Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

reminder that the reboot has guaranteed that there will never be a thinky classic star trek ever again b/c Grim Dark Your Favorite Actors And Incoherent is a more reliable moneymaker

hey don't forget Into Darkness performed unsatisfactorily apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that just means star trek is more likely to die permanently as a franchise, b/c the whole steadily rising blockbuster costs/increasingly intense risk aversion thing hollywood's grappling with is GREAT for people who love iron man enoguh to see 6 iron mans and not much else

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hey but were gonna get like 20 star wars movies

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that just means star trek is more likely to die permanently as a franchise, b/c the whole steadily rising blockbuster costs/increasingly intense risk aversion thing hollywood's grappling with is GREAT for people who love iron man enoguh to see 6 iron mans and not much else

Nothing in show business dies permanently until the last dollar has been squeezed from it. Just look at Shatner

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ya lol thats such a gently caress You Move to that writer

I wonder if he could have any recourse to that. Seeing as it's fairly obvious that it is just the same character, just with a different name and slightly different backstory.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

They're still working on another Trek movie, this one is co-written by Simon Pegg and I believe it is Justin Lin directing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hell, they made four increasingly bad Planet of the Apes sequels, but that only killed it for three decades, and then a really bad reboot, but that still couldn't keep it down. Franchises can't be killed.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah im more hopeful for the next one cause lin's doing it. the first reboot was forgettable but into darkness was so bad i literally remember almost nothing plot-wise from it

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i really freakin hope the next one doesnt do what into darkness did, which was do a horrible job of tiptoeing the classic star trek - - - doing something new tightrope. where they pull in all kinds of crazy poo poo from the original series- spock dies! khan! tribbles!!- except this time it makes no fuckin sense and carries no dramatic weight and is really clearly just there b/c its something people will recognize. you get the worst of both worlds- stuff being rehashed in a way thats far dumber and less interesting than the original, and in a way that betrays a really obvious fear of straying too far from the Source Material despite explicitly setting itself almost entirely apart from the tos-enterprise ST universe.

like, spock's death- in the original movie it's shocking and kind of heartrending and is very permanent as far as the movie is concerned, with it only getting rolled back a movie later. in the reboot it just, happens, in the same way it originally happened, b/c "thats whats supposed to happen i guess" and it's supremely uninteresting b/c you know full well spock is gonna get revived in like 45 minutes tops. boooooo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ehhh, or it just means they give up on movies and eventually try to redevelop it as a television property again, which is where it really belongs anyway.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i really freakin hope the next one doesnt do what into darkness did, which was do a horrible job of tiptoeing the classic star trek - - - doing something new tightrope. where they pull in all kinds of crazy poo poo from the original series- spock dies! khan! tribbles!!- except this time it makes no fuckin sense and carries no dramatic weight and is really clearly just there b/c its something people will recognize. you get the worst of both worlds- stuff being rehashed in a way thats far dumber and less interesting than the original, and in a way that betrays a really obvious fear of straying too far from the Source Material despite explicitly setting itself almost entirely apart from the tos-enterprise ST universe.

like, spock's death- in the original movie it's shocking and kind of heartrending and is very permanent as far as the movie is concerned, with it only getting rolled back a movie later. in the reboot it just, happens, in the same way it originally happened, b/c "thats whats supposed to happen i guess" and it's supremely uninteresting b/c you know full well spock is gonna get revived in like 45 minutes tops. boooooo

except it was kirk, what a twist

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

It needs a netflix series. It's the best home for it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Germstore posted:

he admitted he didnt remember the plot and i dont blame him

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Germstore posted:

TEAYCHES posted:

he admitted he didnt remember the plot and i dont blame him

the coolest thing is i dont even give a poo poo, cause its reboot st

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sucks that the Defiant's Romulan didn't stick around. There could've been some neat story possibilities there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
star trek movies have always kind of sucked there's like two (maybe three) good ones.

star trek is a TV show first and was always better as a TV show.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Powered Descent posted:

They already have every new show feature a crewman from a group that was introduced as a blood enemy in a previous one.

TNG? Klingon in Starfleet.
DS9? Ferengi in Starfleet.
Voyager? Maquis in Starfleet.
(Enterprise doesn't count.)

voyager established that vulcans were rapists, enterprise had t'pol

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Sucks that the Defiant's Romulan didn't stick around. There could've been some neat story possibilities there.

Ha, iirc they got rid of her because they couldn't figure out anything interesting to do with her. Any plot about sneaky duplicitous backstabbing would be ten times better as a Garak story anyway.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Clark Nova posted:

Ha, iirc they got rid of her because they couldn't figure out anything interesting to do with her. Any plot about sneaky duplicitous backstabbing would be ten times better as a Garak story anyway.

Garak vs Romulan is a great story in of itself.

You could do an entire episode where both of them are sort of setting traps and investigating the other as they are paranoid they are selling the Federation and DS9 out to the other government and in the end Sisko has to intervene and berates them both by saying their paranoia and lack of ability to trust means they are ruining the only chance to defeat the Dominion. He explains that the reason that humans are so good at diplomacy is they long ago learnt that trust is a precious gift often only given in return for being trusted, humans are so successful at making friends because they take risks, they go out on a limb and they trust people first, sure it means they get burnt occasionally, but in the end isn't it worth it?

Garak and the Romulan then grudgingly see his point and while they don't trust each other they realise they are, for now, on the same side.

Oh also O'Brien is deeply embarrassed or made a fool of in one of the traps.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

Garak and the Romulan then grudgingly see his point and
the Romulan dies immediately after due to a section of the space station's duranium superstructure randomly falling on her quarters.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

By which I am also making it clear that the Obsidian Order is the finest secret police/intelligence service in any quadrant. If they had not been so hamstrung by the Federation's need to claim ownership of the worm hole the Founders would have been located, isolated and neutralized in weeks by a crack team of simple promenade merchants.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kitchner posted:

You could do an entire episode where both of them are sort of setting traps and investigating the other as they are paranoid they are selling the Federation and DS9 out to the other government and in the end Sisko has to intervene and berates them both by saying their paranoia and lack of ability to trust means they are ruining the only chance to defeat the Dominion. He explains that the reason that humans are so good at diplomacy is they long ago learnt that trust is a precious gift often only given in return for being trusted, humans are so successful at making friends because they take risks, they go out on a limb and they trust people first, sure it means they get burnt occasionally, but in the end isn't it worth it?

Garak and the Romulan then grudgingly see his point and while they don't trust each other they realise they are, for now, on the same side.

Oh also O'Brien is deeply embarrassed or made a fool of in one of the traps.

Turns out 2 episodes later both of them were right in their paranoia. Episode ends with them in a locked room with a Dominion spy for some tag team torture.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Obsidian order, tal shiar, section 31. Do the klingons have a secret police? I bet the klingon chef was an operative.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its just called "Klingon Intelligence" and yes probably was the fat chef. (which makes me instantly suspicious of Sisko's Dad and his fake restaurant)

There is also the Vulcan V'Shar, which in accordance with the prime directive gathers all sorts of intelligence and then does gently caress-all with it because organized groups of Vulcans are generally quite stupid based on their need to out-logic each other and engage in fierce contests of emotional neutrality.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Bah! Enabran Tain was merely a puppet, a powerless figurehead. Why would a notoriously ruthless intelligence agency advertise the leader of their Order so blatantly if not to divert attention away from the true spymaster and head of the Obsidian Order.

Mila, Tain's supposed housekeeper.

From the shadows of the pantry, she can conduct the Order's affairs without distraction or assassination.

Then sadly in the DS9 finale, the Jem Hadar shot her and pushed her down the stairs.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kitchner posted:

You could do an entire episode where both of them are sort of setting traps and investigating the other

I'm now imagining a series of recurring and escalating Spy vs. Spy skits going on in the background regardless of the actual plots.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

shadow puppet of a posted:

(which makes me instantly suspicious of Sisko's Dad and his fake restaurant)

You're not telling me Sisko was polishing fake clams/oysters in that alleyway are you?

Money Bags fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 3, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

I'm now imagining a series of recurring and escalating Spy vs. Spy skits going on in the background regardless of the actual plots.

This is kind of what happens with Bashir and Garak. Garak is constantly trying to train him to be a super spy like he is. So imagine all their conversations where Garak says a ton of cool poo poo about not trust people, but instead it's all played out by a Romulan and Garak basically testing each other and always ending up in a draw.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The First Duty doesn't make any sense. Even if Josh hadn't been a gently caress up and crashed his space plane, and even if they performed the starburst thing successfully, they'd still have done an illegal maneuver right in front of Starfleet. Tom Locarno is an idiot.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

FrensaGeran posted:

The First Duty doesn't make any sense. Even if Josh hadn't been a gently caress up and crashed his space plane, and even if they performed the starburst thing successfully, they'd still have done an illegal maneuver right in front of Starfleet. Tom Locarno is an idiot.

I just watched an episode where Dr. Crusher ignored direct orders to not perform an autopsy on an Ferengi scientist. When she told Picard about it, the first thing he asked is if she found anything. Only after she said no he became disappointed in her due to disregarding his direct orders, massive breach of ethics and making an international incident, so he relieved her of duty pending official investigation. She then proceeded to illegally perform two more autopsies (one on the Ferengi again), access computer data that should be unavailable to her, and steal a shuttle to find the one who did it. Luckily she found the killer and saboteur, so everything is forgiven.

I'm saying this because I'm pretty sure that if fake Tom Paris managed to pull that highly dangerous and illegal maneuver without incident, the whole team would receive a medal, be promoted to admirals and made heroes to every cadet in the fleet. Only failure is punished in the world of trek.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Disco Infiva posted:

I just watched an episode where Dr. Crusher ignored direct orders to not perform an autopsy on an Ferengi scientist. When she told Picard about it, the first thing he asked is if she found anything. Only after she said no he became disappointed in her due to disregarding his direct orders, massive breach of ethics and making an international incident, so he relieved her of duty pending official investigation. She then proceeded to illegally perform two more autopsies (one on the Ferengi again), access computer data that should be unavailable to her, and steal a shuttle to find the one who did it. Luckily she found the killer and saboteur, so everything is forgiven.

I'm saying this because I'm pretty sure that if fake Tom Paris managed to pull that highly dangerous and illegal maneuver without incident, the whole team would receive a medal, be promoted to admirals and made heroes to every cadet in the fleet. Only failure is punished in the world of trek.

Well it's to do with the fact the at they encourage people to challenge orders if they feel they should.

If you think some dude was murdered and I say he wasn't because I was the one who secretly murdered him you should ignore me and do what's right.

Part of that is understanding if you're wrong you accept the consequences, so only do it if you're really really sure.

It actually makes sense.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Well it's to do with the fact the at they encourage people to challenge orders if they feel they should.

If you think some dude was murdered and I say he wasn't because I was the one who secretly murdered him you should ignore me and do what's right.

Part of that is understanding if you're wrong you accept the consequences, so only do it if you're really really sure.

It actually makes sense.

pardon edward snowden

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

pardon edward snowden

Exactly. If star trek has taught us anything it's that Edward Snowden should be given a promotion and be put in charge of the NSA.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJN08uqt70

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lol w/e nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Io0OQ2zPS4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Except if you're ordering Geordi to his death.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

the new star trek movie is coming out soon cant wait for that cinema experience!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

The best bit about that scene is he doesn't even protest. He's just like "Sure, I mean, if I have to" like he's been told to clear up some vomit on isle 4 instead of being vaporised in a warp core.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

alice eve heats up star trek movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

She shoulda failed just for that. I mean, the chief engineer? What do you think redshirts are for?

• Locked thread