Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sony is the only company that realizes all consumers aren't retarded and might enjoy a reasonably sized screen with good specs, so they've won themselves a customer in me. I wonder what it will cost. The current Z3 compact is $549 with Bell right now. Maybe if that takes a price chop I'll just go with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
CNet say the new Nexuseses will be announced on Sept 29.
http://www.cnet.com/news/google-will-hold-nexus-smartphone-event-on-sept-29-in-san-francisco/

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Segmentation Fault posted:

What the gently caress is this trend of putting ridiculously sized resolutions on these tiny screens? I thought 720p was fine on my Moto X first gen, I could barely tell where pixels started and ended. What the gently caress is 4k doing on a tiny screen :wtc:

I agree it's kind of crazy, but if you consider VR it isn't so crazy. When you have to split the display in 2 to use whatever VR headset is compatible, it halves the total resolution.

So if you want 1080P in both eyes, you need a phone with a 4k screen.

I won't go into the validity of using your phone with VR but it makes a certain sort of sense in this context.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you think 4K on a phone is for any reason other than to get spec-sheet warriors to look their way, I don't really know what to tell you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

I agree it's kind of crazy, but if you consider VR it isn't so crazy. When you have to split the display in 2 to use whatever VR headset is compatible, it halves the total resolution.

So if you want 1080P in both eyes, you need a phone with a 4k screen.

I won't go into the validity of using your phone with VR but it makes a certain sort of sense in this context.

Why would you need 4k for that? The Oculus Rift final product has a smaller screen.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why the hell are they still using the 810? I guess this at least means there won't be a bunch of unused 810s in dumpsters for Motorola to make the 362 with and burn through wrists.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would you need 4k for that? The Oculus Rift final product has a smaller screen.
Probably because 2400x1080 screens would look kind of silly on a phone. (Final Oculus uses a pair of 1200x1080 screens.)

EDIT: I guess that's not actually 1080p, either.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Probably because 2400x1080 screens would look kind of silly on a phone. (Final Oculus uses a pair of 1200x1080 screens.)

And 3840x1600 isn't?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto X Pure is up at Motomaker now.

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/motomaker/FLEXR6

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

And 3840x1600 isn't?
Yes, 12:5 is a strange aspect ratio, as well, which is why no one is putting it in a phone.

(The Z5 is 3840x2160, which is 16:9.)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

What the gently caress is 4k doing on a tiny screen :wtc:
Because 4K is more than QHD.

Whizbang posted:

Why the hell are they still using the 810?
Because 810 is more than 808 and the 820 isn't available yet.

It's like none of you ever heard of a spec sheet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

and the 820 based phones won't be available to 2016 at the earliest. That means no nexus phones this year, either.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I skipped the N6 (well I got it and didn't like it so I returned it, and the second one I got was broken so I returned that too), but I'm really interested in the N5-2015 as long as it's N5 2013 sized.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Bit the bullet and ordered the Pure Style. Supposedly will ship on the 15th which would be nice.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just grabbed the Pure Moto X (32gb) as well.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Same here- ordered the 16g version, I figure microSD storage is cheaper if I end up needing it. Also saying the 15th for shipping. It should be a nice upgrade from my OG 2013 Moto X, which I still like after 2 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wylie posted:

Same here- ordered the 16g version, I figure microSD storage is cheaper if I end up needing it. Also saying the 15th for shipping. It should be a nice upgrade from my OG 2013 Moto X, which I still like after 2 years.

I really don't understand this thought process when the extra $50 is a massive $2 per month over the lifetime of the device for something you will be using every day. (Or $4 for the 64 GB model.)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
But isn't the main thing that the internal memory can do is hold app data? The camera feeds directly into the microSD, and so does any music.

For this purpose 16gb is too little (especially since it's eaten up by the OS itself), but 64gb is too much unless you're drowning in apps.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Verge has a review up of the new X too.

quote:

But to do better than the Moto X, you have to spend a lot more money, and it’s not clear to me that the investment is worth it for most people. The Moto X has a better design, better performance, and better camera than any other smartphone available for under $500.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

I really don't understand this thought process when the extra $50 is a massive $2 per month over the lifetime of the device for something you will be using every day. (Or $4 for the 64 GB model.)

Especially since SD card flash memory is significantly lower quality than what gets sold to manufacturers for internal storage.

I can't say I'm super comfortable with the way Motorola's been headed since the Lenovo takeover, but I put in an order for a 2015 X and I'll see how things go. Maybe it'll end up being OK.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I was ready to order the X Pure 32GB but Motomaker wants to charge me $40 in tax despite there being no physical Motorola store in my state. Anyway I guess I'll just wait for the phone to show up on Amazon.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

lelandjs posted:

Well right now I have it plugged in and am forums postin' and it's a little toasty. I played Hearthstone on it for an hour or two a few months back and it actually got so warm I got concerned and switched it off for a little while.

[Edit: apparently this is a thing that happens when you have the phone plugged into the turbo charger]
As one of the local battery spergs, my understanding is it is only "turbo" from 0-60% or maybe 75% then it "trickle" or normal charges.
"Shallow" charges are better than doing the whole battery in one go for battery life.

It will get hot for turbo and hearthstone, but it's not so bad of you keep it between 60-90% during your play session, (which is where I try to keep my battery anyway)

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 2, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Not to launch into an SD fiasco, but I'd be willing to bet many will opt for the 16gig banking on the Marshmallow feature that marries the SD to the phone memory.

I know, OMG GONNA FAIL ISSUES but it's going that direction. Buy the cheapest onboard version, add a $30 huge microSD and call it a day. Hope Google knows what it's doing with this new feature. Grandma's gonna be confused when poo poo breaks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Do we know if it ships with a turbo charger or if I need to buy one?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

What the gently caress is this trend of putting ridiculously sized resolutions on these tiny screens? I thought 720p was fine on my Moto X first gen, I could barely tell where pixels started and ended. What the gently caress is 4k doing on a tiny screen :wtc:

I remember when the Droid DNA was the first phone to have a 1080P screen and this entire thread basically rolled their eyes at it as did most reviews. Honestly, in going from a 1280x720 phone to a 1920x1080 I can't say I noticed a difference. If they spent the time and money they spend on more pixels on actually improving the image quality everyone would be much better off.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Oh, I do have unlimited data through Harbor mobile and I stream FLAC from my computer storage drive. (via subsonic)
I'm more concerned about Comcast's data cap than my mobile data.
Won't 4k rape the battery life? My dad bought a 4k TV and computer monitor I think and only one thing he has supports it anyway.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wow, not as many color options as they had in previous versions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Welp, just ordered me a Moto X Pure, and a quick charger. Should be shipped DELIVERED on the 11th but that's probably because I opted for the dark teal back rather than leather or wood.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

:getin:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Super Dude posted:

Do we know if it ships with a turbo charger or if I need to buy one?

This is just a guess, but I'd be surprised if it comes with one. They only included a regular charger with the 2014 model, and I don't see any mention of them changing that for this year's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kreeblah posted:

This is just a guess, but I'd be surprised if it comes with one. They only included a regular charger with the 2014 model, and I don't see any mention of them changing that for this year's.

It ships with a regular charger because a) you choose the color of the regular one and b) the fast ones are separate add-ons.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Wow, not as many color options as they had in previous versions.

Not as many trim options either. I really like the black/bronze trim combination on my '14.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kreeblah posted:

I guess I'll be waiting until after I decide if I'm keeping the phone to grab one then.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So google maps completely tanked my data on my s6 active for the month even though i havent opened the app. I turn on restrict background data but it just turns itself back on the next day. Wtf?

This is stock firmware with only 'big company' apps like my tracks, phillips hue, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Engadget says the turbocharger is included, it's possible they are mistaken.

quote:

On the plus side, with the included Turbo Charger, it only took around 25 minutes to go from bone-dry to 50 percent full. The last half of the charging process takes a little longer, so expect to sit around for about an hour and 10 minutes for a full 0-to-100 percent charge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think I'm going to wait for the Nexus phones and see what they're like. I've been a huge fan of what Moto has been doing for a couple years, but my 2013 Moto X became the worst Android device I've ever used after the Lollipop upgrade. Of course, even Google has done bad updates, but this poo poo just kinda soured me on Moto.

I mean, if I don't like the new Nexus phones, I'll probably still get a X Pure, but I'm definitely going to wait.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Ill stretch my MAXX till 2016, fukkit

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is it just me, or does it seem like Motorola might be stretching themselves a little too thin with how many versions of the X and their Verizon rebrands are coming out? Last year, I was pleasantly surprised with how simple their line was, what with the E, the G, and the X clearly defining and differentiating products for different target markets. Is there really that much of a difference in the mid-high end customer's needs to necessitate the Style(Pure)/Play/Force mishmash?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 2, 2015

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Motorola might be stretching themselves a little too thin with how many versions of the X and their Verizon rebrands are coming out? Last year, I was pleasantly surprised with how simple their line was, what with the E, the G, and the X clearly defining and differentiating products for different target markets. Is there really that much of a difference in the mid-high end customer's needs to necessitate the Pure/Play/Force mishmash?

No, it's stupidly unecessary but Lenovo is probably trying to mime the giant Apple lineup and versions. My friends phone (forget if LG or Samsung...) has those dumb rubber guards on the outside like a built in case and not only is it ugly as poo poo, he also cracked his screen in a few months :lol:

Motorola customers appreciate the simplicity, but the masses prefer having ten options to "differentiate" themselves from other people's phones (Samsung, Apple)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

TenaciousTomato posted:

No, it's stupidly unecessary but Lenovo is probably trying to mime the giant Apple lineup and versions. My friends phone (forget if LG or Samsung...) has those dumb rubber guards on the outside like a built in case and not only is it ugly as poo poo, he also cracked his screen in a few months :lol:

Motorola customers appreciate the simplicity, but the masses prefer having ten options to "differentiate" themselves from other people's phones (Samsung, Apple)
From a branding standpoint it makes more sense to keep the E, G, and X. Apple has only a few models and they are very clearly branded. Most customers aren't as savvy as the people here, so clear product lines really help people understand their options.