Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

gpresult /v | out-gridview

This is so cool.

gpresult /scope computer /r is handy for seeing what group policies are being applied to a particular computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Out-Gridview is literally doing nothing other than offering a pretty popup.

A pretty pop-up with an input box for "Filter"

You can also select individual lines, (or multiple lines by holding ctrl or shift, )and then use ctrl-c to copy them to the clipboard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A pretty pop-up with an input box for "Filter"

You can also select individual lines, (or multiple lines by holding ctrl or shift, )and then use ctrl-c to copy them to the clipboard.

True/fair. I just wouldn't use that myself if I was using a legacy command, but I'm so used to v4 and the v5 preview I rarely use legacy commands combined with PS anymore. I love all the new cmdlets in Server 2012 R2 for managing networking, etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think I'm going to put in my notice, then spend a month or two shovelling certifications up my tailpipe and then try to make the jump to a sysadmin position, it's got to be less stupid than whatever it is they want me to do next.

Do this but without quitting. From what I hear, it's easier to find a new job when you're currently employed. Just spend any extra time at work focusing on those certs. Also don't wait for the certs to start applying.

Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow, so just do it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Do this but without quitting. From what I hear, it's easier to find a new job when you're currently employed. Just spend any extra time at work focusing on those certs. Also don't wait for the certs to start applying.

*clenches fist* *squeeze asscheeks* JUST DO......IT

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I ended up quitting a poo poo job before having anything to go to and it sucked for a few months where you end up getting overly worried that maybe you were being unreasonable and why aren't you employed yet. I was sort of forced into it with a rental contract expiring, but if I had more of a choice I wouldn't have done it. I ended up having to make some bullshit up about being a freelance consultant before anyone gave me a second look.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

*clenches fist* *squeeze asscheeks* JUST DO......IT

our most used Slack emote

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you are employed, it makes it very easy to turn down a bad offer. It gives you leverage to be able to say "Take your time making a salary offer, my bills are getting paid and I've in the middle of salary negotiation with another company so I'm not going to miss a meal if you take an extra few days to look at a salary survey before making an offer."

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Unless you're actually getting more dead at your job... wait to quit til you have accepted a position. Thank us all later when you aren't broke and think of the time you stay as an investment.

I talk to people all the time that make this mistake.

:broken record:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Again, gpresult isn't a PS command, it's a legacy command, and the output is just text so Out-Gridview is literally doing nothing other than offering a pretty popup.

Out-Gridview's strengths are when you want to display a table, a PSObject, etc. Do something like this to see the difference:

code:
Get-EventLog -List | Out-Gridview -Title "This is a cool GridView of event log properties!"

I had already seen the difference, I just think it looks really pretty.

The convert to html, csv, etc are all neat too.

Get-Process | Select Name,ID,VM,PM | ConvertTo-HTML | Out-File processes.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Alternatively, if you've had Quite Enough Of This poo poo, play Russian roulette with your PC or server:

Get-Process | Get-Random | Stop-Process -force

This is loving fabulous and will be going in the FUCKTHESEPEOPLE OU when I quit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone remember the name of that fake old timer talking system that people would forward scam calls to? If you kept on the line long enough eventually you'd hear like geese and ducks moving around in the background, and he'd say "yes, yes, yes" all the time? I've been wanting to play around with getting it setup for people here at the office to forward scam calls to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is loving fabulous and will be going in the FUCKTHESEPEOPLE OU when I quit.

Needs Windows 8/Server 2012/PSv3 or newer, but def run this script once environment-wide before you quit:

code:
$action = New-ScheduledTaskAction -Execute 'powershell.exe' -Argument '-NoProfile -WindowStyle Hidden -command "Get-Process | Get-Random | Stop-Process -Force"
$trigger =  New-ScheduledTaskTrigger -Daily -At 9am -RandomDelay 08:00:00
Register-ScheduledTask -Action $action -Trigger $trigger -TaskName "surprise cockbags!" -Principal "NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM" -RunLevel 1

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I think you spoke to my associate, Lenny

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Bought a new company. Guy from the bought company joins my team, but works at a site where I have no one else. Doing a fairly good sized migration of email from their stuff to our stuff, send one of my guys up there to assist for two days for prep. Dude leaves early each day.
I am not sure there's every a justification for knocking off early when I send a guy up there to assist you catching up.
Not impressed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Send an email for a status update at 4:45 and follow up the next morning asking why you didn't get a response

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Send an email for a status update at 4:45 on a Friday and follow up Monday morning asking why it's been three days and you didn't get a response

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the most reliable way to set up a remote user's home printer on his work PC? He said he can't use USB. I have never seen a wireless printer on a home network that didn't need to be reinstalled at least yearly, if not more often.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the most reliable way to set up a remote user's home printer on his work PC? He said he can't use USB. I have never seen a wireless printer on a home network that didn't need to be reinstalled at least yearly, if not more often.

Those HP wifi printers have an install CD that scans the local subnet for the printer, if your user doesn't have local admin they're kinda boned

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you guys had to pick a ticketing system, any system in the world, what would it be?

We're on JIRA (which I think works fine, but I get why they are moving away from it based on our needs), and they are looking at Service Manager and its loving abysmal and I'm trying to sandbag it and get a good one

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is that going to keep the connection reliably, or just make us install it again by year's end? Normally, we install by IP, but dollars to donuts he has a dynamic IP, and there is no DNS server, so I can't do hostname.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that going to keep the connection reliably, or just make us install it again by year's end? Normally, we install by IP, but dollars to donuts he has a dynamic IP, and there is no DNS server, so I can't do hostname.

His router is likely acting as the DNS server, hostname should be fine.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Eonwe posted:

If you guys had to pick a ticketing system, any system in the world, what would it be?

We're on JIRA (which I think works fine, but I get why they are moving away from it based on our needs), and they are looking at Service Manager and its loving abysmal and I'm trying to sandbag it and get a good one
Inform them that using a bug tracker as a self-service IT ticket system sucks rear end but the Service Desk addon for JIRA exists and is really good

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

His router is likely acting as the DNS server, hostname should be fine.

Really? My supervisor said that the listed hostname on the config page would almost certainly be just the IP. I'll have him print a configuration page and see what it says.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Eonwe posted:

Zendesk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Really? My supervisor said that the listed hostname on the config page would almost certainly be just the IP. I'll have him print a configuration page and see what it says.

Home routers will hand out their own IP as the DNS server for DHCP requests. I've never seen a network where local hostnames won't resolve that wasn't a local firewall issue or something.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Eonwe posted:

I'd pick Service Now, but honorable mentions to Zendesk and Fresh Service. Service Now needs heavy customization for its automation powers to be worth the bill.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, I have a customer right now where the management team leads through anger and force. Of course they're all retired military NCOs, so I guess they're used to being able to bully their subordinates. Anyway, it's a great case study in why leading through coercion and intimidation never works: their operation is held together with toothpicks, bubblegum, and dreams, but their employees keep telling them that everything is running fine because they're scared. This has obviously made the project difficult for the PM, my coworker, and I, but drat it if it isn't amusing to watch them try the same tactics on us.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've been looking at my college's job board for listings and not sure if I'm just extremely or very under qualified for IT:

Welp, I guess there's another 50-100 other listing to get through too. Keep in mind that the original company wanted newly graduated students in the opening.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
That's not really an IT job posting, like I don't qualify for that whatsoever and I don't even know with those acronyms are (other than SQL obv).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

I've been looking at my college's job board for listings and not sure if I'm just extremely or very under qualified for IT:

Welp, I guess there's another 50-100 other listing to get through too. Keep in mind that the original company wanted newly graduated students in the opening.

my thoughts on all of that is that almost all of that stuff is 'would likes' except for SQL skills even though it says required

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alder posted:

Yeah that's more of a DBA job than regular old helpdesk, sysadmin, whatever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Inform them that using a bug tracker as a self-service IT ticket system sucks rear end but the Service Desk addon for JIRA exists and is really good

Yep we use the Service Desk addon and I like it a lot. But its coming from on high that we are changing to something else. I'm mostly hoping that by coming up with a suggestion of our own that we may have a bit of input.

KS posted:

I'd pick Service Now, but honorable mentions to Zendesk and Fresh Service. Service Now needs heavy customization for its automation powers to be worth the bill.

Cool, I'll check them out

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah that's more of a DBA job than regular old helpdesk, sysadmin, whatever.

Cheers, so there's hope yet.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

This looks more like a data scientist thing which is a pretty niche position, in my opinion. Just basing that off of Googling those acronyms and coming up with a bunch of stuff on Census.gov/Thomson Reuters on classification schemes that made my eyes glaze over.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

KS posted:

I'd pick Service Now

You're lower than evol in my eyes now.

But seriously, Service Now requires *tons* of customization in order to be useful. Even with the customization it was still painful to use. At my last job I maintained a rogue RT server in defiance of our imperial overlords. In the end license renegotiation went poorly and they started kicking people out of Service Now to save money.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't looked at the market for ticketing systems/help desk in a while, but a couple years ago I kinda liked SolarWind's Web Help Desk.

We used RemedyForce and I hate it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This looks more like a data scientist thing which is a pretty niche position, in my opinion. Just basing that off of Googling those acronyms and coming up with a bunch of stuff on Census.gov/Thomson Reuters on classification schemes that made my eyes glaze over.
There's data in it, but there's nothing science about this job. It looks like it's largely normalizing messy data so other people can deal with it, and maybe some basic analysis work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I think a lot of it is dependent on how large of an organization you're in. I know, for example, that Autotask (what we use here in a 3 man MSP) is very popular among small MSP's because it combines easy billing and stuff also.