Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

I wonder why, though. The request for reopening came from the police chief in Bergen, which is somewhat unusual and probably somehow politically motivated. Not that the case doesn't need reopening.

the dude's still new in his job and can't be seen to carry his predecessors' political taint, and Bergens Tidende has been pushing this very hard these last couple of days, including extensive contact with his office. he likely felt pressured by the media shitstorm that would ensue if he stalled the process

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

The thing is that when two drunks stab each other in a shed, there is no collateral damage. Shooting a gun or throwing a grenade is much more dangerous to random people passing by.

A couple of posts ago you said your biggest problem was accidents caused by idiots and drunks, and while I don't know how many people end up dead as a result, accidents undoubtedly cause collateral damage (including random people passing by).

OhYeah posted:

Who said anything about "brown people" in this instance? I don't know the identity of the attackers, because for some reason Swedish media is (self)censoring whenever crimes like this are reported.

You see, when the articles you post are almost invariably about crime carried out by immigrants, and given your incessant fear-mongering about the dangers of (muslim) mass immigration, it's really not that hard to imagine to whom, or what, you're referring. And in the unlikely case that you weren't actually trying to make a point about how bad Sweden has become due to the swarthy newcomers, then you have only yourself to blame for others jumping to that conclusion.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 1, 2015

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Gotta share some facebook wisedom here:

"Some oval office" posted:

"REELLE flyktninger er glad for å ha berget sitt liv ved grense-passeringer. ØKONOMISKE flyktninger reiser dit de vet at ytelsene er best. Prøver du å fortelle meg at det ikke finnes noen trygge land for flyktninger mellom Syria og Norge? Hvilken verden lever du i?"

"Some oval office" posted:

"REAL refugees are happy to save their lives at border crossies. ECONOMIC refugees travvel to whatever country they know they get the best handouts. Are you trying to tell me there are no safe countries between Syria and Norway. What world do you live in?"

There you have it, real refugees wouldn't risk crossing the Mediterranean.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Sorry to break up the thrilling chat about the dangers of immigration. I visited beautiful Stockholm earlier this year and am now aggressively pursuing moving my family there. I am an American iOS developer, not a Syrian.

Is there any reason to be concerned about Russia flying planes around Swedish territory? Also, and someone can PM me, but are Scandinavian companies willing to help move me? I'm happy to help pay, but I don't want relocation to be a 'deal breaker' for employers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been less aggressive than yourself, but for a little bit now I've been eyeballing working in Stockholm since I went there this past spring, too.

Relocation help probably varies on a company-by-company basis. I know at least one company explicitly doesn't offer relocation packages, but you should read into the job postings you're looking at and possibly ask the relevant HR people directly.

The Russians aren't going to invade Sweden anytime soon- the latest submarine scare even turned out to be just a misidentified civilian boat of some sort, iirc.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I always tell my conservative in-laws the same. And then joke about us being war hungry and willing to help an "informal NATO member". My wife and I just decided that we would like to live and exist in Stockholm, and I don't want the move across the ocean to be a deal-breaker for employers. I hope the best for you!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dirk Pitt posted:

Sorry to break up the thrilling chat about the dangers of immigration. I visited beautiful Stockholm earlier this year and am now aggressively pursuing moving my family there. I am an American iOS developer, not a Syrian.

Is there any reason to be concerned about Russia flying planes around Swedish territory? Also, and someone can PM me, but are Scandinavian companies willing to help move me? I'm happy to help pay, but I don't want relocation to be a 'deal breaker' for employers.

Things might be slightly easier in Sweden, being a part of the EU and all, but the general rule for Scandinavian countries has always been that you need a steady, middle-class job waiting for you here to get a permanent visa, and that you're probably not going to get one of those unless you speak the language. There are exceptions to that rule, notably within IT and the more high-end finance or managment positions, but they are incredibly rare. And yes, companies who are willing to import foreign talent usually have relocation services and temporary housing. Good luck!

As for the Russians: Slightly less likely to be on the recieving end of a first-strike nuclear war scenario, but slightly more likely to be invaded by spetsnaz on vacation.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 1, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I dunno about the language requirement for landing a decent tech job- even if a company's based in Stockholm, its biggest markets are probably going to be beyond Sweden, so most of its products are probably going to use English and the working language inside the company may even be English. It's definitely good form to learn Swedish, of course, but lacking a fluent understanding of the Swedish language isn't likely as big a handicap in a tech company as it may be in other industries.*

Plus it seemed like drat well nearly everyone spoke English anyways when I saw a sliver of Stockholm earlier this year.

The basic requirements for getting a work permit don't seem that difficult to deal with, provided you don't put the cart before the horse and try to move there before scoring a job offer.

*I am guessing.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2015

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ofaloaf posted:

I dunno about the language requirement for landing a decent tech job- even if a company's based in Stockholm, its biggest markets are probably going to be beyond Sweden, so most of its products are probably going to use English and the working language inside the company may even be English. It's definitely good form to learn Swedish, of course, but lacking a fluent understanding of the Swedish language isn't likely as big a handicap in a tech company as it may be in other industries.*

Plus it seemed like drat well nearly everyone spoke English anyways when I saw a sliver of Stockholm earlier this year.

The basic requirements for getting a working permit don't seem that difficult to deal with, provided you don't put the cart before the horse and try to move there before scoring a job offer.

*I am guessing.

Every recruiter and HR person I have talked to since I started pursuing this said that for Software Development, Swedish is not a necessary skill. They all do their daily work in English. Several companies I am working with have mentioned that they are made of immigrants and have their own SFI, as well as let people off early to go to SFI.

Not to turn this into a "Find Dirk Pitt a jobb" thread, I am excited to see more of Jamie Akesson, that guy is hilarious (not in a good way if thelocal.se is to be trusted).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Honestly, the biggest hurdle to living and working in Stockholm seems to be housing. Looks like subletting's basically the only reasonable option for someone coming in from overseas, since Lord knows it'd take nearly a decade to score a first-hand contract for an apartment otherwise.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ofaloaf posted:

*I am guessing.

I guess Stockholm might be a more international place? Norwegian is very much a requirement for most tech jobs in Norway, and the domestic market is a huge deal.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Honestly, the biggest hurdle to living and working in Stockholm seems to be housing. Looks like subletting's basically the only reasonable option for someone coming in from overseas, since Lord knows it'd take nearly a decade to score a first-hand contract for an apartment otherwise.

More like 2 decades, if you want to live "centrally".
Of course, you could always cough up a load of money on the mysterious black market for first-hand contracts.

I know that Siemens requires all communication within the company be in English (email etc, if not spoken) so maybe the bigger international firms could be one alternative, if you are not in IT.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

More like 2 decades, if you want to live "centrally".
Of course, you could always cough up a load of money on the mysterious black market for first-hand contracts.

That is a good way to get swindled or outright killed if last years news are to be believed.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Xoidanor posted:

So murder is ok as long as it happens in dipilated sheds instead of on the street? :v:

When did I say that, or even remotely imply it?

Scherloch posted:

A couple of posts ago you said your biggest problem was accidents caused by idiots and drunks, and while I don't know how many people end up dead as a result, accidents undoubtedly cause collateral damage (including random people passing by).

Yes. How does me admitting our biggest problem make Sweden's problem with street crime non-existent?

quote:

You see, when the articles you post are almost invariably about crime carried out by immigrants, and given your incessant fear-mongering about the dangers of (muslim) mass immigration, it's really not that hard to imagine to whom, or what, you're referring. And in the unlikely case that you weren't actually trying to make a point about how bad Sweden has become due to the swarthy newcomers, then you have only yourself to blame for others jumping to that conclusion.

I see, if I don't support the same immigration policies as you that amounts to "fear-mongering"? Got it.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ofaloaf posted:

The Russians aren't going to invade Sweden anytime soon- the latest submarine scare even turned out to be just a misidentified civilian boat of some sort, iirc.

If you are referring to the suspected submarine activity that precipitated the sub hunt/int op in the Stockholm archipelago last year, then this, at least insofar as the Swedish Armed Forces are concerned, is false.

The misidentified civilian vessel you mention is from a separate incident, in which a civilian spotted and took a picture of what he believed to be a sub. This some time after the actual sub hunt, if I'm not misremembering.

Irregardless, the Swedish Armed Forces confirmed submarine activity. Nationality unknown.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Nice try Mahmoud.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is there any reason to be concerned about Russia flying planes around Swedish territory?

Yes, although not so much for you personally.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 1, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OhYeah posted:

When did I say that, or even remotely imply it?

You phrased it as if it happening in the street made it more significant despite having the exact same outcome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xoidanor posted:

You phrased it as if it happening in the street made it more significant despite having the exact same outcome.
I think it was blatantly clear that it was the fact that street violence, in particular that which involves long ranged or indiscriminate weaponry like guns and grenades, is more likely to have collateral damage than fights between drunks away from the public. In the ideal situation the two might be equal, but stray bullets and shrapnel can maim or kill people who are otherwise completely uninvolved in the violence, which seems much less likely for private affairs like knife fights in sheds.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's transgressive, so the bourgeois is especially ruffled.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think it was blatantly clear that it was the fact that street violence, in particular that which involves long ranged or indiscriminate weaponry like guns and grenades, is more likely to have collateral damage than fights between drunks away from the public. In the ideal situation the two might be equal, but stray bullets and shrapnel can maim or kill people who are otherwise completely uninvolved in the violence, which seems much less likely for private affairs like knife fights in sheds.

You're more likely to get killed by a car while crossing the road then you ever are by a stray gunshot, this is true for even the most criminal parts of Sweden where these incidents actually happen and bystanders do occasionally die.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xoidanor posted:

You're more likely to get killed by a car while crossing the road then you ever are by a stray gunshot, this is true for even the most criminal parts of Sweden where these incidents actually happen and bystanders do occasionally die.
That's a perfectly fine reply to the original post. Now you just need to work on your reading comprehension so you reply to the person presenting the argument, rather than the one explaining it to you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's is not an eyerollying emote large enough in the world.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a perfectly fine reply to the original post. Now you just need to work on your reading comprehension so you reply to the person presenting the argument, rather than the one explaining it to you.

Xoidanor posted:

Indeed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Xoidanor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Another Muslim graveyard razed.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/2015-09-01-muslimsk-gravplads-skaendet-50-gravsten-vaeltet-og-smadret

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

What's going on here?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's going on here?

Second time in as many months that a Muslim cemetery was razed in Denmark.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y

It just feels so natural to use :allears:

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

And there'll always be an occasion. :)

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I visited beautiful Stockholm earlier this year and am now aggressively pursuing moving my family there.

Congrats and welcome!

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am an American iOS developer, not a Syrian.

Oh, sorry to get your hopes up. Have you tried Canada?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is there any reason to be concerned about Russia flying planes around Swedish territory?
Well, there is some danger that they'll fall apart midair and crash but the likelihood to be hit by wreckage is so small you can safely ignore it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The more time I spend in rural Frankfurt the more I'm missing Stockholm, and rural Sweden for that matter. :sweden:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just gonna leave this here, you know, because

http://www.nrk.no/kultur/finske-nettaviser-stenger-sine-kommentarfelt-1.12529600

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's going on here?

Drunk danish fucks being idiots.

I guess it technically could be an attempt at provocation. I'm sure there are armchair race-warriors calling for this kind of thing hoping for some kind of confrontation, but most of the time it just turns out that someone with nothing better to do got drunk and thought it might give them a high to act out a bit.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Biomute posted:

Drunk danish fucks being idiots.

I'm sorry, two incidents in as many months, with 50-60 gravestones being smashed each time, is not just drunken hijinks.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I did not mean to make it sounds like them being drunk makes the act any less bad, but when this kind of thing happens it usually ends with the police catching a couple of smashed punks with sledgehammers.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

SplitSoul posted:

I'm sorry, two incidents in as many months, with 50-60 gravestones being smashed each time, is not just drunken hijinks.

Is Scandinavia struggling with Islam? My wife and I live in Oklahoma and are used to stories about area Muslims being harassed and their places of worship being defiled. I can't imagine someone loving with a cemetery here, but if there were one, I'm sure it would happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is Scandinavia struggling with Islam? My wife and I live in Oklahoma and are used to stories about area Muslims being harassed and their places of worship being defiled. I can't imagine someone loving with a cemetery here, but if there were one, I'm sure it would happen.

I think in Texas(?) there was a story about people trying to block a Muslim graveyard from being built, but that's about it.

Believe it or not, the US is actually way ahead of the curve in terms of integrating minorities.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

I think in Texas(?) there was a story about people trying to block a Muslim graveyard from being built, but that's about it.

Believe it or not, the US is actually way ahead of the curve in terms of integrating minorities.

If you consider American prisons and what is happening in your agriculture industry integration, yeah. Otherwise, :lol:

Say what you want about Scandinavia but at least we made an effort to get rid of our institutionalized discrimination instead of embracing it and making it a core aspect of our economy.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

Yes. How does me admitting our biggest problem make Sweden's problem with street crime non-existent?
I'm just saying, making Swedish street crime out to be some huge problem while downplaying the severity of idiots and drunks killing themselves and others with their cars is a tad retarded. Let's put it like this, the murder rate in Estonia is higher than the murder- and traffic related death rate in Sweden combined (based on the latest available figures I could find through some quick googling). So fix your own country first, then you can come back and tell us why moslems are bad.

OhYeah posted:

I see, if I don't support the same immigration policies as you that amounts to "fear-mongering"? Got it.
Yes, totally what I said.

Let me be more clear: When you keep referring to it as mass-immigration, when you talk about how "there are a large number of people with a specific ethnic, regional and religious background who are causing massive problems in your society", and when you post poo poo like, "If you want to destroy your country, go right ahead", that's pure loving fear-mongering. No one here will be influenced by that poo poo, of course, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Scherloch posted:

.... while downplaying the severity of idiots and drunks killing themselves and others with their cars is....

Well no-one here is shedding any tears for those guys, they live from a welfare payment to another welfare payment, getting shitfaced near the local village store.

Drunks killing themselves with their cars is just evolution taking it's natural course, we just hope no innocents get in the way. Prison sentences do not seem to work because they are released rather quickly.

• Locked thread