Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Being Kami/Kami's weird mentor probably comes with a clause that you can't really fight properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That dude was the only person who trained with Freeza for four months and survived.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
is it Freeza or Frieza,

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zzulu posted:

is it Freeza or Frieza,

Yes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zzulu posted:

is it Freeza or Frieza,

Are you a nerd or a casual fan?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

freezer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

フリーザ

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zzulu posted:

is it Freeza or Frieza,

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's furiza you baka gaikins

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

フリーザ

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does Fresco (sp?) ever take his final form? I feel like it's another Saiyan situation, where the writers will just keep adding another stronger form because they want to.

Is there a graph or something comparing how strong different villains are or how strong characters get throughout the whole series? After a while, it's just hard to keep track of just how many punchman points these people have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Does Fresco (sp?) ever take his final form? I feel like it's another Saiyan situation, where the writers will just keep adding another stronger form because they want to.

Is there a graph or something comparing how strong different villains are or how strong characters get throughout the whole series? After a while, it's just hard to keep track of just how many punchman points these people have.

Every villain is stronger that the previous villain who is stronger than the heroes until the very last fight where the heroes get stronger. The exception is Kid Buu who is weaker than Super Buu but more batshit crazy.

Goku > Vegeta > everyone else who is worthless and sucks and will never do anything useful again > Yamcha.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ImpAtom posted:

Every villain is stronger that the previous villain who is stronger than the heroes until the very last fight where the heroes get stronger. The exception is Kid Buu who is weaker than Super Buu but more batshit crazy.

Goku > Vegeta > everyone else who is worthless and sucks and will never do anything useful again > Yamcha.

But I wanna know how strong Krillin is in say The Cell Saga, compared to Krillin in the beginning of Dragon Ball. This is important. (no it's not)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mogomra posted:

But I wanna know how strong Krillin is in say The Cell Saga, compared to Krillin in the beginning of Dragon Ball. This is important. (no it's not)

Past the Freiza Saga only the Saiyans and Piccolo really get shown fighting to know their 'power levels'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Who the hell is Fresco?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Some Numbers posted:

Who the hell is Fresco?
Ahum, Lord Fresco.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you can basically safely assume everyone is weaker than the Androids except the Saiyans. Piccolo with his huge power boost was basically fighting somewhat on-par or slightly below Android 17 and he was the strongest non-Saiyan.

Basically if Earth is hosed your line of defense is Goku/Vegeta -> Gohan/Goten/Trunks -> Mr Buu -> Android 18 (and maybe 17 if he decides to stop Park Rangering) -> If they take those guys out you're basically boned.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Who the hell is Fresco?

The new menu at Taco HFIL.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
DBZ really needs to learn a thing or two from One Piece. Strong World has a scene where several of the Straw Hats are fighting against the main antagonist, and they work together and actually get some good shots off. Gotenks just saw Majin goddamn Buu get his rear end kicked but he stays in base form? Come on. And Gohan is taken out by someone throwing a squishy jelly monster at him? It's just all the same tropes from like 20 years ago, it's like Toriyama learned nothing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ImpAtom posted:

I think you can basically safely assume everyone is weaker than the Androids except the Saiyans. Piccolo with his huge power boost was basically fighting somewhat on-par or slightly below Android 17 and he was the strongest non-Saiyan.

Basically if Earth is hosed your line of defense is Goku/Vegeta -> Gohan/Goten/Trunks -> Mr Buu -> Android 18 (and maybe 17 if he decides to stop Park Rangering) -> If they take those guys out you're basically boned.

Which of course leads into the broken record that is hoping that Super might change that, somehow.

Each week makes that seem even less likely.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, what's the etymology of the phrase "Z FIghters/Z Warriors"? I know TFS poked fun at it in an episode...but where did it even come from? Its been a while since I've watched any of the old dubs, so I don't recall if it popped in in the show itself, or if it was juts a marketing/word of mouth thing in the same vein as Mystic Gohan.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

idgi why do people think that super is going to elevate the worthless humans?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the etymology of the phrase "Z FIghters/Z Warriors"? I know TFS poked fun at it in an episode...but where did it even come from? Its been a while since I've watched any of the old dubs, so I don't recall if it popped in in the show itself, or if it was juts a marketing/word of mouth thing in the same vein as Mystic Gohan.

dragonball z dub, saiyan saga

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dipwood posted:

DBZ really needs to learn a thing or two from One Piece. Strong World has a scene where several of the Straw Hats are fighting against the main antagonist, and they work together and actually get some good shots off. Gotenks just saw Majin goddamn Buu get his rear end kicked but he stays in base form? Come on. And Gohan is taken out by someone throwing a squishy jelly monster at him? It's just all the same tropes from like 20 years ago, it's like Toriyama learned nothing.

To be fair Base Gotenks

1. Are literal children.

2. Might actually be stronger than Good Buu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not mad that dbz hasn't changed, fundamentally

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

But Piccolo trained in the whatever-chamber before the Cell Games! He was about even with No. 17, then went into the hyperbolic chamber and got even stronger, and that was it. He trained again for the World Tournament when Goku said he was showing up. No way did he drop that much. He should still be stronger than Freeza originally was. Goddamnit. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gohan is also way above Goten/Trunks

18 and Buu are also above Goten and Trunks(seperately)

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
So assuming Goku chumps the feakin God of Destruction, where does the series go from there? More driving lessons?

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Goku's been chumping gods for years, there'll be more different gods.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shodai posted:

So assuming Goku chumps the feakin God of Destruction, where does the series go from there? More driving lessons?

We already have one being stronger than Beerus in the series, Whis. We don't know where Champa and FemWhis fall on the power scale. Even if they were weaker than Goku, Toriyama already left an open door for even stronger enemies in the other dimensions, since Beerus pointed out there's beings even stronger than him on some of them.

That said, right now Goku is still below Beerus in the power scale, even with SSGSS. Goku and Vegeta together maybe could beat Beerus, by Whis' estimate, but they refuse to work together. It's likely that by Super's post-R"F" arc they'll be stronger than Beerus though, with how power rises in this series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dipwood posted:

I mean, why would he have learned anything? His work has been praised by all his peers and the market, he inspired a generation of comic artists/writers and an entire genre, and, honestly, he has always viewed the story as the story of Goku. He briefly considered having it be the story of Gohan, but backed-out. Why? Who knows, but I bet it's because he wanted to stick to his guns and end on Goku.

Hell, the two movies were good and, while I haven't really read/watched Super yet, I don't think it's seriously hurting because he's writing in his own style.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus having teamwork hurt bills would be dumb. The whole point is he is above everyone easily. That is is whole thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But also that hard work and brains trumps inborn talent and brawn.
Also something something strength of emotion.

Its like if Naruto was not poo poo magic eyes 24/7 and Rock Lee attained the godhood he so sorely deserves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But also that hard work and brains trumps inborn talent and brawn.
Also something something strength of emotion.

Its like if Naruto was not poo poo magic eyes 24/7 and Rock Lee attained the godhood he so sorely deserves.

I mean, that was definitely true for Dragon Ball, but Super Sayians makes this a little less true in Dragon Ball Z.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already have one being stronger than Beerus in the series, Whis. We don't know where Champa and FemWhis fall on the power scale. Even if they were weaker than Goku, Toriyama already left an open door for even stronger enemies in the other dimensions, since Beerus pointed out there's beings even stronger than him on some of them.

That said, right now Goku is still below Beerus in the power scale, even with SSGSS. Goku and Vegeta together maybe could beat Beerus, by Whis' estimate, but they refuse to work together. It's likely that by Super's post-R"F" arc they'll be stronger than Beerus though, with how power rises in this series.

I read somewhere that SSG Goku was a 6 to Beerus's (full) 10. Do you suppose SSGSS Goku and Vegeta are 8 each?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Does anyone know where I might find a translation of Jaco?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A jargogle posted:

Amazon? That's where I got my copy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A jargogle posted:

At your local book store.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A jargogle posted:

It's also on Comixology if you prefer digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

HGH posted:

Being Kami/Kami's weird mentor probably comes with a clause that you can't really fight properly.

Makes sense. Kami was always restricted from manifesting on Earth, like how he had to possess that one guy to fight in the tournament against Piccolo. And Mr Popo was sparring with Gotenks in the Buu saga and, TFS jokes aside, he never helped fight any of the big threats to Earth and didn't want to go to Namek.

• Locked thread