Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
MGSV is an insanely good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This is my metal man

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just found out that Mother Base will celebrate Big Boss's birthday.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
its goty for sure i don't think i've played a good rear end triple A game like this in so long.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Goddamnit I guess I'm getting MGSV screw you all.

It'll take all night to download -- where's the list of poo poo that imports from Ground Zeroes again? I think I beat all the levels on normal once at that's it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dodoman posted:

To all the people playing MGS 5 wh]ile I cannot

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Brad: "MGSV doesn't make the best first impression"

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sometimes I feel like Giantbomb lives in a bizarre jaded bizzaro world and have weird opinions on games. They're still the only videogame website I actually bother to go to though even if I can't really get good buying advice.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hace posted:

the prologue isn't great, especially since literally every pivotal event but the very end was shown in a trailer already, but it picks up after that

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Hace posted:

tbf crawling along the ground very slowly was kind of a lovely first impression

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

abraham linksys posted:

the prologue isn't great, especially since literally every pivotal event but the very end was shown in a trailer already, but it picks up after that

I disagreeeeeeeeeee

But I haven't really binged on mgsv material so eh

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hace posted:

Brad's a fuckwit, are you new here?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Scylo posted:

tbf crawling along the ground very slowly was kind of a lovely first impression

Well really the very first impression is David Bowie, which is good imo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

No it was actually really cool.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
It's a shame MGSV is an open world game like pretty much every other AAA game in the past two years. Far Cry, Shadow of Mordor, Dying Light, Witcher 3 and with more on the way in the form of Fallout 4 in just two months. I mean, MGS is where I get my tight 15 to 20 hour game with bonkers story.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well don't worry. Persona 5 will be coming out later this year (I hope) so you can have a linear 80+ Hour JRPG.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
the prologue is super great atmospherically but only the first time you see it, it's terrible to actually play and I thank god I am not trying to S-Rank all this poo poo so I'll never have to touch it again

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

No it was actually really cool.

The prologue is cool on its own but as a lead-in to open world stealth gameplay in Afghanistan it feels pretty disjointed.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Captain Internet posted:

It's a shame MGSV is an open world game like pretty much every other AAA game in the past two years. Far Cry, Shadow of Mordor, Dying Light, Witcher 3 and with more on the way in the form of Fallout 4 in just two months. I mean, MGS is where I get my tight 15 to 20 hour game with bonkers story.

On one hand I agree

On the other it's insanely good

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Hace posted:

On one hand I agree

On the other it's insanely good

That's good to hear, I might pick it up because it does look pretty excellent but I really didn't like Ground Zeroes and I am getting exhausted with open world, "like, make your own fun man" gameplay.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Brad's a fuckwit, are you new here?
I wonder why Brad, Jeff, and Dan don't post here anymore.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Internet posted:

That's good to hear, I might pick it up because it does look pretty excellent but I really didn't like Ground Zeroes and I am getting exhausted with open world, "like, make your own fun man" gameplay.

Why not just do all the missions and side missions and challenges that MGSV (and most open worlds games) is stuffed with? Like you rarely have to make your own fun if you're the kind of person that doesn't want to do that.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
^^^^ because I am worn out on the open world structure of those types of games regardless of the mission types.

WhiteHowler posted:

I wonder why Brad, Jeff, and Dan don't post here anymore.

Because the Giant Bomb thread on the Somethingawful.com comedy forums tells it like it is or rather how it is perceived by weird obsessives. It's like the thread is just GBpremiumStats Twitter.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 2, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm micro managing staff assignments to be perfect and I wish I could stop but I need to. Is this what autism is like.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm micro managing staff assignments to be perfect and I wish I could stop but I need to. Is this what autism is like.

I'd be doing this more if there was a faster way to empty out your assignments.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Rinkles posted:

Tell me the worst thing about MGSV

You can't fall off cliffs when you're crawling

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Hace posted:

When they did the Halo "look up and down" thing, I pushed down just to see if it would automatically invert y-axis and it did. Then I was stuck with an awful camera control designed for sub-humans so I was miserable for the rest of that section.

1/5 stars.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WHAT A LOVELY DAY for an ice cold, refreshing, Rockstar energy drink. Taste the energy!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So do the giantbomb guys know that a lot of the story is in the mission briefings and the audio tapes? It basically replaces the codec and its super important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brad specifically mentioned during the QL that most of the dialog is in the tapes and that you should listen to them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Guess what it's a cover not actually Bowie.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm surprised they all seemed to agree the stealth felt a little off. I feel like everything makes perfect sense and is working just like it did in GZ more or less. It seems like if somebody should be able to see you you're at least going to pique their interest and have them get the flashlight out or go look more closely. It's also been pretty easy for me to know when I am perfectly safe so far. When Drew played GZ he seemed a bit upset that a guy in a tower kept spotting him while he was literally sprinting around in the open.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Brad specifically mentioned during the QL that most of the dialog is in the tapes and that you should listen to them.

My problem with the tapes is I can never find a good time to listen to them. I don't like listening to them during a mission because they are distracting and also get interrupted by Miller or guard radio chat a lot. I don't like just listening to them while I stare at a wall somewhere.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFtNtcCitlw

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nuke korea

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

cheesetriangles posted:

Guess what it's a cover not actually Bowie.

it's a very good cover I hadn't heard before

also as soon as I hit the open world I played it again and took out my first guard post during it and it was perfect

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gently caress, are the Ground Zeroes prisoners that helpful in Phantom Pain, because trying to do this poo poo is so frustrating it's making me hate the gameplay

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress, are the Ground Zeroes prisoners that helpful in Phantom Pain, because trying to do this poo poo is so frustrating it's making me hate the gameplay

This may come as a surprise, but Hideo Kojima has real good stats.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was getting kind of peeved by sutherland's muteness but his performance at the beginning of chapter 2 adequately justifies BB's silence as far as i'm concerned

like instead of just blankly staring at Kaz during his rant he makes a few clumsy, hesitant attempts to comfort him but then withdraws them because he's just as hosed up if not more so, he's keeping his words to the absolute minimum and treating this latest operation like the death march it is

"Kaz...tell me what to do. Like in the old days."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i was getting kind of peeved by sutherland's muteness but his performance at the beginning of chapter 2 adequately justifies BB's silence as far as i'm concerned

like instead of just blankly staring at Kaz during his rant he makes a few clumsy, hesitant attempts to comfort him but then withdraws them because he's just as hosed up if not more so, he's keeping his words to the absolute minimum and treating this latest operation like the death march it is

"Kaz...tell me what to do. Like in the old days."

I can't make up my mind on Solid Sutherland. On the one hand, I can't really say that I don't like his performance. In fact, it kind of brings a world-weary sort of rasp to it that I think really fits this Big Boss. On the other hand, I keep finding myself wondering whether Snake's supposed to be this taciturn outside of the tapes or whether they did in fact have to write around how expensive Keifer is. And while, again, I don't think Sutherland's performance is bad in the slightest, he just doesn't sound anywhere near as comfortable with the role as Hayter got, and that's just kind of a shame given that this is the series' send off.

Have Drew and Dan said anything about when to expect MGScanlonV? I'd love to see Dan and Drew make their first impressions together after Dan steered Drew through all the previous content, but I can also see why they might not do that.

• Locked thread