having a hot woman in it, if you have an account and want to downvote this stupid poo poo into oblivion I personally would appreciate it.

I'll grant it's tasteless, but if "a person wrote a sexist thing on BGG" were enough to warrant sounding the goon horn we'd have to be down voting things 24/7 over there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo, Boardgamer Gate has arrived!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't worry, all out down votes will sure show him!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Looks like he deleted it after realizing it was a dumb thing to put in a review.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sloober posted:

Looks like he deleted it after realizing it was a dumb thing to put in a review.

Well it's now being auto-hidden but I removed my negative vote after he edited it out.

Edit: uh, no, it's all still there?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The review is not gone, it's just auto-hidden for most people because of negative votes. You can hit a little "show hidden" button to make it appear.

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't worry, all out down votes will sure show him!

Especially because most of the direct responses are "great review!" with no mention of the feminist comments. I'm sure the guy is real broken up about it. I doubt he even knows why his review is being down voted.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Well it's now being auto-hidden but I removed my negative vote after he edited it out.

Edit: uh, no, it's all still there?

shows how much i use BGG

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah Chomp's right, you should probably un-downvote the guy if you did it. As I read down further into the comments he's just a creepy troll weirdo and sadly that kind of poo poo flies around there. I really tilted at a windmill there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I picked up the Argent: Mancers of the University expansion, and oh my god :stare: there’s just so much poo poo in this box, I can’t wait to play the game with all the expansion crap. I didn’t think the game needed more variety, and yet here I am super pumped about it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I picked up the Argent: Mancers of the University expansion, and oh my god :stare: there’s just so much poo poo in this box, I can’t wait to play the game with all the expansion crap. I didn’t think the game needed more variety, and yet here I am super pumped about it.

The one thing I noticed, in general, is that research is MUCH MUCH easier to get and going for treasures/consumables is slightly more rewarding than without the expansion.

Also the Technomancy Legendary spell is pretty drat useful.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speak of the devil, I'm gonna be bringing Mancers along with Argent to board game night this evening.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, the expansion is good.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You're making me want to pick the expansion up already and i haven't even gotten my Argent copy to the table yet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is Dropzone Commander (a UK miniatures game) at least playable without e.g. tearing one's hair out?

I spotted a starter kit box at a local store abs it looks like it packs in quite a lot of stuff, including nice looking buildings.

I kind of want to pick it up to see what exactly is inside and how they did it but I would rather do that with some vague assurance that the underlying game isn't junk though :goleft:

Also a goony looking dude showed up to our meetup with a pony shirt and Tanto Cuore under his arm :wmwink:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Sloober posted:

You're making me want to pick the expansion up already and i haven't even gotten my Argent out of the box yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mister Sinewave posted:

Is Dropzone Commander (a UK miniatures game) at least playable without e.g. tearing one's hair out?

I spotted a starter kit box at a local store abs it looks like it packs in quite a lot of stuff, including nice looking buildings.

I kind of want to pick it up to see what exactly is inside and how they did it but I would rather do that with some vague assurance that the underlying game isn't junk though :goleft:

Also a goony looking dude showed up to our meetup with a pony shirt and Tanto Cuore under his arm :wmwink:

Yeah it's a pretty solid game. Focus is on mobility via drop ships to complete / fight over objectives.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sloober posted:

You're making me want to pick the expansion up already and i haven't even gotten my Argent copy to the table yet.

I DO recommend playing the recommended set up WITHOUT expansion to learn the game. Its not to hard to pick up, but it is hard to get used to all the stuff going on every turn without the game easing you in like that. Once you have done that, then you can use the expansion.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

S.J. posted:

Yeah it's a pretty solid game. Focus is on mobility via drop ships to complete / fight over objectives.

Great, thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear :sun:

I love the discovery part of new games and seeing how different people decided to do different things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Madmarker posted:

I DO recommend playing the recommended set up WITHOUT expansion to learn the game. Its not to hard to pick up, but it is hard to get used to all the stuff going on every turn without the game easing you in like that. Once you have done that, then you can use the expansion.

What are the best bits of the expansion to start out using in your opinion? We have a few games under our belts already.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

What are the best bits of the expansion to start out using in your opinion? We have a few games under our belts already.

Orange Wizards and everything that goes with them, vault cards and supporters and spells and whatnot.
The new bell tower cards are really great too, I don't play without them unless it's someone's very first game.

The new rooms and things are nice but complex, you can leave those out for a while.

orange wizards are the big draw, even if stuff like Synthesis is cool. The wizards really make spells ridiculously viable [even at round 1!] at the cost of money.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly they are all pretty drat equal in my opinion. If you know what you are doing then you can pretty much introduce it all at once.

However, If I were to dribble things in I would probably introduce all the new items, spells, mages, vault cards (other than synthesis treasures) and the Technomancy consortium voter all at once. Then I would introduce the Archmages staff and the Archmages Staff Consortium voter. Then the new tiles (some of them like the Golem Factory are very powerful and unique) and the Synthesis Treasures. Lastly I would introduce the new Bell Tower Cards.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't really like the Archmage staff but everything else seemed like a pretty solid addition that expands the game horizontally

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I didn't really like the Archmage staff but everything else seemed like a pretty solid addition that expands the game horizontally

The Archmage staff is just super powerful and fragile. If you like the aggression and direct player interaction that can happen in Argent, then it is a wonderful addition. If you dislike that, then I can certainly understand not using it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Yeah i'm getting it to the table tomorrow or in the next few days for sure. I would have to order the exp online since no one around here even carries the base game.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What I like doing for peoples first games, and I think it's in the rulebook as a variant maybe? Is instead of drafting, just give everyone one of the 5 coloured wizards each. That way everyone sees how they interact and things, I guess? It's good.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

I just threw this game in the trash yesterday unplayed. The_General recommend it and after opening it and finding an entire forest of cardboard inside(and not the good wargame kind) I should have known better right then and there and just counted myself lucky for only paying like 30% of MSRP and trashing it but ehh what the gently caress. So after spending like 2 hours popping out all this poo poo and putting everything in the box in a sorting tray designed as some sort of nazi mind torture I read the rules. I laughed knowing that no one would ever actually want to play this monstrosity its too ameritrash to be played by my serious game friends and too complex to be played by my ameritrash/light game friends. It's a game divided in all the wrong ways. So I threw it on the shelf pissed in general's cornflakes about it but he was too high to care and forgot about it until the great Ogre Designer's Edition debacle of 2015 happened on my game shelves and I needed to justify the room ogre took up. So sacrifices to the angry gods had to be made

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Source your quotes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Source your quotes

"I just threw this game in the trash yesterday unplayed. The_General recommend it and after opening it and finding an entire forest of cardboard inside(and not the good wargame kind) I should have known better right then and there and just counted myself lucky for only paying like 30% of MSRP and trashing it but ehh what the gently caress. So after spending like 2 hours popping out all this poo poo and putting everything in the box in a sorting tray designed as some sort of nazi mind torture I read the rules. I laughed knowing that no one would ever actually want to play this monstrosity its too ameritrash to be played by my serious game friends and too complex to be played by my ameritrash/light game friends. It's a game divided in all the wrong ways. So I threw it on the shelf pissed in general's cornflakes about it but he was too high to care and forgot about it until the great Ogre Designer's Edition debacle of 2015 happened on my game shelves and I needed to justify the room ogre took up. So sacrifices to the angry gods had to be made"

- 4outof5

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I won $110 in poker tonight and like multiplayer wargames (>2p) but already have Forbidden Stars.

What should I blow my money on?

yes obviously I have A&A what a dumb question

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

The Mantis posted:

I won $110 in poker tonight and like multiplayer wargames (>2p) but already have Forbidden Stars.

What should I blow my money on?

yes obviously I have A&A what a dumb question

please stop trolling by calling those wargames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

What I like doing for peoples first games, and I think it's in the rulebook as a variant maybe? Is instead of drafting, just give everyone one of the 5 coloured wizards each. That way everyone sees how they interact and things, I guess? It's good.

Absolutely do this, it's what I've been doing when teaching and it works wonderfully