Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Crabtree posted:

Why can't they say its garbage because you like it?

Also half the fun of this thread is making fun of poo poo so don't you dare say that Cream-of-plenty can't Monsterbrew all night long. Anything Bethesda or Obsidian is fair game here, friendo.
That is true but people can also poo poo on you for being an RPGcodex style grognard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Crabtree posted:

Why can't they say its garbage because you like it?

Also half the fun of this thread is making fun of poo poo so don't you dare say that Cream-of-plenty can't Monsterbrew all night long. Anything Bethesda or Obsidian is fair game here, friendo.

You can if you want to, but it's annoying when people's only contribution to a thread is saying a game sucks. Yeah the fallout and elder scrolls games kind of suck but they are still fun. Some goons just refuse to accept that anyone can like any game because they believe all games are garbage and they must post in every thread to let everyone know.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

One of the funniest parts if the Fallout series is the huge amount of people still really salty about Bethesda having the IP, instead of getting over it after all these years

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God forbid I temper my expectations, eh?

And god forbid I offer some level of critique.

timp posted:

This comes up in every Fallout-TES thread and here it comes again: If you play a game for more than 20 hours you've lost the right to complain...honestly that number could even be closer to 5 or 10 hours. Nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to play a video game, you can stop anytime. If you continue to play it but you're not enjoying it there must be some reason, for instance:

-Getting paid
-Want to go online and talk poo poo but don't want to sound uninformed
-Only own one video game for some reason
-Doing it to seem cool to all of your friends and family
-Obsessive Compulsive or some other form of mental illness

I'm mainly thinking of Oblivion here. Yeah it's a shite game in retrospect, I would never play it again now that Skyrim is a thing (and I believe I'll feel the same way about Skyrim when the next TES game comes out [the lovely online one doesn't count]) but it would be disingenuous for me to say that it's a bad game. At the time I really enjoyed it and that has to count for something.

Don't be a loving tool. The amount of time one spends with a game doesn't disqualify anyone from offering critique against it. I don't even think it's going to be exclusively bad, but the poo poo they've shown off has almost entirely been engineered into pissing in my bucket, so it's pretty fair if I express that I feel like the game is going to go in a direction I don't particularly like, isn't it? There's still parts I'm going to like and probably going to spend an insubordinate amount of time playing it for, but that doesn't automatically cancel out the bad parts, nor does it mean I have some sort of mental disease for not going "omfg best game ever since the last game".

Fallout 4 adopting things from Mass Effect is an example of a thing I don't like. Crafting and base building are examples of things I do like. Small games on the Pip-boy seems like a fun activity and I can't wait to play it for these things. It's just a matter of how much bullshit I'm going to have to endure in order to get to the enjoyable parts of a game series I am generally really positive about. Yes, even Fallout 3. It's just not my favorite game in the series.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

After logging a thousand hours in Fallout 4 I've come to the conclusion that this game loving sucks.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

God forbid I temper my expectations, eh?

Critique of what?

You haven't played this game yet, and we really haven't been given really much to work off of.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Phrasing posted:

After logging a thousand hours in Fallout 4 I've come to the conclusion that this game loving sucks.

Just because a scientist spends a thousand hours studying cancer doesn't mean they "like" cancer. People are compelled to immerse themselves in things they hate. Like...I've watched Downton Abbey, but it wasn't even until Series 2 that I realized it wasn't "Downtown Abbey". I had no idea why they were calling it "Downtown" when it was clearly in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I hated that show but everybody was so crazy about it that I had to watch the show several times to really ruminate on why I hated it.

If you only experience something terrible for a couple of hours, people are going to call you out on that fact and you'll never convince them that their poo poo sucks. "Yeah but you never gave it a chance." No, you need to know something intimately--better than them--and that generally involves experiencing it for longer than they'd ever want to.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 2, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

TontoCorazon posted:

Critique of what?

You haven't played this game yet, and we really haven't been given really much to work off of.

He's just one of those people who can't wait until the game comes out to take a poo poo on it because it's not exactly like a game from 1997.

Fallout 4 will be a buggy yet fun game, just like all Bethesda games.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just because a scientist spends a thousand hours studying cancer doesn't mean they "like" cancer. People are compelled to immerse themselves in things they hate. Like...I've watched Downton Abbey, but it wasn't even until Series 2 that I realized it wasn't "Downtown Abbey". I had no idea why they were calling it "Downtown" when it was clearly in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I hated that show but everybody was so crazy about it that I had to watch the show several times to really ruminate on why I hated it.

If you only experience something terrible for a couple of hours, people are going to call you out on that fact and you'll never convince them that their poo poo sucks. "Yeah but you never gave it a chance." No, you need to know something intimately--better than them--and that generally involves experiencing it for longer than they'd ever want to.

That almost sounds like mental illness. If you don't like something and you know you won't like something why would you spend that time and money not liking it at all? Like you need therapy if you're willingly watching or playing something and hating it. I can understand trying something out for an hour or so but putting over 100 hours into it and still bitching is insanity.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just because a scientist spends a thousand hours studying cancer doesn't mean they "like" cancer. People are compelled to immerse themselves in things they hate.

I'm fairly certain that scientists who spend their time studying cancer don't do it because they're masochists. They do it because they want to be the one to cure it, and grants for things like that pay out like a motherfucker.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TontoCorazon posted:

Critique of what?

They've shown some of the game though and I can critique that. The dialogue system, the opening sequence, the implicit turn of events, the crafting system, the pipboy, the leveling stuff, the skill stuff and stats, all stuff we've been shown and are definitely going to be in the final product as they were presented.

I can't critique the stuff I haven't seen yet, of course, but what I don't like of the above, I just don't like.

JackBadass posted:

He's just one of those people who can't wait until the game comes out to take a poo poo on it because it's not exactly like a game from 1997.

You're a loving idiot as always.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'd say somebody with bad opinions about old games is less of an idiot than somebody who didn't really care for Fallout 3 ever thinking they'd like a Bethesda Fallout 4. One is just, like, his opinion man and the other is you trying to fit the square peg into the round hole and complaining that it won't go in.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

You're a loving idiot as always.

I'm not the one judging a game on screenshots and 20 minutes or so of E3 footage that represents most likely less than a percent of one percent of a game that won't be released for a couple more months. To me, that person is the loving idiot.

What more can I expect out of you, though...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

At least attempt to be funny or informative if you're going to be a critic. I'm not funny or smart, so I only post in the threads of things I like. Not having much time for video games these days, I appreciate the irony of a post apocalyptic world being my escape from the real one. These type of open world games are great whether you play for fifteen minutes or five hours at a time. i always feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I don't see too many single player games with as much value.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JackBadass posted:

I'm fairly certain that scientists who spend their time studying cancer don't do it because they're masochists. They do it because they want to be the one to cure it, and grants for things like that pay out like a motherfucker.

How about people who watch the news? It's all death, war, murder etc... yet some people will watch them for hours every day. Doesn't mean they like that stuff.

People play/watch/listen to popular stuff to keep up with things, even if they don't like them.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

How about people who watch the news? It's all death, war, murder etc... yet some people will watch them for hours every day. Doesn't mean they like that stuff.

That's a better comparison, I'd say. On a less pessimistic view, I'd say some percentage of people watch the news to stay in the loop as opposed to willingly submitting themselves to the negative news for the sake of doing so. That's why I do it, anyway.

Edit: Yeah.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

I'm not the one judging a game on screenshots and 20 minutes or so of E3 footage that represents most likely less than a percent of one percent of a game that won't be released for a couple more months. To me, that person is the loving idiot.

What more can I expect out of you, though...

Then what the gently caress am I supposed to form an opinion around? The game when it comes out? That'd mean there'd be nothing to talk about. Also, you are just posting to take the piss out of everyone who doesn't take your contentious agreeable viewpoint, so what are you, a developer working on the game or something? No opinion allowed, besides the ones that agree that this will be the best game ever! All the other games were good time-wasters, so this one will be too!

Christ, what else is there really to talk about?

Die Laughing posted:

At least attempt to be funny or informative if you're going to be a critic. I'm not funny or smart, so I only post in the threads of things I like. Not having much time for video games these days, I appreciate the irony of a post apocalyptic world being my escape from the real one. These type of open world games are great whether you play for fifteen minutes or five hours at a time. i always feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I don't see too many single player games with as much value.
I'm sorry if my posts aren't funny enough for you, but I don't write my posts to entertain you specifically. I try to engage in discussion to try to salvage something of merit from speculating about features confirmed to be in the game and speculating how they will play out. Believe me or not, I also only post in threads for games I'm interested in. I'm 100% interested in Fallout 4. I've said so before. I've said it many times. But that doesn't mean I like everything in it. If value is derived only from hours invested into something, then I'm not entirely sure we use the same measurement stick for value. I don't consider Desert Bus to be entertainment for all the hours spent driving in it worth my while, even if it does really deliver 600 hours of driving.

And again, don't get me wrong, there's going to be enough content in Fallout 4 to justify pretty much everything and anything you can think of, but I still think dropping the ball on certain things time and time again is something worth pointing out and critiquing as if it isn't entirely acceptable standard anymore. They could do so much more and the fact they can't be assed to is sad to me. But it's okay, because it'll still be worth the $60.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

People play/watch/listen to popular stuff to keep up with things, even if they don't like them.

Yeah and this sounds dumb as poo poo. Who gives a gently caress what other people think? That sounds like torture.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Fallout Shelter question, do the weapons have "dps"?

Like, a fast firing machine gun listed as 15 damage vs a slow firing sniper rifle also listed as 15 damage?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mordaedil posted:

Then what the gently caress am I supposed to form an opinion around? The game when it comes out? That'd mean there'd be nothing to talk about.

There pretty much IS nothing to talk about which is why this thread is just page after page of shitposts with the occasional greatpost from Cream.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ak Gara posted:

Fallout Shelter question, do the weapons have "dps"?

Like, a fast firing machine gun listed as 15 damage vs a slow firing sniper rifle also listed as 15 damage?

So far as I can tell that number is the dps. I don't think the attack animation has any effect on the damage.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

JackBadass posted:

This. It will be a fun, enjoyable game to a large percentage of people. Most people, even...

And then you will have a percentage that already have no intention of liking the game, and will find any-and-every reason to hate it. Every game ever made has this.

Some, without ever playing it, will hate it just because that's how some people are.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Fallout NV had a more interesting story and better quests / dialogue, but a lot of the locations felt like walking through attractions in an amusement park - Over here is Gang Prison! To the left you'll see Brotherhood of Steel bunker! Watch out, you're entering Super Mutant Mountain! That being said, I've logged probably around 250 hours in this game and still play it every so often.

Fallout 3 had a lot of weaknesses but from what I remember (tbf I haven't played the game since around 2009) it felt more organic and exploring a huge ruined city was fun... and so was dressing up like Lincoln once I got his rifle and emancipating everyone from this mortal coil :unsmigghh:

tldr both games were fun despite any weaknesses, no game is perfect, I'm sure Fallout 4 will be the same way, and I'm going to enjoy pew pewing radscorpions in a new location

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah it does.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fallout 3 had a lot of weaknesses but from what I remember (tbf I haven't played the game since around 2009) it felt more organic and exploring a huge ruined city was fun... and so was dressing up like Lincoln once I got his rifle and emancipating everyone from this mortal coil :unsmigghh:

tldr both games were fun despite any weaknesses, no game is perfect, I'm sure Fallout 4 will be the same way, and I'm going to enjoy pew pewing radscorpions in a new location

It felt more organic in that there were no landmark.

It still surprises me when people cite NV's more structured map as a disadvantage.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

It still surprises me when people cite NV's more structured map as a disadvantage.

It only started feeling like a disadvantage recently. But, I am about to reinstall FO3 and try Tale of Two Wastelands, so I guess I'll be able to compare them more closely and see if I still feel that way after giving FO3 another go around.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fallout NV had a more interesting story and better quests / dialogue, but a lot of the locations felt like walking through attractions in an amusement park - Over here is Gang Prison! To the left you'll see Brotherhood of Steel bunker! Watch out, you're entering Super Mutant Mountain! That being said, I've logged probably around 250 hours in this game and still play it every so often.

You should play FO:3 again for kicks and see if you still have the same opinion. At least up until Lil' Lamplight. I would actually argue that it's a problem with BOTH games, but ascribing it solely to NV is a strange thing to do.

With that being said, I thought Skyrim did a pretty good job at having less of the amusement park feel. Especially in the wilderness. Part of it is a hardware problem. Stuff pegged to run on middle-of-the-road computers from 2007 isn't going to really have the technical chops to nail a natural feeling environment. Skyrim's engine is better, and therefore does a better job with immersion. I have a feeling that since 4 is going to be pegged to Bone / PS4 standards, then it's going be another large step forward in terms of gameworld.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Watching the news to keep up with current events, and researching cancer to try and treat it are both exactly like playing a video game just so your online complaints are well informed complaints.

Mordaedil posted:

The fact that some people can't tell the difference between a critique and "gently caress you if you don't agree with me, you're just part of the Bethesda hugbox" is actually the problem. Not to single you out specifically, but there is a lot of bile in this thread from people who despise Bethesda anything, and want to exercise their right to express that opinion on every page. The dedication involved is kinda staggering. I mean, there's a lot of games I hate, but I can't be assed to go post in all those threads to make sure everyone knows it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Confirmed for Fallout 4

-Power Armor jet packs
-Incredibly detailed armor and weapon customization leading to hundreds of possible item combinations
-Vertibirds
-You can build a custom murderfort complete with flamethrower turrets
-The same great gameplay features that have offered literally hundreds of hours of fun and engagement on other Bethesda games (and now there's more and they're better!)
-Another dog follower and not a stupid robot dog
-Weather and poo poo. RADSTORMS
-Sickass finishing moves (is that Deathclaw eviscerating that guy)
-Better shooting, a melee button, a grenade button

In summary I'll be nestled high in the sniper's perch of my wasteland fortress roasting the heads off attacking super mutant barbarians with a high powered laser sniper rifle of my own design while my pet dog and machine gun turrets ravage the encroaching centaur lackeys and dozens of my own hired caravaneers and merchants are getting gibbed into lovingly rendered meat chunks by friendly fire. Old timey music will be playing while this happens. If that sounds like a not-fun and also bad time then why the gently caress are you still following this thread?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's a little interview with Rope Kid about what he thinks about Fallout 4 and such:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcCwfAstyQ
He says that New Vegas was fun to make and they'd be open to doing something like that again, which I'd be all over.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Hello, Doctor Fallout. "

"Hello, cancer."

"I hate you dr, for always thwarting my growths and tumors"

"I still enjoy our time together, cancer. Even if I hate you, I cherish these talks."

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just because a scientist spends a thousand hours studying cancer doesn't mean they "like" cancer.

Welp, time to burn the games forums to the ground.

Also Fallout 4 is going to kick all kinds of rear end. Don't believe me? Let's fight about it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SRM posted:

Here's a little interview with Rope Kid about what he thinks about Fallout 4 and such:
He says that New Vegas was fun to make and they'd be open to doing something like that again, which I'd be all over.

Oh that's excellent, hopefully that will stop the Bethesda hate right? ...right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

Oh that's excellent, hopefully that will stop the Bethesda hate right? ...right?

Nothing, including buying all the games, the expansions and putting several hundred hours into the game will stop the Bethesda hate.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Have they ruled out the possibility of encountering other players in the wasteland, because trolling in fallout has the potential to be the best thing ever.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

SRM posted:

Josh Sawyer looks like he sounds now.

That is a Giant nerd.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jonesy posted:

Have they ruled out the possibility of encountering other players in the wasteland, because trolling in fallout has the potential to be the best thing ever.
Every time you die, your save file is uploaded to Bethesda.net and randomly distributed to other players in the form of an rear end in a top hat ghost who goes around stealing items out of their houses and any other mailboxes or trash cans where they've stashed them.

The only way to get your loot back is to challenge the ghost to a new beatboxing conversation/rhythm minigame that allegedly relies on your choice of companion for musical backup, encouragement, emceeing, etc.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Every time you die, your save file is uploaded to Bethesda.net and randomly distributed to other players in the form of an rear end in a top hat ghost who goes around stealing items out of their houses and any other mailboxes or trash cans where they've stashed them.

The only way to get your loot back is to challenge the ghost to a new beatboxing conversation/rhythm minigame that allegedly relies on your choice of companion for musical backup, encouragement, emceeing, etc.

Accept no substitutes, boycott the oil-based shitpost in favor of the natural, organic Cream-of-Plenty smooth whipped shitpost

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is this thread also where we talk about Fallout Shelter? Because I sort of need to talk about that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

Is this thread also where we talk about Fallout Shelter? Because I sort of need to talk about that right now.

Murdered by deathclaws?

• Locked thread