Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's a giant version of a cockatiel posture and hiss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hahaha that one little hiss and flip of the crest. Your yardbirds own

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You start any poo poo

gaston will put you down.

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's a giant version of a cockatiel posture and hiss!
The "what they think they look like" picture

EDIT

I watched again and can't stop laughing at the :derptiel: look when he's glaring face on. Is there any species of parrot that doesn't look like a giant derp-eyed doofus from the front?

Tendai fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2015

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah, we will keep fostering. They are pretty good about making sure it would be a good/ better situation for the birds before moving them.

We think, that he'd go to a girl who already has 1 male eckie (they like same sex flocks/eckies are funny that way) locally, being one of two birds will probably be better for him in terms of human interaction with the good parts of bird company.

We think he was super neglected before we got him, stuck in a tiny cage, rarely taken out, etc. He's gotten a lot better with us, we just think longer term he'd be even better being 1 of 2 birds.

(The only bird we don't have out out a lot is Fred, but that's due to his abnormal fear of me, no clue why. And his wing mutilation (super thin skin over "elbow" which had a tendency to cut and bleed when he scared flaps) both prevent either of us from getting him out a lot. He lives with Ginger, who can't preen him worth a poo poo. He'll come out on the ramp and run around on the floor then climb back in or climb up on top of the cage.)

/words

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 1, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Birds are finally home! I have some complaints about their stay-like they apparently only gave one kind of fresh food (lentil sprouts today), only used one water bowl for the conures (they have two, one for dipping and one for drinking), didn't ever fill the foraging toys, and never looked at the information sheets we made because they were "hidden" in the bird supplies box (they used the ones we made for last visit), etc... but I guess they're alive and seemingly well, if angry.

They were there 15 days, it would have cost about $120/£78 converted but they discounted it to $105/£70 for loving up the drop off.

Apparently they said Ohtori is a nice friendly bird when out, but they were bitten a bunch because he wasn't out as much as he wanted. Inko was no issue and nothing was said about Steve. :derptiel:

They're being covered up now, but after coming home and being let out Ohtori straight away had a sink bath (maybe that was why he was so angry, at least one bath everyday to none), Inko just chilled out, and Steve flew away to hang out on the spiral hanging perch alone. Apparently he had issues flying, so he's going to get weighed tomorrow as when asked today he went back into his cage and didn't come out again

Birbs :3:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bitey whitey?

What about a cuddly tighty whitey?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

"Look at me, *hiss*, now look at my hat!"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Eejit posted:

Bitey whitey?

:3: :3: :3:
He's so fluffy! I bet petting him is like petting a cloud!

Battle Pigeon, that's a bummer that your information sheets got ignored. Those illustrations were so cute! How long do you think Ohtori will be mad?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

Bitey whitey?

I want a cockatoo to cuddle but I don't want a cockatoo to take care of

Where are the cockatoo cafes already, they have them for cats

It'd be all screaming and birds making GBS threads in too-expensive lattes with foam macaws drawn on them.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like the contrast between Erasmus busting mutton chops and being, "I'm just happy to be out meeting people :derptiel:" vs. Gaston's "Get the gently caress out of my face Foodbringer! You'll stand over there and like it!"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tendai posted:

I want a cockatoo to cuddle but I don't want a cockatoo to take care of

Where are the cockatoo cafes already, they have them for cats

It'd be all screaming and birds making GBS threads in too-expensive lattes with foam macaws drawn on them.

Everytime I hear about an animal cafe it's always in japan or something.

I want to pet kittens or owls or parrots while I eat overpriced food too!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shirec posted:

:3: :3: :3:
He's so fluffy! I bet petting him is like petting a cloud!

Battle Pigeon, that's a bummer that your information sheets got ignored. Those illustrations were so cute! How long do you think Ohtori will be mad?

A day or two because of being left, but longer because of hosed up sleep schedule making him hormonal. He'll probably be more bitey for a few days to a week, maybe? Once he's expressed his anger and gets back into normal schedule again he'll chill out soon enough.

They were asked about the trick sheet, said they never saw it but that he was doing (of his own accord, they wouldn't have known how to ask him) all of them except Eagle-which is weird because he does that a lot, probably since it's easy to do

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
No one threatens like Gaston!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now I can't look at him without thinking "LOOK AT MY HAT" like SaNChEzZ said

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A fighty bitey whitey

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

A highly fighty mighty bitey whitey.

Eejit posted:

Bitey whitey?

I wish I could get Mookie to do something like this. The best I can get from him is "SCRITCHES NOW, PINK MONKEY." Then his whole head goes into feather duster mode.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

He basically does that for an hour a day while I watch TV or YouTube or Twitch or whatever. Then we dance around and sing together.

Doesn't stop him from being a bit of a poo poo head in the evenings, but it certainly offsets it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sharing some sent photos

-A happy potato back home

-His cardboard tubes have been moved/possibly replaced, but to spots he couldn't properly reach. Compare the one actually next to a perch on the front right with every other one. If they replaced them then they went in the bird supply box so how did they miss the info sheets etc

Ohtori back home. I have no idea why they covered the bottom of his cage in paper towels

After his much wanted bath

Finally Inko bird. Surprisingly his kitchen roll wall is mostly intact, he usually chews through one every two or three days

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shamelessly stolen from imgur

http://i.imgur.com/MCaNzIJ.webm

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Agent355 posted:

Shamelessly stolen from imgur

http://i.imgur.com/MCaNzIJ.webm

I would like one pet owl please

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So my newly adopted Nanday conure Kiwi is here! Her former owner was super concerned with making everything comfortable and helped me set it all up, but I had some questions for the more experienced bird owners in the thread. Her owner suggested gloves and that Kiwi was really cage aggressive. She has a mirror and snuggle hut in her cage and is fed entirely on seeds. She apparently wasn't let out at all in I don't know how long. Oh, and she's 8 years old as of June. Her cage is really big and she has tons of toys.

Right now she's clambering, squeaking, and eating. I stood near her earlier and she started pinning so I backed off. I plan on going slow and letting her acclimate, but are there any other things I should do/shouldn't do?

I tried to take pictures but she jumped into her snuggle hut.
Edit: she sounds like a squeaky toy :3:

Shirec fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 2, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm not a bird-haver, but as I understand things it is clearly against the rules to post something like that without a bird picture. :colbert:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Khizan posted:

I'm not a bird-haver, but as I understand things it is clearly against the rules to post something like that without a bird picture. :colbert:

I tried so hard! I think she may be tired out, she was 6 hours traveling today. She tried to nip me when I touched near her.

My atonement until I get some actual shots, here is Sammy mid preening and all disarrayed

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

I tried so hard! I think she may be tired out, she was 6 hours traveling today. She tried to nip me when I touched near her.

My atonement until I get some actual shots, here is Sammy mid preening and all disarrayed

Ahahaha look at that goof :3: Full-body bed head.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am happy because bird pictures and bird video make me happy. Battle Pigeon, I am glad you got your babies back in three separate pieces. It sounds like Inko went on strike with the roll wall.

Today Pearl seemed very intellectually engaged. Most days she's fairly chill and quiet unless she has time alone to vocalize, but today it was "HI" and "Hiiiii" and "I like baby" (which I'm pretty sure is a Pearl-ism) as soon as I walked in, and then she came to see me. She also tried edemame for the first time ever and was generally very attentive and social, but in a non-needy way. I feel like some days she is super outgoing, in a distinct way from her usual flock behavior. No clue what prompts it though.

Also I neglected to mention that last week the Love that dare not speak its name was finally confirmed. I took a day off at home where it became clear that a human being home is a grave emergency and a true sign of the apocalypse and so everyone had to be within two feet of each other Just In Case. Which was fine, I moved Fi's cage to sofa level and read a book while Pearl hung out on my shoulder. But this was immensely stimulating to Fi, who began chattering excitedly and also shoving her backside against the cage bars. Pearl still doesn't understand that they are both birds. It's very tragic by all accounts.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

greypearl posted:

I am happy because bird pictures and bird video make me happy. Battle Pigeon, I am glad you got your babies back in three separate pieces. It sounds like Inko went on strike with the roll wall.

Today Pearl seemed very intellectually engaged. Most days she's fairly chill and quiet unless she has time alone to vocalize, but today it was "HI" and "Hiiiii" and "I like baby" (which I'm pretty sure is a Pearl-ism) as soon as I walked in, and then she came to see me. She also tried edemame for the first time ever and was generally very attentive and social, but in a non-needy way. I feel like some days she is super outgoing, in a distinct way from her usual flock behavior. No clue what prompts it though.

Also I neglected to mention that last week the Love that dare not speak its name was finally confirmed. I took a day off at home where it became clear that a human being home is a grave emergency and a true sign of the apocalypse and so everyone had to be within two feet of each other Just In Case. Which was fine, I moved Fi's cage to sofa level and read a book while Pearl hung out on my shoulder. But this was immensely stimulating to Fi, who began chattering excitedly and also shoving her backside against the cage bars. Pearl still doesn't understand that they are both birds. It's very tragic by all accounts.

i know that look

also sid came down a few days ago

he's utterly indistinguishable from the other birds (he looks like erasmus) except for 3 things

1. he only comes down once or twice a year
2. gaston is scared of him
3. he acts friendly, then bites like a motherfucker

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 2, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Kiwi sounds really cute! You might want to consider removing the mirror and the hut, though, if she's cage aggressive. Though maybe the 12+ hours of darkness will get her hormones to eventually calm down enough.

This is a great photo-does Pearl like to just sit and watch budgie antics, or generally just ignores her?

Steve and Ohtori got weighed, and they actually both lost weight. A post in June says Ohtori-108g, Steve-95g. Now Ohtori is 104g but Steve is 72g which even assuming he was fat for the previous weighing is worrying

E: Figured out how to crop on iPad

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 2, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is that a wild cockatoo?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Potato Salad posted:

Is that a wild cockatoo?

It's Deggon's middle child

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

It's Deggon's middle child
It's the Australian way

I keep coming back to this image and giggling. "HEY I LOVE YOU" from inside the cage and "BRO. BRO. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS THING." from outside it.

EDIT oh jeez :kimchi: Between this video and the Marnie videos, I'm really kind of falling in love with ringnecks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4UaLG0zY8

Tendai fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 2, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Pearl's beak is the size of Fi's head. :stare:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

This is a great photo-does Pearl like to just sit and watch budgie antics, or generally just ignores her?

Steve and Ohtori got weighed, and they actually both lost weight. A post in June says Ohtori-108g, Steve-95g. Now Ohtori is 104g but Steve is 72g which even assuming he was fat for the previous weighing is worrying

How does Steve's keel feel?

Pearl mostly ignores Fi or is more interested in the small amount of food around the cage. Once she tried to touch Fi's tail (which I intercepted), but that was a rare moment of cognizance in a sea of Huh. They may talk to each other in the day when we're gone, but the way we have the cages they can't actually see each other.

I was trying to encourage the interaction because I figured it would be good for Fi. She is definitely still leery of the humans, despite recognizing us as a source of millet, and we're not really in the market for another budgie even though Fi would like the companionship. We'll have to back off again for a little bit, because I don't want budgie eggs and neither does Pearl. Pearl would probably want to eat them.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'll ask to check it later. I think at 95g he was probably fat-that couldn't all have been muscle tone surely, even if his keel felt fine at last check-and think he's been about 88g before, but search didn't help find any posts confirming that. Even at 80g that would be a lot of weight lost, especially if he's not had any real exercise for two weeks and had a mostly seed diet...

Does either bird mimic the other, or say their name?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

The size difference blows my mind sometimes. It's like a cat being super excited by a tiger.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Kiwi sounds really cute! You might want to consider removing the mirror and the hut, though, if she's cage aggressive. Though maybe the 12+ hours of darkness will get her hormones to eventually calm down enough.

Ok, good. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a jerk to the poor girl. She was squeaking and squawking away this morning, but I'm still wary of getting nipped. I put my hand close to the cage last night and she lunged for me. I put some millet in the cage as best as I could this morning, and I plan on letting her out and clamber all over her cage so she can start to get used to being let out again. And so I can sneak out that hut and mirror. She spends most of her time in between those two things, watching her for a bit. I think the mirror is the only socialization she's had for a long time :smith:

It was so heartbreaking talking with her owner. The wife kept saying what a good baby she was and how much they wanted to find a good home for her. They adopted her back when she still had to be dropper fed, I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I promised to send lots of pictures once she's settled down (and to share with everyone here). She's a beautiful girl, I just want to nuzzle her adorable face.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon posted:

sid came down a few days ago

he's utterly indistinguishable from the other birds (he looks like erasmus) except for 3 things

1. he only comes down once or twice a year
2. gaston is scared of him
3. he acts friendly, then bites like a motherfucker

Oh man, this is one bad motherclucker.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does either bird mimic the other, or say their name?

Pearl says her own name, not Fi's yet. She did learn "Bella" when our Jack Russell was still around, so it may be a matter of time. Fi has learned to make Pearl's "kissy" noises. She doesn't talk, just whistles and grumbles so far.

And yeah, Fi obviously has a poor grasp on geometry.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

As a result of being crazy hormonal, Pookie has been looking for nest sites in the worst places -she thinks the printer feed drawer is an ideal place to raise a family, under the kitchen dresser is also good, as is the press we keep the composting bin in.
Another prime location is behind the kitchen TV - checking behind there makes her very aggressive and hard to get back down, so I have been forced to use extreme measures to keep her from hanging around up there.

Scary Face now lives above the kitchen telly.

He is not nice.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pookah posted:

As a result of being crazy hormonal, Pookie has been looking for nest sites in the worst places -she thinks the printer feed drawer is an ideal place to raise a family, under the kitchen dresser is also good, as is the press we keep the composting bin in.
Another prime location is behind the kitchen TV - checking behind there makes her very aggressive and hard to get back down, so I have been forced to use extreme measures to keep her from hanging around up there.

He is not nice.

I love this so much it's hard to express in words. Trying to stifle my laughs at work

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

He is not nice.

How does this compare to the Scary Broom though? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Pookah posted:

He is not nice.

someone turn scary face into an emoticon, stat