Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, we all know now that the Moto X Play is going to end up on Verizon as the MAXX 2. What about the Turbo 2?

At first, people thought it was going to be a rebranded X Pure/Style. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. There were a few rumors floating about the Turbo 2 having a "shatterproof" display with a few other spec differences from the Pure/Style.

Well, now, it seems we have its doppleganger (likely for non-us markets) in the Moto X Force which shares all the rumored specs for the Turbo 2.

http://www.androidcentral.com/shatterproof-moto-x-force-leaked-543-inch-qhd-display-and-snapdragon-810

quote:

the phone will feature a 5.43-inch QHD display, Snapdragon 810 (MSM8994) SoC, 32/64GB internal storage and a 3,760mAh battery.

So, yay on the giant battery and it will be approximately the same size as the outgoing Turbo 2/Moto MAXX. 810 could be a bit of a liability though.

At any rate, this is likely another Moto handset like the Play that the US won't get because this is almost certainly going to be a Verizon exclusive as the "Turbo 2".

Codename for the phone seems to be "Bounce" and the outer band may be rubberized for durability. The "shatterproof" display is supposedly a newer plastic based flexible OLED panel (I guess similar to what was in the LG flex.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

So, we all know now that the Moto X Play is going to end up on Verizon as the MAXX 2. What about the Turbo 2?

At first, people thought it was going to be a rebranded X Pure/Style. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. There were a few rumors floating about the Turbo 2 having a "shatterproof" display with a few other spec differences from the Pure/Style.

Well, now, it seems we have its doppleganger (likely for non-us markets) in the Moto X Force which shares all the rumored specs for the Turbo 2.

http://www.androidcentral.com/shatterproof-moto-x-force-leaked-543-inch-qhd-display-and-snapdragon-810

So, yay on the giant battery and it will be approximately the same size as the outgoing Turbo 2/Moto MAXX. 810 could be a bit of a liability though.

At any rate, this is likely another Moto handset like the Play that the US won't get because this is almost certainly going to be a Verizon exclusive as the "Turbo 2".

Codename for the phone seems to be "Bounce" and the outer band may be rubberized for durability. The "shatterproof" display is supposedly a newer plastic based flexible OLED panel (I guess similar to what was in the LG flex.)

Snapdragon 810, eh?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm Canadian and have used Here maps to drive/walk all over the US west coast without any data at all. Even in places like downtown SF it worked great.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

There's a new kickstarter for an interesting phone that seamlessly moves your apps and data to/from a 100GB cloud drive, based on age and usage. It leaves behind a small thumbnail or placeholder so you can fetch stuff back easily. It seems like a cool idea, has good specs and a nice design aesthetic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextbit/robin-the-smarter-smartphone

With the exception of apps, I can upload all of my data automatically to the cloud.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

There's a new kickstarter for an interesting phone that seamlessly moves your apps and data to/from a 100GB cloud drive, based on age and usage. It leaves behind a small thumbnail or placeholder so you can fetch stuff back easily. It seems like a cool idea, has good specs and a nice design aesthetic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextbit/robin-the-smarter-smartphone

Seems like a very trivial thing to base a phone around, especially such that what makes it different will garner no attention from the 95% of consumers who know nothing

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Have we heard anything about when this moto x preorder thing is going live?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the subject of active display and LCD screens, the more I think about it the more I realize that the power use difference is likely minimal.

Backlights on all of these devices are LEDs anyways and while they are brighter and use more power than the individual pixels on an OLED display, the actual impact on the battery in the grand scheme of things is likely tiny on the capacity batteries we are talking about here. Also, depending on how they arrange the backlight, it's possible that they aren't even engaging the whole backlight to display one icon in the center of the display and the ones they are engaging are a fraction of their normal brightness.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Have we heard anything about when this moto x preorder thing is going live?

Preorders begin this afternoon (3 PM Eastern time, I believe).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

Seems like a very trivial thing to base a phone around, especially such that what makes it different will garner no attention from the 95% of consumers who know nothing

I agree and I hate the "cloud vs data caps" spot the US wireless market is in. They did, however, hit their month long funding goal in 12 hours so they have some interest. As I said it's still a solid phone for 399 without the cloud gimmick.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting, I've recently had trouble with Google Maps using a crapload of data too. Thought it had something to do with getting a new phone and not having my usual routes cached, but maybe not. It used to be fine...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Preorders begin this afternoon (3 PM Eastern time, I believe).

Right in the middle of my meeting, thanks Motorola! :(

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Sir Lemming posted:

Interesting, I've recently had trouble with Google Maps using a crapload of data too. Thought it had something to do with getting a new phone and not having my usual routes cached, but maybe not. It used to be fine...

Perhaps it's all of the traffic / construction data being used. Or how it updates approximate times for alternate routes as you drive

If you don't need those features there should be an option to disable them to conserve data, if possible

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Sony just announced their Z5 phone lineup including a Z5 Compact (yay), a "normal" Z5, an the Z5 premium, a 5.5 Inch phone with a 4k Screen, because that's apparently something people want.

https://www.androidpit.com/breaking-sony-unveils-new-xperia-z-devices

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Sorry to interrupt the Touchwiz and iPhone chat, but Best Phone is finally announced:

quote:

The regular-sized Xperia Z5 comes with the familiar 5.2-inch diagonal established with the Z2, and the Z5 Compact retains the 4.6 inches of the last Z3 Compact. The Z5 has a FullHD panel with a 428ppi density, while the Compact sticks to 720p resolution, resulting in 323ppi. Both displays are IPS units with the TRILUMINOUS and X-reality technologies inside and undisclosed make chemical tempered glass on top.

The mighty Snapdragon 810 powers both smartphones with a dual quad-core CPU, ticking at up to 2GHz, and Adreno 430 GPU. You get 3GB of RAM on the vanilla model, but only 2GB on the Compact. Both models will have 32GB of built-in storage, though the Compact may ship with half than in certain markets. The microSD slot is universally available, though. The entire Xperia Z5 family will run on Android 5.1.1 upon launch.

Number one on the new features list is the 23MP camera. It uses a custom-made sensor, exclusive to Sony, housed behind a 24mm-equivalent f/2.0 lens. The sensor’s effective area is actually larger, as we’ll try to explain, and you’ll be able to shoot 23MP images in 4:3 aspect or 20MP in 16:9. The camera app has been thoroughly redesigned as well for a more contemporary look and improved usability.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_z5_compact_announced_with_23mp_camera-news-13812.php

quote:

Capturing and displaying true to live images has long been close to Sony's heart and today they revitalized that passion. The Sony Xperia Z5 Premium is the first to reach the next benchmark in display smartphone technology – 4K resolution – and comes with a much-improved camera to match.

The 4K Triluminos display is an IPS panel has 3,840 x 2,160px resolution, that's four times 1080p or just over 8MP. It puts 806ppi pixel density in the palm of your hand for crystal clarity of 4K footage from Netflix, YouTube or some that you've shot yourself.

You can do that with the brand new camera, the first major upgrade since the Z1. The Xperia Z5 Premium packs a new 1/2.3" Exmor RS sensor with 23MP resolution (shared with the other Z5s). The sensor sits behind a Sony G Lens with an f/2.0 aperture and tech borrowed from Sony's α line of lenses.

The camera captures 4K videos with improved Intelligent Active Mode and SteadyShot technology for smooth, sharp videos at day and at night. ISO for videos goes up to 3,200, for photos the maximum jumps to 12,800.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_with_worlds_first_4k_screen_unveiled-news-13808.php

Edit Specs:

quote:

- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G Network: LTE 700 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600
- Nano SIM
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Dual Band, DLNA, Wi - Fi Direct/HotSpot, Bluetooth v4.1 With A2DP/APT-X, MicroUSB v2.0 (MHL 3.0 TV-Out) , USB Host And NFC
- GPS With A-GPS Support And GLONASS
- Dimensions: 146 x 72 x 7.3 mm
- Weight: 154 Grams.
- Display 5.2" IPS LCD FullHD (~424 Ppi Pixel Density) With Triluminos Display, X-Reality Engine And Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
- 32 GigaBytes Memory Internal
- Expansive Memory Up To 200 Gigabytes
- 3 GigaBytes Ram LPDDR4
- CPU Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810 Quad - Core 2.0 GHz Cortex A57 And Quad - Core 1.5 GHz Cortex A53 (SemiConductor Technology 20 nm HPM HK-MG)
- GPU Adreno 430 (Quad - Core Graphics @650 MHz)
- Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) With Sony UI
- Office Document Viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint And Reader PDF)
- Camera 23 MP With Pulse Led Flash
- CamCorder UltraHD 2160p @30 FPS
- 5 MP Front Facing Camera For Video Chat And CamCorder FullHD 1080p @30 FPS
- Dolby Mobile Sound Enhancement
- Stereo FM Radio With RDS
- Standard Battery Li-Ion 2900 mAh (Non-Removable) With Fast Battery Charging: 60% In 30 Min (Quick Charge 2.0)
- Waterproof And Dust Tight (IP65 And IP68)
- Available Black, White, Gold And Green Colors

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally I can watch all my pirated 4K animes in their original resolution on a 5.7" screen as the glorious creators intended!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
4K and 810? It's gonna burn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

4K and 810? It's gonna chug.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

halokiller posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Touchwiz and iPhone chat, but Best Phone is finally announced:

I think you mean Hell Phone. As in hot as hell.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What the gently caress is this trend of putting ridiculously sized resolutions on these tiny screens? I thought 720p was fine on my Moto X first gen, I could barely tell where pixels started and ended. What the gently caress is 4k doing on a tiny screen :wtc:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

What the gently caress is this trend of putting ridiculously sized resolutions on these tiny screens? I thought 720p was fine on my Moto X first gen, I could barely tell where pixels started and ended. What the gently caress is 4k doing on a tiny screen :wtc:
It looks better for spec-sheet shoppers (half the people in this thread).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Thermopyle posted:

I think you mean Hell Phone. As in hot as hell.

Don't forget fragile because they're keeping the glass backs. :dance:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

halokiller posted:

Don't forget fragile because they're keeping the glass backs. :dance:

At least they aren't putting a Qi coil in there.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

halokiller posted:

I'm completely torn between the this, the Nexus 5 2015, and the Venice (I'm assuming T-Mo gets all three, which is a pretty reasonable assumption to make). Native PS4 remote play and the camera is probably gonna push the Xperia to the top, but the idea of having a hardware keyboard in TYOOL 2015 is so delightfully absurd...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

galahan posted:

The real reason removable battery is no longer a thing is for big brother style monitoring even while the phone is off, right? :tinfoil:
Your booster packs of whatever they are called don't help that do they?
I ought to sell lead or Faraday cage boxes.

More likely to force users to upgrade when their batteries degrade after <1 year, with no option to get the internal battery replaced for most manufacturers.

My N5 has OK battery life when new, garbag after a year of use, now acceptable again after I opened it up and swapped the battery.
Warranty voided of course, which would likewise prevent most users from doing it.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The reviews of the Moto X Play I read indicated that battery life was pretty great. It may be that Motorola is doing some hardcore throttling to achieve that though since their own Moto G review specifically mentions how smooth everything is. I know benchmarks are kind of dumb, but I did notice that the Idol 3 benchmarks 25% higher than the X Play even though they theoretically are using identical silicon.

Yup, the android police review said that the 615 uses too much power, so it gets throttled down to bad-performance levels to improve battery life. Thus making the chip pointless garbage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I'm completely torn between the this, the Nexus 5 2015, and the Venice (I'm assuming T-Mo gets all three, which is a pretty reasonable assumption to make). Native PS4 remote play and the camera is probably gonna push the Xperia to the top, but the idea of having a hardware keyboard in TYOOL 2015 is so delightfully absurd...

It's got an 810, why would you even consider it?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

It's got an 810, why would you even consider it?

I currently have a Nexus 6, I'm used to a phone than can sometimes double as a cooking surface.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) running the latest AT&T Update (3.4.0-4432708 dpi@SWHD7515 #1 build LRX21T.G900AUCU4BOF3) and I am trying to root it to access some files.

I tried towelroot, but when I click the "make it ra1n" button, I receive an error saying this device is not supported.

Any ideas?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

lelandjs posted:

I currently have a Nexus 6, I'm used to a phone than can sometimes double as a cooking surface.

My N6 never gets warm during use, only when Qi charging. gently caress you doin dawg

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Lol 4k Sony Z5 with an 810. I hope it's a good phone though, in case it's their last.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Z5: hellphone, no qi, and no type C.

Wtf Sony?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerve posted:

My N6 never gets warm during use, only when Qi charging. gently caress you doin dawg

Well right now I have it plugged in and am forums postin' and it's a little toasty. I played Hearthstone on it for an hour or two a few months back and it actually got so warm I got concerned and switched it off for a little while.

[Edit: apparently this is a thing that happens when you have the phone plugged into the turbo charger]

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Bob A Feet posted:

I thought Google maps cached maps tbh. I don't know why.

It does but it's kind of a hidden feature. Type "ok maps" in the search bar in maps and it will prompt you to pan/zoom to the area you want to download.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

raej posted:

I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) running the latest AT&T Update (3.4.0-4432708 dpi@SWHD7515 #1 build LRX21T.G900AUCU4BOF3) and I am trying to root it to access some files.

I tried towelroot, but when I click the "make it ra1n" button, I receive an error saying this device is not supported.

Any ideas?
I have a good idea: try the rooting thread.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Edit: I'm an idiot, forgot throttling is the issue with the 810]

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
That z5 or the new iphone is gonna replace my real hellphone (cus its so poo poo) note 4

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

raej posted:

Any ideas?
OF3 isn't rootable yet and the phone has a locked bootloader so you're out of luck for now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: I'm an idiot, forgot throttling is the issue with the 810]

It's really the same issue, early review / Japan release devices with the 810 got dangerously hot, so they "fixed" the problem with aggressive thermal throttling.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

It's really the same issue, early review / Japan release devices with the 810 got dangerously hot, so they "fixed" the problem with aggressive thermal throttling.

Ah. Well, in any occasion, this guy recorded 10 minutes of 4k video on the Z5 and didn't observe any heat issues so I'm optimistic that it won't be a hellphone after all!

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 2, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

lelandjs posted:

Well right now I have it plugged in and am forums postin' and it's a little toasty. I played Hearthstone on it for an hour or two a few months back and it actually got so warm I got concerned and switched it off for a little while.

[Edit: apparently this is a thing that happens when you have the phone plugged into the turbo charger]

I've never use the phone while on the turbo charger (usually let it just sit there) so I guess i've never noticed that, my N6 is definitely never very warm at all during normal use or on a normal charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the nicker posted:

It does but it's kind of a hidden feature. Type "ok maps" in the search bar in maps and it will prompt you to pan/zoom to the area you want to download.
This was true for when new maps launched, then they re-added it properly. Select any location so that the bar appears at the button, tap on that bar, and then there's an option to save a map area in the overflow menu (top right) and you can pan/zoom before it saves. It is limited to a city-ish sized area but you can just save multiple areas. I have to use two to save all of London (UK).