Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I took a look and don't have anything prior to third ed - sorry about that.

Honestly I think the guy who asked me would take any BloodBowl player chits. I just didn't realize they were made after the first edition. So I'll take anything you have to offer.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Honestly I think the guy who asked me would take any BloodBowl player chits. I just didn't realize they were made after the first edition. So I'll take anything you have to offer.

Oh, sorry - I wasn't clear. I don't have any player scans. As far as I know, they weren't done after 1st ed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, sorry - I wasn't clear. I don't have any player scans. As far as I know, they weren't done after 1st ed.

Fair enough. Thanks for looking.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Fair enough. Thanks for looking.

As an FYI, Impact! does paper models for their lines - he might be able to get a set of those and use them, if he's just trying to proxy.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Speaking of Blood Bowl, I have a game on Thursday with one of my Necro mates. It's a practice game for him as he's taking his Khorne Daemons team to a Tournament soon, so I'm not hugely concerned about winning, but I want to be competitive. I'm using my Dark Elves because the team I kitbashed a while ago doesn't get much attention.

The rules are that you have 1,200,000 GP to recruit your team and buy re-rolls etc., and you can then select a 'package' of skills. I am thinking either of the following:

- 7 normal skills distributed among the team, no player can have more than 1
- 6 normal skills, 1 player can have up to 2 of them

But I don't know what skills to choose!

My lineup:
- 4 Blitzers
- 2 Witch Elves
- 1 Assassin
- 2 Runners
- 3 Linesmen

Any help would be appreciated!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could be a dick and load up on the blodge and just frustrate the poor sod, though he'll actually have some block and tackle if he can pre-buy some skills.

Alternatively design yourself a team built around killing his thirster. Killing a thirster is always fun times.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
That lineup only gives you 2 Re-Rolls. 1 if you take an Apothecary. Either way, you'll want Leader on one of the Runners.

The easy & competitive choice for the other 6 skills would be Wrestle on the Witches (long-range ball-popping against a Block-having ball-carrier -and it adds some defense for the Witch) and Dodge on all the Blitzers.

If you wanted to game against his team specifically, you could put Side Step on the Witches and watch him sweat over deciding whether or not to risk throwing a Frenzy block against them. Is his Daemon team the same as the one in the Cyanide video game or is he using something like this?

goatface posted:

Alternatively design yourself a team built around killing his thirster. Killing a thirster is always fun times.

Dark Elves don't have access to claw. Or strength. Dirty Player is an option I suppose. A bad one.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would drop the second runner for a third re-roll, an Apo or a spare linesmen. (A rookie linesman is a better thrower than a rookie runner because of the higher armor.)

Assassin - Leap
Runner - Leader (if you have 2 TRR)
Blitzer - Tackle, Strip Ball, Side Step, wildcard
Witch - Block, Dauntless

Leap on the Assassin can give you a cage breaker, though it is of limited use on high armour teams.

I am assuming this is a resurrection tournament, the point is to win the game not to survive it. As long as you have three elves, you can score.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah it's a Rez tourney. I wanted to build a fairly rounded team rather than one specifically to face the Khorne bros as it's a practice match for him and not me, I get no benefit from winning. Other than getting trash talk rights in the future. I'm obviously going to play my best (which is not very good.)

Considering the Khorne bros are quite slow I thought it might be quite fun to have the assassin as a shadowing/diving tackle guy to try and cause some turnovers. Then to have one Witch Elf with Block and one with Wrestle. I thought Wrestle on one of the Linesmen, and then dodge on all my blitzers. It's a bit dull but I don't think this free skills system is very good. I much prefer a proper league.

I might can one of the runners. It's true they are a bit poo poo with no skills but dump-off is quite fun to play around with. I hadn't even thought about getting an apothecary but I kind of thought it wasn't so important in a league where players Rez and heal after each game, but I guess being able to refill my turn 1 dead witch elf would be good.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Who saw this coming?

http://manowarcorsair.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrLuASPnEI

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Nice to see that it's being given to an another experienced, proven studio.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ineptmule posted:

Yeah it's a Rez tourney. I wanted to build a fairly rounded team rather than one specifically to face the Khorne bros as it's a practice match for him and not me, I get no benefit from winning. Other than getting trash talk rights in the future. I'm obviously going to play my best (which is not very good.)

Considering the Khorne bros are quite slow I thought it might be quite fun to have the assassin as a shadowing/diving tackle guy to try and cause some turnovers. Then to have one Witch Elf with Block and one with Wrestle. I thought Wrestle on one of the Linesmen, and then dodge on all my blitzers. It's a bit dull but I don't think this free skills system is very good. I much prefer a proper league.

I might can one of the runners. It's true they are a bit poo poo with no skills but dump-off is quite fun to play around with. I hadn't even thought about getting an apothecary but I kind of thought it wasn't so important in a league where players Rez and heal after each game, but I guess being able to refill my turn 1 dead witch elf would be good.

It is a weird skill package setup, without a limit of how many of a skill you can take. However it makes more than just the tier one teams competitive.

It really depends on how Apos work during the tournament. If the Apo is guaranteed to work it can be an ok pick up for a finesse team, or if you have a key player on your team. If they work like normal, I would take a pass.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Nice to see that it's being given to an another experienced, proven studio.

Where are the profits is the fun in that?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm the total lack of any overhead/tactical view in that video.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pierzak posted:

I'm the total lack of any overhead/tactical view in that video.

I'm the captain shooting an orc in the dick with a six-barreled pistol

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Evil Twin Artworks (http://eviltwinartworks.com/evil-twin-game-development/evil-twin-games/)
Well technically they have made a game before. Seems like a legit place to sell an IP to.

Also unlike Regicide the Chess Game at least this company has made 1 other real game and 2 app games.
(http://www.warhammer40kregicide.com/)

When I googled Hammerfall Publishing this is the only description of the company I found, as well as the only history they have online.

quote:

"Hammerfall Publishing is a developer of high quality games for PC and mobile platforms. Our current project Warhammer 40,000: Chess - Regicide is in development. Please check it out!"

Of course GW Also gave their IP to the guys who made Ride to Hell: Retribution, after the company released that game.

quote:

2011 NASCAR The Game: 2011 (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
2012 Auto Club Revolution (PC)
2012 NASCAR The Game: Inside Line (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
2013 Ride to Hell: Retribution (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
2013 NASCAR: The Game 2013 (PC)
2014 NASCAR '14 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
2014 Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance (PC, iOS, Android)

So basically what I'm saying is "good luck on your game GW!!!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
GW is obviously selling rights to no-name companies who are willing to sign away most of their stake in the game for a chance at producing something with name recognition that might hit it big. Unlike most properties, GW could give zero shits about the final product, as it can only make them some money for no effort on their part. It's not going to hurt their product line if the game fails, because the game isn't tied to an existing product!

Doctor Borris posted:

Also unlike Regicide the Chess Game at least this company has made 1 other real game and 2 app games.
(http://www.warhammer40kregicide.com/)

When I googled Hammerfall Publishing this is the only description of the company I found, as well as the only history they have online
The main takeaway is that Hammerfall seems to be doing a good job, though.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 2, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW is obviously selling rights to no-name companies who are willing to sign away most of their stake in the game for a chance at producing something with name recognition that might hit it big. Unlike most properties, GW could give zero shits about the final product, as it can only make them some money for no effort on their part. It's not going to hurt their product line if the game fails, because the game isn't tied to an existing product!

On those lines, has anyone tried the recently released Space Hulk game? I'd love SH on my Vita but am unwilling to drop $35 with basically zero information, not even screenshots on the PSN store.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

PS game? No. I did play the PC games, and I liked them enough, but I'm a minority in that regard, so it seems.

Regicide, at least by my somewhat trustworthy buds, looks like it's going to be good or at least not bad. Unlike Warhammer Quest or Storm of Vengeance. The Space Wolf game is OK enough, but maybe it starts fleecing you more as you play longer, dunno.

I hate StreumOn, so I'm already against Deathwing, and Deathwatch: Nids being produced by Warhammer Quest guys, so, again, its a reskin of their previous game

I have some hopes for Eternal Crusade and an eventual F2P ork goon grief clan.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

JcDent posted:

PS game? No. I did play the PC games, and I liked them enough, but I'm a minority in that regard, so it seems.

Regicide, at least by my somewhat trustworthy buds, looks like it's going to be good or at least not bad. Unlike Warhammer Quest or Storm of Vengeance. The Space Wolf game is OK enough, but maybe it starts fleecing you more as you play longer, dunno.

I hate StreumOn, so I'm already against Deathwing, and Deathwatch: Nids being produced by Warhammer Quest guys, so, again, its a reskin of their previous game

I have some hopes for Eternal Crusade and an eventual F2P ork goon grief clan.

Metacritic hoooo!
Space Hulk: 62
Space Hulk Ascension: 72 / 7.1 user
New Space Hulk Game so Far: 58

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/space%20hulk/results

The original space hulk looked and played terrible. Check it out on Youtube. From what I can tell it was marginally improved by Ascension, also by the same company. Both games sell for way more then they should on Steam, because it turns out GW loves money.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Borris posted:

The original space hulk looked and played terrible. Check it out on Youtube.

Oh god I never realized Jervis Johnson did voice-overs for that :allears:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Doctor Borris posted:

Metacritic hoooo!
Space Hulk: 62
Space Hulk Ascension: 72 / 7.1 user
New Space Hulk Game so Far: 58

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/space%20hulk/results

The original space hulk looked and played terrible. Check it out on Youtube. From what I can tell it was marginally improved by Ascension, also by the same company. Both games sell for way more then they should on Steam, because it turns out GW loves money.

I said I was a minority!

I still don't know how Space Hulk could have been improved, besides doing away with space hulks and making a game about burninating underhive heretics.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

JcDent posted:

I said I was a minority!

I still don't know how Space Hulk could have been improved, besides doing away with space hulks and making a game about burninating underhive heretics.

Well there was this little turn based game called Xcomm maybe they could get inspiration from.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am one of the weird, broken individuals that like the Space Hulk PC port because it was just Space Hulk, straight-up. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I enjoyed the game for what it was. :shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you're making 40K XCom, you're not making 40K Space Hulk, since Space Hulk implies some fairly specific gameplay.

And yes, I'd like Space Hulk a lot more if it was nothing like it (save for "you play Space Marines"), but as a Space Hulk game it was Space Hulk like I imagined it.

Space Hulk.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
They made 40k XCOM, it was called Chaos Gate and it had a great soundtrack I downloaded off Kazaa back in the day. It was ominous Latin chanting before that was super played out in bideojames. I was also a big fan of the 1:1 ports GW did back in the day. Space Crusade was great but HeroQuest has one of the best themes of any game ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_KMOxz-vjk

Amiga one is good too because the Amiga has a god tier sound chip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1K-Y4hF00

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
gently caress yeah Amiga supremacy. You can't post that and not the Amiga take on the PC theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8liuXuPcqs

edit: Also, WELCUM TO SPEECE CRUSADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZHUmvZutc

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Safety Factor posted:

I am one of the weird, broken individuals that like the Space Hulk PC port because it was just Space Hulk, straight-up. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I enjoyed the game for what it was. :shrug:

But Space Hulk Alien Assault already existed. I want Deathwing precisely because it's not going to be an 1:1 recreation of the board game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

They made 40k XCOM, it was called Chaos Gate and it had a great soundtrack I downloaded off Kazaa back in the day. It was ominous Latin chanting before that was super played out in bideojames. I was also a big fan of the 1:1 ports GW did back in the day. Space Crusade was great but HeroQuest has one of the best themes of any game ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_KMOxz-vjk

Amiga one is good too because the Amiga has a god tier sound chip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1K-Y4hF00

Oh, I've heard of Chaos Gate. Never played it, being somewhat too young, but one LP I saw looked like fun. I hope the cultist corpses went splat because the creators imagined what bolts do to their bodies. A modern Chaos Gate should also add some way to manage wounding, super human phisiques and managing armor power levels to compensate for injuries

Traveller posted:

But Space Hulk Alien Assault already existed. I want Deathwing precisely because it's not going to be an 1:1 recreation of the board game.

Tryin to run it now, had downloaded it months ago.

Chapter Master Star Void Commander still the best fan game that invoked GW wrath, tho.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Space Hulk was a straight up translation of the board game into digital format (including the campaign) which is precisely what the developers intended to make. It had the following issues:

It was literally the boardgame while most gamers were expecting a modernised adaptation that was first and foremost a PC (YMMV) game with modern game mechanics.

The game was over priced. It launched as a full priced title around 30 quid which was too drat much. I bought on sale for under a tenner and was happy at that price point. It was not a AAA release with fancy artwork and lots of features. It is made in Unity engine to run on everything including tablets.

The game launched buggy as hell by all accounts. By the time I bought it things had been patched up and it was fine, which is no consolation if you bought it at launch for too drat much.

Graphics. Personally I think it looks OK but that by no means suggests that its graphics are a selling point or anything to get excited about. It conveys the action and theme adequately but that's about it.

Now, the sequel Space Hulk Ascension. This one was designed to go beyond the boardgame and introduces it's own mechanics, new genestealer variants, an all new campaign and character progression. The graphics are improved although modestly. It is a better game which I again bought on sale and probably would have been a bit disappointed with had I paid the full asking price.

Ascension is what a lot of people expected the first game to be like. It is however still not a lavish Triple-A production with next gen graphics. It is a substantial upgrade of the last one. I like it and the attempt to put a new twist on Space Hulk, but not everyone will. If you see it on sale I would say give it a try.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I think we're all waiting for the Space Hulk FPS made by the EYE Divine Cybermancy team. At least it has a good chance of being totally bonkers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I think we're all waiting for the Space Hulk FPS made by the EYE Divine Cybermancy team. At least it has a good chance of being totally bonkers.
I'm really looking forward to gaining brouzouf in space with my Terminator bros. I'm genuinely excited for that game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ugleb posted:

Ascension is what a lot of people expected the first game to be like. It is however still not a lavish Triple-A production with next gen graphics. It is a substantial upgrade of the last one. I like it and the attempt to put a new twist on Space Hulk, but not everyone will. If you see it on sale I would say give it a try.

But it's neither priced as an AAA game, nor made by a studio that makes AAA. Unlike, say, Space Marine.

On the other hand, my opinion of StreumOn and EYE:
:barf:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
This weeks Steam sale has Mordheim and Blood Bowl marked down, although Blood Bowl-2 is still full price
(£16.07 and £3.74 respectively) as well as a ton of other stuff by the same developer

^^^I paid full price for Space Hulk, and it was the same as any other 'Full Price' AAA game

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

SRM posted:

I'm really looking forward to gaining brouzouf in space with my Terminator bros. I'm genuinely excited for that game.

I hope it is fire warrior levels of quality! Fire warrior for 40 bucks seems solid.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Doctor Borris posted:

I hope it is fire warrior levels of quality! Fire warrior for 40 bucks seems solid.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but I played through Fire Warriors a year or two ago and it wasn't... horrible. It wasn't what I'd call good, but it was that kind of schlocky "rent it and beat it in a weekend" game they haven't really done much since the PS2 era. For the five bucks or so it was pretty enjoyable.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

JcDent posted:

But it's neither priced as an AAA game, nor made by a studio that makes AAA. Unlike, say, Space Marine.

Ascension was close full price at launch, I forget the exact number but it was high enough that I couldn't justify an impulse buy.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

JcDent posted:

How does it feel inside, that shriveled husk that passes for your soul.

SRM posted:

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but I played through Fire Warriors a year or two ago and it wasn't... horrible. It wasn't what I'd call good, but it was that kind of schlocky "rent it and beat it in a weekend" game they haven't really done much since the PS2 era. For the five bucks or so it was pretty enjoyable.

Fire Warrior was okay, both the game and the novel. Speaking of the latter, I can't think of the last time they made one with an alien as the POV character.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

EYE was broken garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thirsty Dog posted:

EYE was broken garbage.

I liked the Culter designs and their cavernous base, and the hacking game had potential, but everything else was bad.

Then again, I don't enjoy purposefully bad YouTube videos, so maybe my standards are not the same as regular goon's.

• Locked thread