Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I had some Millennial HVAC guys over to replace my old furnace today since I couldn't find a youtube for doing it myself. They were hardworking, courteous, and they didn't look at their phone once while I was talking to them. I think that I'm coming around on this issue.

I mean, you fags are still terrible, but these guys were okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
theres a cadre of goons who have always been weirdly old to be here

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
like the pedo pensioner

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hopper posted:

See this is what's wrong with society today. Instead of teaching students proper behaviour, in this case not to walk and text at the same time, they cater to this unnecessary and at times (especially on stairs) dangerous behaviour by expressively allocating a lane for it. Seriously can anyone explain the benefit of this compared to teaching people the correct stairway rule "don't walk and text on a busy stairwell".
This kind of "tolerance" teaches an already very self absorbed young generation that whatever you do is OK as long as you do it long enough so that other people simply give up and let you do it.
I know in this case it is mostly "harmless" but it set a wrong example if you ask me.

Please tell me I am not the only 34 year old one who thinks this way.

It says right in that article that it was done tongue-in-cheek, isn't taken seriously by students or administration, and was basically put it for the colors and the joke rather than actual function.

This is immediately made clear if you actually read the article.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
JOKES

in my universities?!

i have the flutters

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baracula posted:

Don't u have a selfie to take?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Darth123123 posted:

Don't u have a selfie to take?

lmao at u if u cant take selfies and post at the same time

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Baracula posted:

I'm 31.

I'd like to see the bell curve of posters' ages, particularly by sub-forum.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

blarzgh posted:

I'm 31.

I'd like to see the bell curve of posters' ages, particularly by sub-forum.

31 is probably exactly the average age.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lol at olds thinking they should be respected when they are bad at their jobs. This is especially true with salesmen. I had a sales guy try to give me some wise words on how to do my job because he didn't communicate that his order was urgent, so I worked other orders whose salesmen did communicate their urgency first. He thought he was laying down some real truth bombs, but it really just translated to "wah wah, always do mine first!" Entitled rear end boomers think they're goddam Confucius because they've spent a few decades watching TV.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

31 is probably exactly the average age.

I feel like thats true, but observer bias, yadda yadda.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The 14 year olds who talk to us think we are old and dumb and wrong.

Those stupid young kids just don't know any better though because they don't have as much experience as us.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radiatinglines posted:

Lol at olds thinking they should be respected when they are bad at their jobs. This is especially true with salesmen. I had a sales guy try to give me some wise words on how to do my job because he didn't communicate that his order was urgent, so I worked other orders whose salesmen did communicate their urgency first. He thought he was laying down some real truth bombs, but it really just translated to "wah wah, always do mine first!" Entitled rear end boomers think they're goddam Confucius because they've spent a few decades watching TV.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lol at millennials who blame the baby boomers for taking out 50 grand in student loans for a sociology degree

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

gently caress YOU DAD

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
just get a degree, it doesn't matter what!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir_Charles posted:

lol at millennials who blame the baby boomers for taking out 50 grand in student loans for a sociology degree

the problem is more that every other western country has effectively free or ridiculously cheap education costs and we're the only country where you have to take out a $50k loan for a degree everyone in your life as a child/teen has been telling you that you need to get.

not like I was ever told in high school to stay the gently caress away from liberal arts degrees unless I wanted to be in massive debt; all you ever hear is how people with degrees make more money on average regardless of what the degree is.

tuition in germany cost me $75 euro a semester and it cost me $4000k+ a quarter (3 academic quarters a year) in a UC here in california. and that's not even talking about UCLA or Berkley's tuition

UCLA estimates costs of $28k+ a year after everything just to go to school; it's madness. In Germany I was paying a total of 5k/yr euros for tuition, housing (which was my own studio apartment), and food

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 1, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing worse than a millennial is their offspring.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Do we still got a fat thread?

I cant hate on people based on their age really cuz you cant control that.

This is a very millenial thing of me

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What we really need is a salesman hate thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radiatinglines posted:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ork of Fiction posted:

I had some Millennial HVAC guys over to replace my old furnace today since I couldn't find a youtube for doing it myself. They were hardworking, courteous, and they didn't look at their phone once while I was talking to them. I think that I'm coming around on this issue.

Because they have jobs and aren't above a hard days work op

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

blugu64 posted:

Because they have jobs and aren't above a hard days work op

Broken clock

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWAQ255qhs

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Well at least you're keeping track of the score.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ork of Fiction posted:

If they are doing HVAC then they aren't the kind of millienial this thread is about. this thread is for trust fund babies.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

blarzgh posted:

Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty by not being born a negro, irish, or chinese.

this is objectively false since every old person i know is irish

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if they're doing HVAC work it's probably because Millennials go to college to study Philosophy and Art and Women's Studies instead of useful things

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sir_Charles posted:

lol at boomers who blame millennials for getting junk like participation awards during their youth

like what generation actually came up with the idea of handing out token medals to lovely kids and who actually did the awarding

was it the millennials??

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

hard counter posted:

lol at boomers who blame millennials for getting junk like participation awards during their youth

like what generation actually came up with the idea of handing out token medals to lovely kids and who actually did the awarding

was it the millennials??

Yeah that one is my favorite.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

yo the idea of generational stereotypes is hella dumb

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Sir_Charles posted:

I was born in 87 and feel the same way. Having social media in high school or earlier seems to be a defining feature of millennials but we didn't really have that.

84 and my friends and I had IRC in high school

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Oh man these millennials!

https://youtu.be/yTKht7E1Brc

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

david... posted:

yo the idea of generational stereotypes is hella dumb

Then how do you explain that virtually all research studies where college students were given personality tests found that narcissism is on the rise

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

Sorry for this late reply.

I have really strong values I hold dearly, and a distaste for the commercialization of the world is one of them. I agree with your points about how corporations use a veneer of affability to hide an alienating production process.

However I think that you thinking that millenials are somehow unaware that corporations manipulate them is extremely funny. There isn't a person in america over the age of 14 who isn't aware of the truthbombs you are dropping

Thanks for getting back to me. Anyway man, here's the thing, millennials appear to like the constant corporate rim jobs they're being offered. I don't think you could say that a generation before or since has been so ready to have their lives engineered around consumption. They're totally credulous and dissent is viewed as abnormal, where, for gen X and before, dissent, even if it was also often commercialized, was valued.

In this day and age, you're considered hosed up if you can't enjoy these pre-formatted stories about your life and how great things are. It's like a big wave of possible dissention was coming, promising to wash away some of the bullshit, and then these idiots were born and just started making GBS threads more.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

blarzgh posted:

The biggest and maybe only real difference is that Millennials think "respect" means "giving/getting what you want." Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty. To older generations, 'acceptance' as a part of life, in part because there will always be things that can't be changed, and in part because the value of the struggle is most often greater than the value of avoidance. Suffering through some hardships makes you better in the end. To Millennials, its a concept that's been inverted.

Millennials reject that notion, that anyone should ever have to face discomfort, failure, or disappointment of any kind. The leaders of their zeitgeist grew up never being told, "no" and the rest latch on to the notion, in response to whatever particular discomfort they'd like to avoid. The natural immutability of some things, like simple biology, or the inability to control other people's minds, causes the majority of the mental gymnastics in their philosophies.

I think older generations learned that occasional disappointment makes people stronger and better, and sometimes someone is going to tell you, "no." Millennials didn't.

this is accurate, except perhaps for valorizing not getting what you want, which can also make you a greedy fucker

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not seeing enough .jpgs here

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Beef Turret posted:

Then how do you explain that virtually all research studies where college students were given personality tests found that narcissism is on the rise

it's on the rise with every generation because everyone has like three cameras with them all the time dummy

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Monk posted:

Yep. Lots of those in IT. What do you mean we should not be using telnet32? Have you all lost your cotton picking minds? How else are we going to access the cobol mainframe?

Yeah, uh..nobody accesses that thing anymore but you, so we're shutting you down.

Union says it stays up until I retire.
lol

e:
ALLAHU AKBAR

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Moridin920 posted:

tuition in germany cost me $75 euro a semester and it cost me $4000k+ a quarter (3 academic quarters a year) in a UC here in california. and that's not even talking about UCLA or Berkley's tuition

UCLA estimates costs of $28k+ a year after everything just to go to school; it's madness. In Germany I was paying a total of 5k/yr euros for tuition, housing (which was my own studio apartment), and food

:stare:

I wonder if they let drop outs finish degrees...

• Locked thread