Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard the 30% number thrown around but 63% ??? Man, I could almost buy a house at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Everyone in the country just seems in denial, or doesn't want to say the bad words that will force everyone to admit that the economy is a complete shitshow and has been going that way based on most economic indicators since before this thread was created.

Mainly no one wants to blame "average Canadians."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If anyone is looking for a cool and good TV series, Show Me a Hero is awesome and has a white woman scream :qq: MY PROPERTY VALUES! :qq: when faced with the possibility of black people moving into her neighborhood.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

2 ironic 4 me

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Statistics Canada posted:

On the other hand, the output of real estate agents and brokers (+9.9%) ... posted notable increases.

Nope, definitely not a bubble.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

mastershakeman posted:

FYI there's a goon (alctel) living in Victoria who has had his sole residence be a boat for the last year or so. He barely got the heat working before November.

Just want to post this great read again about an idiot deciding to live in a boat in Victoria.

http://exiledonline.com/living-with-cons-and-paupers-in-canadas-arctic-waters/

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Does anyone have any analysis about how real estate has been affected outside bubbly hot spots like Toronto and Vancouver?

Like if you live somewhere rural that's too far away from a major urban center to be a bedroom community, are real estate prices potentially still inflated? If no, will they necessarily plummet when the bubble bursts. Is now a good time to get on top of low interest rates if you're otherwise not overpaying for the house?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are you kidding me? Just ask any realtor from Kelowna about the last 7 years.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Wasn't Kelowna marketed as an inexplicably up-and-coming city, though?

I mean a bona fide 'the population has hovered around 1000 since 1953' small town.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

Does anyone have any analysis about how real estate has been affected outside bubbly hot spots like Toronto and Vancouver?

Like if you live somewhere rural that's too far away from a major urban center to be a bedroom community, are real estate prices potentially still inflated? If no, will they necessarily plummet when the bubble bursts. Is now a good time to get on top of low interest rates if you're otherwise not overpaying for the house?

Median house prices in bustling metropolises like Fort Nelson and Lethbridge are similar to prices in sleepy Chicago and Denver.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Okanagan is a favourite destination for Vancouverites fleeing the yellow peril. Especially now that oil has imploded so Alberta winters are no longer tolerable.

All my racist relatives moved to Vernon.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

The coast is getting expensive too. Even Campbell River has a hot property market

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I, and many others, have been posting examples in this thread for years now regarding how the real estate market price in the entirety of the province of British Columbia has become lower mainland inflated over sanity prices. Before I decided it wasn't worth effortposting on SA anymore I wrote up some drat long and expansive descriptions of how bad the entire province has become.

Taking on a mortgage that is likely to leave you hundreds of thousands underwater or struggling under an overnight tripling of your mortgage rate is of course your own prerogative, but I reserve the right to post that colbert.gif that I love so much when exactly what I have just described comes to pass. :allears:

unlimited shrimp posted:

Two or three pages back I posted a listing for a 100 year old house in an actual, honest to god ghost town with no regular ferry service. The owners want over $200,000 for it. Go browse MLS sometime for notable economic wastelands such as Rossland, Gold Bridge, Winter Harbour, etc etc etc. Like, seriously, you see Vancouver prices from here all the way to the Yukon / Alaska border except there's no loving jobs around your house for 200km in any direction.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

We are so hosed when this bubble crashes. I cant get any joy out of knowing that an entire generation of millenials are outright hosed in every regard thanks to boomers running wild on every level of the system. :smith:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
hate to break it to you but a lot of millenials are jumping right on into this pool

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

JawKnee posted:

hate to break it to you but a lot of millenials are jumping right on into this pool

My closest friend just bought a lovely tiny condo in Vancouver (he and his wife plan on having kids!) despite having listened to me explain this entire issue top to bottom for the last half decade.

~the aristocrats~

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Look, bro, in times of recession you want to put your money someplace safe, like Canadian housing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The global economy is so hosed you basically have three choices; ignoring the problem, laughing at the problem or crying.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

The global economy is so hosed you basically have three choices; ignoring the problem, laughing at the problem or crying.

You omitted drinking.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Drinking is just a way to modify your laughing/crying.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

:qq:

holy poo poo the loving people that live in this loving city kill them all

go kill yourself

why are vancouverites so terrified of moving out of province or even out of country?

Also with a million dollars you can get many years of rent, even more if you invested it well.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 1, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but where would they live? Without pride of ownership you are literally homeless

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

etalian posted:

why are vancouverites so terrified of moving out of province or even out of country?

Health insurance costs? :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vancouverites don't actually have jobs, it's equity building all the way down. Also if you even have a foot in the door in vancouver you're ground floor for the never-ending boom, moving away would mean you'd not be able to build as much equity in the future.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

My closest friend just bought a lovely tiny condo in Vancouver (he and his wife plan on having kids!) despite having listened to me explain this entire issue top to bottom for the last half decade.

~the aristocrats~

um if you've had to explain it for half a decade w/o ur prophecyed crash then ur wrong idiot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

but where would they live? Without pride of ownership you are literally homeless

landlords don't want renters who have a 1 million dollars in cash.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

Also with a million dollars you can get many years of rent, even more if you invested it well.

I was in the process of moving out of country when my wife was offered a great job randomly while applying for citizenship. So now we're here for a while longer.

As many problems as Vancouver has, I'd never want to live outside SW BC in Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Californians have the same problem in which they are too terrified to move out of state and think California has a unique lifestyle.

How can people even be happy in other states?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Terrified no, I've lived in three countries. I just see all of Canada as a shithole and it would be a downgrade. Why live in Calgary when I can go back to Sydney or Melbourne?

I'm a giant Australian pussy and real Canadian weather is terrifying to me.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 2, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Vancouver is high cost of living for things like housing but no jobs unlike the US west coast.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There are jobs just not good ones for unemployed rig pigs. And one little town can only employ so many social media theorists.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahaha the day the country is declared in recession is the day I find another house we might buy.

At least this is another 'good and affordable even at 6%' house which means we'll get out bid.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Reverse Centaur posted:

Terrified no, I've lived in three countries. I just see all of Canada as a shithole and it would be a downgrade. Why live in Calgary when I can go back to Sydney or Melbourne?

I'm a giant Australian pussy and real Canadian weather is terrifying to me.

Oh boy, don't say this around Canadians you'll get punched in the face (even if you were Canadian by birth).

While I love the geography and climate of this land (which is why I stay here, gently caress you), I hate this country and I loathe the delusional assholes that live here and perpetuate this declining shithole even more. They just refuse to admit how far things have gone down the drain in the past 25 years.

/oh lawdy how am I even drunk.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 2, 2015

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Rime posted:

Oh boy, don't say this around Canadians you'll get punched in the face (even if you were Canadian by birth).

While I love the geography and climate of this land (which is why I stay here, gently caress you), I hate this country and I loathe the delusional assholes that live here and perpetuate this declining shithole even more. They just refuse to admit how far things have gone down the drain in the past 25 years.

Yes canada has a real monopoly on idiots, it will definitely be different if you moved to another country

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

Don't worry, I'm a Vancouverite, I don't speak to anyone I didn't know 20 years ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just LOL if you live anywhere on Earth.

Don't you scrubs know that the real players live on Fomalhaut-7?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Another look at this dumb house that sold, but the description made me smile:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/01/unlivable-beach-house-sells-for-1-million.html

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

etalian posted:

mountains and sea worlds most beautiful livable fashionable city in the world everyone wants to live in vancouver

I am pretty sure that Vancouver's economy is built entirely around home equity. We're the Phoenix of the North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

mountains and sea worlds most beautiful livable fashionable city in the world

lol