Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

When I first saw the 100 point scale I thought it was overkill but teachers do evaluate papers and school grades on that scale. Most people don't review films rigorously like they're grading a paper doling out specific penalties and infractions however.

I'd never use a numerical scale like that but I do like seeing what films people put at the extreme ends of their lists.

I may have to start using this site.

I feel like 100 point scale would also be convenient when you have initially given two films the same score, but you like one a tiny bit more than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bolek posted:

Why oh why do these websites have rankings out of a hundred. What kind of maniac goes "hmm yes, this is a 35"

I looked it up and I have two 35s. One is First Knight and the other is Ghoulies. Feels about right.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always have a hard time grading movies on like Netflix and stuff because I don't really think about the quality of the movie like that. If I would ever become a film critic I would never give out stars just a "yes" or a "no" on whether people should see it. Which is probably already someone's gimmick so it's good that I don't plan on becoming a film critic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I would ever become a film critic I would never give out stars just a "yes" or a "no" on whether people should see it. Which is probably already someone's gimmick so it's good that I don't plan on becoming a film critic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I actually really like a 4 star system, 1 star =terrible, 2 stars=okay, fans of the particular genre might get more out of it, 3 stars=really good. 4 stars=everyone should see this film. no half stars, 0 stars =an affront to humanity/too weird for the author to comprehend.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I actually really like a 4 star system, 1 star =terrible, 2 stars=okay, fans of the particular genre might get more out of it, 3 stars=really good. 4 stars=everyone should see this film. no half stars, 0 stars =an affront to humanity/too weird for the author to comprehend.

Agreed

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

That's the great thing about Criticker's system, if that's how you feel then you can just rank everything 0/25/50/75/100 and it will still work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bolek posted:

Why oh why do these websites have rankings out of a hundred. What kind of maniac goes "hmm yes, this is a 35"

I rate in increments of five because I think it's an accurate method.

100 is relative perfection, 50 means I'm completely apathetic, and 0 is worthless in every way. I rate a ton of films at 80 because that's kind of the average for the quality of films. The closer it is to 50, the less I care about it. So, a film with a 55 would be one I have no feelings about except maybe one little bit that I thought was clever. That reasoning is why I didn't give Christmas With the Kranks a 0 because it had something I liked lost within a sea of evil.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
What I end up doing is rating a film at a number, approximately where I feel it belongs. Then, if it falls on the same rating as a movie I like a bit more or less, I remove or give it a couple points.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

I rate in increments of five because I think it's an accurate method.

100 is relative perfection, 50 means I'm completely apathetic, and 0 is worthless in every way. I rate a ton of films at 80 because that's kind of the average for the quality of films. The closer it is to 50, the less I care about it. So, a film with a 55 would be one I have no feelings about except maybe one little bit that I thought was clever. That reasoning is why I didn't give Christmas With the Kranks a 0 because it had something I liked lost within a sea of evil.

This is how I do it. I bet a good 90% of the stuff I watch on Netflix is rated 4 stars because sure I enjoyed it why not. 0 is reserved for base incompetence like Cool World.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dr Monkeysee posted:

This is how I do it. I bet a good 90% of the stuff I watch on Netflix is rated 4 stars because sure I enjoyed it why not. 0 is reserved for base incompetence like Cool World.

Cool World is a typical 50 for me. I can't think of any emotions I had from watching it.

My 0s are films that I find morally wrong. They're cancerous to the art of cinema. The Princess Diaries, Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Ghost Dad, and Nothing But Trouble to name a few.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Heteroy posted:

What I end up doing is rating a film at a number, approximately where I feel it belongs. Then, if it falls on the same rating as a movie I like a bit more or less, I remove or give it a couple points.

I do something similar. I also give myself a ratings cap when I've just seen a movie for it the first time. Like, I'll never give a movie I've just seen more than an 85. If I want to mark it as truly great or life-changing, then I need to think about it for a while with some distance, and/or see it a second time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Egbert Souse posted:

Cool World is a typical 50 for me. I can't think of any emotions I had from watching it.

My 0s are films that I find morally wrong. They're cancerous to the art of cinema. The Princess Diaries, Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Ghost Dad, and Nothing But Trouble to name a few.

I haven't seen it in ages but what's so terrible about Princess Diaries?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I haven't seen it in ages but what's so terrible about Princess Diaries?

It basically says happiness is achieved by stripping yourself of identity to look pretty. They make Anne Hathaway look nerdy with dark hair and thick eyebrows only for her to be changed into a beautiful blonde princess.

It's an evil film, whether it was intentional or not. Herr Goebbels would have loved it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

It basically says happiness is achieved by stripping yourself of identity to look pretty. They make Anne Hathaway look nerdy with dark hair and thick eyebrows only for her to be changed into a beautiful blonde princess.

It's an evil film, whether it was intentional or not. Herr Goebbels would have loved it.

It's a lesson reinforced by a lot more than that movie, though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

She changes into a beautiful brunette princess, thank you very much! <:mad:>

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If active moral evil is a prime criterion, where does actual Nazi propaganda fall on that scale?

Edit: Like, those are all lovely disposable comedies that most people forgot about a week after release

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 1, 2015

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly it seems kind of petulant to me to slam a movie simply because you disagree with it. I mean, you're certainly entitled to that and it's not something I can really argue with, but personally I usually find movies that share different morals than mine intriguing (usually).

If I were to describe a movie as 'immoral', I'd probably be referring to the act of making the movie rather than its inherent values of the story. Funny Games might qualify as I find that to be a movie abusive to its audience (a while ago I was a bit taken aback when someone used the term 'abusive' to describe a movie, but thinking about it Funny Games is one I'd use the label on).

Not sure if anyone would agree with me on this but I've always been put-off by Starship Troopers being a deliberate reversal of the source material's themes, and I say that as someone who has no affection or even experiene with the property (what was it, a book?). Like, it'd be great if Verehoven made his own satirical anti-Fascist space bug war movie in response, or even a direct parody, but it strikes me childish to deliberately remove and reverse an established work's meaning out of spite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lizardman posted:

Honestly it seems kind of petulant to me to slam a movie simply because you disagree with it. I mean, you're certainly entitled to that and it's not something I can really argue with, but personally I usually find movies that share different morals than mine intriguing (usually).

If I were to describe a movie as 'immoral', I'd probably be referring to the act of making the movie rather than its inherent values of the story. Funny Games might qualify as I find that to be a movie abusive to its audience (a while ago I was a bit taken aback when someone used the term 'abusive' to describe a movie, but thinking about it Funny Games is one I'd use the label on).

Not sure if anyone would agree with me on this but I've always been put-off by Starship Troopers being a deliberate reversal of the source material's themes, and I say that as someone who has no affection or even experiene with the property (what was it, a book?). Like, it'd be great if Verehoven made his own satirical anti-Fascist space bug war movie in response, or even a direct parody, but it strikes me childish to deliberately remove and reverse an established work's meaning out of spite.

Theoretically it started as a different movie and one of the producers noticed the similarities to the book, so they bought the rights, changed a few names and ran through a couple more drafts. Aside from the very beginning of the movie, some of the names, and his girlfriend being a pilot the movie is very, very different from the book.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ Huh, that sounds quite a bit more innocent than how I'd always understood it, which was that it was from the get-go an adaptation and the filmmakers kind of going "yeah, no" to the material and deliberately changing it. Interesting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll admit it's been a really long time since I've seen the film, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember it.

Mrs. Doubtfire is still an evil movie, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I'll admit it's been a really long time since I've seen the film, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember it.

The only thing that would make it better is if the parents' divorce was the kids' fault and it made Robin Williams not love them any more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

lizardman posted:

^ Huh, that sounds quite a bit more innocent than how I'd always understood it, which was that it was from the get-go an adaptation and the filmmakers kind of going "yeah, no" to the material and deliberately changing it. Interesting.

I don't have a source for that, but I seem to remember it, and, having read the book, they are very different beasts. The books have a third alien race that we are allied with, but humans don't actually give a poo poo about them, so we'll nuke a city full of them, as long as it also kills a bunch of bugs.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

What's wrong with Mrs. Doubtfire?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

The only thing that would make it better is if the parents' divorce was the kids' fault and it made Robin Williams not love them any more.

And Pierce Brosnan's character died from his pepper allergy. The cops are on the lookout for Mrs. Doubtfire, so he stages her demise, but the children witness it on TV.

Instead of bringing Mrs. Doubtfire to TV, he invents a new character. Rainbow Randolph.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

What's wrong with Mrs. Doubtfire?

Where do I start?

Robin Williams' character is an unlikable jerk, the conceit of a divorced father dressing up as an elderly woman to be with his children is creepy, he tries to kill his ex-wife's fiancee, and the children find out who Mrs. Doubtfire is because they look at him taking a piss. Also, he's somehow able to have ultra-realistic makeup from a mask that just slips on and off. And his wife, children, and case worker are apparently too stupid to notice. And after all that, on top of trying to kill the fiancee, they still give the creep limited visitation!

Or you can just watch the Mrs. Featherbottom episodes on Arrested Development to get an idea of what's wrong with it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Where do I start?

Robin Williams' character is an unlikable jerk, the conceit of a divorced father dressing up as an elderly woman to be with his children is creepy, he tries to kill his ex-wife's fiancee, and the children find out who Mrs. Doubtfire is because they look at him taking a piss. Also, he's somehow able to have ultra-realistic makeup from a mask that just slips on and off. And his wife, children, and case worker are apparently too stupid to notice. And after all that, on top of trying to kill the fiancee, they still give the creep limited visitation!

Or you can just watch the Mrs. Featherbottom episodes on Arrested Development to get an idea of what's wrong with it.

So, tactical realism?

Also, Arrested Development is loving terrible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Armyman25 posted:

So, tactical realism?

Lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Armyman25 posted:

I liked Arrested Development better when it was Soap.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I still want to see the We Hate Movies vision of a Mrs. Doubtfire sequel as a psychological thriller where the daughter is pathologically incapable of having a relationship because she can never escape the idea that anybody she gets close to is going to peel their face off revealing her father underneath. And she starts seeing Mrs. Doubtfire again in the corner of her eye and is unsure if it's real or a hallucination until the end when it turns out it's her brother and he's been killing and skinning women to make his own Mrs. Doubtfire costume.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sleeveless posted:

I still want to see the We Hate Movies vision of a Mrs. Doubtfire sequel as a psychological thriller where the daughter is pathologically incapable of having a relationship because she can never escape the idea that anybody she gets close to is going to peel their face off revealing her father underneath. And she starts seeing Mrs. Doubtfire again in the corner of her eye and is unsure if it's real or a hallucination until the end when it turns out it's her brother and he's been killing and skinning women to make his own Mrs. Doubtfire costume.

Alan Moore's Mrs. Doubtfire.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
In Con Air, what type of diabetic is Baby-O suppose to be? He's perspiring heavily and near death (symptomic of hypoglycemia) yet he's looking for insulin?? Shouldn't he be looking for sugar?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Disharmony posted:

In Con Air, what type of diabetic is Baby-O suppose to be? He's perspiring heavily and near death (symptomic of hypoglycemia) yet he's looking for insulin?? Shouldn't he be looking for sugar?

Probably movie diabetic. Are the symptoms of needing insulin as dramatic in appearance.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why did vincent vega shoot marvin in the face?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zVxTeflon posted:

He's a junkie fuckup, as he demonstrates again and again during the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

As the goons say..... trigger discipline.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

Where do I start?

...How serious are we being here? I mean the entire reason the movie is a comedy is the absurdity of the premise. Sure, it gets a little "tugging on the heart strings" with the Williams' character's desire to be with his kids, I feel like it's kind of a given that his behavior would be unacceptable in real life. It's called 'farce' for a reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

lizardman posted:

...How serious are we being here? I mean the entire reason the movie is a comedy is the absurdity of the premise. Sure, it gets a little "tugging on the heart strings" with the Williams' character's desire to be with his kids, I feel like it's kind of a given that his behavior would be unacceptable in real life. It's called 'farce' for a reason.

Even if you accept the premise, Mrs. Doubtfire is a really lovely movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Even if you accept the premise, Mrs. Doubtfire is a really lovely movie.

Imagine if you took the plot of Tootsie and added children to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Imagine if you took the plot of Tootsie and added children to it.

Oh, Clifford.