Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
So, what's to stop me from taking a sampling of screenshots already submitted, and post them as my own for the contest? I don't see any identifying info on the screenshots itself, so short of them catching me (unlikely with the amount of posts), what am I missing in my amazing plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Nothing really, unless the people doing it are paying very close attention which I doubt they are. I looked over my old screenshots for ones I could use if I just could not get that letter but never ended up having to use any.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Finally got my last A, now I just need an E and my set is complete.

I also have 165k free xp waiting for when I finish the New Mexico (just need 18k xp). Feels quite liberating to know that I can skip from Tier 6 BB to Tier 8 and save myself 6 million silver + upgrades.

**EDIT**

Wouldn't you know it? My very next map I sink another ship starting with an A - first it was I couldn't find a single loving one of them, let alone get the kill, and now I'm swimming in them.

I'm still hunting my last E. Getting real tempted to just try to photshop one in. I've seen exactly 3 E names in about 15 matches today.

Except I'm terrible at photoshop, and it'd end up being a big red MSPaint E painted over the original.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I just searched for marblehead codes on ebay, and people are selling them for almost $30 dollars, really?

Welp if i knew i could get $30 for each of my pax codes, i'd have sold them instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm still not getting what brought about this retarded change. Of all the things I'd be hoping for a fix to, this is not even remotely on it.

quote:

JAPAN:

-Reduced the national bonus related to the probability of setting fire for all shells (except 200 mm and 203 mm caliber shells)

Glancing through the stats for both sides, the only place IJN ships seem to have a noticeably greater chance to set fire is in destroyers, with 10% for IJN ones vs. 5%(which I don't believe for a second) for US ones. And IJN ones have never been the ones I'm concerned about covering me with fires.

Hell, the Mogami only has a 10% chance with its 155s as opposed to the Cleveland having a 12% chance with 152s. I suppose they're technically correct as IJN 152s have a 15% chance of causing fire, except that the only ship that carries them as primary weapons is the Chikuma, and I don't think I've ever heard complaints about that ship being OP.

BBs shells on both sides seem to have generally the same fire chance as well, with North Carolina and Iowa actually having a decently HIGHER chance than the larger bore guns carried by their counterparts. Hell, even Yamato only has a 1% advantage over Montana, despite the much larger guns.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Hazdoc posted:

Just as an fyi for the Murmansk's scout plane... I've had it engage bombers before. I don't know why, but it has. May be a bug, but the bastard can panic a TB squad and slow them down for your fairly robust close range AA to shred.

All Scout Planes do this if you select the air group you want and they get close enough, it is hilarious and has definitely saved my life before on multiple occasions when some Jap CV was trying to hit me at cross 45 degree bow angle spreads.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Devorum posted:

tempted to just try to photshop one in

looks legit, yeah?

just hit him, dood

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
all done, try tier 2 matches for Es, I ran into 4 guys looking for a D to finish me.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

DurosKlav posted:

Yayyyyyyyy

Dammit!

YAY

Now that I have the Montana its going to take forever to actually outfit the drat thing with modules.

As I finished leveling the Pensacola and sell it to buy my shiny new Montana I cant help but think thats theres no real reason to go up the US cruiser line past the Cleveland. I cant think of anything really about the line that makes it stand out compared to the Japanese cruiser line outside of its AA. If I'm in the Iowa and there's a Myoko on one side of me and a Baltimore on the other I'm shooting at the Myoko 99% of the time over the Baltimore even though the Baltimore is 2 tiers higher. US cruisers just seem to lack anything that makes me afraid of them over the Japanese. Please someone whos played the New Orleans and beyond a reason for me to prioritize US cruisers over Japanese. What do US cruisers have that the Japanese dont?

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 2, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Awful Company posted:

Furutaka: Increased the rate of fire and the main battery traverse speed
Furutaka: Reduced rudder shift time
Furutaka: increased the traverse speed of the 200mm/50 guns from 4 degrees per second to 5 degrees per second.
Furutaka: Increased the traverse speed of the 203mm/50 guns from 4 degrees per second to 5 degrees per second. The reload time of the gun was decreased from 17 to 15 seconds

loving finally. Also:

Stupid poo poo posted:

Omaha: Increased the firing range for the top hull (C) of the cruiser Omaha (the same increase is applied to Murmansk)

Murmansk getting a buff. Moreso:

Not so stupid poo poo posted:

Implemented a "mirror balance" for aircraft carriers in terms of their number and tier in almost all cases (except for extremely rare occasions when the waiting time in queue is longer than the maximum time allowed)

Well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The only potential issue I'm seeing with carrier mirror matching is how is it going to interact with divisions? Like, what happens if someone divisions a Yamato with a Langley? Does some other random Langley/Hosho captain get hosed? Does the Yamato get put in a low tier match? What?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I heard they won't sell Tirpitz for a while in NA server :smith:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I'm getting really loving tired of T8+ CVs one shotting my Iowa with their billion loving undodgeable torpedoes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Durendal posted:

I'm getting really loving tired of T8+ CVs one shotting my Iowa with their billion loving undodgeable torpedoes.

Don't you know? If you just hit A and D sometimes you'll avoid the torpedoes dropped on you from all angles at .8km! It's simple. It's cruisers who are overpowered.

gently caress CVs forever.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's funny how they are giving them more planes as well, which is a buff and makes suicide runs better.

I don't think this game will survive for long unless they make some drastic changes, reducing plane spotting range to something stupid like 1km might be unrealistic but it would make the CVs more dependant on their teams. Just like in WoT where arty needs a spotter.

Or just remove CV altogether, I certainly wont miss them.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Limit each CV to a max of one Torpedo bomber squadron. - Fixed

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 2, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So the reason for not adding submarines is "We don't know how to balance them", unlike carriers which they've certainly got a good grasp of.

Re-bought a St. Louis just so I can possibly get an occasional carrier-free game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

IPCRESS posted:

So the reason for not adding submarines is "We don't know how to balance them", unlike carriers which they've certainly got a good grasp of.

Re-bought a St. Louis just so I can possibly get an occasional carrier-free game.

Uhh, well, you see, carriers aren't balanced? What sort of engaging gameplay would submarines offer that DD's don't already?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

Uhh, well, you see, carriers aren't balanced? What sort of engaging gameplay would submarines offer that DD's don't already?

Well, you'd be like a destroyer with slower than US BB speed and no defense if you're caught surfaced.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just give the russian submarine an ability that makes them sing the USSR anthem, instantly detected by everybody on the map but twice as fast and dealing double damage.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Michaellaneous posted:

Just give the russian submarine an ability that makes them sing the USSR anthem, instantly detected by everybody on the map but twice as fast and dealing double damage.
Wait, is this Hunt for Red October reference? :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just have AI-controlled submarines spawn in and launch torps at carriers whenever they're getting more than a few kilometers away from the rest of their team. :getin:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Perestroika posted:

Just have AI-controlled submarines spawn in and launch torps at carriers whenever they're getting more than a few kilometers away from the rest of their team. :getin:
Speaking of distance, I tried to do AA support cruiser but the xp reward was utter poo poo :smith: maybe they need to add xp for defending a team mate from enemy torp bombers.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

None whatsoever. Much like carriers. Which was the total extent of the joke.

ETA: I'm not as funny as I thought. I'm trying to say "Carriers should not be in the game for the same reason that submarines should not be in this game".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 4, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aesis posted:

Wait, is this Hunt for Red October reference? :getin:

Of course it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsC2ETsZL0g

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Had a pubby give our CV this bit of lovely advice last night. "Carrier, stay exactly where you are".

I got made fun of for pointing out the terrible advice. Of course, the enemy CV sent its TBs directly to that position and murdered our CV.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 2, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
My favorite bad CV advise ever was when I pointed out to an Independence that a moving target was more difficult to hit, and he responded with "This ship only goes 16 knots, not like I can outrun anything"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
God drat, 4 gig patch. Are all patches this big? Also what do I have to do with the modpack once the servers come up?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Raged posted:

God drat, 4 gig patch. Are all patches this big? Also what do I have to do with the modpack once the servers come up?
1.5 GB for me :shrug:

e: New torpedo for Sims is whopping 9.2 km range and reload is about 1 minute but only 49 knots speed. Also damage is only 8.5k. You have to be dumb to get hit by it :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 2, 2015

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

The reason is not that they can't balance submarines, the reason is that the whole idea of submarines fighting warships is really really stupid. Submarine warfare was effective because they went after the supply lines instead of getting trashed by the ships that have more than enough countermeasures against them. They are slow, have a very limited ROF and people should just stop demanding them to be included.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
So the patch gave tier 6+ IJN carriers 3 fighter squadrons. They still retain one TB squad. With the defensive AA fire ability added to more ships there is absolutely no reason to play US carriers.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
3,000,000 credits when you login... thanks Rank 9.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

The reason is not that they can't balance submarines, the reason is that the whole idea of submarines fighting warships is really really stupid. Submarine warfare was effective because they went after the supply lines instead of getting trashed by the ships that have more than enough countermeasures against them. They are slow, have a very limited ROF and people should just stop demanding them to be included.

Why do people keep trying to throw realism around in an arcade game anyways? They said the same stuff about submarines in Navy Field, and then they turned out to be the most entertaining thing to happen to that game in forever when they came out. Managing your air ( which determined how long you could stay under ), carefully picking your route, etc, and getting in real close to poo poo all over the biggest ship you could find was fantastic when it worked out.

It was also really funny when you'd mess up, run out of air, and surface in front of the entire enemy team. Every ship would drop what they were doing to shoot the hell out of you.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Junkozeyne posted:

I'd say the larger issue is that submarines are entirely about invisible ships with huge alpha damage. That's pretty much the definition of difficult to balance and terribly unfun to play against.

Carriers could be balanced in a number of ways. Torp bombers could be fixed simply by increasing the arming distance on torps or dramatically increasing their turn radius to make attack runs require time to adjust after a ship maneuvers.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Aesis posted:

So I heard they won't sell Tirpitz for a while in NA server :smith:

Is there a reason why? I hadn't planned on buying the package deal so hopefully they come out with just the ship in NA first.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Subs would give US DDs something to do. ASW is a lot of fun as long as you dodge your own depth charges.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Why do people keep trying to throw realism around in an arcade game anyways? They said the same stuff about submarines in Navy Field, and then they turned out to be the most entertaining thing to happen to that game in forever when they came out. Managing your air ( which determined how long you could stay under ), carefully picking your route, etc, and getting in real close to poo poo all over the biggest ship you could find was fantastic when it worked out.

It was also really funny when you'd mess up, run out of air, and surface in front of the entire enemy team. Every ship would drop what they were doing to shoot the hell out of you.

Because at some point you have to be at least somewhat accurate to what a type of ship can and can't do. What people want is not a submarine but a submersible destroyer and the very concept of that is just stupid and unfun.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I was really looking forward to the Kongo but it just took me the better part of 5 minutes to kill a stationary low health Tenryu
And then all my shells missed the Furutaka that conveniently beached itself broadsided to me at 8km

I think I'm done with battleships, this is garbage.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
First 100k damage with New Orleans :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Easiest CV fix is to make it an option to opt-out of CV games in the match maker. Carriers (and their friends) can go play together in one match making and everyone else can play together in another.

Done!