Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

porkface posted:

While we're on the topic of optimal client setups for Plex, is the Nexus Player capable of doing native streaming?

I currently play most files through an old Macbook with a Logitech remote, and it's nice that RWD and FF are pretty instantaneous on files that aren't transcoded. But for transcoded files on my Chromecast, it takes 5-10 seconds for any jumping to happen and playback to resume. It's generally not worth the wait if I missed something, and it's hard to tell where I'm skipping ahead so we generally just don't skip.

My server (and client) is an old Macbook Pro pre 2012 so it doesn't have the oompf to do super high def stuff. Is FF and RWD when transcoding a better experience with a i5 or better processor?

Nexus player with kodi sideloaded can play any media file you throw at it. No transcoding required. Even those weird bitrate animes work fine.

One of the caveat is poor qc based on my experience. I had to RMA twice to get a working one. The first one had frequent remote and WiFi disconnects. The second had HDMI audio hiccups. Then again I have absolutely terrible luck with Asus products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porkface posted:

While we're on the topic of optimal client setups for Plex, is the Nexus Player capable of doing native streaming?

A Nexus Player should be able to Direct Play anything your Plex server throws at it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

A Nexus Player should be able to Direct Play anything your Plex server throws at it.

This may be the case, but with the plex client RW/FFD is terrible. It frequents takes forever to buffer, I don't know if I need to drop the quality down or whatever. Running 5ghz wifi as I haven't bothered with a OTG ethernet adapter yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

This may be the case, but with the plex client RW/FFD is terrible. It frequents takes forever to buffer, I don't know if I need to drop the quality down or whatever. Running 5ghz wifi as I haven't bothered with a OTG ethernet adapter yet.

Even when content is being Direct Played? I've only had issues with FF/RW when content is being transcoded. Direct Played content on my Moto G (2014) has no FF/RW issues in the Plex app.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Even when content is being Direct Played? I've only had issues with FF/RW when content is being transcoded. Direct Played content on my Moto G (2014) has no FF/RW issues in the Plex app.

I don't know, I suppose I can check tonight. Is the easiest way to tell still the plex web UI?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

I don't know, I suppose I can check tonight. Is the easiest way to tell still the plex web UI?

I don't have a Nexus Player, but assuming the Plex Android TV app is the same as the Android mobile app, during playback of a movie/tv show/whatever, pause it then hit the gear/settings icon. There should be an option to tick a checkbox that says "Display information overlay" that will let you know if whatever you're watching is being Direct Played, Direct Streamed, or Transcoded. Other info it provides is the video resolution and if you're using the experimental or legacy player built into Plex. Not sure if that option is exclusive to the Android mobile app, but otherwise, yeah, you can check to see if content is being transcoded via the web app.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I hope this hasn't been covered to death but how do you deal with stuck indexing? It drives me nuts how I always have to reindex my library manually because the scheduled indexing always breaks. It seems like they don't have timeouts or something with the scans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

I hope this hasn't been covered to death but how do you deal with stuck indexing? It drives me nuts how I always have to reindex my library manually because the scheduled indexing always breaks. It seems like they don't have timeouts or something with the scans.

By reindexing, do you mean refreshing/updating your libraries?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

teagone posted:

By reindexing, do you mean refreshing/updating your libraries?

Yeah sorry that. I usually have to go in and cancel update and then start it again. I know it is probably because one update task is running into the next. I wish there was a way for sonarr to just tell it exactly what was just updated so it could look just at that one item. (Maybe you can?)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

Yeah sorry that. I usually have to go in and cancel update and then start it again. I know it is probably because one update task is running into the next. I wish there was a way for sonarr to just tell it exactly what was just updated so it could look just at that one item. (Maybe you can?)

Not sure, I personally have the auto-updating options turned off and manually refresh my libraries whenever I add new content. That said, have you tried un-ticking the "Update my library automatically" and "Update my library periodically" options but only leave on the option to "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" under the Server -> Library settings?

[edit] Oh wait, seems running a partial scan when changes are detected works in tandem with updating your library automatically.

More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289306-Update-or-Refresh-a-Library and here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289526-Library

Is some of your content located on your home network and not locally on your Plex server?

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Guys, the majority of my video library does not play nice with Plex when I am trying to use Direct Play. Instead, it almost always requires transcoding. Would converting everything to mp4 allow for Direct Play? If so, then what is the recommended method/tool/configuration when converting so that I retain as high of quality as possible. I don't care about disk space much since I got a lot and it is relatively cheap in general.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

Guys, the majority of my video library does not play nice with Plex when I am trying to use Direct Play. Instead, it almost always requires transcoding. Would converting everything to mp4 allow for Direct Play? If so, then what is the recommended method/tool/configuration when converting so that I retain as high of quality as possible. I don't care about disk space much since I got a lot and it is relatively cheap in general.

Well the client device is what dictates whether or not content can be direct played/streamed or transcoded. What device or devices are you using to watch content from your Plex server?

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green
Is Plex playback on the Chromecast broken with the latest builds? I'm having a lot of trouble playing back anything higher than a 4mbps transcoded stream from my Plex server on the Chromecast. This wasn't a problem for me before I upgraded the server software a week or two ago, could do 8mbps streams just fine. For reference, the server CPU is a Xeon x5460 (Quad core). Also, I've noticed higher CPU loads on the latest server versions when transcoding. Chromecast is located adjacent to wireless access point, sustains 12mbps down with a speed test app I found.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

teagone posted:

Well the client device is what dictates whether or not content can be direct played/streamed or transcoded. What device or devices are you using to watch content from your Plex server?

Roku 3

Usually, when I attempt to use Direct Play with most of my content the video streams perfectly fine but I get no sound. This problem does not occur when transcoding. I noticed a pattern where a lot of my mp4 files streamed the video and audio just fine with Direct Play so I thought that might be the issue but that could have been a coincidence since my sample set was small.

Any ideas?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

teagone posted:

Not sure, I personally have the auto-updating options turned off and manually refresh my libraries whenever I add new content. That said, have you tried un-ticking the "Update my library automatically" and "Update my library periodically" options but only leave on the option to "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" under the Server -> Library settings?

[edit] Oh wait, seems running a partial scan when changes are detected works in tandem with updating your library automatically.

More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289306-Update-or-Refresh-a-Library and here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289526-Library

Is some of your content located on your home network and not locally on your Plex server?

Everything is on a NAS... I can probably change it over to my SAN and make a iscsi connection to it and see if automatic updates works then. Thanks that is pretty useful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

Roku 3

Usually, when I attempt to use Direct Play with most of my content the video streams perfectly fine but I get no sound. This problem does not occur when transcoding. I noticed a pattern where a lot of my mp4 files streamed the video and audio just fine with Direct Play so I thought that might be the issue but that could have been a coincidence since my sample set was small.

Any ideas?

Is your Roku 3 hooked up to an audio/video receiver? Or is it just connected directly to your tv?

I can assume that if its the latter, the mp4 files are being directly played without issue because the audio is likely a 2.0 stereo AAC stream or something equivalent that the Roku can spit out with no issues. The reason why you'd only be getting video and no audio when direct playing like an MKV or whatever other file is because the Roku can't output the kind of audio stream that your Plex server is sending it, e.g., the file Plex is serving up could maybe have a 5.1 DTS or AC3 track that the Roku can't output. The reason that problem doesn't occur when transcoding is because the Plex server is transcoding the file into a package that the Roku can properly output. Now, if your Roku is hooked up to an AVR that is DTS/DD 5.1 capable it should be able to let audio stream pass-thru and direct play anything you throw at it. From what I remember, this does require some changes to be made in both the Roku settings and the Plex app settings (I no longer have my Roku 3 to verify this).

At the very least, you should be able to "Direct Stream" content, in that Plex will directly send the video stream (with no video quality loss) from your files but will transcode the audio to a format that the Roku can properly output if necessary, regardless if the Roku is connected to an AVR or not.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 17, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

corded ware culture posted:

Is Plex playback on the Chromecast broken with the latest builds? I'm having a lot of trouble playing back anything higher than a 4mbps transcoded stream from my Plex server on the Chromecast. This wasn't a problem for me before I upgraded the server software a week or two ago, could do 8mbps streams just fine. For reference, the server CPU is a Xeon x5460 (Quad core). Also, I've noticed higher CPU loads on the latest server versions when transcoding. Chromecast is located adjacent to wireless access point, sustains 12mbps down with a speed test app I found.

Mine has been pretty lovely lately yeah. I have to manually bump the quality down to 4mbps just to not have it skip around.

Also PlexPy loving owns - pretty nice if you have a multi-user setup and want to keep better track of what is happening.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

teagone posted:

At the very least, you should be able to "Direct Stream" content, in that Plex will directly send the video stream (with no video quality loss) from your files but will transcode the audio to a format that the Roku can properly output if necessary, regardless if the Roku is connected to an AVR or not.

It is directly hooked up to my TV. Your description makes a lot of sense though.

How do I configure my setup so it direct streams video and transcodes audio? I did not know that was possible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

It is directly hooked up to my TV. Your description makes a lot of sense though.

How do I configure my setup so it direct streams video and transcodes audio? I did not know that was possible.

I don't have a Roku 3 on hand to know exactly where the setting is, but under the Plex channel settings, you have the following options for playback:

More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204275243-Preferences

Select the Direct Stream/Transcode option so that the default playback method is Direct Stream. Otherwise, if you want to select the option manually, I believe before you play any content, there's "Playback Options" you can mess with that will allow you to select Direct Play, Transcode, Direct Stream, etc. Or it might be "Playback Method" I forgot. If it says Auto or Direct Play, change that to Direct Stream. I'm not sure if the Direct Play/ fallback will use Direct Stream or fully transcode if it can't Direct Play the content your Plex server is sending.

[edit] That said, either way since your Roku is hooked up to your TV directly, a majority of content is going to be either Direct Stream or transcoded simply because most TVs don't support like DTS or DD/AC3 audio streams that the Roku might want to throw at it if you choose Direct Play.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 18, 2015

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So I stream over a wireless network to my Chromecast through my phone and channels never actually work properly - it constantly buffers and fucks around or sometimes just straight up refuses to load videos. Streaming local media is never an issue at 1mbps, and I've switched quality settings to 320kbps through both the PC and phone but it just never fixes itself, any ideas?

I bought the app via Amazon about a year ago and am also getting almost weekly updates to the app now, too - is switching back to an earlier version possible/could it work?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cool thing I stumbled upon in Windows 10. I can right click any music, photo, or video file in explorer on a Windows 10 device and cast it to Plex Home Theater on my HTPC.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 19, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

First off that renaming program worked perfectly. Thanks everyone who recommended it.

Second, is there a way to do folder art in folder view? I like having my stuff by genre, and this would be perfect for that, but I don't see a way to do it. Which is a bummer. Is there something I'm missing or a way to cheat it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

First off that renaming program worked perfectly. Thanks everyone who recommended it.

Second, is there a way to do folder art in folder view? I like having my stuff by genre, and this would be perfect for that, but I don't see a way to do it. Which is a bummer. Is there something I'm missing or a way to cheat it?

Quick search on the Plex forums says that poster art doesn't show up in the "By Folder" view unfortunately. Posters only shows in the "Library" views, e.g., All, On Deck, Recently Released, etc.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's probably been answered before but has anyone else had a problem with the ios app cutting episodes of TV short while streaming? The app crashes back to the home screen and if I restart it then I can continue from where it cut off.

I don't get the problem on the same files streaming to my android or Chromecast. My wife is going insane with it at the moment...

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green

kri kri posted:

Mine has been pretty lovely lately yeah. I have to manually bump the quality down to 4mbps just to not have it skip around.

Also PlexPy loving owns - pretty nice if you have a multi-user setup and want to keep better track of what is happening.

FWIW I installed the pre-release version of Plex Media Server and it's fixed my Chromecast issues, it seems. Forked over $5 for a month of Plex Pass to download it after I read that some others had issues solved with the transcoder update in the release. Much faster transcoding speeds and no skipping on the Chromecast . Maybe it's an issue matching profiles? I dunno.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Has anybody switched from Kodi (XBMC) to Plex? Can you give me your reasons and impressions?

I've been a very, very long time Kodi/XBMC supporter. I've even used it on my original X-Box and I've kept following and using it over the years. My current setup is a dedicated HTPC running Ubuntu and Kodi 15.1. Kodi connects directly to my NAS using NFS (on my Solaris/ZFS storage box). Everything is lightning fast and works perfectly.

However, I really like some of the features of Plex. For example, during downtime at work I'd like to stream movies/television shows to my iPad. Right now I use Air Video (iOS) but something more-integrated into my media catalog would be great. I also really like the Plex web interface where I can change artwork and organize my collection, etc.

My concern is that Plex doesn't have a stable Linux client which means I'll need to use Windows and that worries about Window management (i.e. windows coming on top of the Plex interface, etc), and the "appliance" of my Ubuntu box. I also wonder about network speed even when using direct-playback. (Does everything stream through the Plex server, or would it pass network URIs to the clients so it could be accessed directly?)

Anybody have any other advice or information they could share?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I switched from Kodi to Plex about 2 years ago, and I'd also used Kodi since it was on the original xbox.

The main, and to be honest pretty much only, negative I ever came into was that channels on Plex just aren't as good as add ons for XBMC. If you rely on some of these, you might want to have a Kodi client running on machines too just for those.

I switched for 2 reasons -

* I had an Apple TV 2 and the lack of jailbreak for ATV3 meant I couldn't use a ton of features that a box that cost half as much as I could sell it for had. Also he XBMC app wasn't the most stable port, and it had issues with a few things.

* Kodi's lack of client/server split was quite annoying and it didn't handle having multiple clients as smoothly (lot of messing about with dbs and the like to get it running, although once setup it was generally fine).

I don't regret moving over, the mobile app is useful for syncing things to. I've never once had an issue with window management, possibly because both Kodi and Plex use an overlay and take over the screen fully. From memory it passes network streams directly if it can, but re-encodes if it needs to. However, playing network URLs is not plex's strong point (although you can 'Plex It' on web pages and that works sometimes, I've never really messed with it much mind).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I switched for 2 reasons -

* I had an Apple TV 2 and the lack of jailbreak for ATV3 meant I couldn't use a ton of features that a box that cost half as much as I could sell it for had. Also he XBMC app wasn't the most stable port, and it had issues with a few things.

* Kodi's lack of client/server split was quite annoying and it didn't handle having multiple clients as smoothly (lot of messing about with dbs and the like to get it running, although once setup it was generally fine).
Exactly my reasons. I've been using Plex for 2 plus years with no issues. It's been running on a Win7 box for the whole time. But I'm never watching anything at the box, it's always streamed out to a phone, tablet, or chromecast or firestick.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone have any tips for getting rwd/ffw to work better on my Nexus player? Latest app, latest server version and the experience is dreadful if I need to fast forward on this thing. I have little to no issues with my mobile apps, would getting an ethernet USB otg be worth it? Running 5ghz wifi at the moment.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

When I turned on my Roku last night, the Plex app was totally new. Do these things update automatically?

Anyway, so much better than the terrible old app. Actually able to browse through my entire movie and TV collections without having to click through 10 random menus and scrolling for ages.

Might replace my Fire TV as my default Plex device.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tonic posted:

When I turned on my Roku last night, the Plex app was totally new. Do these things update automatically?
Roku does that, yeah.

How are you feeling by the way? Completely screwed over?

https://envoy510.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/plex-clusterfuck/

quote:

When I selected the Plex app, however, I saw was a message asking me to go to a URL and type in a PIN.

Hold it right there. Friday night. Hot food on the table. You want me to do what? Are you kidding me? I’m already pissed off to start this process.

This is some of the worst first world problems I've seen.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 30, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My comment on his page is in moderation. Something tells me it won't get published.

quote:

I too get so annoyed at having to use a PIN system to verify my account that takes 5 seconds because I don’t suck at password management, I feel the need to write 12 paragraphs on the internet to cry about it.

e: Just to clarify, using the website to PIN verify is really great and useful. My housemate always adds Plex to his machines, and I'll do the web verify for him so he doesn't even have to worry about logins himself (because it's not his account).

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 30, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting rwd/ffw to work better on my Nexus player? Latest app, latest server version and the experience is dreadful if I need to fast forward on this thing. I have little to no issues with my mobile apps, would getting an ethernet USB otg be worth it? Running 5ghz wifi at the moment.

Is your content being direct played or is it being transcoded when sent to your Nexus player?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Is your content being direct played or is it being transcoded when sent to your Nexus player?

Direct played according to plex web.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

Direct played according to plex web.

Hmm, yeah doing a quick search others with a Nexus Player seem to have the same issue with crippled FF/RW even with direct played content. Maybe it's an Android TV bug? Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I have the new Plex app for Roku and I was wondering if there is a way to set it to view my content "By Folder" like I used to in the old app? Really missing that a lot right now to the point where it is nearly a deal breaker for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was missing in the iPhone app then got readded in a point update. Maybe same for roku and it'll be back, if it's just in a silly place

I use folder view for all my unsorted downloads so I feel ya.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

For anyone else hoping for audio resume support:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1009477#Comment_1009477

Someone on the forums going by "elan", who is apparently "Sheriff of Plexville", has stated: "It's coming."

Obviously no major commitment or details there but the acknowledgement is great to hear.

vv Well he would know then! Just looked at the Plex Blog and realized his is the name on everything.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

For anyone else hoping for audio resume support:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1009477#Comment_1009477

Someone on the forums going by "elan", who is apparently "Sheriff of Plexville", has stated: "It's coming."

Obviously no major commitment or details there but the acknowledgement is great to hear.

Yeah elan is the founder, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is there some place I can configure processor allowance for sync conversions? I use xpenology on an e3-1241v3 and any time I want to sync a show that's .mkv it freaks out and basically tells me it'll take 300 minutes. This processor is much, much more than is necessary to convert this file.