Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

MizPiz posted:

I can't decide if I do or don't want what happened to Burning Man to happen to the Gathering of the Juggalos.

https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/juggalos-and-the-american-caste-system/
https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/juggalos-a-less-theoretical-analysis/

Apparently hating juggaloes comes from anti-white tendencies, and is a thing of the cathedral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MizPiz posted:

I can't decide if I do or don't want what happened to Burning Man to happen to the Gathering of the Juggalos.

What happened to Burning Man?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What these idiots should be doing is examining Violent J's exception to the second law of Thermodynamics, to wit, that "wicked clowns will never die."

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's completely commercialized by mainstream interests now.

See also: http://www.salon.com/2015/08/27/why_the_rich_love_burning_man_partner/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

http://blog.leadgenius.com/prospecting-leads-at-burning-man/

lol at this article calling the TEDx there 'too commercial'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

It's completely commercialized by mainstream interests now.

See also: http://www.salon.com/2015/08/27/why_the_rich_love_burning_man_partner/

Fun fact: It's also where billionaire tech asshats go to feel like they aren't totally isolated from the world

Also this year it was inundated by MILLIONS OF BUGS

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Heresiarch posted:

I actually own a Feazell sketch I got from him at a con in '92-ish. The difference between Feazell's stuff and something like xkcd is pretty substantial.

Yeah, but remember that he drew a stick figure comic specifically to show people "hey you can do comics too!" So Munroe did and it was a huge hit.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Wesley Morganston posted:

I made the mistake of believing I was a Brahmin, going to a very strongly Brahmin college, and maintaining some Vaisya ideals, so I was treated as an Antyaja, by which I mean I was accused of being a member of the KKK, told that America and the world would be better off without people like me, and forced out after one semester

Wesley Morganston posted:

And as for the charge that Insane Clown Posse “sounds no different than the usual black rap”… well, I’d like to see Soulja Boy do this. Or even this.

This is so revealing, I love it.

:allears:

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Sep 1, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
What is he ranting about in relation to Brahmin? All goggle is turning up is a line of hand bags and fallout New Vegas articles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

What is he ranting about in relation to Brahmin? All goggle is turning up is a line of hand bags and fallout New Vegas articles.

You see America has a caste system and we have to use the terms from India's caste system because it makes our writing more impenetrable and academic sounding! So basically he went to a college for one particular caste but they kicked him out because he was too edgy (read: an overtly racist asshat).

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Klaus88 posted:

He's referring to the caste system of India. If I had to guess what he's arguing it's that white men aren't actually at the top of America because he can still be socially ostracized for being racist.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

It's about the old Hindu caste system in India.

Wikipedia posted:

Varna is a Sanskrit word which means colour or class. Ancient Hindu literature classified all humankind, and all created beings, in principle into four varnas:

the Brahmins: priests, teachers and preachers.
the Kshatriyas: kings, governors, warriors and soldiers.
the Vaishyas: cattle herders, agriculturists, artisans and merchants.
the Shudras: labourers and service providers.

So his line means something like "I thought I was a (high status) going to a (high status) school, but holding onto beliefs of (middle status) made them treat me as a (untouchable status), and they forced me out after a semester." Which comes off as a nonsensical application of an extinct social ordering system to obscure his point behind a bunch of "smart" words.

DarklyDreaming posted:

he's arguing it's that white men aren't actually at the top of America because he can still be socially ostracized for being racist.

Bingo. Well, he could be arguing that people percieve his beliefs to be racist (on par with the KKK according to him) but they're wrong because "I don't explicitly use racial slurs!".

Wales Grey has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Sep 1, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'd love to know what he did. There was a white separatist who went to my school for a semester before getting kicked out. He gave an interview to the school paper where he said it was unfair that people called him a white supremacist when he was really a white separatist and said that the campus police were harassing him.

He got kicked out for making knives and keeping them under his mattress.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
He's referring to Moldbug's American castes, which is racist, and is pure supposition, with a mix of Moldbug's own brand of dog-whistling (which is human audible, but yet pretends it isn't, if it even cares.) I don't even know what to say about it. It's not something you can prove or disprove, just soak in the bullshit nature of it all.

Moldbug posted:

In the Dalit caste, status among men is defined by power, wealth and sexual success, among women by attractiveness and popularity. The favored occupation of Dalit men is crime, preferably of the organized variety. However, Dalit criminals are not generally psychopathic; they perceive crime as guerrilla warfare against an unjust society. Dalit women may support themselves by crime, welfare (which they consider a right), or payments from men. Both male and female Dalits may occasionally support themselves by conventional employment, but this is usually in jobs that other castes (except Helots) would consider demeaning, and Dalits share this association. The Dalit caste is not monolithic; it is divided into a number of ethnic subcastes, such as African-American, Mexican, etc.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Funny, I thought the majority of people did crime when driven to a corner. So the Dalit are rebels but not really and aesthetes but not really?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Merdifex posted:

He's referring to Moldbug's American castes, which is racist, and is pure supposition, with a mix of Moldbug's own brand of dog-whistling (which is human audible, but yet pretends it isn't, if it even cares.) I don't even know what to say about it. It's not something you can prove or disprove, just soak in the bullshit nature of it all.

That's not really too different from ironic(?) GBS classism, except it throws race on the pile.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lancemantis posted:

http://blog.leadgenius.com/prospecting-leads-at-burning-man/

lol at this article calling the TEDx there 'too commercial'

I for one am shocked that an event costing hundreds of dollars and requiring a week off work attracts rich white people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Reminder: LW people treat Wesley like he's the smart Nrx who's playing an entirely different game from people like Jim. This is the best of the best, according to them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Merdifex posted:

Moldy Bugs posted:

In the Dalit caste, status among men is defined by power, wealth and sexual success, among women by attractiveness and popularity.

I love this sentence the most because it's really really transparently viewing the world through the eyes of a nerd in high school who gets beat up by those mean jocks who date cheerleaders.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I love this sentence the most because it's really really transparently viewing the world through the eyes of a nerd in high school who gets beat up by those mean jocks who date cheerleaders.

It sounds more to me like the Black Brute stereotype for the men. The women get hit with the Jezebel stereotype.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Reminder: LW people treat Wesley like he's the smart Nrx who's playing an entirely different game from people like Jim. This is the best of the best, according to them.

I am not too fond of continental philosophy in general, but it baffles me that they'd point to anyone other than Nick Land for this.

Woolie Wool posted:

It sounds more to me like the Black Brute stereotype for the men. The women get hit with the Jezebel stereotype.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Especially when he made outright references to ethnic groups.

quote:

Funny, I thought the majority of people did crime when driven to a corner. So the Dalit are rebels but not really and aesthetes but not really?

It is so painfully obvious that these DE writers have never worried about money in their life or, god forbid, where their next meal will come from.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Sep 2, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Everything about this text makes me LOL. It's perfect. Source.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Merdifex posted:

So basically upper-middle, lower and middle classes designated by wealth, an immigrant 'class', and a British-style upper class. Amazing. Hold the presses folks, we've got the right-wing Karl Marx over here

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Everything about this text makes me LOL. It's perfect. Source.
Atheist libertarian MRA. The trifecta.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hate Fibration posted:

I am not too fond of continental philosophy in general, but it baffles me that they'd point to anyone other than Nick Land for this.

That's because they are not too fond of Continental Philosophy in general either.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
These four brave heroes shall rebuild the great Civilization of Cato and Carlyle.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Curvature of Earth posted:

"thinkers"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I read that whole post and still have no idea what the name is supposed to mean. Jezebel was spiteful and bloodthirsty, not promiscuous.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"Jezebel" has meant "brazen hussy" in English since like the 16th century.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TetsuoTW posted:

"Jezebel" has meant "brazen hussy" in English since like the 16th century.
Well that's just dumb, but I guess it's to be expected.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

But NO POOFTAHS.

(trads being consistently the biggest degens, while degens themselves tend to live actual lives of suburban rectitude)

#degeneracy doesn't come for free

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that they had to explicitly say it's not an M4M gay hookup group, I wonder why they put that in :allears:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like that they had to explicitly say it's not an M4M gay hookup group, I wonder why they put that in :allears:
Yeah, the "we're not Christians" and "we're not PUAs" stuff seems like a pretty necessary clarification, given how often MRA-ism latches onto those, but then you get to "we're men occupying the same space NO HOMO NO HOMO NO HOMO" and you just have to stop and think for a second.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Well that's just dumb, but I guess it's to be expected.

In reactionary (Dark Enlightenment or just plain old reactionism) thought all the sins and character flaws of women are connected directly to their vaginas.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

In reactionary (Dark Enlightenment or just plain old reactionism) thought all the sins and character flaws of women are connected directly to their vaginas.
Yes, that's why it's to be expected. :sigh:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I read that whole post and still have no idea what the name is supposed to mean. Jezebel was spiteful and bloodthirsty, not promiscuous.

Spiteful is definitely true, but she was bloodthirsty only inthat she wasn't above having people killed to get what she wanted (which by old testament standards was incredibly tame). On the other hand, she's basically been used as the symbol for a power-hungry whore since she was introduced in Hebrew texts. Basically, she's the model that Neoreactionaries think every woman with ambition follows.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

That's because they are not too fond of Continental Philosophy in general either.

So far the closest I've seen to any engagement with continental philosophy (aside from blanket dismissals of philosophy as a discipline) was Alexander's embarrassing attempt to disprove Hegel based on what he read in Singer's short introductory book on Marx and some random internet quotes. Some of the lowest effort -> maximum smugness I've seen any of them try to pull.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Nick Land was a professor of philosophy before he ruined himself on club drugs and fled to China to write travel guides and be a racist bloviating fuckwad.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nick Land was a professor of philosophy before he ruined himself on club drugs and fled to China to write travel guides and be a racist bloviating fuckwad.

That story about his final days before his breakdown never ceases to amuse me. How the only "work" he used to do was loving around on his computer late at night jacked up on amphetamines. Also how the last sighting of him was him shopping for pot noodles and a cabbage, so he "doesn't get scurvy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Woolie Wool posted:

You're correct, but in this case it's MORE DIRECTLY because in 2 Kings 9:30 "she painted her face" and in previous time periods wearing makeup was associated with prostitutes