Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah I assume they are going to unleash the Starcassonne and Loopin Chewie later this year when the Force Awakens comes out. They also have a new X-Wing core set with x-wings and tie fighters in the style of the new films

I am hype as gently caress for both, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Loopin' Chewie more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Mancers of the University would someone do me a favor and please explain to me precisely how the Golem Workshop works re: temporary mages? Like I get the basic concept, put a mage down there and in exchange you get to place a temporary mage elsewhere, which then goes away later. Fine, okay. So do temporary mages have mage abilities or no? Book doesn't say. How am I supposed to effectively denote "this mage is temporary in the service to this player?" Using the flags with a golem on one side and a magic school emblem on the other? That seems counterproductive since you can only see one side of the drat things anyway, and also there's only one color-coded golemn flag per school anyway so better hope you don't get more than one temp mage.

Like holy poo poo, the book doesn't go into this at all, not even a reference card or something. Throw me a bone here L99.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Mantis posted:

I won $110 in poker tonight and like multiplayer wargames (>2p) but already have Forbidden Stars.

What should I blow my money on?

yes obviously I have A&A what a dumb question

Well, assuming you want lighter games similar to Axis & Allies and Forbidden Stars, rather than the real "wargames" that people have been mentioning, have you tried things like Nexus Ops, Twilight Imperium, Eclipse, or Conquest of Nerath?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of Mancers of the University would someone do me a favor and please explain to me precisely how the Golem Workshop works re: temporary mages? Like I get the basic concept, put a mage down there and in exchange you get to place a temporary mage elsewhere, which then goes away later. Fine, okay. So do temporary mages have mage abilities or no? Book doesn't say. How am I supposed to effectively denote "this mage is temporary in the service to this player?" Using the flags with a golem on one side and a magic school emblem on the other? That seems counterproductive since you can only see one side of the drat things anyway, and also there's only one color-coded golemn flag per school anyway so better hope you don't get more than one temp mage.

Like holy poo poo, the book doesn't go into this at all, not even a reference card or something. Throw me a bone here L99.

I think this is answered here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/115680/official-faq

Yeah, the rules are pretty creaky.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think this is answered here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/115680/official-faq

Yeah, the rules are pretty creaky.

Oh my lord, Brad Talton you're killing me here. There's some important poo poo there! Like golems being immune to Possession. Also there's still no explanation of how you're supposed to use those flags to both denote "this is a golem" and "this belongs to player X" at the same time, well done. I guess we can always just use the generic yellow mage figures that virtually no one ever uses for anything else BUT it might have been nice to have some actual golem figures.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kai Tave posted:

Oh my lord, Brad Talton you're killing me here. There's some important poo poo there! Like golems being immune to Possession. Also there's still no explanation of how you're supposed to use those flags to both denote "this is a golem" and "this belongs to player X" at the same time, well done. I guess we can always just use the generic yellow mage figures that virtually no one ever uses for anything else BUT it might have been nice to have some actual golem figures.

Brad didn't design Argent :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

Brad didn't design Argent :v:

Whoops, Trey Chambers then, my bad. I know it's like one room out of a bunch of other stuff, but I was surprised that it barely rated any sort of mention "oh yeah, here's a room that lets you place temporary mages, well see ya."

The rest looks pretty cool admittedly. I like the little "scenarios" that cause new stuff to happen each day, that looks like it could be fun to mess with. Otherwise my problem now is the same as it was before, namely how do I effectively store all this stuff? I may need to break down and make/buy a custom insert.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kai Tave posted:

Whoops, Trey Chambers then, my bad. I know it's like one room out of a bunch of other stuff, but I was surprised that it barely rated any sort of mention "oh yeah, here's a room that lets you place temporary mages, well see ya."

The rest looks pretty cool admittedly. I like the little "scenarios" that cause new stuff to happen each day, that looks like it could be fun to mess with. Otherwise my problem now is the same as it was before, namely how do I effectively store all this stuff? I may need to break down and make/buy a custom insert.

I put the cards into a card box after I sleeved them and everything else back into the original insert.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Kai Tave posted:

Otherwise my problem now is the same as it was before, namely how do I effectively store all this stuff? I may need to break down and make/buy a custom insert.

I managed to get the game plus expansions back in the base box with a small Plano, a plastic bag for each player color, and hair ties for the rooms/cards. I can post pics when I get home.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kai Tave posted:

Otherwise my problem now is the same as it was before, namely how do I effectively store all this stuff? I may need to break down and make/buy a custom insert.

http://go7gaming.com/product/insert-for-argent-the-consortium/

If you like Argent that much it's a no-brainer, actually holds everything.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

? I may need to break down and make/buy a custom insert.

I use a plano and while it fits in o one box, I bring both boxes and just toss everything in bags and spread it out between the two because I'm lazy.

Some guy on BGG has a nice foamcore thing though, if I'd ever done custom inserts I'd consider it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1426819/custom-foamcore-insert

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crackbone posted:

http://go7gaming.com/product/insert-for-argent-the-consortium/

If you like Argent that much it's a no-brainer, actually holds everything.

I may have to go with this, thanks.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Played Codenames tonight for the first time. Vlaada has done it again.

Taught the game in like 5 minutes, then played a few games in a row before we had to go. Everyone wanted to play it again.

Multiple times made the mistake of giving a hint and then realising that there are many more words that fit it than I thought.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Multiple times made the mistake of giving a hint and then realising that there are many more words that fit it than I thought.

This is basically Codewords, period.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty cool geeklist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/196106/what-i-love-after-six-years-doing-top-40/page/1

This guy went on hiatus for a while but had some interesting posts at BGG in the past

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Pretty cool geeklist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/196106/what-i-love-after-six-years-doing-top-40/page/1

This guy went on hiatus for a while but had some interesting posts at BGG in the past

This is a cool list. I also liked the one you posted by him the other day about frameworks, except all the games on that list ranged from an hour to like 2+, and an hour for a single game is about my maximum these days. It's cool to see what else he likes and his reasoning.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Sinewave posted:

Please do! Never heard of it so I looked it up and color me curious.

So Galaxy of Trian is actually really great with the Beginning of Conquest expansion that's included (it adds the ships and combat). It's like a weird mashup of Carcassonne and a space 4x game and it's pretty awesome. Without the ships for blocking workers/stealing minerals it would be a decent reskin of Carc with some new mechanics, but with the ships it feels like a wholly fleshed out game. Played twice tonight with 3 then 4. The scoring can get pretty crazy high it seems, broke 250 first game and the scoreboard goes up to 999.

Difference in the game from Carcassonne

You are building/scoring planetary systems (roads), nebulas (cities), and empty space (farms), but they all act slightly different. Nebulas, for instance, produce a number of minerals that you start collecting 1/turn that are worth points at the end of the game, and enemy ships can siphon those from your pool to steal your points.

You can leave workers after scoring any closed system, then score them again at the end of the game. You can also upgrade the workers to research and space stations to add multipliers to that endgame scoring, hence the high score possibilities.

You can place workers directly next to another player's worker in the same system, no need to bridge the gap later to fight for a city/road. Adds more conflict and fighting over them. Ships can negate enemy workers letting you have control and score the system, etc.

Overall, I think it's a nice upgrade from Carc, if not as elegant. The added complexity doesn't feel bloated or superfluous, but creates an unexpected 4x style feel in a tile laying game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
While my attempts to play some X-Wing turned out dismally I did get to play through enough games for an unexpected Wednesday trip report.

I finally got to play my first game of Legendary Encounters and yeah, it's actually a pretty decent game. We played with some optional rules to make things a little easier on us since most of us were new to the whole thing, mainly a full round of turns without getting creeped on by xenomorphs. From there I'd describe the experience as "like Thunderstone, but not lovely." Mysterious face-down cards slowly creep along a location track at the top of the included playmat off a curated deck done up in three objective stages. Like Thunderstone cards can give you one of two resources when you play them, recruitment points or damage(? I don't know the actual terminology). You can use damage to try and kill stuff obviously but you can also use it to scan areas with face-down cards to reveal what they are, giving you a chance to kill them early when they can't hurt you. As the cards continue to advance, the farthest one is pushed into a "combat zone" where it then proceeds to dish out strikes (aka damage cards which don't go into your deck but reduce your HP total) to each player on their turn until they're killed.

You use recruitment points to buy beneficial cards, many of which add bigger values of recruitment and damage but also have other effects as well like drawing cards or deck thinning, some let you heal or avoid strikes (but some strikes can't be healed so be careful). Unlike Thunderstone there are very few "you must have X card to use Y card" things going on though some card abilities do require you to play a card with specific iconography to activate secondary abilities. For example, there was a First Aid card that I bought a few of. Playing this card on its own gave some resources, I think it was recruitment, but if you played it after another card that had a "Survival" icon on it then the secondary ability would be unlocked and allow you to heal a strike. So sometimes you'd wind up with cards that couldn't quite trigger due to a bad draw but it was far less frequent and onerous.

Another thing that makes it less onerous is that everyone can, once per turn, play a Coordinate card to benefit someone else, providing them with requisite iconography matches as well as additional damage or recruitment. All of this went a long, long way to making this game actually enjoyable and with a feeling of accomplishment because now instead of "aw gently caress, I'm 2 short to kill this thing" it was "hey I'm 2 short, who can help me out?"

We played through the first movie setup which meant that objective the first was simply revealing both parts of the SOS. This is where scanning areas to flip cards can come in handy to speed the process along...though scanning isn't always risk free, since it can reveal Event cards that usually cause complications, facehuggers that facehug you (and will implant a chestburster in your deck if you don't kill it fast enough), and other bad things, so it's not always going to be a cakewalk. The second objective required us to seal the Vent Shafts (aka the very first location that facedown cards slide along) by A). clearing it of obstacles (aka killing whatever's on there) and B). paying some recruit points. From there the third objective is to find the specifically denoted xenomorph (The Perfect Organism) and kill it...except you can only kill it while it's in the Airlock location and you've attached the Airlock Controls to it.

This all sounds complicated and really fiddly but in practice it worked out really well...I gather that each movie's setup gives you precisely the sorts of cards you'll want to try and handle the scenario in question, for example an Electric Prod card which could move enemies from the Combat Zone back to the impending threat track was perfect for herding The Perfect Organism back into the Airlock (the Airlock Controls card itself could also be used to do this at a cost of resources). By the end of the game we were all pretty close to dying and one of us had a chestburster buried somewhere in their deck, but with one last group effort we managed to clear the airlock space, shove the head xenomorph in there, and hit it with a three-way coordinated attack to finish it off.

On the one hand this is basically what I think a game like Thunderstone needs to be genuinely good, which is very careful planning and curation to ensure that the cards all play off one another well and threats are reasonably paced along with cards that promote synergy instead of being reliant on combinations to function at all. On the other hand this all went to highlight the immediate problem with this sort of thing which is a huge amount of setup and takedown time as you have to arrange a dozen piles of cards just so, then separate them all afterwards. Also while none of us died the fact that player elimination could theoretically happen early on with some bad strike pulls seems problematic. I'm aware that part of the rules is that the first player who dies gets to come back as a xenomorph and mess with the survivors but I don't know how well that's going to work in practice, and I guess if a second person dies then it could be death spiral city, not to mention having to tell Bob "well, guess you weren't the lucky first one to die so instead of coming back in you get to sit out." Maybe it works differently in practice, I don't know.

Then the same guy brought out a couple of card games. Adorable Pandaring is like a game you'd give to 10 year olds. That's not really a dig against it per se, but that's the best way I have to describe it. You get a hand of four cards with cartoon pandas doing goofy things on them, each of which has a number from 1-10. Every turn you play one card face down and one face up, resolving the face up card's ability. At the start of the game an "adorableness law" is chosen denoting which pandas count as adorable...high numbers (6-10) or low numbers (1-5), or odds or evens. Whenever five face-up pandas of the chosen type are face up in play you go to scoring, flip all face-down cards face up, and people get a point both for having 2+ pandas that meet the criteria and having the most adorable pandas out of anyone, then they get to pick a different law and play resumes. First to five points. It's light filler fare and doesn't have a ton of depth but is relatively unoffensive. If I want to play a panda-based game I'd probably pick Takenoko.

Then there's Meow which is...what the gently caress is it with lovely cat-themed card games? You have a deck of cards labeled "Meow" and "Not Meow." You draw a card, look at it, and say "Meow." If someone challenges you then you show your whole hand to them and if you have a single "Not Meow" card then they win the game. If you have nothing but Meows then they're eliminated. That's it, that's the whole game. It's like someone took a bluffing game and lobotomized it. I swear I never thought I would see the game that makes Exploding Kittens seem rich with strategic depth but here it is. I can't even say with as much objectivity as I can muster that this would make a good "drinking with friends" game because Jesus, there aren't even any jokes here, no naughty words or non sequiturs, the entire point is "hey let's go around the table saying meow, haha, won't that be fun? Meow! Haha." This is the game they make you play in hell. Play Coup, play Skull, play almost anything else. It's sole virtue is that it can literally be over in 30 seconds...which unfortunately means that the owner will only want to play it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kai Tave posted:

Then there's Meow which is...what the gently caress is it with lovely cat-themed card games? You have a deck of cards labeled "Meow" and "Not Meow." You draw a card, look at it, and say "Meow." If someone challenges you then you show your whole hand to them and if you have a single "Not Meow" card then they win the game. If you have nothing but Meows then they're eliminated. That's it, that's the whole game. It's like someone took a bluffing game and lobotomized it. I swear I never thought I would see the game that makes Exploding Kittens seem rich with strategic depth but here it is. I can't even say with as much objectivity as I can muster that this would make a good "drinking with friends" game because Jesus, there aren't even any jokes here, no naughty words or non sequiturs, the entire point is "hey let's go around the table saying meow, haha, won't that be fun? Meow! Haha." This is the game they make you play in hell.

This is brilliant. I must find it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

This is brilliant. I must find it.

You're a monster.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Contents
42 Meow (cats)
12 Not Meow (not cats)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Kakerlakensuppe is a similar idea way better executed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Silver Snail posted:

Contents
42 Meow (cats)
12 Not Meow (not cats)

Brb gonna put 42 cats and 12 small dogs in a room and start a game of Meow: LARP Edition.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm actually surprised nobody has made a game called Cats Against Humanity yet.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Okay that meow game is pretty funny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

You weren't letting them attack with four ships or anything, right?

They were, is there something in the rules that says they cant? He was paired up with a Clone player with a 30 attack card in a permanent alliance til one backstabbed the other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I remarked, politely, that there didn't seem to be much game to meow, and the owner's response was "Well there's not supposed to be!" Which leaves me wondering what the intention actually is besides "some people will buy any old thing." The game store owner commented that there are some games which are regarded as "warmup games," and that Meow seems like a warmup game to a warmup game, which still seems a bit too generous to me.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

We warm up by bullshitting and also taking the time to lay out all the 18xx tiles in numerical order.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So Star Realms is extremely fun, and Epic is not bad either.

Finally got around to playing The Resistance and it was a lot of fun, but One Night Revolution is a lot like One Night Werewolf, but it seems kind of poo poo. If someone gets changed to a spy, then how can you defend that you're not a spy if you don't know??

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kai Tave posted:

Then there's Meow which is...what the gently caress is it with lovely cat-themed card games? You have a deck of cards labeled "Meow" and "Not Meow." You draw a card, look at it, and say "Meow." If someone challenges you then you show your whole hand to them and if you have a single "Not Meow" card then they win the game. If you have nothing but Meows then they're eliminated. That's it, that's the whole game. It's like someone took a bluffing game and lobotomized it. I swear I never thought I would see the game that makes Exploding Kittens seem rich with strategic depth but here it is. I can't even say with as much objectivity as I can muster that this would make a good "drinking with friends" game because Jesus, there aren't even any jokes here, no naughty words or non sequiturs, the entire point is "hey let's go around the table saying meow, haha, won't that be fun? Meow! Haha." This is the game they make you play in hell. Play Coup, play Skull, play almost anything else. It's sole virtue is that it can literally be over in 30 seconds...which unfortunately means that the owner will only want to play it again.

When should I expect the PbP?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

When should I expect the PbP?

righ meow

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Please donate to the Kickstarter for my new card game CAT-ASTROPHE!!! Contents include a premium printed deck of 100 identical cards all of which say "gently caress You." As a special ~wacky bonus feature(!!!)~ all boxes also contain a white phosphorus grenade primed to detonate when you open the lid. At the $10,000 pledge level I will personally fly to your home and discharge an airhorn directly into your ears until you go deaf. Cats!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

They were, is there something in the rules that says they cant?

IIRC the race that counts all its ships as 4 can only send a single ship when attacking or allying. The only way to use more ships is when defending (or using their flare maybe?)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Finally got around to playing Cosmic Encounter at the weekend and my whole group pretty much unanimously agreed it was awful. There wasn't a single turn that passed without someone saying the equivalent of "that's bullshit, how do you get to do that? That makes me feel like I'm getting unfairly shafted, but as we're all good mates and good sports that's all I'm going to say."

Basically, all the worst bits of old games where you feel like you don't want to play any more, combined with absolutely none of the good "aha!" bits that usually accompany them. I'd write a more coherent criticism but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I really can't be arsed.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thinking about getting Samurai Spirit and SOS Titanic.

Any reason not to buy these?

Edit: Oh, and is Fleet any good?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 3, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bubble-T posted:

Kakerlakensuppe is a similar idea: way better executed.

Fixed that for you.

Re: Legendary Encounters - it's actually not all that time consuming to set up and break down. You pull out the objective and location cards for the scenario and put them in place; take the three appropriate decks and add one Drone for each player, shuffle separately and stack to form the Hive; take a Base deck and random avatar for each player and add the Role card to the deck; take four character decks (usually the four for characters from that movie) and shuffle them together to form the Barracks. Put them on the mat along with the Strike, Sergeant and Hatchery decks and you're ready. Breaking back down is as simple as dealing the cards into their named piles and making sure each Base deck has a 5/7 split.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC the race that counts all its ships as 4 can only send a single ship when attacking or allying. The only way to use more ships is when defending (or using their flare maybe?)

You are correct, the Macron can ordinarily (without the use of flare cards) only use a single ship when attacking or allying. Also, a Macron only gets 2 rewards or compensation per ship (some people forget and take 4).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I got Archipelago to the table for the first time last night, and we played with the public objectives variant in order to help learn it for the other players - our 3 objectives were churches, ports, and exploration tokens. There was initial confusion over how the 'free' actions (using ports/markets you built and operate) worked but that got cleared up pretty quick. The other players didn't really contribute too much to the crisis that showed up and i was unable to most of the time, so the entire game we were on the brink of revolution, only pulling off an end condition in the last round. One could not wrap their head around why they should care about the population effects or unemployment, but i think ended up figuring that out with how quickly everything started tanking in the last couple of rounds. Same thing with how important buildings were, since nobody but me was really slapping them down. I hit a quick dead end early on with a difficult to fit area for exploration - i required a couple of apparently rare adjacent tiles in order to fit any.

I passed on picking up a couple evolution cards that would have helped with some of our problems - unemployment and rebellion in particular, since i didn't think the short objective game we had would take as many rounds as it did.

In the end I lost by one point as i mostly forgot about the church card, so i wasn't able to score on it.

Next up, Argent.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One Night Revolution is a lot like One Night Werewolf, but it seems kind of poo poo. If someone gets changed to a spy, then how can you defend that you're not a spy if you don't know??

This same thing can happen in ONUW where a player becomes a werewolf and doesn't know it (troublemaker primarily will do this, also Alpha Wolf in Daybreak expansion). As someone who plays a lot of ONUW I don't think that is ONR's biggest problem, but I'm starting to agree that it feels like of lovely compared to Werewolf, which is too bad because on paper a lot of what it does sounds really awesome, but the games all feel really, really flat to me after a half-dozen plays or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My question is how is One Night Vampire? I saw that one trailer vid and I had a lot of trouble understanding what the gently caress was going on :stare:

I'm hoping at the very least, some of the roles are just easy to use in ONW because thats really all I want