Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ZeusJupitar posted:

Has there ever been any explanation as to why the other witches give Mrs Earwig the time of day, given that she doesn't seem to be a witch in any meaningful sense?

I presume they're just afraid of her, which is sufficient qualification even if you aren't actually doing any work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Uhg, I inflicted some of his Star Wars books on myself years back, and I've just run out of Herbert-written Dune books.

I'm not sure Rihanna has written anything in novel-form, I think as much as anything there would be issues with "voice" which would just change everything. If she works with games and performance media that could come out great, very much her wheelhouse. Guess it's a question of how much the Discworld will get to turn (although obviously it doesn't actually turn)

Don't do it. The KJA Dune books are punishment that should not be inflicted on anyone. If you are tempted, look up the cover pictures of Dune 7, part 2 and ask yourself if that is really how Herbert would have ended things.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
so went on few dates with girl, she has read Pterry, but only the guards books, not interested in reading more

sever y/n ?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

What does she think of Night Watch

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ZeusJupitar posted:

Finished The Sheperd's Crown yesterday. It definitely felt like it needed another few revisions - lots of repetition, too many plot threads to develop in this wordcount.

Some specific thoughts:

- Has there ever been any explanation as to why the other witches give Mrs Earwig the time of day, given that she doesn't seem to be a witch in any meaningful sense?

Overall though it's not bad and a nice open ended send off to the Discworld as a whole, and to Tiffany's story in particular.

Because a witch is still a witch. She hasn't gone to the bad, so there's no reason to take her down, and she's one of Granny's rivals. The very last thing Granny Weatherwax will ever do is stomp someone for just being contrary, because it's exactly what her sister would do, and she can't be having with any of that.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I can't quite bring myself to make a start on the shepherd's crown. I don't want there not to be another discworld book to read

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I just don't want to read another Raising Steam

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mossyfisk posted:

I just don't want to read another Raising Steam

It's better than Raising Steam, and it should be read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hedrigall posted:

I just finished Going Postal. My god, what a marvellous book :h:

Should I watch the TV series? I like Charles Dance but he's just not Vetinari for me. Also, is that Jeff from Coupling as Moist?

Anyway, that's 21 books read, just 20 to go now. The next two books in my ridiculously jagged reading order are Lords and Ladies, then Thud.

Thud is actually one of my favourites, though iirc that's not a universal opinion.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

fluppet posted:

I can't quite bring myself to make a start on the shepherd's crown. I don't want there not to be another discworld book to read

It's really very good.

You're uh, going to cry reading it. Just a heads up.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

SystemLogoff posted:

It's really very good.

You're uh, going to cry reading it. Just a heads up.

I cried on the bus! I read the afterward and it really hit me that I was never going to read another Discworld novel for the first time ever again.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

fluppet posted:

I can't make myself read Shepherd's Crown because I accepted the Discworld as a finished thing when I decided that I wasn't going to read Raising Steam.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I'm just about done Raising Steam right now, and I don't see the problem with it. It's still a good Moist story, and I love how much of a kid in a candy store Drumknott is on the train.
The battle between the grags and everyone else is pretty neat too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sebmojo posted:

Thud is actually one of my favourites, though iirc that's not a universal opinion.

Thud is my second-favorite Watch book, behind Night Watch.

Which probably puts it in my top 5 and absolutely in the top 10.

Roots Radical posted:

I'm just about done Raising Steam right now, and I don't see the problem with it. It's still a good Moist story, and I love how much of a kid in a candy store Drumknott is on the train.
The battle between the grags and everyone else is pretty neat too.

It has some good parts, but that serves only to contrast the bad things. There are hints of what could have been another great novel. Instead, we get something very much near the bottom of the Discworld barrel.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I feel like the first 3/4 of Shepherd's Crown was a fine farewell to the Discworld, but the writing became very simple after that point - lots of telling rather than showing, not much clever wordplay. You could tell he was rushing to finish at the end. I still liked it much better than Raising Steam, and it's still worth reading.

Bring a box of tissues.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I hated Raising Steam. Actually, the last Discworld book I enjoyed was Making Money, though I haven't read any of the Tiffany Aching books. I think I probably would have liked Unseen Academicals if I were familiar with European soccer culture.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Not really, if you are aware of David and Victoria Beckham you're all set.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can anyone explain the joke with the rules and the tin can? It's supposed to be an 'ohhhh' moment, and it has some build up, but it falls completely flat for me. It looked to me as if Pratchett was parodying something but I have no idea what.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Unseen Academicals was the first time I noticed something really off about his prose. I cringed every time Dr Hix went "Skull ring! Skull ring!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

It's very good if you skip the ladies' night bits.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just finished the Going Postal miniseries last night. I thought it was p. good but my wife hated it. She says they stripped out all the jokes and ruined the ones they left in.
I prefer to think they adapted the jokes for the visual medium.
Also it was nice to see cameos from other characters not directly mentioned in the book but who inhabit Ankh Morpork.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I liked how Detritus is basically Ice T's character in New Jack City.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't understand why Adora Belle, a woman characterized by a deep bitterness and depression, spends most of her scenes with the same smirk on her face.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fat Samurai posted:

Can anyone explain the joke with the rules and the tin can? It's supposed to be an 'ohhhh' moment, and it has some build up, but it falls completely flat for me. It looked to me as if Pratchett was parodying something but I have no idea what.

If there's a deeper reference than 'Trevor's supposed to win' I'm not sure what it is. LSpace doesn't list anything.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't understand why Adora Belle, a woman characterized by a deep bitterness and depression, spends most of her scenes with the same smirk on her face.

Also I pictured her as older in the book.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Also I pictured her as older in the book.

I believe both Moist and Adora Belle are in their mid twenties in the book so I thought Moist's actor was a bit on the old side.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Also I don't understand why they made certain changes from the book miniseries. Like why are the letters trying to guilt-trip Moist now?
And why did they change the old couple who get married because Moist delivers an old letter to a young couple? Doesn't really make much sense.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

The adaptations are all terrible. Every single goddamn one. The early ones don't even try try, the later ones fail regardless.

Their worst crime was never casting Brian Blessed as Ridcully. :argh:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
True. :smith:

At least we got Charles Dance as Vetinari. :unsmith:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Brian Blessed wouldn't be nearly pompous enough. Ridicully's still a wizard. Richard Griffiths could have done it. So could John Rhys-Davies or Stephen Fry. I'd settle for Colin Baker. (The real crime is not letting Nicholas Parsons have a cameo turn in something as Hughnon.)

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
None of them could deliver the perfect delivery of "BURSAAAR!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tooterfish posted:

Eh, I can live without any more novels. All things end, that was one of PTerry's very first lessons for us, so it's fitting it's also one of his last.

Don't fear the reaper. :unsmith:

"What can the harvest hope for…"

I liked Shepherd's Crown. I'll re-read it cheerfully with great pleasure and it definitely topped Steam and Snuff - although I don't think those were THAT broken.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Bow the head to the person can do the last of the Pratchett. I still have like four books.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

rejutka posted:

Bow the head to the person can do the last of the Pratchett. I still have like four books.

Mind how you go.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Watch the step.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's the new & official reading order graphic for Discworld:

Is it just me, or is that too convoluted for the uninitiated?

Also, "The Fifth Element".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like any infographic, tons of graphic, little info.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

rejutka posted:

True. :smith:

At least we got Charles Dance as Vetinari. :unsmith:

I really think Charles Dance is a good fit, he just has that presence. And it helps he looks almost exactly like many depictions of the character. With that said, I think Mark Heap could do Vetinari.

For Ridcully, maybe Alexander Armstrong?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
As long as Brian Blessed is alive there is no other Ridcully. Can we loving well have Brian Blessed as Mustrum Ridcully, Jesus this is not hard, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Is it just me, or is that too convoluted for the uninitiated?
I don't get our pop culture's obsession with optimizing one's experiences to some arbitrary standard. Oh no I read Small Gods and Men At Arms first I did it all wrong and could have understood a reference earlier than I did.

The only thing you need to know is that there are some sub-series in Discworld like Watch books, Witches books and so on, so if you pick one and don't like it for its protagonists, you know which ones not to go second chance on right away. Or if you need a reading order, try "publishing order, if you don't like one, skip ahead."

ALSO what is this bullshit about having Moving Pictures in with the Industrial Revolution thread? That one definitely starts at The Truth. Moving Pictures is much more in line with Men At Arms, Soul Music or even Reaper Man with its weird ending. Their common theme is that recognizable modern technology and associated social changes intrude on the Discworld's fantasy setting and need to be gotten rid of again because they're making everything worse. They're much more connected through association with a certain period of Pratchett's writing than any easily identifiable common characters. If anything you should have all four of them identified as a sort of opposite-themed precursor to the Industrial Revolution thing.
(Maybe three, Reaper Man's connection is a little weird.)

plus it looks like a spirograph