Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol it sounds almost like it's a glitch or something that carries over but man that's awesome, I can't wait to try that.

The menu does say "play with your filters" though.

A second player with another controller can even play the movie director and control a lot of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wish Mad Max featured the Nemesis System. I really enjoyed it in Shadow of Mordor.

I'm finding Witcher 3 to be kind of dull, venturing through endless samey woodland landscapes, but it may be that I'm just not in the mood for such a game right now.

This would be cool, but how would you work in the Nemesis system? It hinged around you not being able to die and your enemies not dying when you shoved a sword through their heart :v: Also yeah, I've found Witcher 3 to be one of those games you have to be in the mood for, not just one you can drop in and out of whenever.

Also I turned on the Fury sound option last night. Get in game, right in time for a storm. Holy poo poo my ears

However

LOOT

THERE'S A LOOT IN THAT OUTCROPPING WE'RE FINE THE CAR IS FINE

Ok maybe we're not fine.

I was mistaken we are not fine.

We're fine. :)

I also found a top dog in the basement of a gas station, but killing him didn't give me any paint? :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This game is more like Mercenaries or Just Cause and less like GTA and not even kind of similar to Assassin's Creed so maybe everyone should stop being dumb IDK just a thought, nerds.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

I don't think a derivative mechanic makes a game a "bad game" in any sense, in fact I think a game can be chock full of wholly unoriginal mechanics but still be a very good game on the strength of other factors. That said, I don't really agree that it makes the review suspect - if someone thinks too many games are relying on a certain mechanic, one that they find makes the game more repetitive and tedious, I think that's a fair point. I don't agree with it entirely in this game but I do to an extent, and I have to say that while I do enjoy a number of Ubi's open world games like the Far Cry series, the open world games that stick with me the most are ones that don't have those mechanics - they just feel very artificial and they add a degree of repetition to the open world that I feel is unnecessary and detracts from the experience. Again that doesn't make it a bad game - FC4 is full of this poo poo, I found many aspects of it completely derivative, but I still had fun with it.

No but if someone's criticism of a rap song is something along the lines of "the beat is derivative and relies on a style/sample/break/etc already used in countless top 40 rap songs over the last decade" I'd still consider that to be a very valid criticism, even if it came from Fox News, and even if I liked other aspects of the song.

We all know a 5/10 or a 6/10 review on a AAA game might as well be a zero, though. So they are actually giving the game terrible reviews based on their own fatigue whether they say nice things in the text of the review or not. They are aware of how the metacritic system works and what they are doing to a game's score when they pull poo poo like this. It isn't just "valid criticism", it's sinking the review score because of your own pre-existing mental state.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Flippin heck, you people are seriously upset over reviews.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Deakul posted:

Flippin heck, you people are seriously upset over reviews.

Because reviewers no longer review for the benefit of the consumer, it's now a contest amongst each other as to who can troll the industry and the fan base better while uncritically fellating indie garbage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think on foot movement is clunky but the game is still rad also I'm tired of knocking over scarecrows this has been my review thanks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

natetimm posted:

We all know a 5/10 or a 6/10 review on a AAA game might as well be a zero, though. So they are actually giving the game terrible reviews based on their own fatigue whether they say nice things in the text of the review or not. They are aware of how the metacritic system works and what they are doing to a game's score when they pull poo poo like this. It isn't just "valid criticism", it's sinking the review score because of your own pre-existing mental state.

Let me be clear: I'm not saying I agree with that score or with the majority of what that reviewer wrote - in fact I disagree with most of it. I'm talking very specifically about the criticism of an open world game relying too heavily on Ubi style mechanics, I think that's a perfectly valid point - this game isn't as bad about it as it could be, but I'd still rather see less of that sort of thing and more open world games that take different approaches.

It's not just a matter of fatigue, part of the issue is that those mechanics themselves, IMO, have a negative effect on the gameplay - entirely regardless of the many games that used those mechanics previously. They are mechanics that cause fatigue even within one game because they tend towards repetitiveness.

Personally I think those mechanics used to be a lot worse and are the number one problem with the original AC game - and there was no fatigue from previous games at that point! They have gotten better, but I do think the Ubi style of open world games have always been weaker than the Rockstar or Bethesda styles.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 2, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The menu does say "play with your filters" though.

A second player with another controller can even play the movie director and control a lot of stuff.

oh man this is great. I can't wait to play demented movie director while my girlfriend tries to pilot a cash for clunkers car down a mountain

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Patrick Klepek's responses on twitter to one of the goons in this thread seemed to suggest "Hey everyone has their own opinion about things and I like hearing them all so thanks for the feedback on that review but just because someone doesn't like a game doesn't make it bad and just because it doesn't agree with you doesn't mean it isn't valid."

So basically I agree with him. Which is why I don't read game reviews or give them any credence whatsoever.

Mad Max is a very fun game. I love it. I can see why someone who was forced to play it didn't like it because there is a lot to do and if you're not enjoying the mechanics, it would quickly become tedious and un-fun. I happen to love the mechanics.

This game isn't an "Avoid at all costs" game by any means. But if you hate open world games, maybe you should avoid it (and especially avoid reviewing it).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The mental gymnastics people go through while complaining about reviewers is amazing. Complete disconnect from reality.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Essentially what I wanted was Just Cause: Mad Max edition and this game delivered.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The mental gymnastics people go through while complaining about reviewers is amazing. Complete disconnect from reality.

Much like the reviewers themselves. Life comes full circle.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

At this point its the reviewers going through the gymnastics in a desperate attempt to remain relevant in the face of streamers.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Far cry 3's combat system is too dumbed down to enjoy, and repetitive activities such as searching for scrap and invading small enemy camps gets old fast. Far Cry 3 offers some great experiences, but for a game that tries to impose the realities of survival on you, it does a poor job of following up on this pressure.

Far cry 3 9/10.
Mad Max 6/10.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcfwheL5_g

Gamespot reviewer explains his scoring, sounds like very reasonable complaints to me.

i too have never played a video game before

that guy loving sucks

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Game owns, car combat is meaty and explody.

Protip: going out in a sandstorm and harpooning boxes is THE way to make scrap, each box is 300, you can easy find 5 in a single storm.

I'm streaming for the next few hours here: http://www.twitch.tv/pound_coin

I have no idea what I'm doing with OBS

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm loving how far you can drive beyond the edges of the map and sometimes even find cool poo poo out there - it's exactly the opposite of those annoying invisible walls all over the map in Witcher 3

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Earwicker posted:

I'm loving how far you can drive beyond the edges of the map and sometimes even find cool poo poo out there - it's exactly the opposite of those annoying invisible walls all over the map in Witcher 3

How far did you make it before turning back?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is an incredibly stupid criticism to leverage against these sorts of games at this point. This is a new genre of game. Continuing to make these criticisms is like saying Halo is poo poo because it cribs too much from Doom since both are FPS games.

Not really, when people talk about the Ubisoft formula they usually mean various things, for example collectibles for the sake of collectibles. Now I don't know how much Mad Max really takes from the likes of Far Cry or Assasin's Creed and its all subjective, but when I was playing Far Cry 3 I remember wondering to myself who the hell had the time or interest to find the cavalcade of pointless collectible statues, or lock-boxes in Sleeping dogs, or pigeons in GTA4. It just feels like its there because open world games need collectibles by law. Preferably they would do something to add to the backstory, or build up to a sick payoff (personally I still always thought the way that GTA Vice City's hidden packages unlocked ever more powerful weapons in intervals of ten was a good system, it meant it built up to something cool, did so in fairly small intervals so it didn't feel like a massive pain, and had a great progression curve), but a lot of modern open world games skimp on this, and often they highlight collectibles on a map so your not really searching for them they're just sort of... there and they don't add much to the wider world or experience. Ubisoft games have become well associated with this.

Also its possible for certain formulaic tropes to feel really trite after a while even if they were well used in the beginning. Gears of War is a great game but at a certain point in 2010 or 11 playing 40 different chest high cover shooters with regenerating health and grey environments wore real thin. The same happened with Doom and Halo and Half-life and lots of others, all FPS games weren't Doom clones, but there were definitely quite a number of games that were riding off of that game's coattails without creating their own identity. You can see some of the same stuff with, say the well-worn Radio tower/Stronghold system that permeates a lot of Ubisoft games. At a certain point you wonder if its there because its the thing that the game really needs, or because it's what open world games 'do'.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 2, 2015

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Blue Raider posted:

i too have never played a video game before

that guy loving sucks

His whole loving attitude, from his response to the Chumbucket joke at the very start stinks. gently caress, even the very notion of "I NEED TO CREATE A VIDEO TO DEFEND MY REVIEW SCORE" is pretty ridiculous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

natetimm posted:

Because reviewers no longer review for the benefit of the consumer, it's now a contest amongst each other as to who can troll the industry and the fan base better while uncritically fellating indie garbage.

WHO CARES!!!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how do you upgrade strongholds? i have the parts for a few things but i cant find a prompt or anything

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Guys a reviewer that I disagree with reviewed a game that I think is fun. They don't think it is as fun as I do. Now I am going to theorycraft a bunch of dumb reasons that support my view, because it is not possible for someone playing videogames to have a different opinion than me. How could anyone get tired of sandbox videogames with the exact same mechanics and a different genre slathered on top? I cannot fathom it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

midge posted:

His whole loving attitude, from his response to the Chumbucket joke at the very start stinks. gently caress, even the very notion of "I NEED TO CREATE A VIDEO TO DEFEND MY REVIEW SCORE" is pretty ridiculous.

warner bros must have bled the payola budget dry with batman

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Blue Raider posted:

how do you upgrade strongholds? i have the parts for a few things but i cant find a prompt or anything

I also missed this. Walk up to the "ghost" of the thing you want to concentrate on and hit whatever button it is for your controls. It will mark the locations for the parts on the map.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Blue Raider posted:

If you got all the parts for something (water/gas/ammo/maggots/etc) go into the stronghold and there should be a blue outline to thing. Go up to it and press A and a little cutscene should play.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Blue Raider posted:

I'm not sure if it's gated somehow, but there should be silhouettes of the improvements you can build sitting around each stronghold. If you interact with them, they'll mark on your map where you can find the remaining items needed to complete that improvement. The stronghold will upgrade after a certain number of improvements are built.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cactrot posted:

Hah, they basically said "when a game like Metal Gear V comes out, we move the goalposts for a game like this"

"I could be playing Metal Gear if I didn't have to review this poo poo game. 6/10"

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

natetimm posted:

At this point its the reviewers going through the gymnastics in a desperate attempt to remain relevant in the face of streamers.

Funny that you mention streamers after all that, as they are actually receiving payola and signing contracts to pretend to like games.

There are a handful of mainstream site reviewers that strike me as terrible (Arthur Gies, primarily) and I'm critical of the way the gaming press clumps on to trends or lines of thinking (PC gaming is dead, everything will be replaced by cell phones, etc.), but for the most part they are normal people writing down actual opinions without agendas other than the personal viewpoints everyone comes into a game with.

Even the harshest review of Mad Max has been pretty fair. Look back through this thread and you'll see all sorts of attempts to dismiss negative reviews without actually reading them or purposely taking the criticisms out of context. This same thing happened when Destiny came out, with people in that thread claiming that reviewers obviously didn't like it because they didn't understand what kind of game it was.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Funny that you mention streamers after all that, as they are actually receiving payola and signing contracts to pretend to like games.

There are a handful of mainstream site reviewers that strike me as terrible (Arthur Gies, primarily) and I'm critical of the way the gaming press clumps on to trends or lines of thinking (PC gaming is dead, everything will be replaced by cell phones, etc.), but for the most part they are normal people writing down actual opinions without agendas other than the personal viewpoints everyone comes into a game with.

Even the harshest review of Mad Max has been pretty fair. Look back through this thread and you'll see all sorts of attempts to dismiss negative reviews without actually reading them or purposely taking the criticisms out of context. This same thing happened when Destiny came out, with people in that thread claiming that reviewers obviously didn't like it because they didn't understand what kind of game it was.

Thats a really good point because the first week or so when the reviews for Destiny hit no one here was actually believing them and look where we are now.

Also gently caress scores. You should know by now to just read the text and always remember that its an opinion.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thats a really good point because the first week or so when the reviews for Destiny hit no one here was actually believing them and look where we are now.

Also gently caress scores. You should know by now to just read the text and always remember that its an opinion.

Destiny is still fun and people are still playing and Taken King will make lots of money.

kthx :)

Also, you and I can say "gently caress scores" all the live long day, but the publishers really care about their metacritic scores. So, if you enjoy a game and people give it 6/10's (which is a 0/10 for a AAA game, lets be honest) then you can say goodbye to seeing more games like that in the future.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Darwinism posted:

How could anyone get tired of sandbox videogames with the exact same mechanics and a different genre slathered on top? I cannot fathom it.

Getting tired of it is not a valid reason for negative review score. I don't care if you get tired of it, if you're getting sick of video games maybe you shouldn't have taken the job as a video game reviewer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

Destiny is still fun and people are still playing and Taken King will make lots of money.

kthx :)

Also, you and I can say "gently caress scores" all the live long day, but the publishers really care about their metacritic scores. So, if you enjoy a game and people give it 6/10's (which is a 0/10 for a AAA game, lets be honest) then you can say goodbye to seeing more games like that in the future.

Yeah good I don't want more Ubisoft style open world games. Good riddance imo

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Getting tired of it is not a valid reason for negative review score. I don't care if you get tired of it, if you're getting sick of video games maybe you shouldn't have taken the job as a video game reviewer.

How is it not a valid reason? "We've seen this exact same formula a dozen times, and this does nothing new except be Mad Max," is a 100% valid criticism. Games don't get to be reviewed in a complete vacuum, they're naturally going to be compared to other games of the same type.

The game is fun but it's nothing new at all, and I can definitely see how that'd negatively impact it in a lot of people's eyes, especially when there are sandbox games that do try to innovate rather than taking a bunch of mechanics that Ubisoft has famously made several AAA franchises copying and pasting.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Did any of you get the Ripper car body unlocked on Steam yet? It seems like some people did, and apparently some people got a separate key to activate it when pre-ordering the game. Green Man Gaming gave me only one key though. :(

Ah OK, GMG says:
Your game may not contain the pre purchase content / DLC. We are working with the publisher to provide this for you as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Anyone figured out the balloon in Wailing Wind, Pink Eye's territory? The generator for the winch is out of fuel, and I can't seem to refuel it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Darwinism posted:

How is it not a valid reason? "We've seen this exact same formula a dozen times, and this does nothing new except be Mad Max," is a 100% valid criticism. Games don't get to be reviewed in a complete vacuum, they're naturally going to be compared to other games of the same type.

In what world is "product X is no worse or better than product Y, it is simply in a different color" leading to "product X score=5, Product Y score=9" not utterly insane? At worst Mad Max is as good as any Ubisoft collectathon - but because the Ubisoft collectathon exists, and is just as good, Mad Max gets what equates to a "lovely game, avoid"-score?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

In what world is "product X is no worse or better than product Y, it is simply in a different color" leading to "product X score=5, Product Y score=9" not utterly insane? At worst Mad Max is as good as any Ubisoft collectathon - but because the Ubisoft collectathon exists, and is just as good, Mad Max gets what equates to a "lovely game, avoid"-score?

Also, since when are new and ambitious mechanics prerequisites for being a good game? It's simply not a :mediocre: game but it isn't :perfect: either. It's an 8/10 game and maybe a 10/10 for big Mad Max fans; a 6/10 score is just insanely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Sorry to divert the discussion from game reviews for a minute but....

I started improving Jeet's stronghold and wow it really makes a huge difference in how I play the game. For the better, IMO.

I collected the parts to make the water collection device, the armory, the oil rig, the scrap collection team that finds scrap WHILE I AM OFFLINE and a group that cleans up my wrecks.
My game has become less about jumping out of my car to collect every scrap of scrap that drops out of a wreck and more about finding more people to murder.

I wasn't sure how they'd work but it is straightforward. The water, guzzoline and ammo all top up when I get to Jeet's hideout. As soon as I bash a car into a flaming wreck, rather than fling off two pieces of scrap, the game says "Your scrap collection team has added x to your scrap pile" or something like that. It's like a Christmas miracle! I have so much more time for meticulously clearing every section of the map :3: It was so cool logging into the game earlier and it said "Your scrap team found 178 scrap for you while you were gone."

• Locked thread