Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Also about how much stock is a "Coupla things" in people-units?

Depends how thick you want it but with 2 cups of flour in the roux I would think you want 3-4 quarts. Start with two and add as needed. Keep in mind it will thicken up with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Also about how much stock is a "Coupla things" in people-units?

Phil knows what's up.

Yeah sorry not my recipe but he's talkin about quart size cardboard boxes of stock I believe.

Probably the single greatest improvement you can make to this dish is to use homemade stock however.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I'm probably gonna need to get more stock, then.

Last question, is there a lower-calorie (or less calorie-dense) alternative to the lard? Or perhaps something I could mix with the lard to use less lard?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I'm probably gonna need to get more stock, then.

Last question, is there a lower-calorie (or less calorie-dense) alternative to the lard? Or perhaps something I could mix with the lard to use less lard?

For the roux to work it's gotta be a fat of some kind. Lard works but if you want alternatives people readily use butter or peanut oil. You can cut the amount of oil somewhat (I've gotten away with reducing the ration by 25/33% less oil volume for the same amount of flour). Just if you're doing that then keep in mind it will be a little harder to make the roux / easier to burn it so I'd say avoid it until you know you can make a decent roux all the time. Or not, flour and oil are cheap after all. If it burns just toss it out and start over. Go nuts.

Do not use olive oil for it, it will be disgusting. Just generic blended vegetable oil will also work but honestly its worth it to use butter or peanut oil.

If you're close on the amount of stock then you can add a beer or two for liquid and it actually provides a nice flavor. Just a bitter light beer like a pilsner or something, don't go using a heavy stout or anything.

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 14, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In that case, I'll try mixing about 1 cup lard with 1/2 cup unsalted butter.

Thanks for the tips. :)

holttho
May 21, 2007

Replacing lard with butter isn't going to cut calories. Fat is fat is fat is 9 calories per gram. Butter is (in the US) roughly 80% fat, ~15% water, and the rest is milk solids - slightly higher fat content in EU. If you are making a roux with butter, the water will be long evaporated as you brown the roux. Technically speaking, the water has to be gone for the browning to occur; and once that occurs, its just pure fat.

Lard isn't evil; it is actually pretty decent for you in terms of other readily available fats. It has slightly less saturated fat than butter, and so long as you avoid the hydrogenated types, has no trans fats.

As with all great foods - make the real thing, just eat less of it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

holttho posted:

As with all great foods - make the real thing, just eat less of it.

Disclaimer: once you've tasted it, this will be very difficult.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just want to eat a bowl or two a day without getting fat. I'm supposed to be on a diet right now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol gumbo isn't diet food bruh

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol gumbo isn't diet food bruh

Well not with that attitude :colbert:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I just want to eat a bowl or two a day without getting fat. I'm supposed to be on a diet right now.

Uhhh.

It's not the worst thing to have as a cheat food but it's never not going to be rich stuff with all the fat and carbs.

You might want to look into some chicken soups etc if you want a similar dish that's diet friendly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, the only time you're gonna see the words "gumbo" and "diet food" together are when the words "isn't a" are in between them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay, fine, gently caress it. I'm eatin' it anyway.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Okay, fine, gently caress it. I'm eatin' it anyway.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Don't forget your cornbread.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Gegil posted:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Don't forget your cornbread.

You seem to have misspelt "potato salad."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cornbread is good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

btw I need a cornbread recipe. :(

Also a sweet cornbread recipe. I ate at this restaurant in Washington DC last year and they served this sweet cornbread that was out of this world.

holttho
May 21, 2007

If you whip honey together with butter, you can make any style cornbread and you and your guests may dial in the sweetness as they desire. It is A Very Good Thing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm probably going to catch a metric gently caress load of flak for this, but frankly, I've always liked the jiffy cornbread mix, dressed up with a good amount of shredded pepper jack, chopped jalapenos, and grilled corn. Literally just dump the little box of mix into a bowl, with a handful of those ingredients and the other poo poo it calls for, then mix and pour into a loaf pan and bake till a toothpick comes out clean. Slice thick and drizzle a bit of honey over it. I don't really have proportions to give, since we just kinda eyeball it, but it tastes amazing and is one of my guilty pleasures of lazy cooking.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

holttho posted:

If you whip honey together with butter, you can make any style cornbread and you and your guests may dial in the sweetness as they desire. It is A Very Good Thing.

Add some orange zest too. Amazing.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm probably going to catch a metric gently caress load of flak for this, but frankly, I've always liked the jiffy cornbread mix, dressed up with a good amount of shredded pepper jack, chopped jalapenos, and grilled corn. Literally just dump the little box of mix into a bowl, with a handful of those ingredients and the other poo poo it calls for, then mix and pour into a loaf pan and bake till a toothpick comes out clean. Slice thick and drizzle a bit of honey over it. I don't really have proportions to give, since we just kinda eyeball it, but it tastes amazing and is one of my guilty pleasures of lazy cooking.

Naw, I use Jiffy for cornbread stuffing, and just to snack on with some jam sometimes. It's like using any kind of boxed baking mix; you can make better, but it's not terrible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Jiffy mix always and forever. All it is is cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.

I've made it on my own but the mix is always good and cheap as hell. I use it unless I want to make a savory beans and cornbread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I have more gumbo questions:

1. What shade is the roux supposed to turn before I start adding stuff? Last night I got something that was around the color of clay mud, then I added the trinity and it turned into a thick, velvety, dark reddish-brown substance which I assume means that I burned it. :gonk:

2. Are a few black flakes okay? The recipe says it's ruined if I see one single black flake, but I'm wondering if some tiny little ones are inevitable.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

1. What shade is the roux supposed to turn before I start adding stuff? Last night I got something that was around the color of clay mud, then I added the trinity and it turned into a thick, velvety, dark reddish-brown substance which I assume means that I burned it. :gonk:

2. Are a few black flakes okay? The recipe says it's ruined if I see one single black flake, but I'm wondering if some tiny little ones are inevitable.

Black flakes are not "inevitable" but also not necessarily a reason to throw out the whole roux. I don't like to see them with oil but if you are rendering anything for fat or browning chicken or something then you will always have some black things.

Reddish color is not typical for me. What did you use for fat? The progression is usually white--peanut butter--milk chocolate--dark chocolate. I add the onions somewhere between the last two and caramelize them, then the rest of the trinity and garlic when it's nice and dark.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

That Works posted:

Jiffy mix always and forever. All it is is cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.

I've made it on my own but the mix is always good and cheap as hell. I use it unless I want to make a savory beans and cornbread.

Very much this.

When I use flour and oil, I usually see the brick red color right before it turns to chocolate; if it is really red, then I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes you'll have to make a small batch with a recipe to dial in the cooking time. As for the black specks? It might be small bits of burnt flour, but if you've been stirring constantly it might just be really dark 'dry' spots that usually indicate that the whole batch is about to turn dark. Mine does that sometimes, but I usually it's just one or two spots. Other things I would check for is the "high temp" spoon or whatever actually melting as you stir, or the stuff they seal teflon pans with coming up.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

btw I need a cornbread recipe. :(

Also a sweet cornbread recipe. I ate at this restaurant in Washington DC last year and they served this sweet cornbread that was out of this world.
Get a thing of Quaker Oats cornmeal. The recipe on the back is very good. I've gotten a ton of "this is the best cornbread ever" type comments with it. It is a recipe that has been tested by food scientists to perfection.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It's not traditional but it's damned good. I usually add 2T of Aleppo pepper (or another flavorful red pepper or paprika) to the dry goods because I like a kick to my cornbread. YMMV.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/honey-corn-muffins.html

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

In honor of a new football (and gumbo) season, I made a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

I like to throw some gumbo crabs in there to sweeten it up. It really helps smooth out the roux, which when very dark can be pretty bitter without the crab and shrimp.

Here are the main ingredients (missing the andouille).

There's been lots of talk about roux, so here is the Formula 1 roux cooking method. The roux was 1.5 cups flour to 1 cup vegetable oil. This is what it looked like right out of the gate, oil brought to a shimmer then flour whisked in.

We are cooking this at high heat, whisking constantly, gradually decreasing the heat. It should be ready to go in 30 minutes.

Five minutes in.

Ten minutes. Beer for color scale.

Fifteen minutes. Heat to medium.

Twenty minutes. Time to put in the onions.

Another 5 minutes to caramelize the onions.

Toss in the garlic and the rest of the trinity.

Low-medium heat for another 5 minutes until you get a deep, rich chocolate color.

Add your stock and get it combined. I used about 3 quarts of homemade fish/shellfish stock.

Add the crabs and half of the shrimp and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

I like to sauté the andouille to get some of the grease out, then sauté the okra to get some of the snot out.

Add all of that and then simmer another 30 minutes. Add the remaining shrimp, chopped green onions, and chopped parsley, cook 5-10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Yes, I have left some stuff out. There is some fresh thyme in there along with salt and pepper. Seasoning is kind of a personal thing.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 15, 2015

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I etouffee'd!

Following OP's recipe only I used chicken stock and frozen langostino tails from Costco (which own). Turned out perfectly! The whole house smells CajunCreole about 5 mins into preparation.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 16, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You guys are killing it. Made a chicken and sausage gumbo this week for a gathering but didn't get pics as it was pretty standard. Only difference from Phils is that I cook my trinity separate from the roux. Done it both ways and just found that to be feasible for my own kitchen setup.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nostrum posted:

I etouffee'd!

Following OP's recipe only I used chicken stock and frozen langostino tails from Costco (which own). Turned out perfectly! The whole house smells CajunCreole about 5 mins into preparation.

Looks good to me!

That Works posted:

You guys are killing it. Made a chicken and sausage gumbo this week for a gathering but didn't get pics as it was pretty standard. Only difference from Phils is that I cook my trinity separate from the roux. Done it both ways and just found that to be feasible for my own kitchen setup.

I've never done it that way. Mind giving a run down how/when you add the vegetables, and why you like that way better?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks good to me!

I've never done it that way. Mind giving a run down how/when you add the vegetables, and why you like that way better?

Basically I just make my trinity in a little butter and oil, wilting the onions then adding celery when it clears and bell pepper at the end. I will add in meat at this point if I am using chicken, otherwise wait till later. I make the roux in a separate pan and quench with a little stock and add my okra there. That gets mixed in with the trinity then I add more stock, beer or wine and spices. Sausage goes in during the last 20 min of a low boil, shrimp, parsley and green onion in the last 5.

I like it that way better because the roux is easier to handle (for me) and doing it that way makes it easier to scale up or down. I've totally done it your way too and it works just fine. Just felt like pointing out the difference in case someone wasn't happy with their roux.

Edit: and yeah I'll add a tiny bit of sausage in with the onions to get some fat into them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In honor of a new football (and gumbo) season, I made a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

Low-medium heat for another 5 minutes until you get a deep, rich chocolate color.

Looks so good.
I was going to make my first attempt at gumbo last week with chicken and chorizo, but never got around to it. I ended up using the celery and capsicum for frijoles negros.
If I get to the only store around here that sells cheap green capsicums (bell peppers) this week, I promise to do it for sure after your post.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made a roux with straight butter recently and it went to a nice brown way faster than with vegetable oil. 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), 1/2 cup AP flour.

Did I actually make brown butter+flour and not a real roux?

Final result of gumbo tasted great still. I use okra and filé powder as well so there's no lack of thickening there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I went fishing down in Barataria and caught some great redfish, stopped at a shack on the way home because my buddy said the crab was a steal. I picked up some lump for the fish ($20 lb for pieces about the size of lemon wedges). Big peeled claws too. But after a night at the camp and a day drinking on the water, I was a little buzzed shall we say, and I didn't realize the whole frozen crabs I bought for gumbo use were soft shelled.

I'm not a huge soft shelled crab fan, but anyone used these in gumbo before? Google tells me you can do it, and it will be nice to have whole edible crabs instead of just skimpy crab carcasses in the gumbo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it. I would probably not let them go the whole time, maybe add them late in the process. Or make some stock with them, use the stock, then add them at the very end?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I went fishing down in Barataria and caught some great redfish, stopped at a shack on the way home because my buddy said the crab was a steal. I picked up some lump for the fish ($20 lb for pieces about the size of lemon wedges). Big peeled claws too. But after a night at the camp and a day drinking on the water, I was a little buzzed shall we say, and I didn't realize the whole frozen crabs I bought for gumbo use were soft shelled.

I'm not a huge soft shelled crab fan, but anyone used these in gumbo before? Google tells me you can do it, and it will be nice to have whole edible crabs instead of just skimpy crab carcasses in the gumbo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it. I would probably not let them go the whole time, maybe add them late in the process. Or make some stock with them, use the stock, then add them at the very end?

Make stock with any shellfish, I personally wouldn't bother overcooking the softshells just for that. Once your gumbo is late in its simmer I'd just toss them in and let them cook for 5-10 mins at the end like you'd do if you wanted to throw in some jumbo shrimp and keep them from getting too overcooked / chewy.

Seems like that would maximize what you'd get out of that while keeping the softshells in their best consistency to eat. Lucky you. I haven't had softshells in a while.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah Donald Link has a recipe for seafood gumbo that uses whole crabs to make a "stock" just for the gumbo you are cooking.

http://leitesculinaria.com/78819/recipes-seafood-gumbo.html

Crabs don't get more than 5-7 minutes, just enough to get the flava outtem

holttho
May 21, 2007

The first ingredient in that recipe:

"at least 6 cold beers for the chef"

I like where this is going! :heysexy:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah Donald Link has a recipe for seafood gumbo that uses whole crabs to make a "stock" just for the gumbo you are cooking.

http://leitesculinaria.com/78819/recipes-seafood-gumbo.html

Crabs don't get more than 5-7 minutes, just enough to get the flava outtem

That looks nice.

In the past when I've made seafood gumbo I had usually had leftover boiled blue crabs that I just tossed in there at the end and had gotten a couple pounds of head-on shrimp to use. I took the heads and heated them up in a little butter then added salt and water and brought that to a boil to make the stock.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
I was going through my old files and found a recipe for a Buttermilk Corn bread that is my wife's favorite. If you have a good creamed corn you could
replace the frozen kernels + buttermilk.

Buttermilk Corn Bread
INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted margarine or butter (unsalted)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
2. Dust pan with corn meal.
3. Mix first six ingredients (flour- cinnamon) in large bowl.
4. Mix eggs, melted margarine/butter, buttermilk, and corn kernels in small bowl.
5. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients.
6. Stir until combined.
7. Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 1 hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

That looks nice.

In the past when I've made seafood gumbo I had usually had leftover boiled blue crabs that I just tossed in there at the end and had gotten a couple pounds of head-on shrimp to use. I took the heads and heated them up in a little butter then added salt and water and brought that to a boil to make the stock.

That picture sure looks appetizing, right? It's on the cover of Link's cookbook and is found inside the book right next to that gumbo recipe.

Weird thing is, the recipe has no okra, no green onions, no parsley, and no andouille/sausage, all of which are clearly visible. There is no recipe in the book that corresponds to the gumbo on the cover and in the book.

I mean granted the parsley and green onion are basically garnish and it's gumbo--just add sausage and okra as you like, but I always thought that was a bit of bullshit to put that on your cover and not have a recipe for it in the book.