Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Long night, installed new beefier shocks, longer brake hoses and mounted the axle to the leafs under the truck. Great progress for a weeknight. The brake hoses required me to break out an offset closed end box wrench that I have no idea where it came from but was the exact and only tool that would work. I was fortunate that the new hose had 5/8 fittings on both ends unlike the old one which would not allow the wrench past it.

I also wanted to tap the breather hole on top of the differential only to find out it was threaded already, with the exact thread I wanted to tap it with. So I chased it out.

I remember looking at the time and it was 9:30 and thinking oh I have time for a few more bolts and when I came in it was 11:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Finishing up the final steps to install the second battery:

I'm happy with this print, and how it fits the parts. Just need to wire it up to have a second (house) battery.

Unfortunately, I can't drive it, because while replacing the booster/master cylinder, something weird started happening.

I have a leak in the master cylinder. Fluid is coming out from here:

I tried reseating it, and checking o-rings, but this is a constant, slow drip. One big drip every five seconds or so that I can stop by putting my finger over it. Pumping the brakes does not make it worse. Is there supposed to be a plug for this hole, or is this a faulty cylinder, or what?

Never so much as touched an ACVW, but that looks like a weep hole to keep leakages from getting inside the vehicle and wrecking the carpets and such. Warranty time?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tommychu posted:

Never so much as touched an ACVW, but that looks like a weep hole to keep leakages from getting inside the vehicle and wrecking the carpets and such. Warranty time?

Weep hole was the search term I apparently needed but didn't have, thanks. Looks like it's time for another new master cylinder.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Saturday: drove the Justy 2 blocks, oil light came on at idle at a stop sign, drove it right back home (light went back out above idle) and parked it. Time to build up the spare engine and drop it in because at the very least the original needs new balance chain, oil pump, and timing cover bushing upgrade. The original will come out, get cleaned up, have anything iffy replaced and be reassembled as a known good spare.

Saturday: NEAI shenanigans

Yesterday: by some miracle, the forester shitwagon passed its safety inspection, so it has a new lease on life... for now. I even put the trim all back on (to hide the rust) and replaced a license plate lamp. Pretty sure the only reason they didn't hear the diff bearings whistling as it drove into the bay was because I left the blower on max and the radio up :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Beatertruck got some lovin' today.

Nice. I'm very happy that's working out for you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Planning on replacing the tie rod end that's held together with zip ties today :woop:.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Buttoned it up and pulled it out of the garage for the first time in a month. Front brakes are non existent, needs rear shocks installed. The new rear springs are way too tall. I'm looking forward to driving it tomorrow after fixing the first two issues.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I rebuilt the rear calipers on my Miata. Apparently unsurprisingly the snap ring pliers I bought could not reach the c clip inside and I had to jimmy it out with a pair of picks. Apart from that the only other bizarro thing was the handbrake actuator arm seal that came out looked nothing like either of the ones in the kit.

The worst part of it though was it got dark before I managed to properly bleed to calipers when I put them back on. I did momentarily think I accidentally drained the master cylinder but it turns out it was just my ghetto vacuum bleed setup sucking in large amounts of air from somewhere else. Managed to get it done today though and the pedal feels more than good enough for now. Hopefully the speed bleeders I ordered for the rebuild should finally turn up sometime this week and then I can do the fronts, flush the whole system and then we'll see what the pedal feels like then.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got my windows tinted at the legal limit. Shoulda went darker. Excuse the lovely IG quality photos.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

I don't even see a car here, all I see is dazzle camoflague.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TwoFire posted:

I don't even see a car here, all I see is dazzle camoflague.

That doesn't surprise me.

SAC -- what's the sticker on the passenger pillar?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

meatpimp posted:

SAC -- what's the sticker on the passenger pillar?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

meatpimp posted:

I was expecting this, but I didn't at the same time. :newlol:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

After a year and a half here, my shop finally has working lights! Against probably sound advice, I made the questionable decision to replace the non functional t12 8' fa8 pin lamps, with LED retrofit bulbs.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Had some of the dash apart to fix the radio antenna amplifier and while I was in there, I finally got around to running the wiring for the new AeroForce gauges. In addition to the main OBDII data line, I had to run a separate 12-volt power wire that I simply spliced into the power outlet circuit, which on my car is only hot when the key is on. Getting the new custom panel to fully seat required some modifications to the underlying mounting brace to accommodate the gauge cups, but otherwise fits exactly the way the factory panel did. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow when it's light out:

I still have plenty of experimenting and exploring to do with the various other functions, but for now I'm glad I finally have a way to monitor the oil pressure and alternator output in real time, as well as get a better understanding of the various operating temperature cycles. I also have a Y-splitter adapter that I plan on installing between the gauge data line and the factory OBDII plug, so I still have an accessible diagnostic port for inspections and such.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 31, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Plastidipped my wheels black for my Sonic and cleaned up the new (to me) truck.

Looks like my wheels got jacked.

Mostly cleaned up truck. There's so much goddamn tire shine on there that I need to scrub off and clean up the wheels, but the paint looks good enough for now.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Redneck alignment. It will get me through a couple weeks until I can budget a proper alignment in.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The old white mare got a new set of shoes.

All done. Maybe I should wash it? It's actually white not grey. Too bad! No garage.

Then I drove it a bunch. 278k!

To meet up with some old friends. And older cars.

Then we traded for a while.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Replaced / upgraded all the ignition coils on the RX8 with LS coils from Black Halo Racing. Didn't actually get pictures of the new ones or them going in.

I do however have pictures of the old and visibly busted parts - technically the engine still ran, rather well considering the condition of the items removed so I don't think it qualifies for the other thread.

If there are any RX8 owners reading this, for the love of god, replace your coils. Those white spots on the bottom is evidence of each of them shorting/grounding out to the bottom mounting bracket.

As for the plugs, well I have *proof" from Mazda that the plugs were done twice. Once at 30k km when the car was traded in by the original owner and again when the engine was replaced at 60k km (based on the service records and the condition of the vehicle - I'm blaming that one on the owner vs Mazda). At this point though, I'm almost willing to bet those plugs are originals.... :stare:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I lose all ability to select a gear in the middle of rush hour traffic. Pull off, pop shift boot. Oh.

Pop it back on, hold it. Cue 1 week of this. Yay new poly bushings!

Let's get the tranny side ones done firs..... :stare:

Okay, let's get the lever side ones done. Welp. That was easy.

Sometimes I feel way too old for this poo poo but then again it's 100+ degrees even after the sun goes down.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

No pics, but oil / filter changes for my wife's bike and mine in preparation for 1,200mi ride this weekend. :woop:

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Oil and filter in the Polio. Reset SRI with VCDS and didn't spill a drop for a change. Gordon Murray got nothin on me.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Washed my car...

Never before have I cared about cleaning my door sills and random bits that are normally hidden until I got a white car. Man you just see dirt everywhere and it's like...where do I draw the line? Sometimes I pop my hood and I want to wipe all the visible white parts off because they are also dirty but it's also hidden from view 99% of the time :smith:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Buhbuhj posted:

Washed my car...

Never before have I cared about cleaning my door sills and random bits that are normally hidden until I got a white car. Man you just see dirt everywhere and it's like...where do I draw the line? Sometimes I pop my hood and I want to wipe all the visible white parts off because they are also dirty but it's also hidden from view 99% of the time :smith:
If you ever drive in the rain your engine bay will get just as dirty as it was before. I found this out the first time I bothered cleaning it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I rebuilt my front brakes this week and put speed bleeders on all 4 corners. Should stop pretty good now :v:

Speed bleeding is the best.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

RillAkBea posted:

I rebuilt my front brakes this week and put speed bleeders on all 4 corners. Should stop pretty good now :v:

Speed bleeding is the best.

Pressure bleeders > speed bleeding.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vacuum bleeders > Speed bleeders > Pressure Bleeders.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

vacuum bleeder + pressure bleeder + speed bleeders = black hole

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Went and rescued it from my mum's because she's moving house next month :3:

(I have no clue what to do with this poor car)

The final drive on this flatbed was so short it would light up the rear tyres in 3rd without the car on there. Made wet roundabouts exciting.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jammyozzy posted:

(I have no clue what to do with this poor car)

Sell it to me?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geirskogul posted:

Absolutely no. Pressure bleeders are way better than vacuum bleeders. Tried them all and nothing worked as well as my pressure bleeder. Vacuum bleeders are not all that reliable, and with some clutch hydraulic systems they don't work at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Plus vacuum bleeders can suck air into the bleed hoses, which makes it hard to tell when they're fully bled.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Enourmo posted:

Plus vacuum bleeders can suck air into the bleed hoses, which makes it hard to tell when they're fully bled.

Exactly. You always seem to see bubbles in them. Air bubbles? vacuum bubbles? Who the gently caress knows.

Vacuum bleeders can go suck a dick. (As opposed to a nipple.) Pressure bleeders are where it's at. :colbert:

Today's expense and misery:

If you can't take your parts to the press, take your press to the parts. Also, i got this (20-ton) press for free!

Old bearing comes out.

These bearings are unit assemblies, and don't use circlips to hold them into the hubs, they have a ring with locking tabs. Used my bearing separator to press onto the locking ring to press the bearing in.

New bearing goes in.

Locking ring seated:

And hub refitted:

I still had a loving noise so out came the rear bearing complete with half-shaft:

Couldn't fault it. Damnit, Audrey, quit loving with me.

Not shown: new power steering pump, flushing power steering fluid, new diesel lambda sensor, new drive belt and tensioner.

Next up some time next week, front bottom ball joints! Also found slight play in inner track rods. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay kill me now. Please.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 6, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Updated my Charger's firmware. I don't have Uconnect Access but I was hoping maybe it'd fix some dumb audio problems.

:effort:

:911:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Discovered the headgaskets on the engine I swapped into the Forester 20 months ago are going bad, also the transmission output shaft seal has developed a hell of a leak.

:shepicide:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Reset the cam timing on the 156 to get rid of rough idle and "random misfire" error codes. The last belt change was done last month by the previous owner. The rear bank exhaust and and front bank inlet cams were off by quite a bit.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DoLittle posted:

Reset the cam timing on the 156 to get rid of rough idle and "random misfire" error codes. The last belt change was done last month by the previous owner. The rear bank exhaust and and front bank inlet cams were off by quite a bit.

I love how easy Alfa make timing their engines. :v:

The newer 1.9 common rail diesels are the exception, and are loving awesome to work on though. Spring-loaded cam locking pins that screw into the cam carrier, fit them and then rotate the engine until the engage in their slots and lock in place. Hell-loving-yes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

discovered I need a new turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhyRu7kDQg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tires, brakes, alignment on the XC90. 1300$.

Drove a free Subaru to the alignment shop also after a year of rebuilding it. When I got it the Valve cover gaskets were spewing oil right onto the headers. The look on the face of the alignment shop guy when he opened the hood was pretty good. I am pretty sure he thought the car was on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I wish/don't wish I got free Subarus.

I put a new dome light in the Subaru. I replaced it with a spare LED festoon bulb I had rolling around in my junk drawer. The old lightbulb in there had black marks on the glass so I'm figuring it was probably close to the end of its useful lifetime. The fade no longer works properly (the LED is cheap and doesn't convert voltage to PWM to fade it out cleanly, so it kind of strobes for a bit before dying) but I can live with it in exchange for better light in the cabin.

I also replaced the cruise control cable bracket, which is just a piece of cheap plastic that sits on top of the intake manifold and gets brittle with heat and age. I doubt it will change anything about the car; the occasional sticky throttle after being in stop and go for long periods of time is probably an indication the throttle cable needs a greasing.

Basically doing little poo poo around the house to try and put off the elephant in the room that is the front hub swap on the Miata. I'm sure once I get in there it won't be all that hard, but I really didn't want to tear down the front brakes again less than two weeks after doing them. At least this time I have new slide pins and boots so I can pretend that I'm doing something different and magical this time.